PDA

View Full Version : Steelers NT future

MexicanSteel
04-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Really guys, the steelers need a NT now !!! I was wondering the steelers draft one in this year draft cause bigs nack isnīt getting any younger he is 32 and tomlin alredy bench him cause he was overheighted (I dont know how tomlin see hampton), dont get me wrong I love hampton and what he bring to the steelers the last decade.. but how many years you think he could play for us at that level...and Hoke isnt that good and he is also 32......Even if we have the best LB corp the team would suck if we dont have a big NT that can anchor the middle of our defense.....I think the we need to draft the best NT in the next year draft so he could start in 1 or 2 years..

What you guys think ????

pete74
04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
we will get one in the 1st or 2nd round next year. we could get lucky and find someone like Hampton who can start immediatly if need be

Steelerfreak58
04-28-2010, 05:37 PM
How old is Hoke?

pete74
04-28-2010, 05:41 PM
hood can probably fill in if there was an emergancy

pete74
04-28-2010, 05:42 PM
How old is Hoke?

Hoke is 34

solardave
04-28-2010, 05:43 PM
We're good this year. Next year we draft his replacement. And by the way- Hoke is a good backup.

tube517
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Hoke is not an All Pro but he is a serviceable backup. Saying he "isn't that good" is off base.

Really guys, the steelers need a NT now !!! I was wondering the steelers draft one in this year draft cause bigs nack isnīt getting any younger he is 32 and tomlin alredy bench him cause he was overheighted (I dont know how tomlin see hampton), dont get me wrong I love hampton and what he bring to the steelers the last decade.. but how many years you think he could play for us at that level...and Hoke isnt that good and he is also 32......Even if we have the best LB corp the team would suck if we dont have a big NT that can anchor the middle of our defense.....I think the we need to draft the best NT in the next year draft so he could start in 1 or 2 years..

What you guys think ????

steeltheone
04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
The thing is when we draft a player it seems to take 2 to 3 years for him to start. We could afford this when we were a young team. Now we have a boat load of 33 year old over paid players that will need replaced at once.

Psyychoward86
04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Now we have a boat load of 33 year old over paid players that will need replaced at once.[/I][/B]

that's what i was thinking. Even after we get someone who can be a stalwart at nosetackle for us, we need a good backup too since Hoke is gonna be old as hell too by that time

7willBheaven
04-28-2010, 06:51 PM

What you guys think ????

Wow it was painful to read this...looks like a 12 year old wrote that, hah :-P. Anyways...Hoke is actually pretty good....when Casey went down...a few years back we didnt miss a step with Hoke...and plus Hoke MAY be getting older, BUT he doesnt have the wear and tear on his body. He's almost always been a STer or BU (besides the time(s) when Casey was out)....so he's not beat up/etc as much as a starter. Once they re-signed Casey I knew NT wouldnt be a need this year. I'm sure they will draft one within the next 1-2 years (obviously).

One thing I will throw out there, is theres this guy who the Colts drafted in the 4th round last year...Terrance Taylor, he's like 6'0 320lb...perfect size. He was cut by the Colts last year and was picked up by the Lions, but when they drafted Suh he was cut. I remember seeing people before the 2009 draft wanted us to take him or Sammie Lee Hill as a future replacement for Casey. I wouldnt mind seeing them bring in Taylor and see what he's got...not sure why Indy cut him...didnt fit their scheme? Injury? Or whatever...dunno...but I think he's got the size/etc to be a good NT and would be worth a shot. Thoughts?

MexicanSteel
04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
sorry for the bad english :P

steelerdave1969
04-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Come on folks, if you have been paying attention to the Steelers the last few years we have been getting old on defense. But we have some nice young talent as well. Ziggy Hood on the D Line and Lawrence Timmons at LB and Lamar Woodley is just getting started as well. Now that we have Bryant McFadden back he is still young at Corner. I know our S's are getting some age on them as well, but we have tried to address those so I dont see how anyone can be discouraged with what the Steelers have accomplished in the past with older players and having players ready to replace them.

steelreserve
04-28-2010, 10:55 PM
Hoke will do fine in the short term because he has super powers from being in the Aquabats Cadet Fan Club.

I also think "Bigs Nack" is a much catchier nickname for Hampton, and nominate it for immediate adoption.

