PDA

View Full Version : Dixon or Lefty weeks 1-4?

mikeyg
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I say weeks 1-4 and hopefully that will be it.

I hate the dreaded 'QB competition' that you hear about in camp. We know what Lefty brings - the question is do we have the guts to go with the unknown, provided he has a reasonable training camp and preseason?

i want to see DD play, Lefty on the bench to relieve him if need be.

Now if only the Dolt BA can devise a gameplan with a man of his talents (unlike what he did vs. Balt last year) Let the kid move, get outside the pocket, sling it, option it - do whatever he does best rather then dumb down the playbook and go ultra conservative.

Our D will be solid - 20 points each week should take us at least to 3-1

what say you?

revefsreleets
04-27-2010, 03:58 PM
What about Batch?

Anyway, I'm guessing Dixon is the announced starter for the "suspension" games. Tomlin likes him, and he'll be getting plenty of first team reps.

SH-Rock
04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd say Dixon

solardave
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I think Dixon will give us the best games. The D is going to have to step up either way.

AllD
04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Leftwich missed a golden opportunity by going to Tampa last season. Much like several other players except for Rod Woodson. A lesson learned.

If Lefty would have stayed he would be starting. As it stands, let them fight it out in camp. If Dixon beats him out and Lefty does not start, he will not be on the team very long. The FO is very loyal to Batch and he will probably be allowed to finish out this season with a clipboard no matter who starts.

SteelCurtain0815
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm all for Dixon. I hope he comes in and tears it up. I just hope he put on some weight over the offseason tho. Dude is like a beanpole out there. Anyways, best of luck to #10.:drink:

GodfatherofSoul
04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Leftwich missed a golden opportunity by going to Tampa last season. Much like several other players except for Rod Woodson. A lesson learned.

If Lefty would have stayed he would be starting. As it stands, let them fight it out in camp. If Dixon beats him out and Lefty does not start, he will not be on the team very long. The FO is very loyal to Batch and he will probably be allowed to finish out this season with a clipboard no matter who starts.

Leftwich HAD a golden opportunity in Tampa. You get dropped to 3rd string behind a rookie QB (I'm a K-Stater so I had no complaints!) and you probably don't have much left in the tank. Batch can't stay healthy, but I think he'll get the nod just for his maturity and skills. He'll probably get hurt and we'll send in Dixon. Leftwich won't survive cuts to opening day.

fer522
04-27-2010, 05:09 PM
i would say Dixon IF our genius OC cuts him loose but if they don't let him be him then go whit lefty we all how he plays and if we're gonna run the ball more we'll need some toughness back there

pancake
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure which I want, I am leaning toward lefty, because he is a vet, but the team likes Dixon...

WindyCitySteelerFan
04-27-2010, 05:14 PM
After that Baltimore game I would say 100% Dixon, but I think Lefty should have an opportunity as well. Maybe 2-2.

MACH1
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd say who ever wins it in training camp and pre season.

CanadianSteel
04-27-2010, 05:25 PM
We lnow what Lefty and Batch brinbg to the table, and hoping Dixon brings more..... will see in pre-season....
at leats there is a good reason to watch pre-season games..

PhantomJB93
04-27-2010, 05:44 PM
I think it will be Dixon, but Id rather see mainly Leftwich with a little bit of Dixon sprinkled in. I trust Leftwich to be a good QB, Dixon is fun to watch but when we have more than just 1 game on the line Id rather put my faith in Lefty. I wouldn't want to see Dixon just sit on the bench the whole time though I'd like to see him maybe get a drive or two to himself every game kind of like what the Eagles did with Vick last year.

Psyychoward86
04-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Who ever said Goodell is going to cut it down from 6 games to 4? Assume the worst, Charlie Batch squeaks us to 4-2 imo

SteelerEmpire
04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I think Lefty has proven he can win games for us... most likely it'll be him...

vasteeler
04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
i hope it will be Dixon. I think with very little game film on him he should be ok til ben comes back

stillers4me
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
If I were Tomlin, I wouldn't announce a starting QB until right before the first game. Let them have to game plan for both Dixon and Byron. The I'd mix it up.......both of these guys can bring it, so keep those 4 teams guessing and then change the game in the third quarter. We have plenty of time to get both QB's ready.

