PDA

View Full Version : The New Special Teams Plan

SteelKnight
04-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm loving the Steelers new plan.

In the past the Steelers had accumulated a bunch of players who were special teams experts but wo had absolutely no development potential in their natural positions. These include players like Morey, Madison, Woods, Bailey, Arnold Harrison, etc. This might be OK if they were good but they sucked.

In looking at the steelers draft picks, it seems most play special teams so we will be able to give them spots and let them play ST for us while they hone their skills.

This means we can get rid of ALL those ST only people...ALL. The only one I want to keep is Logan.

Let's give those roster spots to players who we are developing in other areas and who have true potential to be good at some other position. Tis will keep our team young and fresh.

Kudos.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Logan is going to have a HARD time making this team... At least he'll have the pre-season of 2009 as his 15 minutes of fame...

sharkweek
04-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I agree with you but I think Logan might go. As easy as it is to root for the guy, the fact that he serves no other purpose doesn't bode well for him. The fact that he was only solid during the regular season and not spectacular doesn't really justify keeping him over someone who can return and play another position.

tony hipchest
04-24-2010, 07:05 PM
i agree. it seems that the message has been sent loud and clear. no job is safe and there will be open competition across the board... 1-53.

the only "safe" ones are probably miller, troy, and hampton.

everyone else has youngsters or return veterans nipping at their heels. time to cut the dead weight. all the open competition will do wonders for the team in camp.

SteelKnight
04-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Logan is going to have a HARD time making this team... At least he'll have the pre-season of 2009 as his 15 minutes of fame...

Yeah...I agree but he brought me some comfort. I remember the year before with Moore, Russell and Holmes. I was majorly stressed each time. With Holmes I was nervous he would get hurt.

I don't like starting Wide receivers returning kicks. To me, it is too dangerous. It will make me nervous if Wallace plays ST. He didn't do much KR last year anyway.

I think both WRs and the CB return kicks so it might be better to give one of them a spot than Logan.

SteelKnight
04-24-2010, 07:14 PM
i agree. it seems that the message has been sent loud and clear. no job is safe and there will be open competition across the board... 1-53.

the only "safe" ones are probably miller, troy, and hampton.

everyone else has youngsters or return veterans nipping at their heels. time to cut the dead weight. all the open competition will do wonders for the team in camp.

Right on. I love the way you said dead weight. Thats what they are. Arnold Harrison, Patrick Baily, Donavan Woods? Antony Madison? Really? What a waste of 4 spots in the past. Now we can fill those spots with young fresh legs who have potential to develop in their natural positions.

wdsteel
04-24-2010, 08:01 PM
also like the new look coming to ST...should be a improvment as well as keeping OLB fresh with Worilds

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Logan's problem is that he's a guy without a position...

The other thing we need to bear in mind is that we'll only keep five WR's. So even Sanders will have his work cut out for him. If Sweed has a miraculous transformation this offseason and shows up MUCH improved, he becomes the x-factor to another guy losing his position on this team. Tomlin will be forced into a decision to keep 6 WR's and that shortens up another position.

If so, Logan is gone.

Preacher
04-24-2010, 09:01 PM

The other thing we need to bear in mind is that we'll only keep five WR's. So even Sanders will have his work cut out for him. If Sweed has a miraculous transformation this offseason and shows up MUCH improved, he becomes the x-factor to another guy losing his position on this team. Tomlin will be forced into a decision to keep 6 WR's and that shortens up another position.

If so, Logan is gone.

The thing about Sweed that dawned me from one of Tony's posts, is that he had wrist surgery his senior year on his tendons. I wonder if part of his problems have simply been left over from his hands not being strong enough yet??

I was actually thinking that Logan would move back to running back and at least be hidden away for that "Well, if everyone else is hurt, least we know he can carry the ball" position. But with the drafting of Dwyer... I don't think that'll happen.

Sad, I actually was pretty excited everytime Logan went back there. IF he is gone, I wonder who handles kickoffs and punts, because from what I have heard, ARE doesn't want that job anymore.

Or this question-- with Dwyer and Mendy- do we actually cut MeMo now? I'd say no, as Logan doesn't have the hands that MeMo has for a third down back, and I doubt Mendy is going to be a 3 down back (don't want him to be, don't want the body abuse on him). However, Logan is a better special teams player than MeMo on coverage (hilarious watching him tackling sproles last year).

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-24-2010, 09:49 PM
I think they'll go 3 deep with RB's and Dwyer will probably be fighting Vincent for a roster spot? Moore's safe...good receiver. I saw that Dwyer caught something like less than 10 catches in his college career...LOL!!

I just don't see any way that Logan sticks with this team. And the part that bothers me is that the kid IS talented!! The Steelers can't seem to nail a return guy, and one has to wonder why. Allen Rossum had success written all over him, yet he stunk up the joint here.

But like you, I hope Sweed comes in ready to go. He will get every shot to succeed, and I believe he will see the field the MOST come pre-season. They will evaluate him with scrutiny, because if he doesn't bring it, he's gone. But he's got something going for him: second round draft pick - they don't up on those quickly.

SteelKnight
04-24-2010, 11:12 PM

If so, Logan is gone.

I think we keep 6WR this year. In fact, last year they called Logan a WR (now being called a RB).

You know that we are not putting our 3rd round pick on the practice squad for someone else to steal...nope...not happening. He may be inactive but he'll make the 53 man team.

So 1.Hines, 2. Wallace 3.Sanders (all locks)
Probably: Randel El
Maybe: Sweed, Battle, Brown

I believe 2 out 3 of the maybe category will make it.

It's all going to be tight especially with the extra spot we have to use for the 4 QBs if the Steelers want Ben to practice and be on the sidelines (They may decide against this -I wouldn't).

I believe they can cut back on the excessive waste they had at OLB just to play special teams. That's where the extra spot will come from. As long as these new guys can play special teams, they are good.

Battle may be the outs. They only really got him for ST and if they have real potential who can also fill that special teams role, he is not needed.

Waste: Baily, Woods, Arnold Harrison, Andre Fraizure, Anthony Madison. Good bye to all 5.

Replace with at least 2 OLBs from our draft (Worilds, Gibson) Foote already took a spot. That leaves 2 spots.

SteelKnight
04-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Keep in mind we also cut Travis Kirscke, Cedric Wilson, Deshea Townsend, Willie Parker, and Tyrone Carter so there is some room.

That's potentially 10 new faces.

Also just because they offered Eason an extention doesn't mean they can't cut him. I think they are paving the way for releasing Batch. Tomlin today was saying we have to see how Batch is after shoulder surgery. He wasn't saying all that before he got Leftwhich and signed him to a two year deal. Tomlin even agreed it is impossible to get 4 QBs ready. I say they cut Batch, sign some dumb free agent camp arm to go to the PS and they play with just 2 QBs (and Ben) on the roster for the first 4 games. If it is an in game emergency, Randel El could play QB.

Further, My opinion is having Eason on the team inders the development of the young players. I think as soon as either Smith or Keisel goes down, you want to get Hood in there. If both go down, oops. They should have Ra'Shon Harris ready by then and if he is not, it is because Eason keeps stealing all the prep. Anyway with Kirscke gone, they can afford to keep 3 more besides the Starting two so Hood and 2 out of Eason, Harris and Worthington. Most likely Worthington will go to PS but you never know.