PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go Hmmmm....

RJC
04-25-2010, 01:50 AM
I wish someone could explain to me the line of thinking is our war room. I really do. Coming off what I consider to be the worst Steelers draft in recent memory, I can't help but wonder what goes on in the minds of the brain trust here. In ever single last players ranking Bryan Bulaga was rated higher that Maurkice Pouncey. There wasn't one I saw where he wasn't. Not a single one. In drafting him, you enable the Steelers to solidify multiple positions. If Bulaga comes in, and plays RT, it allows us to kick Colon inside to where he's build is better suited to play. His short arms, bad feet, and "inside the phonebooth" technique make him a natural OG. By drafting one player like Bulaga, you get better at two positions. Pouncey may end up tp be a good player, but he's makes a single position better, on a OL that needs to be upgraded in multiple spots.

Next is Jason Worilds. Here's a guy that shouldn' have sniffed the 2nd round. Not by a long shot. He wasn't rated higher than the 7th, or 8th best OLB. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, James Farrior is 47 years old, and the 2nd best ILB in the draft is sitting there in Sean Lee. A local kid, that to me is a virtual clone of Farrior. Instead, we take a guy with no chance to see any significant playing time, what so ever. Unless of course you feel the front office intends on letting Woodley walk, or trade/release Harrison. Another pick that makes no sense.

Next there's Emmanuel Sanders. At 5'10" and 185 lbs, he might as well have been Emmanuel Lewis (Webster). On a team with Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sweed, & Battle, we draft a short & frail WR, that wherever you look, wasn't slated to go before the 5th round. In the meantime, we pass on Jordan Shipley, who was ranked higher in every single scouting report. Again, it doesn't make sense. None.

Thadeus Gibson, is another example. We don't "NEED" OLB's. The two we have are the best in the business. We do this, knowing we need DB help, and Owusu-Ansah, Akwasi is sitting there. That kid is the next Ike Taylor. Raw, but freaky measurables. We take a OLB on a team that already has 3 ahead of him.

Stevenson Sylvester is a guy who is somewhat intrigueing, and hopefully is projected at ILB. We need the help, but he does not compare to Seen Lee. Now, who does he push off the roster? Farrior? Nope. Foote? No chance. Fox? I don't think so. Lee could have beaten all 3 of them.

Chris Scott is another failed attempt. Back when the Steelers OL was legendary, it fielded three 1st round picks in Faneca, Hartings, & Simmons. A 2nd rounder in Smith, and a 3rd rounder in Starks. Starks was the marginal talent of the group. Now we have a 3rd rounder in starks, a 6th in Kemoeatu, a 6th in Hartwig, a 1st in Pouncey, a 4th in Colon. You can't field a dominant OL with scraps. Yet, that's exactly what we continue to try and do.

Crezdon Butler is camp fodder, and with the arrival of McFadden & his new contract, has no shot of making this team. None.

Jonathan Dwyer, may be my favorite pick of this draft. A true talent that fell. He's a hammer of a runner, and I expect him to make the team, and contribute signficantly. Think Tashard Choice in Dallas. A inside, between the tackles power back. Something this team has been trying to find since Bettis' retirement.

Antonio Brown? He's an exact clone of Emmanuel Sanders. Exact. Where is this kid gonna play? We're not carrying 15 WRs, and we're not cutting a 3rd round pick. If he's to make the team, it means Sweed is done. It also bring us right back to not having a WR over 6'0", and Ben has already gone on record as saying he prefers taller WRs.

Doug Worthington is interesting. He has protypical 3-4 DE build and play set. From a physical standpoint he's what you look for in a 3-4 DE. However, with Smith, Keisel, & Hood entrenched, and Eason & Paxson in reserve spots, it'll be hard to break the 53.

All in all, we draft 10 guys. 5 will make the team, maybe 6. It makes you wonder why they dont try and cut those number back by moving up spots. I'd much rather trade up onto the 2nd a 3rd rounds, and not have any late round picks. The talent level from the 4th round on is similiar to that of UDFA's. Get 5 or 6 picks on the top 3 rounds and be done. Get an early start on UDFA's from round 4 on. In the end, I don't get it. I just don't get it....