Rick5895
04-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Dixon for sure, way more upside, more mobility and we can do more with DD. Lefty is great for us but in a back up roll, I think Byrons starter days are behind him.

steelerdave1969
04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I say unless he just went so far down hill since last season and he doesnt even make the roster that Dennis Dixon has earned the chance to start those 4 games. He played well last season against one of the best defenses In Baltimore and took that team to Overtime. He deserves the chance in my opinion.

Nadroj 20
04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
IMO Dixon brings more to the table. I really want to see him be the starter for the first 4-6 weeks. We will see though and whoever is put in there is the guy Tomlin thinks will give us the best chance and i really cant argue with that.

SteelGhost
04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Dixon can bring new things to the table, Leftwich brings insurance, and Batch.... oh well... he brings his injury reports :noidea:

I'd give Dixon a chance, specially if the OL improves (which I think it will with Pouncey), if he falls short Mr. Statue can get in.

The most important issue is that Brucey has to find a way to call run plays more effectively as Artie suggested and of course the players have to execute said plays. If the running game improves, whoever starts we'll be fine IMHO

zulater
04-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I'd say who ever wins it in training camp and pre season.

Yep that's the way I want it too. Let the OTA's, training camp and preseason decide it. May the better man win. :popcorn:

Steelerfreak58
04-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Dixon should have the edge. He did well against the Ratbirds and is a hell of an athlete with ridiculous speed and a rocket for an arm. Steeler fans are in for a shock when he wins out the first 4 to 6 games.

HometownGal
04-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Because of his vet experience, playing well in Ben's absence when he was a member of the team before and his knowledge of the team's strategy, I say start Lefty. Dixon is our future and will have plenty of opportunities to get out there and show us more of what he's got, but the Steelers need to win at least 4 out of those first 6 to stay competitive especially in the AFCN, and I believe Lefty gives us that opportunity.

GodfatherofSoul
04-28-2010, 01:00 AM
If I were Tomlin, I wouldn't announce a starting QB until right before the first game. Let them have to game plan for both Dixon and Byron. The I'd mix it up.......both of these guys can bring it, so keep those 4 teams guessing and then change the game in the third quarter. We have plenty of time to get both QB's ready.

That won't work. Whoever starts is going to need starter reps to get ready for opening week.

stlrtruck
04-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Leftwich HAD a golden opportunity in Tampa. You get dropped to 3rd string behind a rookie QB (I'm a K-Stater so I had no complaints!) and you probably don't have much left in the tank. Batch can't stay healthy, but I think he'll get the nod just for his maturity and skills. He'll probably get hurt and we'll send in Dixon. Leftwich won't survive cuts to opening day.

Lefty was made out to be a scapegoat in Tampa. While he wasn't necessarily the answer, he wasn't the only problem on that bucs squad. I honestly believe that Lefty proved his value the last time he was on this roster, it's not his fault that the idiot running the show in Tampa didn't know how to use him properly.

However, with that being said, I'd like to see Dixon get his chance.

Prok
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Because of his vet experience, playing well in Ben's absence when he was a member of the team before and his knowledge of the team's strategy, I say start Lefty. Dixon is our future and will have plenty of opportunities to get out there and show us more of what he's got, but the Steelers need to win at least 4 out of those first 6 to stay competitive especially in the AFCN, and I believe Lefty gives us that opportunity.

I'm with ya Gal. Dixon may have a better future but right now Lefty is the better QB for us. He'd give us the best chance to win imo.

M.C. Smith
04-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd go with Leftwich. He stepped up big for the Steelers back in 2008, and I think he is safer choice between the two.

ricardisimo
04-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Dixon. He might be the future. Play him.

They will not go into the season with four QBs on the roster... who gets cut? I think Batch.

Third Rail
04-29-2010, 02:52 AM
I'd say start Lefty. I know a lot of people fell in love with Dixon when he played the Ratbirds last season, but... we still lost the game. And we lost the game after he threw an INT. And he really only played well in the first half.

Lefty, on the other hand... he has won for us when called upon. And although he didn't start those games, he certainly finished both of them decisively. We crushed the Skins and the Browns with him under center. Of course... it was the Skins and the Browns. But still.

Batch needs to retire. He could get injured just putting his helmet on.

steel9guy
04-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Personally I want Dixon to start. Leftwitch is gonna get killed behind the oline so I think we will see Dixon. I think Dixon is gonna be a better passer than leftwitch ever was.

