PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Kordell Stewart.

Ness
04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm having a debate about Kordell Stewart with someone else on another forum. Just to let you all know, we're both not Steelers fans. But yes, if any number of you could elaborate on whether he was a good quarterback for you that just wasn't coached up to par, and definitely had potential, or if he just failed to live up to expectations even when given a good amount of help...well I'd greatly appreciate your insight. Thanks.

Godfather
04-29-2010, 11:12 AM
He was the girl with the curl...when he was good, he was very good and when he was bad he was horrid.

Other downside is he choked in key situations, like throwing two picks in the last five minutes of the AFCCG against the Patriots*.

steelerdude15
04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Hello and welcome to the board, hopefully you stay and post here as well. :wave: I liked Kordell for the most part and he was pretty good in his prime. He just could never get to the big dance and he could struggle at times. I never did like Tommy though.... and Big Ben is awesome... :thumbsup:

SCSTILLER
04-29-2010, 11:24 AM
He was the girl with the curl...when he was good, he was very good and when he was bad he was horrid.

Other downside is he choked in key situations, like throwing two picks in the last five minutes of the AFCCG against the Patriots*.

This explains Kordell perfectly. He was way too streaky and he would choke on his own breath in a pressure situation. If he would have accepted the Slash role he had as a rookie, he would probably be remembered as a better player.

pepsyman1
04-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Kordell tried way too hard to prove that he could be a "pocket QB" because of the criticism that other young african american quarterbacks were taking because they were all "running QB's". I don't think he (or the coaching staff) let him develop naturally using the gifts that he had and he tried to impersonate a style that wasn't natural as opposed to developing a reasonable balance on his own. As one of the other posters wrote....when he was good he was very good, when he was bad he was horrific. LOL

Had very big potential. The fact that he made no impact anywhere else after he left tells you it was unrealized potential.

BlastFurnace
04-29-2010, 11:31 AM
I have long held the opinion that Kordell was a below average NFL quarterback. It is true that he had multiple OC's to deal with (Gailey, Sherman, Gilbride, Mularkey), but the OC doesn't cause balls to be thrown into the dirt and terrible INT's.

Kordell was great in 1997, but that was it. The NFL cought up to what he could and could not do in 1998 and it showed in the results on the field. 1999 was more of the same...and for a time during that season, he lost his job to Mike Tomczak. He was ok in 2000 and 2001, but the same limitations in his game were clearly there. After that endzone INT against Cleveland in the 3rd game of the season in 2002, Cowher seemed to have enough of him as well and he was replaced for good by Tommy Maddox.

Kordell's best role as as Slash with the Steelers.

revefsreleets
04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Kordell was marginal NFL QB talent who was able to overcome the fact that he couldn't read a defense to save his life with a strong arm and great athleticism. It helped a lot that the Steelers were a Super Bowl winning caliber team around him that ran the ball well and played great defense. Notice that I said they were a SB winning caliber team...yet they won no Super Bowls with him at QB.

The term "Kordoza line" (A play on the original "Mendoza line", a baseball term which signifies the minimally acceptable mark) was coined due to his career QBR of 70.

BlastFurnace
04-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Kordell was marginal NFL QB talent who was able to overcome the fact that he couldn't read a defense to save his life with a strong arm and great athleticism. It helped a lot that the Steelers were a Super Bowl winning caliber team around him that ran the ball well and played great defense. Notice that I said they were a SB winning caliber team...yet they won no Super Bowls with him at QB.

The term "Kordoza line" (A play on the original "Mendoza line", a baseball term which signifies the minimally acceptable mark) was coined due to his career QBR of 70.

I used to hear him referred to as the "Western Union Man" since he used to telegraph all his passes.

Steeldude
04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
KS sucked as a QB from day 1. this was the single most moronic blunder the steelers organization has ever done. to place a WR at the QB spot for 5+ seasons.

KS had the benefit of good coaches, players, defense and running game, but they could not overcome his poor passing skills and his inability to read defense or handle a playbook with more than two plays in it.

IMO, if the steelers had a QB with at least average passing skills, they would have made it to 2 more SBs

SteelGhost
04-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the forum Ness :thumbsup:

IMHO KS was a good "slash" player, never a consistent QB. I respect the FO decisions, but I think they had excessive patience with KS.

fansince'76
04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Great athlete, lousy QB.

Steelers>NFL
04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Cries on the side line :crying01:
because Coach Cowher took him out of the game :noidea:
against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Other than that, he was ok. Not great. Not bad.
He played for 3 or 4 different OC in his years in Pittsburgh.
I am sure that did not help his development as a NFL QB.

SteelKid212
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
a jack of all trades... but a master of none.:doh:

:noidea:

GodfatherofSoul
04-29-2010, 12:19 PM
I think he had the potential to be an OK QB and probably even a good QB for the Steelers, but the guy was a headcase. He was what Madden called a "practice guy." A guy who could look good during the week, but choke on game day. Lots of players commented on the talent he showed in practice.

The no-pressure games were some of his best, like when Tomczak struggled and he had to come back in against the Raiders (?) in 2000 (?). Or, when he was benched for good and had to come in for Maddox after an injury (he set the Steelers record for passing accuracy in a game).

But, this is the NFL and "potential" doesn't mean jack squat. Every player in the league had "potential."

