PDA

View Full Version : Draft Do-over with you as Boss

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 04:20 PM
OK.

What draft picks would you have taken if we had made you Steelers FO Boss? (Based on who was really available)

This is for fun and hopefully it will be around in 3 years so we can see how you did.

Rules:
1.No trades that did not actually occur (no moving up or down unless the Steelers did it).
2. Once you pass on a Steelers draft pick, you must assume the player is gone before your next pick. (e.g. No Worilds in the 3rd round).

Good Luck

7willBheaven
04-28-2010, 04:31 PM
This will be moved to the correct board (draft board) in 3 - 2 - 1 .....

steelreserve
04-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Rules:
1.No trades that did not actually occur (no moving up or down unless the Steelers did it).
2. Once you pass on a Steelers draft pick, you must assume the player is gone before your next pick. (e.g. No Worilds in the 3rd round).

What fun would that be? Those are exactly the two main ways the Steelers screwed up.

pete74
04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
i didnt love the draft at 1st glance but after alot of research i would do it exactly the same way. we got ourselves some good LB's and a speedy WR. i really like our draft and wouldnt trade a thing

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 04:59 PM
1.(18) Kyle Wilson CB Boise St. -You can never have enough shut down CB so if the steelers think for a second that either he or Kareem jackson could be that, they should grab him. Even with them knowing about BMac, they could have played him at nickel and let him take over next year. Ike Taylor will be 30 next year. he may start to slow down and you never know when you will be in position to draft an elite CB again.

2.(52) Golden Tate WR ND- Almost as fast as Sanders and may eventually replace Hines. Good hands.

3.(82) Bruce Cambell OT Maryland -project that was rated as a first round talent by some. His film didn't match but a 3rd round project is reasonable.

4. (116) Thaddeus Gibson DE Ohio State -Woodley may be hard to resign. Start training him to replace Woodley.

5. (151) Matt Tennant C BC -second best center in this draft class.

5.(164) Carlton Mitchel WR South Florida -fast 6'3 receiver. Good project.

5. (166) Sylvester Stevenson LB Utah

6. (188) Jonathan Dwyer RB GT -Honestly I would have taken him earlier but what a steal.

6. (195) Myron Rolle S Florida State.

7. Doug Worthington DT Ohio St.

In addition the trades for Bryant McFadden and Byron Leftwhich were good and apply.

I must say I'm liking our picks now but here is another plan that might have worked. The one I miss most is Wilson.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
This will be moved to the correct board (draft board) in 3 - 2 - 1 .....

The draft is dead and so is the draft board...about 4 people on it compared to 50 something people. This is post draft talk. That's why I chose to put it here. It is Steelers talk about our future.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 05:03 PM
What fun would that be? Those are exactly the two main ways the Steelers screwed up.

It makes it unrealistic because you never know if you would have found a trading partner.

I have learned to like the players we got but I still wanted Kyle Wilson.

SteelCurtain0815
04-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Like the idea. I agree with all of your draft, except Wilson at 1. I like the Pouncey pick, but if all of those players that you picked turn out to be quality NFL starters then you'll like a genius. Had me :drink: to that when you switched our 2nd and 3rd rounds picks.

steelreserve
04-28-2010, 06:15 PM
It makes it unrealistic because you never know if you would have found a trading partner.

I have learned to like the players we got but I still wanted Kyle Wilson.

Fair enough. But my main complaint is that we could've grabbed Tate or Cody in the second and then either Worilds would've been there in the third, or we could've traded up easily to get him.

You know what, though? Screw Worilds. The only reason I keep saying "we could've done _____ and still gotten Worilds" is because we obviously valued him highly, and if we really wanted him that bad, rather than completely throw out what the front office thought, I guess I'll trust that we wanted him on the team. But if I'm in charge, OLB depth is more of a fifth-round-dice-roll type of issue and we don't need him at all.

So what I'd change would be:

1. Pouncey
2. Terrance Cody, DT - Alabama
3. Brandon Ghee, CB - Wake Forest
4. Gibson
5. Scott
5. Sylvester
5. (insert generic WR, CB or lineman)
6. Dwyer
6. Tony Pike, QB - Cincinnati
7. Fine as-is

You could switch Tate in for #2 and/or Bruce Campbell in for #3 and I'd be just as happy. Sanders isn't a bad #3, so he could go there too and leave me content as long as Tate wasn't the #2 (duh). That "generic" pick at #5 would be whichever position we didn't take at 2-3.