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Personally I think they should go out and find a better backup than Lefty. Dixon will just break our hearts and have us limp out to a 2-4 start or something along those lines. Now don't laugh but Jeff Garcia has been an excellent backup qb for teams like the Eagles and they aren't picking him back up. I don't think Lefty has anything left, Batch is done and Dixon will just not be ready IMHO. We just need a stop gap QB and I don't really think Lefty is good enough.

UNLESS the defense gets back to 2008 form. Then any one of the QBs should suffice for a few weeks until Ben gets back.

Ness
04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm anxious to see what Dennis Dixon can do for you guys. I think he gives you a better chance to win than Byron Leftwich. It will certainly be interesting.

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Its real simple

Whoever can take the snap, turn and hand off the ball, without fumbling, and once in a while, can "fake" the handoff, and throw the ball really really really deep to Wallace will be the starter.

Our Defense and Running game will be enough to beat the EFFING FALCONS!

Week 2, will depend on how the starter of week 1 does. If that guy fumbles 8 times and throws 8 picks, see the bench.

Just don't mess up the Falcons game, all you have to do, is Hand The Effing ball off, and once in a while Throw really really really deep to Wallace.

Sure, you can throw the occassional quick out to El, or a curl or sit route to Ward, but really...just don't fumble, and throw it really really really deep when told to.

That's it.

The Defense is going to slaughter people this year.

ricardisimo
04-29-2010, 05:36 PM

Why? Because of Troy and Aaron being back, BMac or the draft picks? All of the above?

I think we will definitely be better than last year, but that's not saying all that much. I think our secondary has been exposed as a weakness since the SB, and we haven't done a single meaningful thing since then to address the problem.

Also, what makes you think we won't be pass-happy again this year?

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Why? Because of Troy and Aaron being back, BMac or the draft picks? All of the above?

I think we will definitely be better than last year, but that's not saying all that much. I think our secondary has been exposed as a weakness since the SB, and we haven't done a single meaningful thing since then to address the problem.

Because of all of the above, our Defense will be better. Especially earlier in the season as our guys are fresh and hungry and know the pressure is on them to perform well right out of the gate with Ben on the bench.

Secondary was exposed against an awesome offense in the Super Bowl, and then Troy and Aaron went down, leading to horrible pass coverage by Gay, Clark trying to do too much, Carter being out of position all the time and Taylor...well being Taylor and not catching anything. Also we lost a major push up front when Aaron was down, so other guys tried to "compensate" and got caught out of position as well. Linebackers especially.

And we won't be "pass happy" because we won't have ben, Santo is gone so no one will biatch about not getting thrown to, Hines knows he'll get his 4-6 thrown to a game, he'll be settled with that, especially if Ben is riding the pine, El will know his role and all we have to do, is get the ball to Wallace deep just once to keep the safety out of the box and Ram The Ball down People's Throats.

Pouncey adds the "will to run" to the offense, will he start? Might not, but he wasn't drafted to Pass Protect. He was drafted to Knock People on their Arse early and often. The Backfield is going to get lots of touches, they just will, and Ben knows he can't be "greedy" this year because Steelers fans will lose their effing minds if we see that Non Playoff Making style again this season.

Bruce will be on a leash, Tomlin and Rooney want "nastiness back" and its coming. You don't have a Tank and Diesal on the roster because you are going 5 wide.

Just my humble opinion but...I Smell Something...and its not Air Ball.

ricardisimo
04-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I definitely hope you are right. I also read about the behemoth FA fullback they signed after the draft, and even if he doesn't make the team, it made me think that maybe they were serious about running this time. We'll see.

pete74
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Its real simple

Whoever can take the snap, turn and hand off the ball, without fumbling, and once in a while, can "fake" the handoff, and throw the ball really really really deep to Wallace will be the starter.

Our Defense and Running game will be enough to beat the EFFING FALCONS!

Week 2, will depend on how the starter of week 1 does. If that guy fumbles 8 times and throws 8 picks, see the bench.

Just don't mess up the Falcons game, all you have to do, is Hand The Effing ball off, and once in a while Throw really really really deep to Wallace.

Sure, you can throw the occassional quick out to El, or a curl or sit route to Ward, but really...just don't fumble, and throw it really really really deep when told to.

That's it.

if it were that easy we would of won the super bowl again last year

Psyychoward86
04-29-2010, 06:22 PM

calm down, we were a top 10 defense last year with our two best players out.