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
If Kordell wasn't a great athlete, I don't think he ever would have been a starter in the NFL. But being a great athlete doesn't make you a great, or even good, quarterback. You have to be able to throw the ball, and that's something Kordell just couldn't do consistently. At the time, it seemed like 90 percent of our passing offense was screen passes and dump passes. They hardly ever let Kordell throw the ball down field ... and there was a reason for that.

California-Steel
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Simple - He was Michael Vick before Michael Vick, but was not allowed to be Michael Vick.

LVSteelersfan
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Simple - He was Michael Vick before Michael Vick, but was not allowed to be Michael Vick.

You beat me to it. Almost exactly what I was going to say. I used to pray for defensive TDs because Kordell would take good field position and push you backwards better than any QB I have ever seen (except for maybe Tommy Maddox). He never should have been allowed to be a QB. Everyone agrees he would have made a great WR because he had good ball skills. But who knows if he would have been smart enough to know how to run routes. We will never know. He caused more heartache than celebration.

steelerjim58
04-29-2010, 01:33 PM

For me this says it all. Kordell stopped running the ball. I don't know how much of it was because of being told to or what. Combine that with the revolving door at o.c. and IMO he didn't have a chance. I know I am in the minority here but I believe he would have been a very good qb under the right circumstances.

VTsteel
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
I liked Kordell.

No, he didn't win the big one . . . But he was a pretty big part of reaching all those championship games. Kordell had that 5 TD game against the Ravens and that was pretty impressive. Kordell could change the complexion of the game really easily (sometimes for the worse) - But (IMO) it was mostly for the good.

Kordell was (again IMO) the 3rd best QB we've had in the past 30 yrs.

Part of the problem is seriously how critical Steelers fans can be (in general). If Kordell had brought the Browns, Lions, Buc's, Saints etc . . . to some Championship games he would be still revered today - But, because he played for the Steelers . . . Good enough just wasn't good enough.

Ness
04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the insight and warm welcome.

Dino 6 Rings
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
My opinion.

Kordell, as well as all the things mentioned above, was a head case. He had a long memory. So when he made a mistake early in a game, it stayed with him all game long. If he threw a pick in the 1st, you could almost count on 1 more during a key spot in the game, and maybe even a fumble. If he let up a scramble sack, you could count on more losses of yards due to sacks. He never was able to throw a pick, forget about it and move on to the next play. He was given every oportunity in Pittsburgh to be "the best" he could be. Turns out, he wasn't good enough. Even after he left the Steelers, he couldn't find the field for any other team for a entire season. That right there shows, when he left a Great Team, and went to a bad team, he was not that good.

The team carried him more than anything else.

xbroughneck
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
His downfall started the year after they released that nationally televised commercial where he was jogging through some suburb...and if I remember correctly he threw a football into one of the houses he was passing by???

Anyway, he short hopped his passed too often, would kill us in two AFCC games...and should never have been more than SLASH.

They use to use the fact that he went through a lot of offensive coordinators as an excuse for why he performed so poorly.

Nope. He was just a bad NFL QB. Worse than Neil O'Donnell and Bubby Brister, but better than Mike Tomzak. I don't think I ever saw him complete a deep pass with the wide receiver not having to break stride.
:coffee:

Bad memories.

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Part of the problem is seriously how critical Steelers fans can be (in general). If Kordell had brought the Browns, Lions, Buc's, Saints etc . . . to some Championship games he would be still revered today - But, because he played for the Steelers . . . Good enough just wasn't good enough.

When your competition is Cliff Stoudt, Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, and Todd Blackledge, finishing third isn't difficult. :)

Seriously though, I agree that good enough isn't good enough in Pittsburgh. Our standards are very high. We expect to win the Super Bowl, not just make the playoffs. And sometimes we can be too critical when they fail. Obviously, they're not going to win it every year.

Edman
04-29-2010, 02:11 PM
The first year I became a Steeler fan was the 1998 season. Right in the middle of the collapse of the 90's teams and right where Kordell started to turn sour.

Magnificent Athlete, but didn't have the brains or mental fortitude that is expected of an NFL QB. He not only blew in Championship games, he blew in the playoffs in general. Kordell's biggest problem was that he stubbornly tried to be what he was not: an NFL-caliber QB.

Kordell had everything a young QB could dream of. A running game, an O-Line, and a Defense. He didn't get much better than marginal. He had his moments of brilliance, but he turned out to be mediocre at best.

SteelMember
04-29-2010, 02:31 PM
In retrospect, I agree with most that basicaly say he never lived up to being a starting QB. Sure, he was pretty good when he came in as "slash", but he wanted that bigger role playing under center.

He definately ran hot and cold, but at the time with the likes of Mike Tomczak and a handful of never-were's like Jim Miller, Mike Quinn, Pete Gonzalez, Anthony Wright and Tee Martin, I think we were all looking to get anything resembling a better QB... so the experiment began.

MDSteel15
04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
For me this says it all. Kordell stopped running the ball. I don't know how much of it was because of being told to or what. Combine that with the revolving door at o.c. and IMO he didn't have a chance. I know I am in the minority here but I believe he would have been a very good qb under the right circumstances.

Couldn't have put it any other way! :thumbsup:

TheWarDen86
04-29-2010, 02:42 PM
My understanding is that he thought he knew it all one year: sucked, then studied/practiced the next off season and had a good year until his ego got the best of him again. Then he'd start the cycle over.

To be honest, I thought he would eventually evolve and he WAS exciting to watch sometimes. In the end though, he should have been one of the better WR's in the league instead.

