PDA

View Full Version : Who is No. 1 @ running back next year? Right now...no one.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Let me preface this by saying I love Willie Parker. You got to give major props to a guy who trains with pitbulls in his youth. But is he a bonafide starting tailback for a 16 game season??

This is what is see in the back position next year - Fast Willie, Verron and Kreider. Staley :dang: is holding the clipboard for another team.

Here is Parker's post-season production.

XL: If you deduct the 75 yarder, then Parker has 9 rushes for 18 yards.

The Cincy game: 16 rushes for 38 yards (2.4 y/c)
The Indy game: 17 rushes for 59 yards (3.5 y/c)
The Denver game: 14 rushes for 35 yards (2.5 y/c)

I'm only suggesting that this position is a primary focus this off-season. We moved up the draft board to get Troy Polamalu. It is time to move up again and get a guy who can pound the ball or try to steal one in the open market.

I know. Easier said than done.

BB2W
02-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I think we will draft a RB in the draft, but he would likely not see much action... I think Parker starts, with Duce playing in a role similar to what the Bus did for us this season. Willie is probabaly not a every down back at in this league, and will always benifit from a bigger back to share the load.

I love it when people that say... "If you take away Willie's long run". While your at it, take away Ben's interception in the end-zone too, or take away Parkers short runs and he averaged 75 yards per carry. My point is you can't take it away...

RoethlisBURGHer
02-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I really like Willie,but I would love to trade-up to draft Lendale White.He's more of the type of runner that fits the Steelers.He has power and speed.No holes?He'll make one.Give him a hole,he'll break a long one.

I think Duce is given a shot to start this season (if we don't draft White).If Duce it injured a lot this year or doesn't produce (if he's healthy,he'll produce) I can see is trying to trade him or just releasing him.

70c10
02-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Jamal Lewis would look good in black and gold.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Willie is the type of guy that will give you that 60-70 yard TD run, but your taking a gamble on him If he doesn't give you that during a game. He doesn't pick up the five yard gain on first down. I'm also trying to keep in my mind the guy is still young and maybe over the upcoming training camp he will bloom into a back that can not only get you the 60 yard TD run, but also time off the clock while picking up five or six yards a pop. He has excellent speed, but his acceleration in my opinion is questionable.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2006, 02:27 PM

That's funny.

Livinginthe past
02-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Who knows where a years experience will leave Willie Parker?

I said it all along - this guy is a project - look how much he achieved from being a UFA who could barely get a carry at college - all the way to SB winning RB..all in one year.

This guy has a scary amount of upside.

Maybe with impending retirement of Bettis the Steelers offense will continue to metamorphose in something new and based more on the talents of Big Ben.

Bettis is a great guy - but you could replace his past 2 years production with a half decent Full Back.

I know come draft day - Steeler nation will be screaming for Lendale White - id like to see my own Pats take him too.

NM

MikeDog77
02-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Willie is a good back. I think eveyone forgets what he looked like in the first couple of weeks. Go back and watch some of the Replays on On-Demand on the NFL Network if you can. He looked a lot better, I think the season took a toll on him. But he's only going to get better and stronger. There is only a couple of running backs in this draft that have more upside than Willie does. The steelers also have more pressing needs that I think they need to address in the first round.

Bottom line with Duce and Willie they at least have a couple of years until they get another franchise back(if willie doesn't get better)... I would like to see Willie start but also be the 3rd down back. I would like to see them spell him with Duce like the did Jerome and maybe even take more of a load off him to keep him fresh for 3rd down. That is assuming that Veron Haynes wants to much and is let go.

Did anyone see Haynes at the parade today? That's not a good sign?

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Did anyone see Haynes at the parade today? That's not a good sign?

I didn't see Duce either.....

MikeDog77
02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I didn't see Duce either.....

Good point, either did I. However I imagine he is with his family. If there is one guy that really had something else on his mind it was him. I hope we keep him, I think he is a good guy and will bring a little hunger with him next year.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Parker will go in as the starter and Duce may get the chance to compete for the starting job but most likely he'll end up taking jerome's spot next year..although I would imagine he'll get more carries than the Bus did this year becuz he younger.

Haynes is a FA so hopefully he'll come back for us, he's a good play maker and outstanding on ST.

We'll draft a RB or get one in FA, there is little doubt of that.

Sharkissle29
02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I think wilie is still a work in progress. this is his first year as a starter, and he got 1200 yards. Thats not bad. I think he wore out at the end, but you have to expect that. Next year expect a stronger willie that can break tackles and get those 5 hard yards.

Have faith in Willie!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Willie was alot like Ben was last year.. st33lers makes a good point.. willie hasnt played this many games in 1 season till this year... he worn out towards the end similar to what Ben did. Parker was a free agent rookie signing remember so he's been thru alot and has learned alot.. his time in the league w/ the Bus will be invaluable in the future.