OneForTheToe
04-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Maybe the front office doesn't care about the rankings "draft experts" give players? You can't judge the draft yet. It could be a terrible draft. However, if Pouncy becomes a Pro bowl level center, and Dwyer becomes a beast following him into the end zone for years, will you feel the same way? What if one of the OLB eventually becomes the Steelers next beast. Not saying it is a good or bad draft. Time will truly teall.

tony hipchest
04-25-2010, 02:40 AM
see this thread for my response-

Our rookie OLB's will kick your ass

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=51673

Tone's Toes
04-25-2010, 02:51 AM
The 2 OLB's we have? One (Harrison) is 32 and the other (Woodley) will be UFA next off-season. The Steelers need depth and long-term solutions soon. Woodley could be a long-term answer (if re-signed), but Harrison will likely have a quick downfall like Jason Gildon did. We need to be ready for that.

Colon is not a guard. He's just not athletic enough to play guard. Colon being moved to guard was a rumor started by a media hack a few years ago and fans have been whining for it to happen ever since. The reality is he can't play guard and he's actually a better RT than Steeler fans think.

I wasn't a fan of the Worilds pick, but the Steelers have their own board. You're taking draft sites rankings as facts and they miss just as much as the GM's. The draft sites said Mike Wallace was a huge reach last year. You regret that reach?

Sanders is the Holmes replacement. Same size as Homes. Same type of WR. He's a tweener type. Not really a deep threat and not really a big possession guy. Route running seems to be his strength like it was Holmes strength.

Steely McSmash
04-25-2010, 03:08 AM
I'll give you credit for the Webster reference.

Otherwise your're full of it.

All the media rankings are based on game film and combine data exclusively. And this is from journalists and talking heads.

Meanwhile every team in the league has a dozen or so scouts plus a coaching staff evaluating players in person, in private. Then after the draft you're all upset because the large professional organization dedicated to evaluating and maintaining the pro football personnel of the team ignored a prospect who was highly valued by the media.

You may or may not know that the team actually brought Bulaga in for a visit. I was kind of mystified by this as he was a top 10 prospect but now I suspect they heard some insider knowledge that he might slide and they brought him in for an evaluation. Clearly they didn't see him as more worthy of the 18th pick than Pouncey.

Now they had this Emanuel Sanders in for a visit and drafted him because they liked him in the evaluation.
Here's a site that ranked him in (gasp) the third round:
http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/wr.shtml#sanders

You might recall that the only backup for OLB is Andre Frazier, who is basically a career backup. James Harrison is an older player and there's no guarantee that they can sign Woodley. On top of all this, it takes a year or two to to develop an OLB and some guys just can't make the transition. So picking two quality prospects makes a lot of sense.

At ILB there are two good backups and Farrior is still probably the starter this year. They weighed Lee versus Worilds and decided on OLB. Nothing against Lee, I was sad to see a local kid have to play for Dallas but there's a very good reason to load up at OLB because there's a real lack of depth.

At DB the BMac trade has been in the works for a while so they didn't spend a big pick and brought in a kid with a high ceiling who might make the team or the PS. Basically same approach with Sylvester. You have starters for a couple years, take a flyer on the guy and see if he can make it.

Texasteel
04-25-2010, 03:41 AM
In the draft site I trust most, 4 of the Steelers picks were ranked in the top 100. Thats not bad. Worilds is a solid 2nd round pick and has a game much like Woodley, Gibson has be rated as a 3rd round pick, and was very productive in school. With those 2 picks the Steelers have stabilized one of their weakest position. IMO.

I was and am THE biggest Bulaga fan here, can I hear an Amen. Pouncey was not figured to be that far behind Bulaga. He also solidifies 2 positions on our line OG, and OC. Its my opinion that the Steelers were more concerned with the center position in the next year or two, and that is the reason they past on Bulage for Pouncey. That make sense to me, and I will trust their decision.

Ward is getting a little older, as is El, and I don't think Battle is a long term answer. That leaves Wallace, and Sweed which, to put it kindly, we don't know about yet. Sanders may have been a little bit of a reach. The last I looked he was figured to go in the 4th round, but moving up. If this is the kid they thought they wanted I have no problem with them reaching a little.

I think that this draft tells us 3 main things about how the FO sees the team.