AllD
04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Unconventional. He would have had a better career playing first string SLASH and second or thrid QB. Too raw without enough football IQ or strength. He was quick and slippery, but not refined enough to be a legitimate NFL QB.

BB gets by on his unique improvisational style in contrast to KS because he is more gifted at that position. You don't see BB trying to be a WR or halfback.

JSH6487
04-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Kordell Stewart was absolutely AWFUL and Dennis Dixon probably couldn't lace up his boots...which is why it baffles me that some morons on here think Dixon could and should be a starter. Actually I take that back...nothing really baffles me about Steeler fans anymore.

ricardisimo
04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Kordell was a lot of fun to watch, and if you had him on your fantasy team for a few of his years, you cleaned up. Was he a great QB? No. Far from it. However, in the post-Bradshaw, pre-Ben Era, what truly fun memories did we have? There was Louis Lipps, Barry Foster, SBXXX... and what else? There were knickknacks here and there, and some great defenses, but most of it was just frustration.

As far as Kordell being the most moronic FO blunder, I dare say that despite everything, he had more wins and better numbers than Mark Malone, who held the job even longer for some bizarre reason.

TheWarDen86
04-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Kordell Stewart was absolutely AWFUL and Dennis Dixon probably couldn't lace up his boots...which is why it baffles me that some morons on here think Dixon could and should be a starter. Actually I take that back...nothing really baffles me about Steeler fans anymore.

What exactly is your problem? Got sand in the old hoo-haa?

TheWarDen86
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Kordell was a lot of fun to watch, and if you had him on your fantasy team for a few of his years, you cleaned up. Was he a great QB? No. Far from it. However, in the post-Bradshaw, pre-Ben Era, what truly fun memories did we have? There was Louis Lipps, Barry Foster, SBXXX... and what else? There were knickknacks here and there, and some great defenses, but most of it was just frustration.

As far as Kordell being the most moronic FO blunder, I dare say that despite everything, he had more wins and better numbers than Mark Malone, who held the job even longer for some bizarre reason.

Oh come one. That's like saying we've only had 6 good seasons in our history, and I know you don't believe that. We're the most fortunate football fans in the U.S. I loved some of those Kordell led teams. And I most certainly loved some of those defenses.

StainlessStill
04-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Lets get real here. Kordell Stewart was HARDLY the reason for the Steelers going up in smoke in that '01 Championship game. Kordell led a outstanding drive late in the 3rd to close the gap within 7, making the game 24-17. Special teams blew 2 HORRID touchdowns, one on a blocked FG. That's 14 swing points. I give Kordell the benefit of the doubt, N.E was preying on the Pittsburgh O at that point of attack.

Kordell Stewart was actually one of my favorite players. He was a tremendous athlete, beyond that, and had to endure many BAD seasons under the '98, and '99 regime of rebuilding years, and that includes horrendous O-coordinators, QB coaches and instability at the QB position.

In a nutshell, someone hit it on the head. When he was good, he was very, VERY good. When he was bad he was horrid, but there was alot more to Kordell's failures than what meets the eye.

TheWarDen86
04-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Lets get real here. Kordell Stewart was HARDLY the reason for the Steelers going up in smoke in that '01 Championship game. Kordell led a outstanding drive earlier in the 4th to close the gap within 7, making the game 24-17. Special teams blew 2 HORRID touchdowns, one on a blocked FG. That's 14 swing points. I give Kordell the benefit of the doubt, N.E was praying on the Pittsburgh O at that point of attack.

Kordell Stewart was actually one of my favorite players. He was a tremendous athlete, beyond that, and had to endure many BAD seasons under the '98, and '99 regime of rebuilding years, and that includes horrendous O-coordinators, QB coaches and instability at the QB position.

In a nutshell, someone hit it on the head. When he was good, he was very, VERY good. When he was bad he was horrid, but there was alot more to Kordell's failures than what meets the eye.

I agree; Special Teams cost us that game if anyone did.

vasteeler
04-29-2010, 06:20 PM
if korki had stayed slash he would have made a lot better name for himself in pittsburgh. He could have been the real deal.

the worst memory i have of kordell was when bill romanowski(sp) gave him the ole:doh:

TheWarDen86
04-29-2010, 06:29 PM
if korki had stayed slash he would have made a lot better name for himself in pittsburgh. He could have been the real deal.

the worst memory i have of kordell was when bill romanowski(sp) gave him the ole:doh:

Romanowski was such jack hole. He did that every week to someone.

One of my fondest memories was that ....92 yard TD pass?....to Bobby Shaw in B-More. The pass was only about 10-15 yards from what I recall, but it was a great YAC play.

Too bad the wild cat didn't come 10 years sooner. Kordell would be all set.

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Whoa ... I've heard people compare Dixon to Kordell Stewart before, and the only comparison I can see is that they're both African American. Kordell was a great athlete who couldn't throw the ball. Dixon is a good athlete who CAN throw the ball. I'm not ready to put Dixon in the Hall of Fame, but what have you seen that I haven't that makes you think Dixon is horrible? He was great in college and did admirable in his one and only NFL start ...

SteelCurtain0815
04-29-2010, 08:12 PM
I loved Kordell. In around 1997 is when I started to love the Steelers, so you can understand why. I would have been 8 years old. I didn't know much about football, but I was sad to see Kordell struggle. I was also sad to see him go. When he left, I really wanted him to succeed wherever he went and prove a lot of people wrong, but that didn't happen. Kordell will always be one of my favorite Steelers players.