SteelKnight
04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
We are good now. Hampton has at least 2 more years if not all 3. I don't think that position will require more than 1 year training so we should be good getting one next year. We don't even have room on the roster for 3 and an elite one would be taken early. We can always get one next year.

Too bad Hoke is old because I must admit that I notice no drop off at all when Hoke is in there.

Tone's Toes
04-28-2010, 11:54 PM
They'll be another draft next year and the year after that and when the time is right we'll take a NT. No reason to get rid of Snack & Hokey Poky right now since they both are still solid for us.

Steeldude
04-29-2010, 12:25 AM
and Hoke isnt that good and he is also 32

hoke has played very well when called upon.

the steelers will most likely address the NT position in next year's draft. they can only address so many positions per draft.

Steelerfreak58
04-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Next years draft I predict 3 more OLB's then 4 WR's!:sofunny:

Aussie_steeler
04-29-2010, 01:32 AM
I am going to start pimping early

My NT for 2010 is Jerrell Powe

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632316?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Dont be surprised if Bigs Nack sticks around for a few more years and there is no need to draft an NT in the early rounds for a couple more years

Galax Steeler
04-29-2010, 03:31 AM
Dont be surprised if Bigs Nack sticks around for a few more years and there is no need to draft an NT in the early rounds for a couple more years

They have him projected to go in the first round. If we done that in the first I think people would be saying we took one to early. Are would we want one that early that is the question the front office will have to deal with.

pete74
04-29-2010, 03:56 AM
I am going to start pimping early

My NT for 2010 is Jerrell Powe

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632316?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

i would love to have him

MongoSteeler
04-29-2010, 04:40 AM
UDFA Lindsey Powell is the guy they picked up reportedly to replace Hampton.

mikeyg
04-29-2010, 06:52 AM
this is all part of the case against Colbert.

we had a zillion picks and only 1/2 (if that) will make the team. I wanted quality, not quantity this draft. There were 2 or 3 guys that we huge and we could have grabbed by round 3. Terrance Cody went right past us the RATS - fun fun fun - we get to watch him STUFF US for years!

nice job Colbert

Steelers>NFL
04-29-2010, 07:03 AM

we had a zillion picks and only 1/2 (if that) will make the team. I wanted quality, not quantity this draft. There were 2 or 3 guys that we huge and we could have grabbed by round 3. Terrance Cody went right past us the RATS - fun fun fun - we get to watch him STUFF US for years!

nice job Colbert
Colbert is doing a fine job. Haven't you notice that the Steelers won the Super Bowl 2 of the last 4 years. And at least 20 of 22 starters from last years SB were talents drafted or UFDA by the Steelers. That says a lot right there!

pete74
04-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Colbert is doing a fine job. Haven't you notice that the Steelers won the Super Bowl 2 of the last 4 years. And at least 20 of 22 starters from last years SB were talents drafted or UFDA by the Steelers. That says a lot right there!

20 of 22!!! I don't think so

mikeyg
04-29-2010, 07:46 AM

2 of the last 5
2005 us
2006 colts
2007 gints
2008 us
2009 saints

and your arguement for 20 of 22 last year? How did that work for us?

I will not apologize for 2008 (we had one of the best D's of the decade that year), but the colts and pats were down with injuries, off years. Ben is the one colbert pick that has saved this org. for years.

our oline has been lacking talent for years and we have a very suspect DB crew right now - Polu goes out and we can't beat the raiders and chefs and browns. we can do better - i realize it is not all colbert (tomlin is starting to be on the hook for some of this as far as I am concerned) but if colbert hits the road with cowher next year, we will be just fine.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-29-2010, 08:52 AM
20 of 22!!! I don't think so

He' close. 18 out of 22. The only starters not drafted by Colbert or brought in as rookie UDFA were Farrior(FA), Hartwig(FA), Clark(FA) and Ward(drafted 2 years before Colbert became Director).

Steelers>NFL
04-29-2010, 08:57 AM
He' close. 18 out of 22. The only starters not drafted by Colbert or brought in as rookie UDFA were Farrior(FA), Hartwig(FA), Clark(FA) and Ward(drafted 2 years before Colbert became Director).
Thank you. I miscalculated.
But despite, Colbert is with the draft!!! :noidea:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
2 of the last 5
2005 us
2006 colts
2007 gints
2008 us
2009 saints

and your arguement for 20 of 22 last year? How did that work for us?

