PDA

View Full Version : Steelers heavy on linebackers after draft

Galax Steeler
04-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Linebacker U? Penn State deservedly holds the title. The Steelers issue post-graduate degrees, and three more will enroll this weekend.

As often is the case, two arrive as college defensive ends who will be taught to play outside linebacker in the 3-4 defense. They are Jason Worilds, a second-round draft choice from Virginia Tech, and Thaddeus Gibson, a fourth-round pick from Ohio State.

There also is fifth-rounder Stevenson Sylvester, an outside linebacker from Utah who will move inside at first with the Steelers.

That's two linebackers in the team's first four draft picks, three of the first seven. The Steelers also signed an undrafted rookie who will convert from defensive end to outside linebacker, Lindsey Witten of Connecticut.

Their draft selections might suggest the Steelers are desperate for outside linebackers, yet they have three-time Pro Bowler James Harrison, the 2008 defensive player of the year, and newly minted Pro Bowler LaMarr Woodley as starters.

Do the Steelers know something the rest of the football world does not? They know how to find outside linebackers, for sure, and the rookie group this year is no different than how they've done it in the past.

"They are two quality, young, 250-pound-ish men, if you will," coach Mike Tomlin said of Worilds and Gibson. "Of course, we value that here in Pittsburgh. We believe that's a formula for winning football. They are big guys that can run. They love to play the game in a physical manner. We're looking for those guys to contribute in whatever ways that we ask them."

The formula the Steelers have followed for a long time is to draft an undersized 4-3 end and groom him to play outside linebacker, all while he plays special teams.

It worked that way for Woodley, Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, Clark Haggans, Mike Vrabel and more. There were misses along the way: Bruce Davis (third round, 2008), Alonzo Jackson (second, 2003) and the most infamous of all, Huey Richardson (first, 1991), but no position has produced more Steelers Pro Bowlers than linebacker.

The Steelers always are on the lookout for them, particularly outside linebackers. The outside linebackers in the 3-4 drive the pass rush (in a 4-3, the defensive ends are the primary rushers). They have to be stouter than outside linebackers in the 4-3, who mostly cover and play the run. Yet, they have to be able to cover backs, tight ends and the occasional wide receiver in that scheme. Scouts often label them "tweeners" coming out of college, a cross between end and linebacker.

Not so many years ago, the Steelers could find them in the middle rounds (Haggans in the fifth, Porter, Vrabel and Gildon all in the third). But with more defenses playing the 3-4, they have become a more prized commodity, thus Woodley and Worilds were drafted in the second.

Woodley came on more quickly than any of them, but despite his pass-rushing prowess as a rookie in 2007, he was not deemed ready to play the position regularly. It took a few years for the others to move into the starting lineup, and all played well on special teams in the meantime (the red flags went up on Davis early when he did not even play there).

"First and foremost, I hope they are capable of [being] kickoff coverage unit men," Tomlin said of his rookie linebackers. "That would be the first job description that they have. If they can do an adequate job of that, then we'll get to see if they are capable of rushing the passer."

While they have those two Pro Bowlers at outside linebacker, the Steelers always must look ahead because of the developmental time, because it is such a key position to their defense and because a player can lose the crucial quickness at outside linebacker in a flash. Harrison has shown no signs of losing anything, but he turns 32 years old next week, and Woodley would become a free agent next year if he does not sign a contract extension before then. There also is little depth behind them -- or was until the past weekend.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10118/1053828-66.stm#ixzz0mNpDxljO

SteelKid212
04-28-2010, 10:59 AM
ITS NEVER A BAD THING TO OVERLOAD WITH TALENT. ONE MAN GOES DOWN, ANOTHER STEP IN WITHOUT MISSING A BEAT.

AND THIS BOOSTS OUR SPECIAL TEAMS AS WELL.

IM CONTENT WITH THE PICKS THIS YEAR.
HOPE THEY ALL PAN OUT!!!

GO STEELERS!!!:tt03:

SteelerFanInStl
04-28-2010, 11:55 AM
I'll be happy if these guys can make a difference on ST this year.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
The UDFA's are more camp bodies to take reps so the proven vets don't get too dinged up. Any that make it will be there purely for help on ST.

Gibson, IMHO, will play ST this year as he learns the nuances of the Steelers complex 3-4 scheme. He will end up being James Harrison's replacement. I was so stoked when the Steelers picked him up. He's going to be a beast.

Worilds is going to be good too, but I think Gibson will be better. Gibson played in coverage some during his Ohio State days and I think there were times where he rushed and dropped into coverage from a two point stance, so the Steelers already know that he has the tools to do it. Worilds was always in the three point stance from everything I have read.

I just hope we didn't take two OLB prospects because the Steelers think they are going to lose Woodley. He has quickly become one of our favorites and I was planning on getting an authentic Woodley jersey. I will just have to wait until the Steelers resign him or he walks.

kirklandrules
04-28-2010, 02:26 PM
The UDFA's are more camp bodies to take reps so the proven vets don't get too dinged up. Any that make it will be there purely for help on ST.

I wouldn't necessarily think this way. This organization has done an excellent job picking some of these guys up and turning them into something. Not to go into a list, but we all have seen the Willie Parkers, James Harrisons, Dan Krieders (and Ramon Fosters) come in and make the team better. Yes, they need people to fill those camp bodies and end up on the practice squad. However, we have seen some of these guys make real contributions on Sundays while the FO has to go out and find another warm body to become practice squad fodder. In fact, the Steelers seem to get good recognition for finding the diamonds in the rough ... which is a credit to our scouting department. Hell, they identified Willie Parker in high school even though he wasn't nationally known and followed his progress through college and picked him up off the streets.