HometownGal
04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Kordodo wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box, a burger shy of a Happy Meal and a bit of a whiner, but there were times that he shined like a star and other times he sucked out TRS. We've had better QB's than him and worse QB's than him so I rank him pretty much smack dab in the middle of the Steelers QB pack.

HometownGal
04-29-2010, 08:18 PM
which is why it baffles me that some morons on here think Dixon could and should be a starter. Actually I take that back...nothing really baffles me about Steeler fans anymore.

Me thinks you'd better cease with describing those who dare to disagree with you as "morons". :buttkick:

BlastFurnace
04-29-2010, 08:26 PM
He had one of the best games I have seen a guy have...the 5 TD game against the Ravens...but some of the worst as well.

All I know is that when Maddox took over for him in the Cleveland game in 2002, for once, I felt we had a chance to actually pass the ball.

JSH6487
04-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Whoa ... I've heard people compare Dixon to Kordell Stewart before, and the only comparison I can see is that they're both African American. Kordell was a great athlete who couldn't throw the ball. Dixon is a good athlete who CAN throw the ball. I'm not ready to put Dixon in the Hall of Fame, but what have you seen that I haven't that makes you think Dixon is horrible? He was great in college and did admirable in his one and only NFL start ...

Kordell was great in college too...just like every other scrambling run first throw second QB. The college game is so different, especially for a QB, that any college stat you throw out is pretty much useless. Any of them EVER been good in the NFL? Maybe at WR, which is the position Dixon should of switched too if he wants to have any kind of decent career in the NFL. Randel El was smart about it and ended up with a huge pay day at WR rather than be a career backup at QB. It is a pocket passer's league. I've watched Dixon enough to know he'll never be a legitimate pocket passer.

Dixon, Pat White, Troy Smith, Drew Stanton, etc. will all be out of the league before the age of 28 or 29. Has nothing to do with race, but the style of QB play. Local boy Mike McMahon's career is a prime example of what Dixon and the others mentioned careers will be. I'd be willing to bet my Steelers season tickets that Dixon is NEVER a full time starter in the league.

Steely McSmash
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Great points above -- my take is that overall he was average in skill and below average in mental makeup. The OC revolving door didn't help either.

What Kordell was best for ultimately was training our receivers to adjust to a ball thrown anywhere in a 15 ft diameter of where it was supposed to be. He'd underthrow the receiver and the guy would practically break his ankles to scape the ball out of the dirt. Announcer would say "oh did you see how he put it where only his guy could get it" yeah right!

When Maddox came in, the receivers where probably having bad dreams about balls everywhere except where they were supposed to be and things just clicked.

When Kordell was playing and he wound up to wing a long one there was a horrible gut wrenching sensation as you had no idea where that ball was going. Didn't really fade until SB XL.

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Kordell was great in college too...just like every other scrambling run first throw second QB. The college game is so different, especially for a QB, that any college stat you throw out is pretty much useless. Any of them EVER been good in the NFL? Maybe at WR, which is the position Dixon should of switched too if he wants to have any kind of decent career in the NFL. Randel El was smart about it and ended up with a huge pay day at WR rather than be a career backup at QB. It is a pocket passer's league. I've watched Dixon enough to know he'll never be a legitimate pocket passer.

Dixon, Pat White, Troy Smith, Drew Stanton, etc. will all be out of the league before the age of 28 or 29. Has nothing to do with race, but the style of QB play. Local boy Mike McMahon's career is a prime example of what Dixon and the others mentioned careers will be. I'd be willing to bet my Steelers season tickets that Dixon is NEVER a full time starter in the league.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Kordell was great in college. Take away his hail mary pass to Michael Westbrook and what did he do? Dixon was a Heisman hopeful until he got injured. And if he didn't get injured, he probably would have went much higher in the draft.

I agree with you that college stats are useless ... if they weren't, then everyone drafted in the first 2 rounds would be a sure-fire hit. But you have to base potential on something. And all we have to base Dixon's potential on is his college career and one game in the NFL. And based on that, I think he can be a good quarterback.

Like I alluded to earlier, I really don't know if Dixon can be an NFL starter, but I think he has the skills and ability to become one. What I do know is that I'm not going to put him in the same category as Kordell, Pat White, Randel El, and Troy Smith simply because he's an African American quarterback. If I had the time and/or the ambition, I could give you an endless list of white pocket-passing quarterbacks who failed miserably in the NFL.

It seems to me that you're critical of Dixon simply because he's African American. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Steeldude
04-29-2010, 09:25 PM
As far as Kordell being the most moronic FO blunder, I dare say that despite everything, he had more wins and better numbers than Mark Malone, who held the job even longer for some bizarre reason

did malone have a #1 running attack and defense during those years? the skill/talent level on the steelers during the 80's was horrendous.

the blunder the steelers made in the 80's was not drafting marino.

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
did malone have a #1 running attack and defense during those years? the skill/talent level on the steelers during the 80's was horrendous.

Amen!!! The Steelers won a lot of games in spite of Kordell, not because of him. I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but in the early 90s, wasn't Marino a free agent and wanted to come back to Pittsburgh? I think I remember Chuck Knoll saying something along the line of: We already have a quarterback .... who was Bubby Brister.

JSH6487
04-29-2010, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say Kordell was great in college. Take away his hail mary pass to Michael Westbrook and what did he do? Dixon was a Heisman hopeful until he got injured. And if he didn't get injured, he probably would have went much higher in the draft.