They are concerned about the interior of the line, mostly the future of the center position, and that Colon is not moving from the RT spot.
They considered the OLB position to be a weak link in the defense, as several of us did as well.
They are pleased with the progress of the young CBs we got last year.

Fact is, we will not know what kind of draft this is for a year or two.

Rick5895
04-25-2010, 04:32 AM
We got depth at OLB, WR, brought back a CB that most people on here complained the Steelers shouldn't have let go, got a great add in Dwyer, drafted a future all pro center.
I felt this is a very productive draft. One thing it did most importantly was BOOST OUR SPECIAL TEAMS. Worilds and Gibson will make a great impact there.

Aussie_steeler
04-25-2010, 04:58 AM
I know the answer to this one

C&C music factory

oDxlzFbYfHY

Galax Steeler
04-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Maybe the front office doesn't care about the rankings "draft experts" give players? You can't judge the draft yet. It could be a terrible draft. However, if Pouncy becomes a Pro bowl level center, and Dwyer becomes a beast following him into the end zone for years, will you feel the same way? What if one of the OLB eventually becomes the Steelers next beast. Not saying it is a good or bad draft. Time will truly teall.

I agree with your post lets see how they do before we throw them in front of the firing squad. About 80% of the people around here labeled Mendenhall a bust now look at his fan base.Lets take the wait and see approach.

Hotrodder07
04-25-2010, 07:06 AM
I have to be honest. Immediately after our OLB picks, I couldn't figure out what we were thinking, but I began to understand it when I realized that we had absolutely nobody on our team capable of starting if Woodley or Harrison went down. Those picks make sense to me now, and I'm actually excited to see them in action.

I'm on the fence on Emmanuel Sanders. I really didn't know who he was until we drafted him, and I was actually pulling for Golden Tate at the time. Apparently, though, the front office saw something that they really liked in this kid, so maybe he'll be like another Mike Wallace for us. We can only hope.

Galax Steeler
04-25-2010, 07:11 AM
I have to be honest. Immediately after our OLB picks, I couldn't figure out what we were thinking, but I began to understand it when I realized that we had absolutely nobody on our team capable of starting if Woodley or Harrison went down. Those picks make sense to me now, and I'm actually excited to see them in action.

I'm on the fence on Emmanuel Sanders. I really didn't know who he was until we drafted him, and I was actually pulling for Golden Tate at the time. Apparently, though, the front office saw something that they really liked in this kid, so maybe he'll be like another Mike Wallace for us. We can only hope.

Alot of people was down on the Wallace pick when we got him. Look what he is doing now. The same can probably be said when we drafted Hines Ward in the 3rd pick 92 now look at him. People flame the players before they see what they can actually do.

solardave
04-25-2010, 07:26 AM
In the draft site I trust most, 4 of the Steelers picks were ranked in the top 100. Thats not bad. Worilds is a solid 2nd round pick and has a game much like Woodley, Gibson has be rated as a 3rd round pick, and was very productive in school. With those 2 picks the Steelers have stabilized one of their weakest position. IMO.

I was and am THE biggest Bulaga fan here, can I hear an Amen. Pouncey was not figured to be that far behind Bulaga. He also solidifies 2 positions on our line OG, and OC. Its my opinion that the Steelers were more concerned with the center position in the next year or two, and that is the reason they past on Bulage for Pouncey. That make sense to me, and I will trust their decision.

Ward is getting a little older, as is El, and I don't think Battle is a long term answer. That leaves Wallace, and Sweed which, to put it kindly, we don't know about yet. Sanders may have been a little bit of a reach. The last I looked he was figured to go in the 4th round, but moving up. If this is the kid they thought they wanted I have no problem with them reaching a little.

I think that this draft tells us 3 main things about how the FO sees the team.

They are concerned about the interior of the line, mostly the future of the center position, and that Colon is not moving from the RT spot.
They considered the OLB position to be a weak link in the defense, as several of us did as well.
They are pleased with the progress of the young CBs we got last year.

Fact is, we will not know what kind of draft this is for a year or two.