7willBheaven
04-28-2010, 06:27 PM
The draft is dead and so is the draft board...about 4 people on it compared to 50 something people. This is post draft talk. That's why I chose to put it here. It is Steelers talk about our future.

Doesnt matter...i've had things moved before to the appropriate board no matter how active it is or what time of year it is.

And also an FYI on your "re-draft" you forgot a 5th rounder...we still had 3. And also I dont like your draft...you fail to address the WEAKEST spot on our OL C/G..

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 06:47 PM
And also an FYI on your "re-draft" you forgot a 5th rounder...we still had 3. And also I dont like your draft...you fail to address the WEAKEST spot on our OL C/G..

Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to add the second best center of the class and fix that problem you mentioned.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Fair enough. But my main complaint is that we could've grabbed Tate or Cody in the second and then either Worilds would've been there in the third, or we could've traded up easily to get him.

You could switch Tate in for #2 and/or Bruce Campbell in for #3 and I'd be just as happy. Sanders isn't a bad #3, so he could go there too and leave me content as long as Tate wasn't the #2 (duh). That "generic" pick at #5 would be whichever position we didn't take at 2-3.

Interesting. I don't know how good Ghee is. I was surprised to see him in NY. Is he pretty good?

I updated mine and I was happy to pair, one of the top corners with the second best center and one of the top receivers

My package
Wilson (CB), Tate(WR), Tennent (C), Carlton Mitchel (WR)

Steelers package
Butler (CB), Sanders(WR), Pouncey (C), Brown (WR)

Both also have Stevenson, Dwyer, McFadden coming back, Gibson, and Worthington

I must admit my package includes Myron Rolle while theirs includes Jason Worilds. lol

7willBheaven
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to add the second best center of the class and fix that problem you mentioned.

Thats a little better looking than the first one...though i still dislike workour warrior Campbell, but thats just me. Plus in reality he could have a hard time even making the final roster with all the guys we have already, I dont see them trusting him to be the backup LT/RT role that usually Hills plays (but will now probably be played by J. Scott).

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Thats a little better looking than the first one...though i still dislike workour warrior Campbell, but thats just me. Plus in reality he could have a hard time even making the final roster with all the guys we have already, I dont see them trusting him to be the backup LT/RT role that usually Hills plays (but will now probably be played by J. Scott).

IMO a 3rd round pick can fail. If your first round pick becomes an excellent starter than you've done well. If your first AND second become starters, you've had a good draft.

3rd and all the later picks are guesses and if you can get 2 contributors, you did well. Dwyer already helps there so if just one more contributes, things are good.

2005 Trai Essex (contributor)
2006 Anthony Smith, Willie Reid (bomb, bomb)
2007 Matt Spaeth (contributor)
2008 Bruce Davis (bomb)
2009 Kraig Urbik, Mike Wallace, Kenan Lewis. (unknown, starter, unknown)

7willBheaven
04-28-2010, 10:35 PM
IMO a 3rd round pick can fail. If your first round pick becomes an excellent starter than you've done well. If your first AND second become starters, you've had a good draft.

3rd and all the later picks are guesses and if you can get 2 contributors, you did well. Dwyer already helps there so if just one more contributes, things are good.

2005 Trai Essex (contributor)
2006 Anthony Smith, Willie Reid (bomb, bomb)
2007 Matt Spaeth (contributor)
2008 Bruce Davis (bomb)
2009 Kraig Urbik, Mike Wallace, Kenan Lewis. (unknown, starter, unknown)

I look at it kinda like the NFL does...1st round the main stage (hence 1 entire night for it on TV), along with the 2nd/3rd (both rounds had 1 full night) are the biggest 3 rounds and I expect all 3 rounds to be potential starters or at least good/solid player (even if they dont start)...we've had some ok/crappy-ish luck with 3rds...but that doesnt mean we shouldnt have high expectations from that round. Of course a starter/etc can come from ANY round, but still...i hold and rate the top 3 rounds higher than the rest...and close to equals (as far as 2nd/3rd rounders at least)

SteelKnight
04-29-2010, 12:08 AM
I look at it kinda like the NFL does...1st round the main stage (hence 1 entire night for it on TV), along with the 2nd/3rd (both rounds had 1 full night) are the biggest 3 rounds and I expect all 3 rounds to be potential starters or at least good/solid player (even if they dont start)...we've had some ok/crappy-ish luck with 3rds...but that doesnt mean we shouldnt have high expectations from that round. Of course a starter/etc can come from ANY round, but still...i hold and rate the top 3 rounds higher than the rest...and close to equals (as far as 2nd/3rd rounders at least)

Not worth arguing but I do see a difference between 2 and 3 and I consider 1 and 2 players you want to get to be future starters. If your 3rd round pick can be a contributor, fine.