I agree with you that college stats are useless ... if they weren't, then everyone drafted in the first 2 rounds would be a sure-fire hit. But you have to base potential on something. And all we have to base Dixon's potential on is his college career and one game in the NFL. And based on that, I think he can be a good quarterback.

Like I alluded to earlier, I really don't know if Dixon can be an NFL starter, but I think he has the skills and ability to become one. What I do know is that I'm not going to put him in the same category as Kordell, Pat White, Randel El, and Troy Smith simply because he's an African American quarterback. If I had the time and/or the ambition, I could give you an endless list of white pocket-passing quarterbacks who failed miserably in the NFL.

It seems to me that you're critical of Dixon simply because he's African American. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Come on now...of course there's an endless list of white pocket passing quarterbacks who suck the big one...there's a gigantic sample of them. Obviously of course you have to be a GOOD pocket passer to play in the NFL though lol...just being white and not a scrambler isn't going to get it done.

Again, has nothing to do with race and all about the style of play...Mcnabb is a successful pocket passer, Culpepper was at a time, Leftwich is pretty good IMO. You just don't see too many african americans focus their youth and HS careers around being a pocket passer. Most of them are athletes running all over the place. You can cry racism all you want, but it's the truth.

And there are plenty of white examples of players just like Dixon too. Mike McMahon, Drew Stanton, and hell not being a pure pocket passer is the reason Tim Tebow is getting all of the criticism right now. It is just too hard to translate that type of game into the NFL.

And as far as putting Dixon into a category with Pat White and Troy Smith...why not? I don't get what anyone has seen from Dixon not to. Pat White and Troy Smith were much better college QB's, and still probably are in the NFL...but neither one of them will ever sniff being an NFL starter. And please don't use the Heisman arguement...Troy Smith himself is a prime example that it means absolutely nothing. And I guess you don't remember but Kordell was pretty damn good in college probably a lot better than Dixon was. Kordell set all kind of records at Colorado.

tony hipchest
04-29-2010, 09:52 PM
other than the 2 afc champ game losses i have kept the good memories and forgotten the bad. kordell brought a level of excitement and interest the team hadnt seen in years.

he had some great plays.

end around redzone scramble (mnf?) td toss to defeat the browns. (i think it was his first td pass).

td reception vs the bills in playoffs (with that play i had "the feeling..."

30 yd bootleg vs sb champ broncos in '97.

doing again vs the pats the following week.

80 run up the gut vs the panthers.

80 yd run vs ravens.

coming back from injury after halftime to lead the steelers past the raiders (w/ a gutsy td run).

he was definitely mike vick before mike vick. (although we never saw vick at wr).

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Come on now...of course there's an endless list of white pocket passing quarterbacks who suck the big one...there's a gigantic sample of them. Obviously of course you have to be a GOOD pocket passer to play in the NFL though lol...just being white and not a scrambler isn't going to get it done.

Again, has nothing to do with race and all about the style of play...Mcnabb is a successful pocket passer, Culpepper was at a time, Leftwich is pretty good IMO. You just don't see too many african americans focus their youth and HS careers around being a pocket passer. Most of them are athletes running all over the place. You can cry racism all you want, but it's the truth.

And there are plenty of white examples of players just like Dixon too. Mike McMahon, Drew Stanton, and hell not being a pure pocket passer is the reason Tim Tebow is getting all of the criticism right now. It is just too hard to translate that type of game into the NFL.

And as far as putting Dixon into a category with Pat White and Troy Smith...why not? I don't get what anyone has seen from Dixon not to. Pat White and Troy Smith were much better college QB's, and still probably are in the NFL...but neither one of them will ever sniff being an NFL starter. And please don't use the Heisman arguement...Troy Smith himself is a prime example that it means absolutely nothing. And I guess you don't remember but Kordell was pretty damn good in college probably a lot better than Dixon was. Kordell set all kind of records at Colorado.

Kordell set all kinds of records at Colorado? Didn't you say that college stats don't matter? Yeah, you're right, Troy Smith won the Heisman, but what has he done in the NFL? Dixon played one game ... against the Ravens ... in prime time ... in a must-win game ... with little preparation ... and performed really well.

Actually, I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying you're wrong. My point is that you're critical of Dixon and I'm curious as to why. Everything I've seen of him, I think he can do well in the NFL. Other than comparing him to Pat White and Troy Smith, why do you think he wouldn't do well?

MasterOfPuppets
04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
KS sucked as a QB from day 1. this was the single most moronic blunder the steelers organization has ever done. to place a WR at the QB spot for 5+ seasons.

KS had the benefit of good coaches, players, defense and running game, but they could not overcome his poor passing skills and his inability to read defense or handle a playbook with more than two plays in it.

IMO, if the steelers had a QB with at least average passing skills, they would have made it to 2 more SBs
my thoughts almost to a tee ... even when he won and made the probowl i still hated him as the qb...:mad:

BlastFurnace
04-29-2010, 10:00 PM

You could have given Malone the 1985 Bears surrounding cast and he still would have stunk. That guy stunk. He's the worst QB we have had since I became a fan in 1975.

MasterOfPuppets
04-29-2010, 10:10 PM
You could have given Malone the 1985 Bears surrounding cast and he still would have stunk. That guy stunk. He's the worst QB we have had since I became a fan in 1975.
there could be a strong arguement for kent grahm...:noidea:

Stu Pidasso
04-29-2010, 10:11 PM
My opinion of Cornhole Stewart?

profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter profanityfilter.