AMEN!!!

solardave
04-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Special teams lost how many games last year? At least 2 maybe 3? All these picks except for Pouncey can help there. 2 more wins would have put us in the playoffs last year. I like Mac being back and I agree 2 years from now Pouncey makes the probowl as a center. It all starts in the middle. Think about Dermonti out in front of Jerome. That's what we'll see. Pouncey out in front of Rashard or Dwyer. As Jerome put "smash mouth football-Pittsburgh style!!!" Now we have depth at OLB and maybe one of these guys can play inside as a future replacement for Farrior. Time will tell.

jpa375
04-25-2010, 07:45 AM
I wish someone could explain to me the line of thinking is our war room. I really do. Coming off what I consider to be the worst Steelers draft in recent memory, I can't help but wonder what goes on in the minds of the brain trust here. In ever single last players ranking Bryan Bulaga was rated higher that Maurkice Pouncey. There wasn't one I saw where he wasn't. Not a single one. In drafting him, you enable the Steelers to solidify multiple positions. If Bulaga comes in, and plays RT, it allows us to kick Colon inside to where he's build is better suited to play. His short arms, bad feet, and "inside the phonebooth" technique make him a natural OG. By drafting one player like Bulaga, you get better at two positions. Pouncey may end up tp be a good player, but he's makes a single position better, on a OL that needs to be upgraded in multiple spots.

Next is Jason Worilds. Here's a guy that shouldn' have sniffed the 2nd round. Not by a long shot. He wasn't rated higher than the 7th, or 8th best OLB. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, James Farrior is 47 years old, and the 2nd best ILB in the draft is sitting there in Sean Lee. A local kid, that to me is a virtual clone of Farrior. Instead, we take a guy with no chance to see any significant playing time, what so ever. Unless of course you feel the front office intends on letting Woodley walk, or trade/release Harrison. Another pick that makes no sense.

Next there's Emmanuel Sanders. At 5'10" and 185 lbs, he might as well have been Emmanuel Lewis (Webster). On a team with Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sweed, & Battle, we draft a short & frail WR, that wherever you look, wasn't slated to go before the 5th round. In the meantime, we pass on Jordan Shipley, who was ranked higher in every single scouting report. Again, it doesn't make sense. None.

Thadeus Gibson, is another example. We don't "NEED" OLB's. The two we have are the best in the business. We do this, knowing we need DB help, and Owusu-Ansah, Akwasi is sitting there. That kid is the next Ike Taylor. Raw, but freaky measurables. We take a OLB on a team that already has 3 ahead of him.

Stevenson Sylvester is a guy who is somewhat intrigueing, and hopefully is projected at ILB. We need the help, but he does not compare to Seen Lee. Now, who does he push off the roster? Farrior? Nope. Foote? No chance. Fox? I don't think so. Lee could have beaten all 3 of them.

Chris Scott is another failed attempt. Back when the Steelers OL was legendary, it fielded three 1st round picks in Faneca, Hartings, & Simmons. A 2nd rounder in Smith, and a 3rd rounder in Starks. Starks was the marginal talent of the group. Now we have a 3rd rounder in starks, a 6th in Kemoeatu, a 6th in Hartwig, a 1st in Pouncey, a 4th in Colon. You can't field a dominant OL with scraps. Yet, that's exactly what we continue to try and do.

Crezdon Butler is camp fodder, and with the arrival of McFadden & his new contract, has no shot of making this team. None.

Jonathan Dwyer, may be my favorite pick of this draft. A true talent that fell. He's a hammer of a runner, and I expect him to make the team, and contribute signficantly. Think Tashard Choice in Dallas. A inside, between the tackles power back. Something this team has been trying to find since Bettis' retirement.

Antonio Brown? He's an exact clone of Emmanuel Sanders. Exact. Where is this kid gonna play? We're not carrying 15 WRs, and we're not cutting a 3rd round pick. If he's to make the team, it means Sweed is done. It also bring us right back to not having a WR over 6'0", and Ben has already gone on record as saying he prefers taller WRs.

Doug Worthington is interesting. He has protypical 3-4 DE build and play set. From a physical standpoint he's what you look for in a 3-4 DE. However, with Smith, Keisel, & Hood entrenched, and Eason & Paxson in reserve spots, it'll be hard to break the 53.

All in all, we draft 10 guys. 5 will make the team, maybe 6. It makes you wonder why they dont try and cut those number back by moving up spots. I'd much rather trade up onto the 2nd a 3rd rounds, and not have any late round picks. The talent level from the 4th round on is similiar to that of UDFA's. Get 5 or 6 picks on the top 3 rounds and be done. Get an early start on UDFA's from round 4 on. In the end, I don't get it. I just don't get it....

