PDA

View Full Version : Supplement Questions for Steelerstrength, et al

GBMelBlount
04-25-2010, 01:31 PM
I have been working out for a few years and am hoping to take things to the next level strengthwise.

I am currently using BSN NO-xplode (2 scoops) pre workout w/ BCAA's & Glutamine (Pre & Post workout). I also occasionally cycle creatine.

First, I would like to know if there are any other supplements you might recommend for me to consider. I am in my late 40's.

Secondly, I have tried a few powdered whey protein supplements & protein bars and they do not digest well, even with digestive enzymes & probiotics. I am absolutely sick of chicken and would like some alternative sources of simple, ready to eat, quality proteins / supplements that are easy to digest for someone like myself that has a finicky digestive system with respect to certain processed foods and supplements.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Steelerstrength
04-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I have been working out for a few years and am hoping to take things to the next level strengthwise.

I am currently using BSN NO-xplode (2 scoops) pre workout w/ BCAA's & Glutamine (Pre & Post workout). I also occasionally cycle creatine.

First, I would like to know if there are any other supplements you might recommend for me to consider. I am in my late 40's.

Secondly, I have tried a few powdered whey protein supplements & protein bars and they do not digest well, even with digestive enzymes & probiotics. I am absolutely sick of chicken and would like some alternative sources of simple, ready to eat, quality proteins / supplements that are easy to digest for someone like myself that has a finicky digestive system with respect to certain processed foods and supplements.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

GB, if you're using NO-Explode then there is no reason to add any other creatine product to your program. The ingredients include 4 types of creatine. I prefer Jack3d from USP Labs. No additives that will upset your stomach.

Regarding strength, there are specific methods of training for strength or size, or strength for sport, etc. And, there are many types of strength, explosive strength, speed strength, starting strength, etc. But, I'm going to assume you're looking to increase the weights that you perform your chosen routine, based on previous conversation and by the product you take.

You know I'm a firm believer in "Strength is voluntary!" You can define that as choosing to be as strong as you possibly can, by utilizing maximum effort. Many people believe they train hard, and with intensity. Some have never tapped into, or unleashed, that internal animalistic behavior that will blow your mind and increase your confidence when lifting heavy.

That said, you must eliminate any questions to wether you're doing everything possible to attain the goal. No bullshit complaining about what you're eating, just make sure you have the fuel! Make sure you cook enough protein for a few days at a time. Add your favorite hot sauce or salsa to your chicken, turkey, or fish. Alternate your carb intake with basic staples that are great tasting and awesome for glycogen storage. Suggestions: Steel Cut Oats, rice, red-skinned potatoes, yams. For treats make some oatmeal cookies with raisins or cranberries, with less butter & sugar, and don't forget to take enzymes!

My point, if you want to be strong then be strong about everything! From your food choices, rest, play, and most of all your training! No skipping meals, ever! Eat no more than 3 hours apart!

Once you have all those variables completed, each and every day, no matter what, then talk to me about specific exercises within your program. One of these days, when I'm in Pitt for a game, we need to train together. Nothing like the focused energy of two training heavy! Then we can drink some tequila! :cheers:

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Steelerstrength

GB, if you're using NO-Explode then there is no reason to add any other creatine product to your program. The ingredients include 4 types of creatine. I prefer Jack3d from USP Labs. No additives that will upset your stomach.

I only use NO-Xplode every other day before upper body but I don't on the "off" days because I just do 30-45 minutes of cardio.

So with just two scoops every other day I didn't think that was much Creatine. I've always cycled creatine..... so should I be cycling this when I am only averaging one scoop a day?

Regarding strength, there are specific methods of training for strength or size, or strength for sport, etc. And, there are many types of strength, explosive strength, speed strength, starting strength, etc. But, I'm going to assume you're looking to increase the weights that you perform your chosen routine, based on previous conversation and by the product you take.

Yes. I have feel as though I have plateaud and really want to take it to the next level. Perhaps I will email you my current workout.

One of these days, when I'm in Pitt for a game, we need to train together. Nothing like the focused energy of two training heavy! Then we can drink some tequila! :cheers:

I'd like that "D". I have a home gym, free weights and dumbbells in my mancave and miss working out at a gym and having a workout partner.

