PDA

View Full Version : New O-Line Scheme?

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 02:48 AM
Hey guys,

I've searched the internet and I've searched the forums and I'm still stumped.

I'm trying to figure out whether or new O-Line coach will continue to use a zone blocking scheme or switch back to a power man scheme.

Does anybody know?

I would appreciate someone sharing this.

I can't believe it is so hard to find.

ricardisimo
04-28-2010, 03:00 AM
My understanding is that - for whatever reason - they have Kugler effectively sequestered from the media and the fans. So, who knows what the hell he's doing? Maybe they want to surprise everyone on just that issue?

SteelerEmpire
04-28-2010, 03:26 AM
We'll see. With a new O-line coach I hope so...

Acerinox
04-28-2010, 03:56 AM
I would be amazed if the Z-Plan zone blocking system continued. My understanding was the most of the guys hated it, and not all of them were comfortable improvising, or understanding what their assignments were supposed to be after plays broke down.

I'm looking for something a bit nastier from Kugler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's hard to be truly aggressive on passing downs in a zone system, as over-committing is a cardinal sin. I like aggression. I saw one too many Benny-Hill moments last year, with the likes of Max Starks chasing dudes half their size around the place... and not enough potential blitzers lying on their azz with their legs in the air.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 04:00 AM
My understanding is that - for whatever reason - they have Kugler effectively sequestered from the media and the fans. So, who knows what the hell he's doing? Maybe they want to surprise everyone on just that issue?

I mean it is a simple question. I don't live in Pitt but I assume someone in the media has asked.

I really want to know whether this is minor improvemnt (staying with zone) or a drastic change (back to man). The change back to man can carry a boom or bust (If they do that) because this will be something new that they have not done for te past 3years. Whatever improvent in understanding the scheme will be gone. I'd like to try it though.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 04:06 AM
I would be amazed if the Z-Plan zone blocking system continued. My understanding was the most of the guys hated it, and not all of them were comfortable improvising, or understanding what their assignments were supposed to be after plays broke down.

I'm looking for something a bit nastier from Kugler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like it's hard to be truly aggressive on passing downs in a zone system, as over-committing is a cardinal sin. I like aggression. I saw one too many Benny-Hill moments last year, with the likes of Max Starks chasing dudes half their size around the place... and not enough potential blitzers lying on their azz with their legs in the air.

If they change the line scheme, I hope the Steelers opt to count Ben in their 53. He will need to get used to the new scheme (and new receivers). If they count him, he will be able to practice wit the team and will be able tobe on te sidelines. If tey don't count him, he can only watch from a luxury box or not be there and he can't practice. Missing 4 weeks of practice would be crazy..

solardave
04-28-2010, 04:35 AM
If they change the line scheme, I hope the Steelers opt to count Ben in their 53. He will need to get used to the new scheme (and new receivers). If they count him, he will be able to practice wit the team and will be able tobe on te sidelines. If tey don't count him, he can only watch from a luxury box or not be there and he can't practice. Missing 4 weeks of practice would be crazy..

The word is he doesn't practice well anyway.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 02:07 PM
The word is he doesn't practice well anyway.

It's not just Ben I want the receivers to be in sync with him...especially the number 3 receivers. This is especially true if Lefty wins the job. He bullets everyting and the ball comes out differently for a Left handed QB. Rotation is opposite and that might throw Sweed off...leading to more drops...lol

revefsreleets
04-28-2010, 02:55 PM
They only situationally zone blocked in the past. it wasn't there standard MO. But they DID quite a bit of it. El-Gonzo will tell you we are not a zone blocking team, but to me this is like a dude having sex with a dude just occasionally. Do it once, and you're gay in my book.

Anyway, the personnel on this team is way better suited to man blocking, so I doubt we will deviate from that as our base scheme. But every team does SOME zone blocking now....

7willBheaven
04-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I mean it is a simple question. I don't live in Pitt but I assume someone in the media has asked.

I really want to know whether this is minor improvemnt (staying with zone) or a drastic change (back to man). The change back to man can carry a boom or bust (If they do that) because this will be something new that they have not done for te past 3years. Whatever improvent in understanding the scheme will be gone. I'd like to try it though.

Nobody has come out and said anything about what to expect or what they will be doing. And in reality if you're only talking 3 years ago, about 1/2 of the guys were here then so its shouldnt be THAT big of a shock...not sure what the rookies did in school or J. Scott did in Buffalo but Starks, Kemo, Colon, and Essex were here if that 3 yr mark is correct...I really dont think it'd be that big of deal switching back to it...which I am thinking they will do.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Nobody has come out and said anything about what to expect or what they will be doing. And in reality if you're only talking 3 years ago, about 1/2 of the guys were here then so its shouldnt be THAT big of a shock...not sure what the rookies did in school or J. Scott did in Buffalo but Starks, Kemo, Colon, and Essex were here if that 3 yr mark is correct...I really dont think it'd be that big of deal switching back to it...which I am thinking they will do.

Yeah...that had crossed my mind (the guys that were here) but wen you beat something into them...then you have to have them change all that which they were trying to make instinctual, there can be a learing curve. Look at even video games. I played GTA years ago and was used to the controls then I played Warhawk for a year and when I went back to try to play GTA, getting your brain to untrain itself regarding the buttons was a challenge (BTW I'm no kid...lol). I hope training camp is enough time...

Psyychoward86
04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
to me this is like a dude having sex with a dude just occasionally. Do it once, and you're gay in my book.

lol

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Leftwich is right-handed but I understand what you mean. He throws rockets sometimes and it may throw the receivers off once Ben comes back.

Oops. I thought Leftwhich was left handed. I was wrong. Still he has no touch at all. Rocket for everything. Then he can look around and say "It bounced off your hands...you should have caught that." This can't be good for Sweed.

ricardisimo
04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Oops. I thought Leftwhich was left handed. I was wrong. Still he has no touch at all. Rocket for everything. Then he can look around and say "It bounced off your hands...you should have caught that." This can't be good for Sweed.

As I recall, Sweed seemed to do better with the other QBs than with Ben, for whatever reason.

AllD
04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
I think team chemistry showed when Lefty stood in for BB when he went down. He got rid of the ball quicker and the receivers did not give up on plays. It is a different style more reliant on timing than waiting for the play to blow up and then just winging it.

XxKnightxX
04-28-2010, 09:35 PM
When it really comes down to it, when you have a good O line coach, you gotta have the ability to block both Zone wise and Man-Wise. But i think with Kugler they will have more man and occational zone blocking. But I honestly think Kugler is more of a guy who will get on the O lines ass. Theyre going to hate him, but I truly believe he is going to get the best out of all the linemen. And you know the FO likes Kugler by giving him a First round Center/Guard as their number one pick this year.

Psyychoward86
04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
As I recall, Sweed seemed to do better with the other QBs than with Ben, for whatever reason.

yeah that would be with colt mccoy....in college

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 11:28 PM
yeah that would be with colt mccoy....in college

He did OK with Vince Young too. lol

Sweed is still the player i like to hear about. I really really wish he would reach his potential. I don't know what's wrong. If I were the staff, I would simplify is routes and have him just focus on speed and catching. Maybe he is nervous about falling on the hand.