Thanks for the long winded post. They followed their draft board to a tee. Mark it down , Pouncy will be a HOF'er. Worilds was the steal of the draft from multiple sources. I can go on including 2nd round talent in the 6th. Some people will b**tch no matter who we drafted.

St33lersguy
04-25-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree that draft made absolutely made no sense

43Hitman
04-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I agree that draft made absolutely made no sense

Did you even read any of the rebuttal's? Cause there is some very good explanations in some of those posts, and they may actually shed some light on your negative opinion of our draft. Personally I thought we did very well, the only questionable pick in my opinion, was the second WR. But I'll trust the F.O. when it comes to draft day, as we have had a LOT of success with our picks in the past.

SteelPride1207
04-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Going into the draft....we had clear cut needs. Coming out of the draft....only offensive line was addressed with Pouncey. Fans can rationalize their way around anything (and they may even be proven right over time)...but how can anyone possibly say we did our best to address our primary needs (Secondary help and OL)........especially given the talent we bypassed in some of the early rounds (2nd & 3rd particularly).

Secondary help in first three rounds: None
Offensive line help in first three rounds: 1 (Pouncey)

I agree with the poster who pointed out that we once had 1st/2nd Rd picks on our line...and that line dominated opponents. Like the poster said...Starks (our only 3rd RD pick on the line) was the weakest in the bunch....but now he is considered our best. Therein lies our problems now.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 08:41 AM
In the draft site I trust most, 4 of the Steelers picks were ranked in the top 100. .

Great point!!! nfldraftscout.com had us taking 4 in the top 100 prospects...NFL.com had us taking 5 in the top 100 prospects

Pouncy...Worilds....Dwyer....Sanders....& Gibson

Texasteel
04-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Great point!!! nfldraftscout.com had us taking 4 in the top 100 prospects...NFL.com had us taking 5 in the top 100 prospects

Pouncy...Worilds....Dwyer....Sanders....& Gibson

I think part of the problem is that people are a little afraid of Sanders because they don't know him. Stuck away at SMU you don't get that much coverage, I truly believe that he is going to shock some people.

steeltheone
04-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Special teams lost how many games last year? At least 2 maybe 3? All these picks except for Pouncey can help there. 2 more wins would have put us in the playoffs last year. I like Mac being back and I agree 2 years from now Pouncey makes the probowl as a center. It all starts in the middle. Think about Dermonti out in front of Jerome. That's what we'll see. Pouncey out in front of Rashard or Dwyer. As Jerome put "smash mouth football-Pittsburgh style!!!" Now we have depth at OLB and maybe one of these guys can play inside as a future replacement for Farrior. Time will tell.

Future replacement for Farrior? Thing is, he needs replaced now. The new picks cannot play inside in the NFL

RJC
04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I think part of the problem is that people are a little afraid of Sanders because they don't know him. Stuck away at SMU you don't get that much coverage, I truly believe that he is going to shock some people.

He might, but guess what? He wasn't a need. We have Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sweed, and Battle. Where's he playing? Nevermind Antonio Brown.....:confused:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 09:22 AM
He might, but guess what? He wasn't a need. We have Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sweed, and Battle. Where's he playing? Nevermind Antonio Brown.....:confused:

Those who think we drafted Brown as a WR...have done no research whatsoever.

Texasteel
04-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Guess what? Ward is getting older, El isn't that much younger and people have been crying for Sweed's head for two years now. I think they will find a place for him. I really do thing that the Steelers coaching staff and FO can count almost as well as we do. I believe they have a pretty good idea what they are going to do with him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Guess what? Ward is getting older, El isn't that much younger and people have been crying for Sweed's head for two years now. I think they will find a place for him. I really do thing that the Steelers coaching staff and FO can count almost as well as we do. I believe they have a pretty good idea what they are going to do with him.