I will not apologize for 2008 (we had one of the best D's of the decade that year), but the colts and pats were down with injuries, off years. Ben is the one colbert pick that has saved this org. for years.

our oline has been lacking talent for years and we have a very suspect DB crew right now - Polu goes out and we can't beat the raiders and chefs and browns. we can do better - i realize it is not all colbert (tomlin is starting to be on the hook for some of this as far as I am concerned) but if colbert hits the road with cowher next year, we will be just fine.

Thats a weak argument. You say the only reason we won Super Bowl XLIII was because of our defense. Who do you think drafted all but two of the players in that D???

The Pats and Colts had injuries? Give me a break. Its the NFL, everyone has injuries.Maybe I say the only reason the Saints won last year is because we, the defending champs, had injuries. That work with you?

How can you blame Colbert for last seasons fall off. We had just one the Super Bowl the year prior so obviosly the talent was in place. Can't blame Colbert for the teams mental breakdowns.

kirklandrules
04-29-2010, 09:43 AM

nice job Colbert

Cody is a fat pig who will most likely weigh 500 lbs and fight for the Biggest Loser title next year. Aside from the Steelers, 30 other teams went right past this slob more than once. I think the Rats bought a lemon ... pie with extra whipped cream, chocolate sauce, sprinkles, a pound of peanut butter, 3 cups of sugar, one jar of lard and bacon grease. This slob of a man won't play more than 20 downs per game and will be choking on his own fat in the 4th quarter. :sign02:

Indo
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Thats a weak argument. You say the only reason we won Super Bowl XLIII was because of our defense. Who do you think drafted all but two of the players in that D???

The Pats and Colts had injuries? Give me a break. Its the NFL, everyone has injuries.Maybe I say the only reason the Saints won last year is because we, the defending champs, had injuries. That work with you?

How can you blame Colbert for last seasons fall off. We had just one the Super Bowl the year prior so obviosly the talent was in place. Can't blame Colbert for the teams mental breakdowns.

:iagree:

X-Terminator
04-29-2010, 09:56 AM
*sighs*

Every year, people bitch, whine and cry about the draft. And every year, the Steelers put a winning team on the field and have won 2 titles in the past 5 years. Every team in the league would take that success in a heartbeat.

Can we all just please...PLEASE...put our faith in the FO for once?

XxKnightxX
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM

nice job Colbert

Or We can Watch Pouncey Urbik, Kemo Starks and Colon shove his big Pile of Blubber into Ray Rays face. Just because hes a beheamoth doesnt mean that can go against us. When you push a pile of blubber back into their defense it makes things so much easier for us. Im sure why we didnt draft Cody was due to his durability.

pete74
04-29-2010, 10:17 AM
My bad, I thought he ment unrestricted free agents

Steely McSmash
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
My take on the NT situation:

Casey "Big Snack" Hampton - Stil has it so there's no urgent need this year.

Chris "Hokie" Hoke - Has been good but not sure how much he could take if asked to step in full time. His last significant PT was a long while back (2004?). He could back up DE if we got a youngster to stick at NT and had room at DE.

Cordarrow "Taco" Thompson - Rookie UDFA out of VT. 6-2 301. Excells versus the run and has good lateral agility. And he aleady comes with a nickname.

Sunny Harris - rumors last year that he might get looks at NT. At 6-5 300 he's a little on the tall side.

Paxson - Career backup from PSU - Short arms, less than 300lb. Prob out of PS eligibility this year.

McClendon - Last year's UDFA - PLayed NT in preseason last year. Rumored that the team liked his ability. He's 6-4 280 though so he's built like an end.

Ziggy Hood - He's a DE but @ 6-3 300 he could probably be NT in a pinch like Kimo did for a year.

I think the FO has at least a year and maybe 2 to fool around with the UDFA guys to see if they can find a player to replace Hampton before having to get a FA or draft somebody. They appear to have taken that chance on Taco this year.

They might be able to get a deal on a RFA from a team that has drafted well at the position. NE for example drafted Ron Brace last year but just extended Wilfork. Brace could be dealt as an RFA.

steeltheone
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
But you also have to replace Farrior, Smith, keisel, and Clark.