Sorry we didn't connect when you were in before..... Tequila it is! :drink:

GBMelBlount
05-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Steelerstrength

Alternate your carb intake with basic staples that are great tasting and awesome for glycogen storage. Suggestions: Steel Cut Oats, rice, red-skinned potatoes, yams. For treats make some oatmeal cookies with raisins or cranberries, with less butter & sugar, and don't forget to take enzymes!

I have working on cleaner carbs D.

In fact my wife made some delicious oatmeal cookies and I am eating them faster than she can bake'm!

Only question is, do you have a basic "recipe" you follow for YOUR oatmeal cookies?...

Do you add any flour at all? only add 1/2 the normal butter and sugar or 1/4? etc?

Thanks brother. :drink:

stlrtruck
05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Ok so since we're on the subject of supplements, I'm in the process of leaning out and trying to lose another 25-30 lbs preferabbly by the end of July, do you recommend fat burners or whey protein to take in place of meals or in addition. What about before/after core workouts and/or cardio.

Currently my routine consists of:
Mon thruFri - Cardio for an hour in the morning before work
Mon-Wed-Fri - core training with increased heartrate
Tue-Thurs - Cardio for an hour during lunch
Sat-Sun - Cardio anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 hours

Steelerstrength
05-18-2010, 04:21 PM
I have working on cleaner carbs D.

In fact my wife made some delicious oatmeal cookies and I am eating them faster than she can bake'm!

Only question is, do you have a basic "recipe" you follow for YOUR oatmeal cookies?...

Do you add any flour at all? only add 1/2 the normal butter and sugar or 1/4? etc?

Thanks brother. :drink:

OK! Here is my wife's recipe for the greatest cookies ever! (From my perspective wich includes the issue's I have with Wheat/Gluten, and Dairy) I still have to take enzymes to eat these cookies. This recipe is not much different than most.

1 stick of real butter (softened)
1 1/2 cups Oat Flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup of Agave Nectar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3 heaping cups of Steel Cut Oats (Coaches Oats at Costco)
1 cup of cranraisins

Heat oven at 350*
Beat butter, sugar, and Agave until creamy
Add eggs & vanilla
Add Oat Flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt: mix

Place tablespoons of rounded dough onto cookie sheet (I use Pam)
Bake 10-12 minutes or until brown
Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, then remove to wire rack.
Should make about 4 dozen.

Eat at least a dozen while warm! My goal is to not eat more than 18 at a time.:sofunny: And, most importantly, don't ruin the experience by drinking milk! Dairy products will not help you burn fat!!!!!

Basically, don't over eat! And, if your trying to lose body fat, you should not be making these more than once per month.

Steelerstrength
05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Ok so since we're on the subject of supplements, I'm in the process of leaning out and trying to lose another 25-30 lbs preferabbly by the end of July, do you recommend fat burners or whey protein to take in place of meals or in addition. What about before/after core workouts and/or cardio.

Currently my routine consists of:
Mon thruFri - Cardio for an hour in the morning before work
Mon-Wed-Fri - core training with increased heartrate
Tue-Thurs - Cardio for an hour during lunch
Sat-Sun - Cardio anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 hours

First, get a body comp for baseline measurements of lean body mass (muscle, bones and connective tissue), so you can monitor if all your hard work is fat burning, or burning muscle (being catabolic). You'll know the results if you took the test again at least two-four weeks apart.

2 hours per day of cardio at what heart rate? Are you performing intervals? (If yes to intervals, what is your range, high-low?)

Are you taking vitamins and minerals? (If not start now!) Definciency in micro-nutrients is very common in most Americans. There is a higher demand when you are exercising or looking to burn fat. The goal is to have a super-efficient furnace of a body.

Do you perform resistance workouts? (weights) The average person loses 1/2 lb. of muscle per year, after age 32. 1 pound of muscle burns approximately 50 calories per day at rest. Imagine the consequences of losing 5 lbs. of muscle? (Age 42) That's right, by age 42 the body can lose the ability to burn 250 calories per day at rest! That's the importance of weight bearing resistance training.

Are you taking any meds? The meds may effect your heart rate, or fat burning ability.