HometownGal
04-29-2010, 07:56 PM
I'd say start Lefty. I know a lot of people fell in love with Dixon when he played the Ratbirds last season, but... we still lost the game. And we lost the game after he threw an INT. And he really only played well in the first half.

Lefty, on the other hand... he has won for us when called upon. And although he didn't start those games, he certainly finished both of them decisively. We crushed the Skins and the Browns with him under center. Of course... it was the Skins and the Browns. But still.

Batch needs to retire. He could get injured just putting his helmet on.

AMEN.

I love Dixon as our QB of the future, but Weeks 1-4 are VERY important and I'm just not comfortable yet with Dix after only seeing him in 1 game. Lefty is a seasoned vet and played admirably in place of Ben when needed. That is all you can really ask of your backup QB.

As for Batch - put him on the coaching staff as he would make a much better coach than he ever was a QB.

BlastFurnace
04-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Leftwich...by a long shot.

Busforever
04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I understand the reasons to root for Leftwich (win now), but I think this is an "unique" oportunity to test Dixon. After all, if we lose too many of those games, well, we could say that circumstances were not favorable. If he is good... it's good!

I mean, if we don't let Dixon play when our QB is out and there's 16 games left until playoffs, when we will let him play?

BlastFurnace
04-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I understand the reasons to root for Leftwich (win now), but I think this is an "unique" oportunity to test Dixon. After all, if we lose too many of those games, well, we could say that circumstances were not favorable. If he is good... it's good!

I mean, if we don't let Dixon play when our QB is out and there's 16 games left until playoffs, when we will let him play?

This isn't a team built for the future. It is a team built for the window we have right now. If Ben didn't screw up, we'd really have a great shot next year. Leftwich still gives us a chance. Dixon hasn't shown much at all.

JSH6487
04-29-2010, 09:35 PM
I'd rather the Steelers call up Tommy Gun at his insurance desk again than have Dennis Dixon be our starter.

Preacher
04-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Lefty.

And Batch released-to come back as QB coach.

SpaceBattleshipAlex
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Dixon!!! But what about after week 4?

AndyWitmyer
04-29-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm VERY torn on this issue. I think Lefty did a hell of a job as a backing QB on our team before and like others have said, Tampa wasn't all his fault - there were so many issues on that team, Leftwich is hardly to blame for their lousy season (though he didn't help them much either). Steelers are a better team and a better organization - the type of team he can flourish in when given a chance. Plus he's a vet, which I like.

Dixon on the otherhand did a stellar job against Baltimore - he's younger, faster, more agile and I would think more versatile than Leftwich. But he's still a rookie. Of course Ben was a rookie in his opening season and we all know how that worked out, so who knows. Dixon is more of a risk - but with any worthy risk, there's also a chance of higher reward.

I think we'll learn a lot in the preseason and we'll just have to see how it goes. One thing is certain, we have two very good backup QBs, so we should all be thankful for at least that much.

The bigger question to me is what happens to Ben if Dixon or Leftwich somehow manage to get the team to 4-0, or 6-0? What if they would then go on a losing streak like last year with Ben at the helm? Might be a bit of a controversy.

MasterOfPuppets
04-29-2010, 11:04 PM
whoever plays the best in preseason should get the start ...:noidea:

Rick5895
04-30-2010, 06:54 AM
I like Lefty, however, if Dixon is known to be the starter and gets his reps right from the start of camp, he IS THE BETTER OPTION. Making a decision based on a loss to a very good Ratbird team last year when DD's prep was near nil is unfair to Dixon.
If we are going to commit to the run like the coaches have said, that makes Dixon the better option, he has a better release than Byron, throws a better deep ball and runs run a very good bootleg off the fake. He has more upside. With Dixon at QB for the first 4-6 games then a package in the O could be tailored to his ability and talents, would do more to keep the opposition off balance.
Lefty is a great player but at this point in his career is more suited to coming off the bench.

tube517
04-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Oh please no. Tommy in '05 was bad. And that was the last year he played. Now, he probably would look for Rashean Mathis every time he went back to pass.

I'd rather the Steelers call up Tommy Gun at his insurance desk again than have Dennis Dixon be our starter.

Texasteel
04-30-2010, 07:36 AM
AMEN.

I love Dixon as our QB of the future, but Weeks 1-4 are VERY important and I'm just not comfortable yet with Dix after only seeing him in 1 game. Lefty is a seasoned vet and played admirably in place of Ben when needed. That is all you can really ask of your backup QB.

