PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys have no class

SteelKnight
04-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't like what the Cowboys are doing to Flozelle Adams.

He served loyally and well...as a LT. He played with them 11 years and tey just dump him.

I hope tey at least asked him to take a paycut to try to retire a Cowboy. If they did, fine but if not, they are trash.

We get mad at players leaving all the time for money and tell players they should try to show some loyalty and stick with the same team and their fans but the teams often sow no loyalty and if after 11 years they can not coax a player into retirement or a lower priced back up role if they feel he is losing his stuff, then something is wrong.

It's ugly. We did the same with Franco Harris but fortunately nobody remembers the year he played for the Seahawks.

It needs to be dscussed ahead of time that as skills wane, players should try to take less and retire with their team.

What are your thoughts?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Its a buisness. The Cowboys have to make the best decisions for their organization. Plus its not like the Cowboys were the only ones to get anything out of the relationship. Adams got paid pretty well, I'm assuming, during his time in Dallas.

SteelKnight
04-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Its a buisness. The Cowboys have to make the best decisions for their organization. Plus its not like the Cowboys were the only ones to get anything out of the relationship. Adams got paid pretty well, I'm assuming, during his time in Dallas.

It is a business but once you it the 10 year mark, there should be some loyalty and some attempt to give something back to the fans. The fans want their heroes to retire with their team.

Imagine if all the members of the Steel curtain, Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw all left the Steelers towards the end.

What I'm saying is if we look down on the players for not staying loyal, we should admonish teams too. Why should they stay loyal if at any time the team will cut them even though they have a contract?

For many years I was bitter towards Woodsen. Now I know the truth. I was busy at that time (professional school) so I didn't have time to review how it happened. It was the Steelers fault.

silver & black
04-25-2010, 03:40 PM
It is a business but once you it the 10 year mark, there should be some loyalty and some attempt to give something back to the fans. The fans want their heroes to retire with their team.

Imagine if all the members of the Steel curtain, Swann, Stallworth, Bradshaw all left the Steelers towards the end.

What I'm saying is if we look down on the players for not staying loyal, we should admonish teams too. Why should they stay loyal if at any time the team will cut them even though they have a contract?

For many years I was bitter towards Woodsen. Now I know the truth. I was busy at that time (professional school) so I didn't have time to review how it happened. It was the Steelers fault.

The game was a different animal in the 70's. Players stayed with the same team for their entire careers back then. Well... more so than today. That's why you will never see teams like the 70's Steelers and Raiders that dominated for a whole decade, again. It's a big time business now... players are signed and let go uncerimoniously, without much thought about how they or the fans feel about it. Too bad... the 70's was the golden era of the NFL. It will never be that good again.

Psyychoward86
04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
How is that classless? The NFL is a business to you know. Pretty close to everyone in the league understands that

SteelerEmpire
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Its just the law of the jungle... "Darwinism" at its clearest... the old is replaced by the young... unless your Jerry Rice or Bret Farve....

Shea
04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Whenever I think of Flozelle, I see a yellow flag flying.

He's the Willie Colon on the Dallas Cowboys.

Past tense of course .....

tube517
04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I really don't care about past, current or future Cowboys. I hate the team, the players, the coaches, the owner, all of them.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't see this as classless.

It's a business. Players get cut, signed, and traded all of the time.

Franco Harris left the Steelers for a season then retired.

Jerry Rice played for the Raiders, then the Seahawks, then almost the Broncos before he finally retired.

Emmit Smith played a few years for the Cardinals after taking the record for all-time rushing yards in Dallas.

It doesn't matter what you've done for that team and it's fans. Once you no longer are worth what you're being paid, you either take a pay cut (which a lot of players will not do) or you get released.

Indo
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
The game was a different animal in the 70's. Players stayed with the same team for their entire careers back then. Well... more so than today. That's why you will never see teams like the 70's Steelers and Raiders that dominated for a whole decade, again. It's a big time business now... players are signed and let go uncerimoniously, without much thought about how they or the fans feel about it. Too bad... the 70's was the golden era of the NFL. It will never be that good again.

Yes.

