PDA

View Full Version : How do you divide qb playing time through camp and preseason?

zulater
04-26-2010, 03:08 PM
With Ben suspended for at least the first 4 games is there any reason whatsoever to play him in the preseason? I mean really do you think he'll be any less rusty by week 5 if the Steelers keep him out of exhibition action?

I'm not saying i don't want Ben at Latrobe, but in all honesty after the sort of season Brett Favre had with absolutely no training camp I think you can make the case that Ben wont need too many reps in camp. I'd even go as far as to say I'd try to make Ben's reps mostly seperate from the team. Keep him in the film and weight rooms and let him work out with some old AFL'ers or something after the rest of the team has practiced.:noidea:

The Steelers need to find out which qb out of the trio of Dennis Dixon, Byron Leftwich, and Charlie Batch will give them the best chance to win week's one through four. The less we see of Ben the more we see of the others, probably adds up to the best chance to come out of that first month with a decent record.

It will be interesting to see how Tomlin goes about it?

zulater
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM
So do you play Ben in the preseason or not?

If so why and how much?

tony hipchest
04-26-2010, 10:56 PM
let him play with him self off to the side.

we dont need his jolly roger giving superficial abraisions and bruises to our new 21 year old rookie....

:chuckle:

in reality, he doesnt play much in PS anyways, so treat it as normal with no more than a quarter of play in any game and let dixon and lefty take the rest of snaps.

or put batch out there for 2 plays and let him put to rest the questions if he should retire.

tube517
04-26-2010, 10:58 PM
let him play with him self off to the side.

we dont need his jolly roger giving superficial abraisions and bruises to our new 21 year old rookie....

:chuckle:

in reality, he doesnt play much in PS anyways, so treat it as normal with no more than a quarter of play in any game and let dixon and lefty take the rest of snaps.

or put batch out there for 2 plays and let him put to rest the questions if he should retire.

He might break his arms if you leave him out there too long. :doh:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-26-2010, 11:03 PM
I think you have to cut one of the backups loose. My guess is its Batch. Four QB's is just too many especially if Dixon is the man and you want him to get some extra pregame snaps.

I agree with Tony on the Ben situation. Give him a possesion or two but I think you have to do it in the second or third quarter. By preseason game three we need to know who is going to start during Ben's suspension and give that player the all first team reps.

steeltheone
04-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Just get his ass to lose weight and he will be fine. If this offseason does not dedicate him nothing will.

Steel_Bus_24
04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
I dunno.....but I hope we get Pouncy out there against Suh........that'll test him in a big way early

steeltheone
04-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Dixon should be considered number one. BL in the wings

OneForTheToe
04-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I think I would just let him hang out with the peeps on the sidelines. Come to think of it, this is another reason it is good we don't have cheerleaders.:chuckle:

Big7BenHOF
04-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Let Dixon play the majority of preseason, and give him time against the opposing team's No. 1 defense. Because think of it this way ... hypothetically, if we finish 6-0 with Dennis Dixon ... what do you do? Do you continue the winning "streak" with him, or put the proven winner (Ben) in? While it may seem like a farfetched question / scenario ... it really isn't.

steelreserve
04-27-2010, 02:04 AM
I'd say put Dixon and Leftwich in as the No.1 and No. 2 as if they're battling for the top job, because that's essentially what they're doing. Then give Ben a few snaps here and there just so he doesn't go a full year without seeing any action outside of a bar bathroom.

In my mind, the only preseason time that REALLY matters in terms of actually getting ready for the season is the first half of games #3-4. That's when everyone's playing hard and legitimately acting like a real starting NFL offense and defense. Ben shouldn't get any of that, because he'll just have another month off afterward. Much more important to get some time for the guys who actually will be playing. I mean, let's face it; that's going to be a quarter to a third of the season.

Galax Steeler
04-27-2010, 03:38 AM
Let Dixon play the majority of preseason, and give him time against the opposing team's No. 1 defense. Because think of it this way ... hypothetically, if we finish 6-0 with Dennis Dixon ... what do you do? Do you continue the winning "streak" with him, or put the proven winner (Ben) in? While it may seem like a farfetched question / scenario ... it really isn't.

You have to let Ben come back in even if they are 6 and 0 after all he is the starting quarterback of this team. He is also a leader I don't know how far Dixon can take us.

stlrtruck
04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd give Dixon the nod right now with Batch and Lefty battling for backup. In camp if Batch and Lefty prove better than Dixon then reverse them. I believe Dixon offers the better chance to win more of those 6 games at this juncture (just based on his performance against the rats last season).

Steeldude
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
is BR even allowed to play in the pre-season?

the steelers will give most of the snaps to leftwich and dixon. IMO, batch will be used sparingly

AllD
04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
BB is not allowed anywhere near the team until he completes a psychological examination by medical professionals.

Don't expect us to be 6-0. It's not going to happen.

It might take BB a couple of games to shake off the rust, but he might be extra strong for a playoff run if we make it. No amount of practice can substitute for real game speed and decision making.

zulater
04-27-2010, 08:04 PM
is BR even allowed to play in the pre-season?

the steelers will give most of the snaps to leftwich and dixon. IMO, batch will be used sparingly

Yes Ben will supposedly be eligible to participate in training camp and preseason games providing that he is in compliance with the conditions the commisioneer set down by that point.