Hope that helps.

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 10:12 PM
there could be a strong arguement for kent grahm...:noidea:

I completely blacked out the Kent Grahm era ... thanks for reminding me :)

JSH6487
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Kordell set all kinds of records at Colorado? Didn't you say that college stats don't matter? Yeah, you're right, Troy Smith won the Heisman, but what has he done in the NFL? Dixon played one game ... against the Ravens ... in prime time ... in a must-win game ... with little preparation ... and performed really well.

Actually, I get what you're saying, and I'm not saying you're wrong. My point is that you're critical of Dixon and I'm curious as to why. Everything I've seen of him, I think he can do well in the NFL. Other than comparing him to Pat White and Troy Smith, why do you think he wouldn't do well?

College stats don't matter as far as translating into the NFL. You said Kordell wasn't that great in college, and I was just pointing out that he actually was and was a hell of a lot better than Dixon as well. Stats mean a lot when talking about being great COLLEGE QBs.

Troy Smith has done absolutely nothing in the NFL and neither will Dixon. The history of that type of QB strongly supports my side rather than yours. Name me a successful scrambling QB that wasn't all that good in the pocket but still succeeded in the NFL. The list will be very very short, if you could even name one at all. I'll give you Cunningham, although his career completion % is in the mid 50's and he never really won anything.

And not that I'm basing my opinion on Dixon on the one Baltimore game at all...but did we watch the same game? He hit a wide open guy on totally blown coverage for his passing TD, and scored easily on a designed bootleg on the other. Other than that he was all over the place as far as accuracy.

ricardisimo
04-29-2010, 10:20 PM

He was the starting QB from 1984 through 1987, and we were somewhat of a mixed bag during those years...
1984: 5th overall D / 6th overall Rushing O
1985: 6th overall D / mediocre offense all around
1986: suck-ass D / 7th Rushing O
1987: suck-ass D / 5th Rushing O

He had some help on one side or the other the whole way through, but couldn't do anything with it.

Amen to the Marino screw-up. Gabe Rivera or Dan Marino? Who would you pick? :doh:

Wallace108
04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
The history of that type of QB strongly supports my side rather than yours.

You bring up good points, but this is what I'm having trouble with: What are you defining as "that type of QB"? If you're talking about athletic quarterbacks who really can't throw (Michael Vick, Troy Smith, Pat White, Kordell Stewart, etc.) then yeah, I agree with you. But what about athletic quarterbacks that CAN throw (Fran Tarkenton, John Elway, Steve McNair)? What I'm asking is why are you so quick to put Dixon in the Michael Vick category rather than the John Elway category?

JSH6487
04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
You bring up good points, but this is what I'm having trouble with: What are you defining as "that type of QB"? If you're talking about athletic quarterbacks who really can't throw (Michael Vick, Troy Smith, Pat White, Kordell Stewart, etc.) then yeah, I agree with you. But what about athletic quarterbacks that CAN throw (Fran Tarkenton, John Elway, Steve McNair)? What I'm asking is why are you so quick to put Dixon in the Michael Vick category rather than the John Elway category?

Substitute Steve Young in for Mcnair, because Mcnair really doesn't belong in the same sentence as John Elway. And I do put Dixon in the Mike Vick, Troy Smith category because guys like Elway and Young are EXTREMELY rare. Not too often will you find a guy who can scramble and still pass from the pocket with the best of them. I find it very hard to believe that Dixon could even be another Steve Mcnair.

I just don't see what any of you have seen from Dixon to make you believe he could be an accurate pocket passer. It's all about people getting excited because of the kind of game he brings, just like people were excited about Kordell's game at first and how the whole league went ape shit over how "electrifying" Mike Vick was. Well guess what, you can be electrifying all you want and sell tickets, but that's not going to win you championships because the game today favors the pocket passer. The Falcons were absolutely retarded for trading away Matt Schaub and keeping Vick...they just happened to be very lucky that Vick got convicted and were able to land a guy like Matt Ryan who could take that team to a Super Bowl. They would of never had a prayer at sniffing a SB under Vick.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Like what a lot of people said, when Kordell was good he was VERY GOOD and when he was bad he made you want to turn the game off.

I honestly think if he would have accepted the slash role and focused on that, he could have possibly been a Hall of Fame player. But someone put it in his head that he was a starting quarterback, and he went with that.

Wallace108
04-30-2010, 02:15 AM
The Falcons were absolutely retarded for trading away Matt Schaub and keeping Vick...they just happened to be very lucky that Vick got convicted and were able to land a guy like Matt Ryan who could take that team to a Super Bowl. They would of never had a prayer at sniffing a SB under Vick.

Exactly how many Super Bowls has Matt Ryan led the Falcons to?

And I do put Dixon in the Mike Vick, Troy Smith category because guys like Elway and Young are EXTREMELY rare. Not too often will you find a guy who can scramble and still pass from the pocket with the best of them.

I agree. Finding a quarterback like Elway or Young who can scramble and pass is extremely rare. But finding a great pure pocket passer like Montana or Marino is also rare.

You've made some good points, but other than lumping Dixon into a category with other quarterbacks who have failed, you haven't offered any reason for why he will fail. Is he too small? Is he a horrible passer? Can he not read defenses? Forget about other quarterbacks ... what is it about Dixon that you don't like?