And it gets worse and worse with the ongoing Pussification of The Greatest Game on the Planet...

SteelKnight
04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't see this as classless.

It's a business. Players get cut, signed, and traded all of the time.

Franco Harris left the Steelers for a season then retired.

Jerry Rice played for the Raiders, then the Seahawks, then almost the Broncos before he finally retired.

Emmit Smith played a few years for the Cardinals after taking the record for all-time rushing yards in Dallas.

It doesn't matter what you've done for that team and it's fans. Once you no longer are worth what you're being paid, you either take a pay cut (which a lot of players will not do) or you get released.

From watcing Hard Knocks, I didn't sense a family feeling on that team.

If they offered him a fair pay cut (to play back up) and transition out then maybe they are not so bad. If they wanted him to take a pay cut to start, tat's not cool. 11 years should count for something.

I think teams should care about the players that gave their heart for the team and if they do, they should over time negotiate the players retirement, checking whith them on when they are planning to retire and continuously honestly assessing skills. When it comes time that they are more of back up players, they should negotiate a pay cut and express how much they want the player to retire as a member but being honest about skill.

It is practically impossible to retire as a Steelers LB (since FA). In another thread I listed all the names. Even J. Harrison is not protected.

In those examples you gave, they are sad...Franco, Emmit, Rice...We need to do better.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-26-2010, 06:38 PM
From watcing Hard Knocks, I didn't sense a family feeling on that team.

If they offered him a fair pay cut (to play back up) and transition out then maybe they are not so bad. If they wanted him to take a pay cut to start, tat's not cool. 11 years should count for something.

I think teams should care about the players that gave their heart for the team and if they do, they should over time negotiate the players retirement, checking whith them on when they are planning to retire and continuously honestly assessing skills. When it comes time that they are more of back up players, they should negotiate a pay cut and express how much they want the player to retire as a member but being honest about skill.

It is practically impossible to retire as a Steelers LB (since FA). In another thread I listed all the names. Even J. Harrison is not protected.

In those examples you gave, they are sad...Franco, Emmit, Rice...We need to do better.

Why is it the team's responsibility to see when a player is planning to retire? A player can decide to retire at any time. It can be abrupt and surprising like Ricky Williams or it can be a planned ordeal like when Emmit Smith signed a one-day contract to retire with the team he made his name with.

Hell, we can't get rid of Brett Favre! Part of the reason the Packers traded him the other year is they were sick of the drama, the flip flopping. It doesn't allow you to plan for the future if you have no idea of your present.

You're argument is flawed. There is no loyalty in sports these days. Players more often than not go to the highest bidder when they become a UFA. They don't show any loyalty to the team that drafted them or signed them as a UDFA.

The team is responsible for putting together a roster that is going to win football games, not cater to the feelings and ego's of the players.

And a player take a pay cut? Very few do so. Asking most players to take a cut in what they are making is viewed as a slap in the face. They won't admit to a decline in skill, they have too much pride.

Look at Allan Faneca. He was asked to take a pay cut and refused, the Jets cut him. He left Pittsburgh for the bigger money in New York and now he is without a team for the moment. He showed no loyalty to the Steelers when he went to the Jets for peanuts more than what the Steelers were offering.

It's the way it is, so just get used to it or stop watching.

SteelKnight
04-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Why is it the team's responsibility to see when a player is planning to retire? A player can decide to retire at any time. It can be abrupt and surprising like Ricky Williams or it can be a planned ordeal like when Emmit Smith signed a one-day contract to retire with the team he made his name with.

Hell, we can't get rid of Brett Favre! Part of the reason the Packers traded him the other year is they were sick of the drama, the flip flopping. It doesn't allow you to plan for the future if you have no idea of your present.

You're argument is flawed. There is no loyalty in sports these days. Players more often than not go to the highest bidder when they become a UFA. They don't show any loyalty to the team that drafted them or signed them as a UDFA.

The team is responsible for putting together a roster that is going to win football games, not cater to the feelings and ego's of the players.

And a player take a pay cut? Very few do so. Asking most players to take a cut in what they are making is viewed as a slap in the face. They won't admit to a decline in skill, they have too much pride.

