PDA

View Full Version : ILBs???

Steeldude
04-28-2010, 12:48 AM
don't the steelers normally carry just 4 ILBs. if the do keep only 4, who is it going to be?

farrior, timmons, fox and most likely foote are locks. where does sylvester fit in if he shows promise? do they scrap a RB position?

OLB will be harrison and woodley for sure. after that it's a battle among the two draft picks and some untested veteran LBs. perhaps the steelers scrap one of the OLB areas for sylvester.

OneForTheToe
04-28-2010, 01:00 AM
don't the steelers normally carry just 4 ILBs. if the do keep only 4, who is it going to be?

farrior, timmons, fox and most likely foote are locks. where does sylvester fit in if he shows promise? do they scrap a RB position?

OLB will be harrison and woodley for sure. after that it's a battle among the two draft picks and some untested veteran LBs. perhaps the steelers scrap one of the OLB areas for sylvester.

True, alsoTimmons can cover one of the outside back-up positions, which allows the Steelers to keep the best 7 or 8 linebackers.

Tone's Toes
04-28-2010, 02:18 AM
ILB: Farrior, Timmons, Foote, Fox are locks, imo.

OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Worilds, Gibson are locks, imo.

Stevenson will have to make this team on special teams. If he shows flashes of being able to provide depth at ILB and plays well on special teams too the Steelers probably will find a spot for him somewhere. They'll likely just carry less at another position.

OneForTheToe
04-28-2010, 02:33 AM
ILB: Farrior, Timmons, Foote, Fox are locks, imo.

OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Worilds, Gibson are locks, imo.

Stevenson will have to make this team on special teams. If he shows flashes of being able to provide depth at ILB and plays well on special teams too the Steelers probably will find a spot for him somewhere. They'll likely just carry less at another position.

Yea, that's fair. I could see 9 linebackers and 6 defensive linemen making the team. That would leave Frazier, Bailey and Sylvester to fight it out for the last spot. As I said, Timmons position flexibility permits the Steelers to just keep the best 7, 8 or 9 linebackers they have without worrying much about inside or outside, or, for that matter, the lack of experience at outside if both OLB rookies make the team.

steelreserve
04-28-2010, 02:40 AM
We were basically carrying one too many DBs and one too many DLs last year. Plus there are some guys who may or not be back ... If I had to guess, he could take the roster spot of any of these guys (ones with question marks are guys I don't expect to see gone unless somebody actually beats them out):

Kirschke
Townsend
Carter
C. Davis
Parker
Logan
Frazier
Woods
Hills
Ratliff
Madison
Bailey
A. Harrison
Urbik (?)
Lewis (?)
Mundy (?)
Gay (?)

Of course, several of those spots will be taken up by other draft picks and FAs we signed, and some might make the team anyway. I probably also had a guy or two in there who aren't taking up a roster spot, but hey, I can't remember everything. Didn't even bother with the receivers, since that's going to be a dogfight in and of itself and no matter how many guys we cut, I doubt we'll actually open up a new roster spot. But there's still ample room to make the team for someone who does well.

Plus, there's always the possibility that we can stash our 4th-rounders and below on the practice squad. And there's always at least one player besides Batch who goes on IR before the start of the season, so that'll probably open up a spot too. I just hope it's nobody important.