I think if you get 2 starters (including your first pick) and 2 contributors, then one has to say you had a successful draft (ignoring who you passed up). I think Pouncey will start and Dweyer will be a contributor so the success of this draft really relies around whether Worilds is a future starter and one other person contributes. I have to think that Sanders will find a way to contribute so it's all on Worilds.

It's all for fun anyway. I've made a lot of bad picks. 2007 Dwayne Jarrett, Quenten Moses, Michael Bush (all nobodies). I liked Sidney Rice ...who seemed kind of Busty until Farve came in and helped him develop. The TV hypes people. I thought that Leron Landry might end up being the most dynamic player of that class. Heck...I even though Antonio Pitman may turn out to be a good runner in later rounds. That I blame on this video. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMhonqcbXv8

pete74
04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
i dont see how anyone can not love our draft after reviewing the players. gibson and worilds are both great LB's that may of went in the 1st if they stayed in school another year. worilds will be the next woodley if not better because he is more athletic and i consider him a steal in the 2nd. pouncey is probably the best center to come out of college in 10 years. hell even sanders looks like he can take holmes spot. like alot of you i didnt like the draft at 1st but after further review i think it was our best in many years and alot of you that are ripping on worilds now will probably be buying his jersy in 2 years or so.

SteelKnight
04-29-2010, 07:03 PM
i dont see how anyone can not love our draft after reviewing the players. gibson and worilds are both great LB's that may of went in the 1st if they stayed in school another year. worilds will be the next woodley if not better because he is more athletic and i consider him a steal in the 2nd. pouncey is probably the best center to come out of college in 10 years. hell even sanders looks like he can take holmes spot. like alot of you i didnt like the draft at 1st but after further review i think it was our best in many years and alot of you that are ripping on worilds now will probably be buying his jersy in 2 years or so.

I like our draft. It is only Kyle Wilson that haunts me. I have flashbacks of how we missed Revis by one pick. Now I have to root for Wilson to be a bust.

I learned about the players and MADE myself like them and be happy. McFadden coming back and Dwyer helped a lot.

I see the other 3 teams adding A LOT to their teams in the off season and I see us only adding Pouncey and Dwyer (who will play). Sure we get Troy and McFadden back. I hope it will be enough. It will be a blessing if Sanders turns out to be good or Sweed can finally step up. Randel El does not excite me because he did not score a single TD as A STARTER last year...terrible.

So in the end I'm alright. The questions will be:

1. Can we beat Baltimore in game 4 without Ben? As soon as we lost that game last year, I know that could be the deciding game and I was right.

2. Does McFadden still have his stuff? Can we get a solid #3 CB out of the group? You need 3 these days.

3. What scheme will the new O-Line coach use and can the guys execute it?

4. Can either Sanders or Sweed step in to #3 and be spectacular?

SteelKnight
04-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Thank God Baltimore did not get Dez Bryant. It would be scary dealing with Bryant, Boulden and Stallworth in addition to their awesome running game and great defense. At least now we can put our #3 on Derrick Mason (pretty goood WR and their #1 last year). If Stallworth is any good, the Ravens could be poised to win the Superbowl...but at least they don't have Bryant.

vasteeler
04-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Thank God Baltimore did not get Dez Bryant. It would be scary dealing with Bryant, Boulden and Stallworth in addition to their awesome running game and great defense. At least now we can put our #3 on Derrick Mason (pretty goood WR and their #1 last year). If Stallworth is any good, the Ravens could be poised to win the Superbowl...but at least they don't have Bryant.

:puke: :sign02: :yikes: :screwy: :buttkick:

truesteelerfan
04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Only change I would have made was to get Cody as our future NT. Hated to see him go to Baltimore...I think he would have been a great potential replacement for Snack

steelerdave1969
04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
OK.

What draft picks would you have taken if we had made you Steelers FO Boss? (Based on who was really available)

This is for fun and hopefully it will be around in 3 years so we can see how you did.