Not to mention that Battle was brought in for ST's only. (which seems to be finally getting A LOT of attention)

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Future replacement for Farrior? Thing is, he needs replaced now. The new picks cannot play inside in the NFL

Sylvester was drafted too play INSIDE. He is an OLB only for the purposes of one type of defense. Why do so many poster have trouble realing the key difference between the positions in a 3-4 and a 4-3?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 11:10 AM

How do you figure we need to replace Farrior now? We have Farrior and Timmons starting....with Fox and Foote as backup. That is a solid rotation.

As far as one of them playing inside...I have seen Sylvester mentioned as a possibility.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Sylvester was drafted to play INSIDE.

Thank you...:thumbsup:

wootawnee
04-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Who you gonna boot off of the team we have now?.........

Gay
couple o lineman
Spaeth

We dont have room for a bunch of stars.......

Basically we got 2 positions in the air going into the season........

Right guard......and Cornerback.........That is it........

We got small battles for roster spots......The 5 receivers we keep.......The RB's we keep........The back up lbs we keep........

I think its a great draft..........I would have liked to get a younger guy on the dline, but we trusted the value of our board when we picked.........We got Ziggy .... I am excited about his progress..........Kiesel and Smitty will be fine..........

Good job guys........

cloppbeast
04-25-2010, 11:36 AM
If it means anything, Kiper have the Steelers a B, then again, he always gives them a B.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/22926/mel-kipers-afc-north-draft-grades

Bluedust
04-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Downfall of society, so many people believing the media actually knows anything besides trying to make ratings.

I'll stick with the Steelers on this one.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Who you gonna boot off of the team we have now?.........

Gay
couple o lineman
Spaeth

We dont have room for a bunch of stars.......

Basically we got 2 positions in the air going into the season........

Right guard......and Cornerback.........That is it........

We got small battles for roster spots......The 5 receivers we keep.......The RB's we keep........The back up lbs we keep........

I think its a great draft..........I would have liked to get a younger guy on the dline, but we trusted the value of our board when we picked.........We got Ziggy .... I am excited about his progress..........Kiesel and Smitty will be fine..........

Good job guys........

This might be the end of players like Tony Hills, Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier, Stefan Logan...etc.

AllD
04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
This might be the end of players like Tony Hills, Patrick Bailey, Andre Frazier, Stefan Logan...etc.

Who>?

You can figure a complete makeover on STs. OL was improved too. Anything more is a bonus.

LVSteelersfan
04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Gee, we seem to have people here who think they are better at scouting than the Steeler's scouts are. I think other than the fact they did not find a NT, (not that easy to find) they did a great job on this draft. They obviously think that their picks from last year at CB will pan out. This team is built on its defense and LBs are the key. They have to keep feeding them in for Linebacker U for the future and for depth at a position that is not there. I am not sure about the WRs but I like the rest of the picks for the most part. Like someone said how many positions do you think the Steelers actually have open on this star studded, 2 year removed Super Bowl team. VERY FEW. I like this draft.

Steely McSmash
04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Gee, we seem to have people here who think they are better at scouting than the Steeler's scouts are. I think other than the fact they did not find a NT, (not that easy to find) they did a great job on this draft. ....

I wouldn't be remotely supervised to see some big project guy as a UDFA for the PS this year.

The saints may have snagged Ekom Udofia and Jay Ross according to some reports. Some similar guy would be a good pickup. Or pick up one of these guys if cut by another team in camp.

Indo
04-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Gee, we seem to have people here who think they are better at scouting than the Steeler's scouts are. I think other than the fact they did not find a NT, (not that easy to find) they did a great job on this draft. They obviously think that their picks from last year at CB will pan out. This team is built on its defense and LBs are the key. They have to keep feeding them in for Linebacker U for the future and for depth at a position that is not there. I am not sure about the WRs but I like the rest of the picks for the most part. Like someone said how many positions do you think the Steelers actually have open on this star studded, 2 year removed Super Bowl team. VERY FEW. I like this draft.

Yes

We got depth at OLB, WR, brought back a CB that most people on here complained the Steelers shouldn't have let go, got a great add in Dwyer, drafted a future all pro center.
I felt this is a very productive draft. One thing it did most importantly was BOOST OUR SPECIAL TEAMS. Worilds and Gibson will make a great impact there.

And Yes

pancake
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Those who think we drafted Brown as a WR...have done no research whatsoever.