CABurghfan
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Some 2001 mocks (I know, too early) have us taking Allen Bailey from Miami next year in the first. He's too light to play the nose, but maybe he can put on 30 lbs...... :chuckle:

JSH6487
04-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Terrence Cody or 7 OLBs, Terrence Cody or 7 OLBs, Terrence Cody or 7 OLBs...hmmmmm.

Psyychoward86
04-29-2010, 09:03 PM
overweight mulch or 2 OLB's + 1 ILB, overweight mulch or 2 OLB's + 1 ILB, overweight mulch or 2 OLB's + 1 ILB...hmmmmm.

fyp

mikeyg
04-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Terrence Cody or 7 OLBs, Terrence Cody or 7 OLBs, Terrence Cody or 7 OLBs...hmmmmm.

that wasn't the choice

i never said T Cody - there were 2 or 3 monters out there. this FO has failed to prep for fat casey's departure and we were forced to give him a BIG Contract - we should have franchised him and we should have gotten a quality NT if we plan to be play 3-4 for years to come.

and he isn't 75% of the stud he was in his prime - with he and farrior, we are WEAK up the middle.

Chidi29
04-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Hoke is no longer a servicable back. As stated, the last time he got extensive starting time was 2004 when he was in his late 20s.

And last year, he was basically taken off the defensive line and played soley on special teams until the very end of the year when Tomlin shuffled the depth charts around inn the midst of our skid.

I'm ok with us not taking a NT this year (Though I wanted to get Cody) but we do need to get one soon. We can't sit on our hands and wait until the last second. We literally just did that and I, along with many other people, were concerned with how the situation was going to play out until Hampton signed long-term.

SteelerFanInATL
05-01-2010, 07:46 AM

What you guys think ????

He must not remember when Hoke replaced Big Snack when he was out for the season.:noidea::noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2010, 12:02 PM
First of all, we dont have an immediate need at NT. Even with Hampton showing some signs of slowing down, he still remains a top 10 pure NT and most certainly would be more effective than a rookie. I believe Casey has two more years of very reliable play left in him.

That being said, I think we will see a NT drafted this next year to learn under Casey and be a part of a NT rotation.

Their are several pretty good possibilities next year.

Jerrell Powe of Mississippi (6-2 340lbs) is the top ranked NT at this time but there are some character and learning disabilities that teams will have to take a good look at. He has a reading problem that might make it harder to absorb a play book and he has a past history of disorderly conduct and lieing to the police.

Phil Taylor from Baylor is a monster at 6-4 355 but was kicked off the Penn State team for off-field issues.

My favorite for the Steelers is Kendrick Ellis of Hampton. He is 6-5 340 lbs and he had 51 tackles with 15 tackles for loss last year.

Other possibilities are:
Anthony Gray of Southern Mississippi (6-0 314 lbs)
Lawon Scott of Mississippi (6-1 322 lbs)

and a sleeper of Harold Ayodele of Emporia State who is 6-1 338 lbs.

mikeyg
05-01-2010, 12:40 PM
First of all, we dont have an immediate need at NT. Even with Hampton showing some signs of slowing down, he still remains a top 10 pure NT and most certainly would be more effective than a rookie. I believe Casey has two more years of very reliable play left in him.

That being said, I think we will see a NT drafted this next year to learn under Casey and be a part of a NT rotation.

Jerrell Powe of Mississippi (6-2 340lbs) is the top ranked NT at this time but there are some character and learning disabilities that teams will have to take a good look at. He has a reading problem that might make it harder to absorb a play book and he has a past history of disorderly conduct and lieing to the police.

Phil Taylor from Baylor is a monster at 6-4 355 but was kicked off the Penn State team for off-field issues.

My favorite for the Steelers is Kendrick Ellis of Hampton. He is 6-5 340 lbs and he had 51 tackles with 15 tackles for loss last year.

Other possibilities are:

the logic here become hilarious post after post. Casey still at top 10 ?? - of course he is - there are only about 8 or 9 teams playing the 3-4. and he is at the end of that list in this stage in his career. he rarely if ever anymore requires double teams. go and watch the gamefilm. the greats bottle up the middle - not Casey anylonger.

and our D takes (according to LeBeau and other 'sources') 2 years or so to learn. We should have drafted a NT high in the last 2 years, PERIOD. That would have kept us from overpaying a less that at his prime NT now a 3 yr extension. Our D line is old and slow (er) Keisel is old, just average. Smith keep s breaking down (i love the guy, but facts are facts. Ziggy better get at least 70% playing time this year. We did not need 42 LB's in this draft - we DID need DLINE help.

