PDA

View Full Version : Grading our 2006 Draft

ricardisimo
04-25-2010, 03:02 AM
There are at least two cliches that you, as Steelers fans, will hear repeatedly each and every year from now until the end of time:

The Steelers rebuild through the draft, at which they are particularly adept;
You cannot judge a draft fairly until three or four years later.

I have my own opinions about both of these dicta, but the best way to determine whether or not they are true is to take them to task. So, today we are exactly four years removed from our 2006 draft, and I say we start a hearty regimen of sober self-assessment.

Here's who we picked. You be the judge; grade each pick individually, or just give an overall... or both:

2006 - Pittsburgh Steelers
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 25 Santonio Holmes WR Ohio State
3 83 Anthony Smith DB Syracuse
3 95 Willie Reid WR Florida State
4 131 Willie Colon T Hofstra
4 133 Orien Harris DT Miami (Fla.)
5 164 Omar Jacobs QB Bowling Green State
5 167 Charles Davis TE Purdue
6 201 Marvin Philip C California
7 240 Cedric Humes RB Virginia Tech

tony hipchest
04-25-2010, 03:16 AM
i dont know about sober self assessment, but those picks sucked.

we coulda had nick mangold #1, but atleast we didnt go with bobby shartpenter. :noidea:

(in holmes defense, snore ice moss and patbust jackson sucked even worse, but i think marques coulston was a TE drafted in the final round.)

holmes coulda been a steeler stallwart, and i hate that i always supported him through thick and thin, and now regard him as a a piece of shit. its gonna suck to watch him go on and have a good career.

even moreso than watching plex win a SB (atleast we didnt trade him to the patriots).

willie colon completely saved that draft and has been a pretty damn good player for a 4th rounder.

steelreserve
04-25-2010, 03:25 AM
That draft flat-out sucked. I think we *almost* got our money's worth out of the Holmes pick, but in the end we didn't. Other than that, Colon was just OK and everyone else sucked the fattest dick on the planet. I mean, Shaq's dick would be tiny compared to the one those guys were sucking.

So we basically had one pick that worked out OK, one pick that would've been pretty good but only lasted a few years, and the rest were a complete stink bomb.

Yes, there's one draft where I DO think I could've done better.

CaliStillersFan
04-25-2010, 04:38 AM
WOW that was an ugly draft. Bongtonio at least delivered one of the most amazing catches in Super Bowl history, so I guess that's the only reason I'm not giving it an F.

D - -

Steely McSmash
04-25-2010, 04:49 AM
Pretty bad.

Couple reasons to not take it so hard:

Reid did lose his agility after injuring his foot.

Harris was with the team but wasn't good enough to be a Steeler. He's a bungle though -- partial credit for a Bungle backup.
Anthony Smith is still in the league as well. Jax right now.

SteelerFanInATL
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Other than receiver what did we really need. What starters were the other going to beat out?

cloppbeast
04-25-2010, 09:09 AM
We got a superbowl MVP out of this draft, for that alone I'd give it a C. Other than Holmes, this draft stunk.

cloppbeast
04-25-2010, 09:14 AM
That draft flat-out sucked. I think we *almost* got our money's worth out of the Holmes pick, but in the end we didn't. Other than that, Colon was just OK and everyone else sucked the fattest dick on the planet. I mean, Shaq's dick would be tiny compared to the one those guys were sucking.

I'm not at all impressed with this draft, but let's at least give credit where credit is due. Colon is a decent tackle - above average. Even if he is just OK, that's still a great pick to find him in the fourth round.

steelerchad
04-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Sure, that's an ugly looking draft. But, I think it should be pointed out that we drafted at the end of each round and had no 2nd round pick that year. So, we move up to take Holmes at 25 who was good, not great. But then we don't pick again until 83. With a bunch of picks near 100 or lower trying to make a SuperBowl caliber roster, most were destined to fail.

Tone was good while he was here. Colon was a pleasant surprise and Smith and Reid were disappointments. The rest moved on with their life's work.

Edman
04-25-2010, 10:26 AM
2006...The last draft of the Cowher Era, and boy did it suck.

As it stands, only Colon stuck. He's a surprise.

Santonio would've redeemed this draft, and he did to an extent because he was good on the field, too bad he kept hitting the stuff.