He'll be penciled in as the starter, I'd bank on it at this point.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-07-2006, 03:03 PM
What about edgerin James???????

SteelerFanInCA
02-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Man, I'd love to see that guy in a Steelers uniform. Not sure if we could afford him though.

83-Steelers-43
02-07-2006, 03:13 PM

I strongly doubt we would be willing to spend the :dollar: on James.

Koopa
02-07-2006, 05:11 PM
we diffenitly need to draft a running back in the draft......willie can still be the starter but he can NOT carry the load, sure he had 1200 yards but he never carried the load it was a bunch of big ass breaks like the 75 yard dash in the superbowl that makes it look like he's doing badass all the time. hopefully staley will be back to help while we groom a first day running back draft pick.

Koopa
02-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Willie was alot like Ben was last year.. st33lers makes a good point.. willie hasnt played this many games in 1 season till this year... he worn out towards the end similar to what Ben did. Parker was a free agent rookie signing remember so he's been thru alot and has learned alot.. his time in the league w/ the Bus will be invaluable in the future.

He'll be penciled in as the starter, I'd bank on it at this point.

*tony parker tone* i don't know..................everytime we played a good team willie was nowhere to be seen. i know i'm talkin shit about willie but i like him a lot and don't mind if he's starting but he needs someone to help him out cause even at the beginning of the season he couldn't carry it the whole game.

tony hipchest
02-07-2006, 05:57 PM
edgerrin james????? how bout spending that $$$ on john abraham (jets de)? since were making an x-mas wish list.

SteelerFanInATL
02-07-2006, 06:02 PM
I think the RB position is open for who ever wants it. I also agree that Parker really was not a factor during the playoffs. I say we draft a RB, keep Willie and Duce, and let it be up for grabs in training camp or get someone in FA market.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Edge is not an option.He is aging,had a big injury (ACL tear),and will cost way too much for us.

Prosdo
02-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Running back is an area that concerns me next year. Duce seems to get injuried too much. I see us either drafting a guy or bringing in RB through FA. Here are the free agent RB's for the upcoming season.

http://www.theredzone.org/2006/freeagents/showposition.asp?Position=RB

daleemnm
02-07-2006, 06:47 PM

I dont want that criminal on the Steelers.

I wouldnt mind having Shaun Alexander since he is talking about not coming back to Seattle but he's too much $$$,

SteelerTim
02-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I dont want that criminal on the Steelers.

I wouldnt mind having Shaun Alexander since he is talking about not coming back to Seattle but he's too much $$$,

No way we can afford Alexander. Lewis would be affordable and an interesting fit. Don't dismiss the possibility. He was recovering from the knee injury last year so he should be back to full strength this year.

Don't really think he is a criminal. If you look at the government case it was really weak but if the Feds want ya they are going to get ya. It's not like he is a Bam Morris.

daleemnm
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Isnt Samkon Gado gonna be a free agent? He looked pretty good in GB.

Koopa
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
mayne, who the f' cares what someone does on their spare time, if he's gonna help us repeat i say f' it and bring him in, and that shit he did was before he was drafted it didn't just happen

Sharkissle29
02-07-2006, 07:22 PM
*tony parker tone* i don't know..................everytime we played a good team willie was nowhere to be seen. i know i'm talkin shit about willie but i like him a lot and don't mind if he's starting but he needs someone to help him out cause even at the beginning of the season he couldn't carry it the whole game.
10 carries for 93 yards. yea he had a 75 yards, but doesnt that still mean he got 93 yards with a 9.3 ypc?

that run was a game-breaker....

Koopa
02-07-2006, 07:26 PM
10 carries for 93 yards. yea he had a 75 yards, but doesnt that still mean he got 93 yards with a 9.3 ypc?

that run was a game-breaker....

like i said, he hasn't proven he can carry the load, all he could get off was 10 runs and if it wasn't for one run he would've been pointless to have out there. look i like willie but he needs someone to help him cause he can't carry the load. and he's proven that all season long, and the post above the one you quoted touched on that

CowherLover
02-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Bite your tongue! He looks good in black and white stripes and I don't mean being a ref either!

Dook
02-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Sure Willie looked great during the first few games this year, we played the Texans and Titans.

I think Willie would benefit from trying some cut back runs. This year he always went between the tackles, once in a while outside the tackles, and they learned to use him on screens once or twice a game. Since we ran so much during the season it really caused playoff teams to come up and play to stop the run which opened opportunities in our passing game.

Next year I'm sure Duce will be a big part of our running game. Two seasons ago his yardage per carry was like 4yds per carry. He's like a young Bettis when he's completely healthy.

Whether Duce or Willie starts isn't really a big deal to me, I do think Duce will get the nod though. Cowher's going to want to see what he can do when he is given the keys.