Once I know your body comp., along with responses to the questions above, I can provide you with some general guidelines that will help you to focus on burning fat, rather then just weight.

stlrtruck
05-19-2010, 07:25 AM
First, get a body comp for baseline measurements of lean body mass (muscle, bones and connective tissue), so you can monitor if all your hard work is fat burning, or burning muscle (being catabolic). You'll know the results if you took the test again at least two-four weeks apart.

2 hours per day of cardio at what heart rate? Are you performing intervals? (If yes to intervals, what is your range, high-low?)

Are you taking vitamins and minerals? (If not start now!) Definciency in micro-nutrients is very common in most Americans. There is a higher demand when you are exercising or looking to burn fat. The goal is to have a super-efficient furnace of a body.

Do you perform resistance workouts? (weights) The average person loses 1/2 lb. of muscle per year, after age 32. 1 pound of muscle burns approximately 50 calories per day at rest. Imagine the consequences of losing 5 lbs. of muscle? (Age 42) That's right, by age 42 the body can lose the ability to burn 250 calories per day at rest! That's the importance of weight bearing resistance training.

Are you taking any meds? The meds may effect your heart rate, or fat burning ability.

Once I know your body comp., along with responses to the questions above, I can provide you with some general guidelines that will help you to focus on burning fat, rather then just weight.

Damn just when I thought this was going to be easy. I'll have to look in to the body comp. Last time I measured I was 205 (this past monday), and at the end of January had a body fat of 12.83%, and still have my body measurements from then too (arms, chest, legs). I'll try to find the last measurements that were taken, but there's a chance they're long gone. If they are I'll try to get the trainer at the gym to get my body comp measurements.

When exercising, I'm between 135-150 HR when on the elliptical, when running between 115-140, and when doing core it ranges between 115-150. I do use weight resistance when training and it's low weight hi rep.

I do take vitamins and not any meds.

Steelerstrength
05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Damn just when I thought this was going to be easy. I'll have to look in to the body comp. Last time I measured I was 205 (this past monday), and at the end of January had a body fat of 12.83%, and still have my body measurements from then too (arms, chest, legs). I'll try to find the last measurements that were taken, but there's a chance they're long gone. If they are I'll try to get the trainer at the gym to get my body comp measurements.

When exercising, I'm between 135-150 HR when on the elliptical, when running between 115-140, and when doing core it ranges between 115-150. I do use weight resistance when training and it's low weight hi rep.

I do take vitamins and not any meds.

I only need body composition measurements. (body fat% to lean body mass), along with height, weight, and age. However, from the small amount of information you've already posted in this thread, I must warn you to be careful with your health. In January you said you were at around 13% bodyfat. (I wish I knew your body weight in January) I assume you've lost weight since then. But, you now state that you want to lose an additional 25-30 lbs.? that just equates to a goal of losing muscle along with fat. Are you sure that's what you desire?

ricardisimo
05-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Hmmm... I'm starting to get the idea that my supplement regimen just isn't going to cut it:
Mon: Three tall cups of coffee
Tue: Two tall cups of coffee and a Lindor truffle chocolate
Wed: Three tall cups of coffee
Thu: Cleansing with four cups of black tea
Fri: Three tall cups of coffee
Sat: One cappuccino, one mocha
Sun: Steelers games [when possible]

The above will or will not build bulk?

stlrtruck
05-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I only need body composition measurements. (body fat% to lean body mass), along with height, weight, and age. However, from the small amount of information you've already posted in this thread, I must warn you to be careful with your health. In January you said you were at around 13% bodyfat. (I wish I knew your body weight in January) I assume you've lost weight since then. But, you now state that you want to lose an additional 25-30 lbs.? that just equates to a goal of losing muscle along with fat. Are you sure that's what you desire?

At the end of January I weighed in at 191. My goal/ideal weight is to be about 175-180 lbs. I've actually gained 15 lbs back. We started a muscle building routine but since then I got sick and my schedule kept me out of the gym for almost a month. Thus the weight gain. Since I'm just getting back in to it, I'd rather drive through until I reach my goal weight.

I've got a meeting with the trainer at my gym on Wednesday to get the body measurements again (not sure how to get the body fat% to lean body mass) but last time I did measurements, I went to a website to have them calculated based on his measurements. I'll do the same and post her.