JCPsteelers
04-30-2010, 02:41 AM
To the people who didn't think Kordell was great in college obviously didn't see him play at Colorado ( I grew up in Colorado and watched him a lot).. The guy was great although he had difficulty in the big games (Nebraska in particular) .. Kordell wasn't accurate enough to be a consistent QB in the NFL. He wasn't as bad as some out here make him out to be but he wasn't great..

2001 AFC championship game was lost on special teams.. 14 points given up on a punt return and blocked FG.. Kordell didnt' lose that game, Cowher's special teams did. The 1997 game I don't have a problem with people blaming him for that one because he did give up that game with 4 turnovers..

BTW, Kordell was by far a better QB in college than Dixon was.. Kordell was QB for 3 years at CU right after they changed to the pro set and away from the wishbone where they won the national championship with (Darian Hagan was the QB).

tube517
04-30-2010, 05:13 AM
When Kordell had a running game and good WR's he was solid but not great. When he didn't have the running game/WR's he was horrible. In other words, he had to have support and could not carry a team by himself. He stunk up the 97 AFCC....The '01 AFCC outcome was a result of the Cheaters' cheating ways/poor ST's play and a hurt Bettis.

solardave
04-30-2010, 06:41 AM
I'm having a debate about Kordell Stewart with someone else on another forum. Just to let you all know, we're both not Steelers fans. But yes, if any number of you could elaborate on whether he was a good quarterback for you that just wasn't coached up to par, and definitely had potential, or if he just failed to live up to expectations even when given a good amount of help...well I'd greatly appreciate your insight. Thanks.

IMHO Kordell struggled not because of coaching but because he couldn't read defenses.
He had good games when he ran for his life. Keep him in the pocket and he was a sitting duck throwing INTs like they were going out of style. He was a better WR than a QB!

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-30-2010, 08:36 AM
There's more money to be made when you're QB than when you're "/"... Kordell could have been an amazingly gifted athlete that lined up all over the field. But he, IMO, lacked the mental fortitude to be a GREAT QB, but was a notch above average.

And I don't think he and Cowher's relationship helped the cause much either...

truesteelerfan
04-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Kordell was one of my favorite players to watch when he was at his best! Yes, he frustrated me also with some of his decision making, and how many passes fell at his receivers feet. But I always liked the potential he had to take the ball down and run if no one was open. I also feel he tried too hard to prove he was a pocket passer. I wish he would have been the Pro Bowl player he could have been longer- but guess it was not meant to be.

Now....what do I do with the 3 Kordell jerseys I have? Anyone know how to remove the name letters on the back if they are not sewn on? I'm sure we'll have a new #10 someday :)

Wallace108
04-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm sure we'll have a new #10 someday :)

That day is here ... Dixon changed his number to 10 :)

zulater
04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I liked Kordell.

No, he didn't win the big one . . . But he was a pretty big part of reaching all those championship games. Kordell had that 5 TD game against the Ravens and that was pretty impressive. Kordell could change the complexion of the game really easily (sometimes for the worse) - But (IMO) it was mostly for the good.

No we didn't like him because he sucked in the playoffs.

Here's his lifetime playoff passing totals.

69 cmp 142 att 48.6% 744 yds 5.24 ypa 2 td 8 int 45.6 rtg.

Several Super Bowl caliber teams were sunk by Kordell's right arm. That's why we didn't like him.

:coffee:

jollyrob68
04-30-2010, 10:47 AM

For someone so AWFUL didnt he get us to the AFC Championship(s)? He couldn't get us over the hump(in fact I blame Cowher for being conservative in the AFC championships).

jollyrob68
04-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Kordell should of stayed SLASH.

BlastFurnace
04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
For someone so AWFUL didnt he get us to the AFC Championship(s)? He couldn't get us over the hump(in fact I blame Cowher for being conservative in the AFC championships).

Actually, not being conservative is what cost the Steelers in the 1997 game with Kordell as QB.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Actually, not being conservative is what cost the Steelers in the 1997 game with Kordell as QB.

I concur... It was like watching a different team out there. But it got to the point where they HAD to pass the ball.

That was a tough loss to take...it hurt. They should have won that game.

polamalubeast
04-30-2010, 11:08 AM
No we didn't like him because he sucked in the playoffs.

Here's his lifetime playoff passing totals.

69 cmp 142 att 48.6% 744 yds 5.24 ypa 2 td 8 int 45.6 rtg.

:shake01::puke::coffee::banging:

revefsreleets
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
QBR by year (along with his ranking and the other QB's in and around that ranking)
2000: QBR 73.6, ranked 25th in the NFL. Tony Banks. Chris Chandler, Jay Fiedler.
1999: QBR 64.9 ranked 32 in the NFL. Doug Pederson. Cade McNown. Billie Joe Tolliver.
1998: QBR 62.9 26th in the NFL. Ryan Leaf (seriously). Danny Kannel. Donald Hollis. Craig Whelihan.
1997: QBR 75.2. 20th in the NFL. Vinnie Testeverde. Ty Detmer. Erik Kramer.

There is a very good reason he's in the kind of company he is. Had he played on a lessor team, nobody would even remember his name.

steelerdave1969
04-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Kordell tried way too hard to prove that he could be a "pocket QB" because of the criticism that other young african american quarterbacks were taking because they were all "running QB's". I don't think he (or the coaching staff) let him develop naturally using the gifts that he had and he tried to impersonate a style that wasn't natural as opposed to developing a reasonable balance on his own. As one of the other posters wrote....when he was good he was very good, when he was bad he was horrific. LOL

Had very big potential. The fact that he made no impact anywhere else after he left tells you it was unrealized potential.