Also I think we will draft a big back either in the 1st or 2nd, Cedric Hume or Michael Bush.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
mayne, who the f' cares what someone does on their spare time, if he's gonna help us repeat i say f' it and bring him in, and that shit he did was before he was drafted it didn't just happen

Well I do. Are there exceptions? Absolutely YES. Saving talent from inept organizations is one thing...like an Eric ****erson or a Jerome Bettis. But we don't need problem children.

It took Joey several months to become the guy we paid for after he 'fell backwards' into a 1000 ft/second metal projectile. If their conduct off the field interferes with the time spent on the field then why spend the money. Just ask Andy Reid.

Besides. Our drafts since 2000 have yielded the nucleus of this team. Casey, Marvel, Simmons, Randle El, Hope, Trojan Troy, Ike Taylor, Big Ben, Colclough, Max Starks, Heath, McFadden and Essex - minus Kendrell Bell. Let's stay with what is working. I'd opt for spending money via future picks by moving up the draft board now.

Hell but what do I know!?

CowherLover
02-07-2006, 07:59 PM
We're already over the cap by like 4 or 5 mil, you can count on them looking for a lame duck in FA or bringing in someone who is underrated like Willie to give em a shot. They'll be looking hard at everyone's practice squads. Bottom line.... we have no money to go after any gamers who have been out there. I don't know if there really is anyone, other than Gado, that could replicate anything close to what we're used to. In the FA market anyway. Willie is great for what he can give, I like the one-two punch and I hope they're successful finding someone to back him up. Hopefully Duce will be that guy since he counts so much against the cap, I personally think that's why they kept him out all season, to keep him fresh for his "calling" this coming year. Just my opinion.

Prosdo
02-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I would be very surprised if the Rooneys brought Jamal Lewis here. They don't go after guys who have off the field issues such as he does.

70c10
02-08-2006, 07:51 AM
I don't think he's had any off the field issues since entering the NFL.

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Injuries and If I recall correctly didn't he make comments this season hinting that he was not willing to give 100% while coming up on FA? The Rooney family has a history of not picking up guys with that type of attitude (and when they have, they didn't last very long). This is just an assumption, but even If Jamal got arrested in his sophmore year in college, the Rooney's still would not take that gamble in my opinion.

Personally, I don't think he's worth the gamble. Specially after this past season.

Ambridge
02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Najeh Davenport has been mentioned as a possible FA pick-up. I'm not sure what his asking price would be but he might be worth a look.

I love Willie Parker but he's not going to get those 1-3 yard power pick-up/clock killing big first downs like Jerome could.
Duce needs to go..........just pay him, cut him loose and chalk it up as decision that just didn't work out.

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Problem with Nejeh Davenpoop................

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0708/1403417.html

"MIAMI -- Green Bay Packers fullback Najeh Davenport was arrested Monday, accused of breaking into a university dormitory and defecating in a woman's closet.".

"Davenport, 23, surrendered to police Monday and was charged with a second-degree felony count of burglary and a misdemeanor count of criminal mischief, said Richard Master, a Miami Shores police spokesman.".

That incident might hurt his chances of being picked up by the Steelers. And getting picked up by girls in general.

Suitanim
02-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Parker will go in as the starter and Duce may get the chance to compete for the starting job but most likely he'll end up taking jerome's spot next year..although I would imagine he'll get more carries than the Bus did this year becuz he younger.

Haynes is a FA so hopefully he'll come back for us, he's a good play maker and outstanding on ST.

We'll draft a RB or get one in FA, there is little doubt of that.

I've been saying this since Cowher said in like October that Duce was never gonna be 100% this year. I think they'll draft a guy in the 3-4 Rd as Duce's replacement, and I like Cedric Humes- Virginia Tech 6'1" 233 4.51 40

(Edit: I mean Duce's FUTURE Replacement, a RB to groom)

rgleason
02-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm confused how some people are saying Willie won't be our starter next year.

I would put my life savings on Willie being our starter entering camp, and on Week 1. You can give any analysis you want (and you guys are correct on some points), but if you gain 1200 yds during the regular season, your team wins the SB, and you break a 75 yd td run to break open the game, you start the enxt year. Plus, the upside with this guy is still so much, he can improve so much cause I do think he got worn down. (And while generally you can make the argument that he didnt put up in big games, he did have ahuge game in the first CINCY game, a huge performance vs DET when we needed to win, and did break that 75 yds td ihe SB. How many guys take that to the house, although you could have driven a truck through that hole, a lot of guys get caught eventually and teams cant put it in).

DUCE will be back I believe and will probably play with him in a Jerome type role. I hope he stays healthy b/c I think he can still be effective and we need to get something from him for how much we are paying.

