PDA

View Full Version : Kiper weighs in on Steelers' draft

mesaSteeler
04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/04/27/kiper-weighs-in-on-steelers-draft/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box
Scott Brown

Kiper weighs in on Steelers' draft
April 27th, 2010

I haven’t had a chance to see many draft “grades,” which annoy me more than rush-hour traffic, but that is another blog for another day. I did get a chance to ask ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. on Monday his thoughts on the Steelers’ draft and he had some interesting things to say.

The one thing jumped out is Kiper’s belief that the Steelers got quality as well as quantity out of the draft. He said all 10 of the Steelers’ draft picks have a good chance of making the team's 53-man roster.

“I’d say at the end of the day, all these kids play in the league for somebody, if not for the Steelers, it’s going to be for somebody,” Kiper said.

Here are some other observations he made about the Steelers’ draft.

— He applauded their choice of center/guard Maurkice Pouncey with their first-round pick, No. 18 overall.

“There was talk that he could go a little earlier,” Kiper said. “Very intelligent kid. Great character. At the end of the day he’s going to give them that physically inside presence.”

— Kiper said second- and fourth-round picks Jason Worildes and Thaddeus Gibson are “classic” 3-4 outside linebackers. Both will make the transition from defensive end to linebacker with the Steelers, something 2008 third-round pick Bruce Davis couldn’t do.

— Kiper indicated that the success of the Steelers’ draft could hinge on third-round pick Emmanuel Sanders

“There’s going to be a lot of expected from Emmanuel Sanders,” Kiper said. “He caught the ball in that June Jone’s offense on the SMU teams that really turned it around this past year. He was the key element in that offense.”

-- Kiper said cornerback Crezdon Butler, a fifth-round pick, could eventually become a starter with the Steelers

“Butler could be your third, fourth, fifth defensive back in that rotation as a reserve (this season) and can help you down the road maybe more than that,” Kiper said.

— Don’t dismiss defensive end Doug Worthington as an afterthought, Kiper said, even though the Steelers took the Ohio State product late in the seventh round.

“I think he’ll make the team,” Kiper said. “Hustler, had a very productive year with the Buckeyes.”

Steelers>NFL
04-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Nothing about J. Dwyer - 6th round pick!!!

Sharkissle29
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM

or my boy stevenson sylvester????

M.C. Smith
04-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Yeah, I think Dywer may turn out to be one of the biggest steals of this year's draft.

Steelerfreak58
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
What is with everyone and their mother using "At the end of the day." :blah::blah::blah:

Prok
04-28-2010, 12:58 PM
I think we did a pretty good job with the draft.

If i could question anything, it would be Worilds in 2. I think your first 2 picks should always be guys who could come in and compete for jobs right away. Just hoping he's not another Alonzo Jackson type.

Men of Steel
04-28-2010, 01:53 PM
estupet mel kiper.

didnt mention all our picks...

Steelers>NFL
04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
estupet mel kiper.

didnt mention all our picks...
He is a Ratbirds fan. So he is not gonna give lots of good credit to the Steelers
draft picks.

AllD
04-28-2010, 02:00 PM
No way all 10 picks make the 53 man cut, no way.

pancake
04-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I have said in other posts that I like the Butler kid. He has speed and size Steelers like.

Fire Haley
04-28-2010, 02:33 PM
I like reading Mel's old draft grades

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

Running back wasn't a need area in the first round, but when Rashard Mendenhall was still on the board at No. 23, he became a luxury pick. Mendenhall was a very good pick, so too was Limas Sweed, who fell to the 53rd overall pick.

Dennis Dixon was a one-year wonder at Oregon before he suffered a season-ending knee injury. He showed skills in 2007; still, Dixon is a good fifth-round pick as someone you can develop.

Bruce Davis fits the Steelers' scheme as an OLB (he had 24.5 sacks the past two seasons).

Tony Hills is a solid backup at OT who has the ability to push for a starting role if he can work on his aggressiveness.

Mike Humpal could be a good backup LB and help out on special teams; and safety Ryan Mundy will be a decent special teams player.

----------------

2009 Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed.

Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round.

Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

Men of Steel
04-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I like reading Mel's old draft grades

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

Running back wasn't a need area in the first round, but when Rashard Mendenhall was still on the board at No. 23, he became a luxury pick. Mendenhall was a very good pick, so too was Limas Sweed, who fell to the 53rd overall pick.

Dennis Dixon was a one-year wonder at Oregon before he suffered a season-ending knee injury. He showed skills in 2007; still, Dixon is a good fifth-round pick as someone you can develop.

Bruce Davis fits the Steelers' scheme as an OLB (he had 24.5 sacks the past two seasons).

Tony Hills is a solid backup at OT who has the ability to push for a starting role if he can work on his aggressiveness.

Mike Humpal could be a good backup LB and help out on special teams; and safety Ryan Mundy will be a decent special teams player.

sometimes... mel's just a tad "off" on his predictions...:doh:

Bluedust
04-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I think Dywer may turn out to be one of the biggest steals of this year's draft.

Best part is he'll have a huge chip on his shoulder from dropping so far.

Sharkissle29
04-28-2010, 06:33 PM
yea when jamarcus russell was drafted he said he would be a top 5 QB in 3 years....LOL!!!!!!