I have a friend who has seen him play several times and he said he looks like another Brown. Troy Brown former New England and Marshall receiver.

tony hipchest
04-25-2010, 01:47 PM
i had to laugh at so many people upset with the worilds pick who bemoaned passing on CB's and Safeties who were slower and less of a disruptive impact player than him.

probably the same people who complained the loudest about our special teams last year.

JSH6487
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
i had to laugh at so many people upset with the worilds pick who bemoaned passing on CB's and Safeties who were slower and less of a disruptive impact player than him.

probably the same people who complained the loudest about our special teams last year.

The 3 main players people are complaining about being passed on are Golden Tate, Terrence Cody, and Sean Lee. Maybe even throw in Spikes. But hey you'll laugh at anyone who criticizes the Steelers in any way whatsoever.

tony hipchest
04-25-2010, 02:46 PM
you dont know me, mr. april.

but know this... i will laugh at a dumbass thread like some ive seen you start.

wootawnee
05-02-2010, 02:49 AM

I hear that.......

wootawnee
05-02-2010, 02:55 AM
The 3 main players people are complaining about being passed on are Golden Tate, Terrence Cody, and Sean Lee. Maybe even throw in Spikes. But hey you'll laugh at anyone who criticizes the Steelers in any way whatsoever.

Cody dont look too hardcore to me........I dont know about him.....He looks like a dough boy.......I mean look at Casey for cryin out loud........The dude allways wins the weightlifting competition at the probowl.........Doughboy wouldn't even come close to winning that thing........Jamal Williams looks real hard too.....Wilkford is a redwood stump..........

All I got to say is doughboy........Hey if he proves me wrong then good for him.......

pete74
05-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Cody dont look too hardcore to me........I dont know about him.....He looks like a dough boy.......I mean look at Casey for cryin out loud........The dude allways wins the weightlifting competition at the probowl.........Doughboy wouldn't even come close to winning that thing........Jamal Williams looks real hard too.....Wilkford is a redwood stump..........

All I got to say is doughboy........Hey if he proves me wrong then good for him.......

i have no clue how cody or anyother rookie will perform in the nfl nor does anyone else but cody was a beast in college. since being plugged in at tackel no team has had a 100 yard rusher on them. he was the best nose tackel(sorry dan williams) in college football. with that said i would rather have a NT that is stronger in the weight room then cody. hampton is the perfect fit and hopefully we can find his replacement in the next draft.

as for the draft, i loved it. i think we had one of our best drafts ever and may even get 4 starters out of it.

preston0036
05-02-2010, 06:42 AM
man what ever Kevin Colbert decides to pick or any decision he makes im fine with it!!!! proven track record period point blank!!

GBMelBlount
05-02-2010, 06:50 AM
I think part of the problem is that people are a little afraid of Sanders because they don't know him.

Stuck away at SMU you don't get that much coverage, I truly believe that he is going to shock some people.

Hopefully in a GOOD way. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I have a friend who has seen him play several times and he said he looks like another Brown. Troy Brown former New England and Marshall receiver.

I should add a caveat to my statement....Antonio Brown was drafted primarily as a RS...but is a very good WR.

Set-Man
05-04-2010, 11:13 AM
When I first saw the draft I was a bit skeptical especially when they passed on Golden Tate. I didn't think it was a horrible draft but not the best either.

But you know what? What the hell do I know. I get most of my info off the internet. The Steeler scouts saw these guys in action, talked to peers about character, and know about their medical history, etc. I also do not know how the other players are doing: Lewis, Burnett, etc. Maybe they are better than we thought?

My thoughts:
Pouncey: a very very safe pick and a good one who can contribute right away. Seems like a level headed person also.
Worilds: never heard of him so I was surprised but now that I see what he can do, he has the potential to be a great OLB. Only time will tell
Sanders: I actually liked this pick because he is pretty much a Santonio Holmes clone. Was the third too early? Don't know but I doubt he would have been there in the fourth
Gibson: a great pick in my opinion.
Scott: ? Who knows.
Butler: a fast kid who needs lots of fine tuning and is a project player
Sylvester: ILB who may take over for Foote or Farrior in a few years.
Dwyer: If healthy will be a good player. there is a reason why teams passed him over.
Brown: small receiver who will has to be careful his head doesn't get ripped off in the NFL. If indeed he is a Troy Edwards clone then I would be okay with that (Troy Edwards was a first round pick who was average at best)
Worthington: Has the potential to make our d-line rotation in a year or two.