As for Batch - put him on the coaching staff as he would make a much better coach than he ever was a QB.

I think that is why they got Lefty back. He has played pretty well here. He is familiar with the team. I think most of the player would trust him. I have an idea that the Steelers are not all that comfortable going into the season with Dixon as their started.

We will know for sure in about 3 short months.

BlastFurnace
04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Oh please no. Tommy in '05 was bad. And that was the last year he played. Now, he probably would look for Rashean Mathis every time he went back to pass.

Ben has thrown more Pick 6's to Mathis than Tommy has. Mathis has returned 2 of Ben's passes for TD's.

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2010, 10:47 AM
if it were that easy we would of won the super bowl again last year

Right because having Troy P and Aaron on the Bench and an Air it Out offense is exactly what I said we should duplicate.

Are you just trying to provoke?

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I worry about Lefty's mobility, yet worry about Dixon's lack of experience and skills at reading a defense.

So its a toss up.

We need to win with running and defense. otherwise, 1-3 or 0-4 is highly likely.

SteelGhost
04-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I worry about Lefty's mobility, yet worry about Dixon's lack of experience and skills at reading a defense.

So its a toss up.

We need to win with running and defense. otherwise, 1-3 or 0-4 is highly likely.

I respectfully disagree Dino, the Atlanta and Tampa games are very winable whoever subs BB .The worst case scenario would be a 2-2 IMHO

:tt:

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I respectfully disagree Dino, the Atlanta and Tampa games are very winable whoever subs BB .The worst case scenario would be a 2-2 IMHO

:tt:

True, but I believe we need to have an established working offense that relies on the running game, that forces the defense's of those teams to drop a safety into the box so we can then throw, really really really deep to Wallace. Also, ball control and keeping our D off the field in these games will be important. Its a very tough way to get through a season, because obviously, you need balance and a good mix of passing and running, however early on, I could see us relying on the Running Game, as our staple until Ben's return. With huge plays required by the Defense and Special Teams.

I know, "that's how you would win any game" but really, when Ben is back, we will take more risks offensively in the passing game, because with him back there, we have a better chance of making up for any mistakes that might happen.

I trust Ben to lead our offense if we are down 17-0 at the half and make a come back 100 times more than I do either Lefty or Dixon. No offense, but Ben is a darn good player, has a short memory and can usually recover from mistakes in the same game.

So our Risks on offense will be much less, and should be much less, when Ben is on the pine, and we will need to focus more on establishing the line of scrimmage in a dominating fashion to open up the passing game for our lesser than awesome two quarterbacks.

SteelGhost
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
True, but I believe we need to have an established working offense that relies on the running game, that forces the defense's of those teams to drop a safety into the box so we can then throw, really really really deep to Wallace. Also, ball control and keeping our D off the field in these games will be important. Its a very tough way to get through a season, because obviously, you need balance and a good mix of passing and running, however early on, I could see us relying on the Running Game, as our staple until Ben's return. With huge plays required by the Defense and Special Teams.
I know, "that's how you would win any game" but really, when Ben is back, we will take more risks offensively in the passing game, because with him back there, we have a better chance of making up for any mistakes that might happen.

I trust Ben to lead our offense if we are down 17-0 at the half and make a come back 100 times more than I do either Lefty or Dixon. No offense, but Ben is a darn good player, has a short memory and can usually recover from mistakes in the same game.

So our Risks on offense will be much less, and should be much less, when Ben is on the pine, and we will need to focus more on establishing the line of scrimmage in a dominating fashion to open up the passing game for our lesser than awesome two quarterbacks.

Nice post Dino, I like your analysis :thumbsup:

That being said ... Can we agree that a 2-2 is realistic if we run the ball effectively and our ST don't screw up, whoever subs BB ?

Even If the suspension of our # 7 goes all the way through 6 games, I trust in a 4-2 mark, The Fins and the Browns games are very winable.

The going gets tough at Tennessee and at home against the Ratbirds. Those 2 games without BB will be really hard to win.

I didn't mention the Defense, because with the return of Troy, Aaron and BMac IMHO they'll play a lot better than they did in 2009 so we can trust them :thumbsup:

:tt03:

ricardisimo
04-30-2010, 06:00 PM
whoever plays the best in preseason should get the start ...:noidea:

You have to stop that kind of crazy talk.