Look at Allan Faneca. He was asked to take a pay cut and refused, the Jets cut him. He left Pittsburgh for the bigger money in New York and now he is without a team for the moment. He showed no loyalty to the Steelers when he went to the Jets for peanuts more than what the Steelers were offering.

It's the way it is, so just get used to it or stop watching.

I know how it is. What I'm saying is that needs to change.

I'm sure some teams are in touch with their top performing players getting a sense of when they might retire. It's good to care and it also affect planning.

It's true that most (not all) players just go to the higher bidder but maybe if the players knew how much the teams really cared about them, that would change. If the attitude is "They don't really care about me." then they will not care. Teams need to start ecouraging the concept of "Legacy". I tink Legacy is stronger when a player stays with one team.

I agree the pay cut is rude if the player is not now a back up. If they see they are a back up now and you are trying to keep them, they may go for it. Look at Bettis as an example.

TheWarDen86
04-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Flozell Adams is a cheap shot scum bag anyway. Couldn't care less about him.

:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
04-26-2010, 09:40 PM

he's also a fat turd ...:popcorn:

TheWarDen86
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
he's also a fat turd ...:popcorn:

Well, that was a given. :chuckle:

SteelKnight
04-27-2010, 12:05 AM

LOL He's a LT. There are only 32 of them in the country that are thought to be good enough to start.

I hope we can retire as many Steelers as possible as Steelers.

Pay cut, as rude as it may seem should be offered for those near retirement who are thought to be of value.

In addition to the 53, each team in the NFL should have 4 legend spots for players who were drafted by your team and stayed with your team at least 10 years. Those players should be able to make someting like 8 million per year not affecting the cap. Maybe that would encourage loyalty.

What do you guys think?

TheWarDen86
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
LOL He's a LT. There are only 32 of them in the country that are thought to be good enough to start.

Pay cut, as rude as it may seem should be offered for those near retirement who are thought to be of value.

In addition to the 53, each team in the NFL should have 4 legend spots for players who were drafted by your team and stayed with your team at least 10 years. Those players should be able to make someting like 8 million per year not affecting the cap. Maybe that would encourage loyalty.

What do you guys think?

That's intriguing actually. Hmmm.

Anyway, Flozel is still a scumbag.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-27-2010, 03:59 PM

What do you guys think?

That is a good idea. I've thought that the roster size limit needs to be increased for a few years now. Nothing drastic just maybe 5 more spots but as you stated it will affect salary cap which would need to be ajusted accourdingley.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-28-2010, 01:06 AM
I think the NFL operates just fine. It's not the job of a football team to make sure that their long tenured players stick with the team. It's their job to put a winning team on the field. I don't think it would be right to take their focus off of that to make players feel warm and fuzzy.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a player play his entire career for one team. I love the fact that Hines Ward is going to play his entire career as a Steeler and that when he goes to the Hall of Fame, the only team listed under his bronze bust will be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But I also take pride in the fact that for the most part, the Steelers FO knows when to release a player.

Franco Harris retired as a Seahawk, but he is remembered as a Steeler.

Jerry Rice retired after trying out for the Broncos....but played for the Raiders and Seahawks before that. When you think of Rice, you think the San Fransisco 49ers.

Joe Montana played his final seasons in Kansas City, but he's remembered as the QB that lead the 9ers to four Super Bowl championships.

Right now, a lot of Steeler fans are cold towards Alan Faneca for the way he left Pittsburgh. But I guarantee you that when he goes into the Hall of Fame, there will be more Black and Gold in the crowd than anything else.

Rod Woodson left the Steelers and played excellent football for the 49ers, Ravens (a division rival), and Raiders. He won his only Super Bowl in Baltimore. But when I was at his induction last season, he was represented by the Pittsburgh Steeler fans in the crown. I saw very few Ravens fans, maybe a handful of Raider fans, and no 49er fans. He's most remembered as a Steeler.

A player being released or traded doesn't affect his legacy in the place he made his name as much as you think.

memphissteelergirl
04-28-2010, 08:35 AM
I really don't care about past, current or future Cowboys.

This.