Not too bad. I would have targeted a strong corner in the first round personally. BMac is not our answer but will defintiely be better then Gay.

Things are good.

SteelerFanInCA
05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I liked our draft. It will be interesting to see how these guys pan out over the next few years. I gotta trust the FO and scouts on this one.

markymarc
05-08-2010, 11:41 AM
There was only 1 person I was upset about the Steelers passing on and that was Golden Tate. Outside of that I believe the Steelers did an excellent job with this draft class. We got depth for the OL, WR, DB and LB positions. And how can you fault the FO for bringing back McFadden? Getting McFadden back was huge and can only help our secondary. Here are my thoughts on the picks.

Maurkice Pouncey - Like it or not Pouncey was the best center in this draft. If Justin Hartwig goes down then you are looking at Legursky or someone else filling in. While I like Legursky and think he will make the roster, we need our next great center on this OL. Pouncey fills that need and will play RG this season. I see him as our starting center in 2011. This was the safest and smartest pick at 1.18 IMO.

Jason Worilds - Everyone knows that Lamar Woodley and James Harrison are superstars at the OLB spot. We have been very blessed that neither one has missed a game due to injury at this point. But if an injury happens, then is anyone going to tell me that Andre Frazier or Patrick Bailey will be able to come in with no significant drop off? While I feel Timmons is a great player, how do we know what he would look like playing OLB if needed? Plus wouldn't it be nice to give Woodley and Harrison breathers once in awhile? If you keep players fresh that can only benefit your defense. The Steelers coaches due a very good job of getting college DE players ready to play the OLB position in a 3-4 defense. Of course there have been some very questionable picks for OLB in Huey Richardson, Alonzo Jackson and Bruce Davis. IMO Jason Worilds does not fit that mold. He is very athletic, quick and works extremely hard at his craft. It will take some time to develop Worilds for the OLB spot, but at least we now have some one to back up our all world guys in Woodley and Harrison. Plus Worilds can be a special teams demon until he is ready for game action at OLB.

Emmanuel Sanders - With Limas Sweed going down, this pick looks even better now. Even when Sweed was healthy we still needed to get depth at the WR spot. Yes Sanders is a smaller WR, but he is very quick and most importantly can catch the football very well. While he may not put up Mike Wallace numbers as a rookie, he fits the same mold of Wallace and you can't go wrong with a fast WR who is good at catching the football. Plus we needed someone since Holmes is no longer here.

Thaddeus Gibson - Please see the words for Jason Worilds and fill in Thaddeus's name.

Chris Scott - The biggest knock on Scott is his quickness. I can see Scott as maybe a future RT, but in the meantime he will be a guard. IMO Chris Scott will be a PS player until he is ready to be active on game days.

Crezdon Butler - The best part of our fifth round was getting Bryant McFadden back. Crezdon does have the speed and ability to play the CB position. The only bad part is how willing will he be to make tackles. Butler will be a project at CB, but could possibly make the squad on special teams. I see Butler as a PS player.

Stevenson Sylvester - I really liked this pick. Now while he was listed at OLB in college, Stevenson will move to ILB for our defense. This kid has a lot of upside and I really like he is closing speed, ability to read the plays, taking good angles and of course making the tackles. I see Stevenson as Lawrence Timmons Jr. IMO you can't go wrong with getting depth at the ILB position with young talent.

Jonathan Dwyer - I really don't want to see the coaches run Mendenhall until the wheels fall off. Unfortunately it happened with FWP and I don't want to see it happen to our superstar RB in Rashard. We now have the perfect complement to Mendenhall with Jonathan Dwyer. I am calling it now in that Dwyer will be the steal of the entire 2010 draft class. We were very lucky to pick up this talented RB in the 6th round.

Antonio Brown - I can't fault the FO for taking a chance on another developmental WR in the 6th round. The only chance Brown has at making the team is if he becomes our special teams return guy. Otherwise he will be a PS player.

Doug Worthington - Well at least we attempted to add some depth to our DL with this pick. I like the size of Worthington and feel he will be a DE for our defense. Doug will be a developmental guy and hopefully he is up to the task and gives us more young talent on the DL.