Rules:

Good Luck

Our 2010 Draft Is Finished and What It Is Is What It Is . . they did their job and we need to accept it for what it is. We are all just armchair Steelers fans, not paid to search for college talent.

SteelKnight
04-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Our 2010 Draft Is Finished and What It Is Is What It Is . . they did their job and we need to accept it for what it is. We are all just armchair Steelers fans, not paid to search for college talent.

That's true but all of this is just for fun. Even for me, sports, the draft, and being a Steelers fan is just for fun.

I sort of know what you mean by we need to accept and I have started doing that. I really do like our picks.

Bottom line is have fun and avoid that which is not fun. If sharing with others who you would have chosen as a fan is not fun to you, avoid, avoid.

Here's to hoping Wilson does not turn out to be great like Revis.

Patron Saint
04-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm new to the board, though I post on ESPN and another Steelers website (MGS).

I'm a draft-nik, I do it every year (since I'm a disabled combat veteran from OIF and OEF) and love it. I tape just about every collegiate game that I can get. I go back over the tape and look at prospects. Not a big fan of the combine (numbers, stats, etc) though I think some parts of it serves purpose. With all that a side, and based upon my own draft board (not Mel Kiper's, he sucks or anyone else) and also, knowing where players were selected I'll have a go at it.

1: Bryan Bulaga (OT): I can't believe this kid fell to us and I thought he was a lock. A true LT who some had as a top 5 pick fell to us because of his arm length? Great size, great strength, can slide and mirror vs. speed, great work ethic, other than his arm length (33) I see no flaws in this kids game, period.

2: J.D. Walton (C): I've said from day 1 this kid is the best all-around C coming out into this draft. He went up against N Suh and G. McCoy, among other top DT. With Denver taking him 2 spots before us in the 3rd, I'd easily take him right here in the 2nd. He is ready to start day one and has the strength to take on any NT or DT that we come up against. If you watch him on film, he stands out as a "Steeler".

3: Brandon Ghee (CB): Another guy who fell, and fell hard. Measure at 6' 0 and a 4.37 - 40 I'm not sure why he fell so hard. The kid shows a lot of upside.

4: Eric Norwood (OLB): Instead of going after T. Gibson, I would have targeted E. Norwood right here. He is completely dominant on film and has had a solid career at South Carolina.

5: Cam Thomas (NT): Another surprise faller, but I blame that on the NT position. He has solid strength and upgrades our depth at the position. This would allow us to move C. Hoke to DE, instantly upgrading that position behind B. Keisel as well.

5: Brandon Carter (OG): We took C. Scott here (who can play T, G or C) but he was clearly a selection I would have taken when I called up UDRFA's. Carter has a mean streak and plays solid on tape.

5: Rashard Jones (FS/SS): Athletic, strong, can play either position (FS/SS). Immediately upgrades the secondary and depth at the position.

6: Jonathon Dwyer (HB): Great value here even though he is a 1 dimensional HB...but he played well his Freshman year on C. Gailey, so I believe he can do more than run north-south. He displayed solid hands, picked up the blitz and showed some speed around the edge for a big guy his freshman year. The Steelers got a steal here.

6: Blair White (WR): I can't believe this kid didn't get drafted, but I believe he will become another UDRFA who becomes a starter in the years to come. 6-2, 205, 4.4 - 40. He has displayed great hands, a willingness to go over the middle and take a hit, plus he's a great story...walk-on to starter. His work ethic is solid as well.

7: Richie Brockel (FB/TE): Not only can this block well, but he is versatile athlete who can also play TE. He could start right now at FB and give us that blocking FB we have missed since cutting John Kuhn and letting him go to Green Bay to start.

Chidi29
04-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey Patron, glad to see you here.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forums.

SteelKnight
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Hello Patron,

Thanks for your analysis.

I think the thing that scared people off regarding Bulaga besides the arm length was Bulaga getting beat senior day by one of the DEs...Brandon Graham...such bad luck because if he had played against an inferior talent, he would have gone higher. The short ams thing bothered me too until I heard a couple of the best LTs in the league also have short arms. I must admit that they had me so scared that I was hoping the Steelers didn't take him. Any of the other 3 sounded better. Time will tell.

I had not heard much about Ghee until I saw him in NY. I hope he is not good since Cinci took him.

Cool. Thanks. You have a bunch of people who I don't know on ere. This will be fun to look back at 3 years from now.