Steeler Fans - WE ARE NOT GETTING LENDALE WHITE. Smarten up. We will draft a RB after the 3rd round unless they are absoltuely in love with somebody or have a FA in mind - but they will need to be cheap, we got no money.

Koopa
02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
I've been saying this since Cowher said in like October that Duce was never gonna be 100% this year. I think they'll draft a guy in the 3-4 Rd as Duce's replacement, and I like Cedric Humes- Virginia Tech 6'1" 233 4.51 40

(Edit: I mean Duce's FUTURE Replacement, a RB to groom)

i would actually like that pick, i've liked what i read on a few scouting reports, and this is the perfect place to learn cause duce and willie can get the job done together

shevdog
02-08-2006, 01:23 PM
BTW, I didn't see Haynes or Duce at the parade at all.

Its good this is being brought up. I'm glad we're facing this topic now, rather than during last year's off-season.

I'm still favoring Parker, though I admit he does need some development in some areas. The Steelers can sure use his speed in the running game for big plays, such as that 75-yard TD rush in the Super Bowl.

Can Duce keep healthy and can he put up the power back performance the Steelers need for years to come. If the answer is no, then cut him and find another power running back.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Or we can go after Ricky Williams........
Hes not gonna be that much in terms of what hes capable of and he doesnt want to carry they ball as much so we can switch him up....
I know most of you will not want him on your team......and im not sure i would either.just putting it out there,,,,,,,,,but think of what he could do for us

augustashark
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Or we can go after Ricky Williams........
Hes not gonna be that much in terms of what hes capable of and he doesnt want to carry they ball as much so we can switch him up....
I know most of you will not want him on your team......and im not sure i would either.just putting it out there,,,,,,,,,but think of what he could do for us

I don't think he would come here. I just heard last week that the funding for "how to build your own bong" was cut and the program was shut down! Oh well, we will keep looking!:sofunny:

TexaSteeler
02-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I think the plan will be Willie and Duce (I haven't caught on to why he hasn't played).

I still like the idea of Ron Dayne from Denver.

OX1947
02-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I want Lendale White. Lendale White is a team player, a winner and is the power we need with parkers Speed. I was very down on Parker in the playoffs until that run in the Super Bowl. That is the fastest running back I have ever seen. The only running back I have ever seen to just jet with no chance of anyone catching him was Bo Jackson. Having that homerun guy is huge and it paid off more then once this year. but i would like a power guy who is young and healthy.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-08-2006, 06:52 PM
We're already over the cap by like 4 or 5 mil, you can count on them looking for a lame duck in FA or bringing in someone who is underrated like Willie to give em a shot. They'll be looking hard at everyone's practice squads. Bottom line.... we have no money to go after any gamers who have been out there. I don't know if there really is anyone, other than Gado, that could replicate anything close to what we're used to. In the FA market anyway. Willie is great for what he can give, I like the one-two punch and I hope they're successful finding someone to back him up. Hopefully Duce will be that guy since he counts so much against the cap, I personally think that's why they kept him out all season, to keep him fresh for his "calling" this coming year. Just my opinion.

Actually it wouldn't be too hard to restructure current contracts to free up space. And (I believe) a rookie signing bonus is treated/counted differently. It would be so counterproductive with all the work getting this team to where we are now not to step up and get a stud for the future. LOST OPPORTUNITY

Haiku_Dirtt
02-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I want Lendale White. Lendale White is a team player, a winner and is the power we need with parkers Speed. I was very down on Parker in the playoffs until that run in the Super Bowl. That is the fastest running back I have ever seen. The only running back I have ever seen to just jet with no chance of anyone catching him was Bo Jackson. Having that homerun guy is huge and it paid off more then once this year. but i would like a power guy who is young and healthy.

LenDale IS the real deal.

Bo Jackson was denied what should have been Hall of Fame Status.

TexaSteeler
02-08-2006, 09:04 PM
LenDale IS the real deal.

Bo Jackson was denied what should have been Hall of Fame Status.

He would be the way to go, if there was a way...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by CowherLover

They'll do some restructering of deals for next year like they always do to free up money.. Faneca, Marvel Smith, Casey, Porter, etc..they're always willing to redo their contract to free up money for us to get our draft picks signed and go after a FA or too.

Duce and Willie will be the ... Jerome and Willie of next year and they'll probably draft a young stud RB to wait in the wings and learn.

Koopa
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
how long do we have willie under contract anyway? i hope when his deal is up he doesn't become a bitch and ask for a shitload

Stlrs4Life
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM

You're smoking crack right?

It's Willies job to lose.

ngreene15
02-08-2006, 09:31 PM
how long do we have willie under contract anyway? i hope when his deal is up he doesn't become a bitch and ask for a shitload
A gamebreaker, a Superbowl champ and a 1,200 + yard back deserves a hefty amount of cash IMO.