pete74
05-01-2010, 12:43 PM
the logic here become hilarious post after post. Casey still at top 10 ?? - of course he is - there are only about 8 or 9 teams playing the 3-4. and he is at the end of that list in this stage in his career. he rarely if ever anymore requires double teams. go and watch the gamefilm. the greats bottle up the middle - not Casey anylonger.

and our D takes (according to LeBeau and other 'sources') 2 years or so to learn. We should have drafted a NT high in the last 2 years, PERIOD. That would have kept us from overpaying a less that at his prime NT now a 3 yr extension. Our D line is old and slow (er) Keisel is old, just average. Smith keep s breaking down (i love the guy, but facts are facts. Ziggy better get at least 70% playing time this year. We did not need 42 LB's in this draft - we DID need DLINE help.

hampton came in his rookie year so he is either really smart or playing nose tackel the playbook isnt to thick

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2010, 01:38 PM
the logic here become hilarious post after post. Casey still at top 10 ?? - of course he is - there are only about 8 or 9 teams playing the 3-4. .

15 teams will utilize the 3-4 base defense in 2011. :doh:

The New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns, San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers will all play out of a base 3-4...

Two more (Giants and Falcons) are talking about running a hybrid 3-4 at some points in the game, even though they run out of a 4-3.

Do some research before you post...thank you.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Shhhh. LLT the last time you brought up a 3-4 D-Linemen from Hampton he climbed all the way into the second round. Maybe Ellis will remain a secret a bit longer than Kendell Langford did. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Shhhh. LLT the last time you brought up a 3-4 D-Linemen from Hampton he climbed all the way into the second round. Maybe Ellis will remain a secret a bit longer than Kendell Langford did. :chuckle:

oops....(sorry)

:couch:

MexicanSteel
05-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Other possibilities are:

:applaudit: Thanks LLT !!! GREAT scout

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2010, 03:10 PM
:applaudit: Thanks LLT !!! GREAT scout

No problem. :drink:

OneForTheToe
05-01-2010, 03:34 PM

Other possibilities are:

"You, clog up middle take on two blockers ... go back to huddle and repeat."

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2010, 04:09 PM
"You, clog up middle take on two blockers ... go back to huddle and repeat."

That would work if he didnt have to know gap discipline.... what to do if asked to move into a one-gap formation....or how to run stunt and a zone blitz routines...responsibilities during pass plays as opposed to run plays...etc

OneForTheToe
05-01-2010, 04:31 PM
That would work if he didnt have to know gap discipline.... what to do if asked to move into a one-gap formation....or how to run stunt and a zone blitz routines...responsibilities during pass plays as opposed to run plays...etc

You are correct of course .... but it is still probably one of the the easiest positions mentally to play in a Lebeau defense. It also happens to be one of the most important ....

mikeyg
05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
15 teams will utilize the 3-4 base defense in 2011. :doh:

The New England Patriots, Cleveland Browns, San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, New York Jets, Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers will all play out of a base 3-4...

Two more (Giants and Falcons) are talking about running a hybrid 3-4 at some points in the game, even though they run out of a 4-3.

Do some research before you post...thank you.

i do stand corrected, my bad. we'll see, time will tell if we have made mistakes in not finding his replacement. Do you think he is worth the $22M they just signed him to? it was a desparate move IMO. Had we made the right move in last years draft (and it does not have to be a #1 all of the time), this would be different.

a lot of moolaaaa - but time will tell

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2010, 05:29 PM
i do stand corrected, my bad. we'll see, time will tell if we have made mistakes in not finding his replacement. Do you think he is worth the $22M they just signed him to? it was a desparate move IMO. Had we made the right move in last years draft (and it does not have to be a #1 all of the time), this would be different.

a lot of moolaaaa - but time will tell

I dont know if he was worth that much money if we look at his deal alone. But In light of the fact that we entered this draft without depth at several positions....I think we had to pay Hampton so that we could draft for the future at WR...RB...OLB...ILB...O-line....and at the time of signing Hampton...we also needed a CB.

Of all the players that we could have let go...I think the FO was wise in retaining his services over the rest.

But as you said....time will tell.

AllD
05-01-2010, 06:24 PM
He is locked up to retire as a Steeler, smart move on both sides.