PDA

View Full Version : Steelers daily digest: Free-agent fullback Demetrius Taylor in mold of Krieder

mesaSteeler
04-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Steelers daily digest: Free-agent fullback Demetrius Taylor in mold of Krieder
April 28, 6:54 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d28-Steelers-daily-digest-Freeagent-fullback-Demetrius-Taylor-in-mold-of-Krieder

PITTSBURGH - Remember Dan Kreider? He was the last true blocking fullback the Steelers had.

What made him so good at what he did, was the fact he had a blue collar work ethic and also was a high school linebacker, who played the game that way and wasn't afraid to lay down a punishing hit.

The Steelers may have found another guy in the mold of Kreider when they signed Virginia Tech's Demetrius Taylor to a free-agent contract. And while he is listed at 270 pounds, don't let the weight fool you.

This guy is a football player who has excelled at multiple positions during his career at Virginia Tech. He was recruited as a linebacker and began his career as a MIke linebacker. His junior year, Taylor was a defensive tackle, who moved over from the defensive end slot.

If there is one thing that stands out about Taylor, it's the fact he is strong. Just how strong? Taylor ranks first or second on the team in the power clean (360 pounds), push jerk (400), bench press (430) and back squat (600).

“What separates him on the field is his knowledge of the game and his discipline," his high school coach told reporters no long after he signed his letter of intent. " We need him to do a lot of stuff out there, and he has the discipline to stay within our system. His stats won’t amaze you, but he’s playing very effective within our defensive scheme. He does what he’s supposed to do.”

As of now, the Steelers have one fullback on its roster, Frank Summers, but he is also listed as a running back. Taylor will wear No. 38 for the Steelers.

XxKnightxX
04-28-2010, 09:29 PM
If this guy cant become our True FB under Arians, then this guy can do damage on the field when it comes to STs. The guy is versatile and very athletic so its worth keeping a good eye on him.

Merchant
04-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Goal Line Drill... Demetrius Taylor + Jonathan Dwyer

love it!

Psyychoward86
04-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Goal Line Drill... Demetrius Taylor + Jonathan Dwyer

love it!

one hell of a battering ram i hope :chuckle:

Steelerfreak58
04-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I would love to see us utilize the FB more but Arians doesn't seem to like it much.

7willBheaven
04-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I would love to see us utilize the FB more but Arians doesn't seem to like it much.

Well with the boss man coming out and saying hey we need to run more/etc. I think Arians (for the sake of his job) is going to listen...

Steelerfreak58
04-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Well with the boss man coming out and saying hey we need to run more/etc. I think Arians (for the sake of his job) is going to listen...

I hope so. You can't have smash mouth football in my estimation without a bruiser of a FB leading the way for the RB's. POUND THE BALL ON 3rd and 1!

Galax Steeler
04-29-2010, 03:37 AM
It would help our running game a out a bunch if we could get back to the full back days. We seemed to struggle on those 3rd and ones and short and goal situations and one of those reasons is we didn't utilize the full back.

kirklandrules
04-29-2010, 08:45 AM
I hope so. You can't have smash mouth football in my estimation without a bruiser of a FB leading the way for the RB's. POUND THE BALL ON 3rd and 1!

Hell, pound the ball on 2nd and 1! Or even 1st and goal from inside the 10. I'm not opposed to going with 3, 4 or even 5 wide. But we got so far away from being able to set up in a strong formation and pound it for 1 or 2 yards that it hurt us. BA just didn't see how our record suffered during the Tommy Gun days ... great passing attack and poor running = average win/loss record. I'm a fan of a balanced approach. The opposing defense needs to be concerned with our run and passing games equally. No one has feared our running game in 3 years. Well they can start to fear DT!

If Tomlin can go from being a 4-3 defensive minded coach to selling out for the 3-4, then BA can learn to appreciate the FB when we convert on run plays.

Men of Steel
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
im having visions of POUNCEY PULLING AND KNOCKING OUT A LINEBACKER AND A TRUE BRUISING FULLBACK TAYLOR KNOCKING OUT ANY ONE IN HIS PATH AND CLEARING THE WAY FOR MENDENHALL AND DWYER.

this me likey allot.

:tt02:

SteelGhost
04-29-2010, 09:40 AM
If this guys (Taylor and Dwyer) show promise in training camp/pre-season maybe Summers and Isaac "glide and suddeness" Redman :chuckle: get the boot, but who knows :noidea:

kirklandrules
04-29-2010, 09:48 AM
If this guys (Taylor and Dwyer) show promise in training camp/pre-season maybe Summers and Isaac "glide and suddeness" Redman :chuckle: get the boot, but who knows :noidea:

Redman might spend another year on the practice squad. There's room for Summers because FWP is gone and we got rid of Davis. However, there are a few guys listed as TEs that lined up as an H-Back who might be looking for work.

steelerdave1969
04-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I think what Mr Rooney really wants is for the Steelersto Run the Ball More Effectively and that doesnt mean more to me. That just means that we need to get the job done where we havent the last few years.

Steely McSmash
04-29-2010, 11:12 AM

:tt03:Looking forward to the competition! :tt03:

In theory Summers might be more versatile with his receiving skills, but I really love the idea of us having the biggest FB in the league.

Redman vs Dywer should be a good matchup as well. With a year of NFL conditioning Redman's suddenness should be off the chart.

SteelGhost
04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Redman might spend another year on the practice squad. There's room for Summers because FWP is gone and we got rid of Davis. However, there are a few guys listed as TEs that lined up as an H-Back who might be looking for work.

Maybe, but if I remember correctly Redman was cut once and resigned later. Thank God they finally got rid of Davis :chuckle: I expect some great competition in training camp :tt:

SteelGhost
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
:tt03:Looking forward to the competition! :tt03:

In theory Summers might be more versatile with his receiving skills, but I really love the idea of us having the biggest FB in the league.

Redman vs Dywer should be a good matchup as well. With a year of NFL conditioning Redman's suddenness should be off the chart.

But what if he has lost "the glide" ? :rofl:

wootawnee
04-29-2010, 05:12 PM
What did Arians ever do before 08?.......Ben drove them down the field the last drive,not B.A.......

OneForTheToe
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM

Simple solution.

Tomlin: "Bruce did you see the new TE we drafted for you? He will wear 38, but he will be our 4th TE."

Bruce: " That's great, you can never have too many TEs."

Rick5895
04-30-2010, 05:40 AM
Here is my prediction for the opening of the season at RB:

FB: Taylor
RB's: Mendy Dwyer Moore Logan (he was a running back in the CFL and reminds me of Sproles)
H-Back Johnson

truesteelerfan
04-30-2010, 09:27 AM
This is the first I've heard of this Taylor guy....but he's big and strong.....and a Steeler running back....I already like him better than Ariens!

Kingmagyar
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM
I think if Emanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown or even Randal El show even a hint of promise as a returner Stefan Logan is long gone. Not sure of Logan's speed but I was hoping he could be a speed back for us, but Mendenhall is actualy pretty fast. Logan was also a severe liability covering kicks last year.

Time will tell but one thing for sure, this is going to be one hell of a training camp. The Steeler's are stacked with competition for a small amount of jobs. Ten draft picks, free agent signings, and a bunch of undrafted free agents. Wow, can't wait for camp and the exhibition games.

MexicanSteel
04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
I just want a smash-mouth-football team...

where can I see Taylor´s tape ???

Chidi29
04-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Don't blame Arians for the fullback "problem". When was he ever given a Krieder type of back? John Kuhn wasn't that guy and still isn't. Neither was Billy Latsko.

Besides, David Johnson saw a good amount of time at fullback the latter half of the season.