Nice post Pepsyman. I agree with you pretty much all the way. He did take so much criticism about not being a pocket passer. I honestly think that Kordell would be a better QB today in todays game than he was then. But I have always said that IF Neil O'Donnell hadnt taken the money with the Jets and Kordell would have stayed "Slash" the Steelers could have won a Super Bowl or two with those guys. But thats just my opinion.:noidea:

JSH6487
04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Exactly how many Super Bowls has Matt Ryan led the Falcons to?

I agree. Finding a quarterback like Elway or Young who can scramble and pass is extremely rare. But finding a great pure pocket passer like Montana or Marino is also rare.

You've made some good points, but other than lumping Dixon into a category with other quarterbacks who have failed, you haven't offered any reason for why he will fail. Is he too small? Is he a horrible passer? Can he not read defenses? Forget about other quarterbacks ... what is it about Dixon that you don't like?

I said Ryan COULD take the Falcons to the SB...and I think he will within the next 5 years. Mike Vick would still be in a Falcons uniform for the next 5 years running around like an idiot and the throwing the ball at receivers feet or 6 feet over their heads if it wasn't for the dog fighting conviction. The Falcons lucked out with that, because the organization could never trade or release him because the Atlanta fans loved him so much no matter how horrible he was.

And yes, I said it before...Dixon is very inaccurate and can not read defenses. Please don't come back with his completion % in college because like I argued with a couple people before on this board...it means absolutely nothing. Troy Smith and Pat White threw for the same completion % Dixon did in college, it's a totally different game. I'm actually hoping Dixon does become the starter week 1 so after he throws for 37% in his first few games, maybe we won't have to have this dumb conversation about him being a legit QB again.

cloppbeast
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
He was the only guy in NFL history to throw an runa an 80 yard TD, throw an 80 yard TD, and catch and 80 yard TD. Also, he punted the ball a few times.

One guy already said it, "A jack of all trades, but a master at none." He resented his slash role, even though have excelled at it. He was an average QB, but solely due to emotional issues. His talent was invalidated by his shaky confidence, which showed most of all in key situations.

Wallace108
04-30-2010, 02:07 PM
I said Ryan COULD take the Falcons to the SB...and I think he will within the next 5 years. Mike Vick would still be in a Falcons uniform for the next 5 years running around like an idiot and the throwing the ball at receivers feet or 6 feet over their heads if it wasn't for the dog fighting conviction. The Falcons lucked out with that, because the organization could never trade or release him because the Atlanta fans loved him so much no matter how horrible he was.

And yes, I said it before...Dixon is very inaccurate and can not read defenses. Please don't come back with his completion % in college because like I argued with a couple people before on this board...it means absolutely nothing. Troy Smith and Pat White threw for the same completion % Dixon did in college, it's a totally different game. I'm actually hoping Dixon does become the starter week 1 so after he throws for 37% in his first few games, maybe we won't have to have this dumb conversation about him being a legit QB again.

Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree on Dixon's potential. But if he ends up starting during Ben's suspension, I hope I'm right. :drink:

BlastFurnace
04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
I concur... It was like watching a different team out there. But it got to the point where they HAD to pass the ball.

That was a tough loss to take...it hurt. They should have won that game.

Yep, before that first Kordell deep pass that was an INT in the end zone, they were up 14-10 and driving. After that INT, the entire course of the game changed.

BlastFurnace
04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Check out this clip on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbQuTiavmc0

Kordell's 80 yard run is in it.

Steeldude
04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
read my signature it explains it all :drink:

PhantomJB93
04-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Just because I feel like posting it, my uncle used to be his nextdoor neighbor and I met him a couple times :tt02:

But personally, Im not a huge fan of those "Run-first throw-second QBs," they can make plays with their feet but when it comes down to it the QB's main job is to throw, and although they can make better passes than the average player I have yet to see one who I consider to have "Great Passing Skills," they are all average passers who can use their feet to make plays when they aren't good enough to make a pass in tight coverage.

lillloyd
04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
I liked Kordell and held out hope until the bitter end that he'd turn the corner as a QB. But the reality was that he never lived up to the promise of his first couple of years.

Absolutely tremendous athlete. Many thought he would have been a Pro Bowl receiver had he opted to go that route. Blindingly fast his first few years--when he ran he made everyone else look like they were wading through molasses. (Check out the Denver regular season game from '97 to see what I mean!)

To some extent, I think he got a bad rap. He wasn't godawful the way some fans think, he was simply an average QB in a town that hates QBs. He actually was a large reason for the team's success in 2001 (his QB best year I think). He certainly didn't clutch up the way Ben does in key situations, but then that's true of most NFL QBs. I think some of the vitriol sent his way was a backlash to all of the early hype surrounding him.

Many pin the '01 loss to the Pats on Kordell; the reality is the Pats got pretty lucky with two return TDs (FG block and punt return) that got Pitt in a big hole (21-3 I believe), and our '97 team was designed for ball control, not coming from behind. Kordell did throw picks at the very end, which is what people remember, but again the reality is, most QBs aren't like Ben, and most non-superstar QBs throw picks when they're down in a playoff game. (Hell, many very good or great QBs throw picks in these situations--see: Manning, Peyton ;) And it's not like Kordell *never* did well in those situations--his late pass to Bobby Shaw in the Dec '01 Ravens game was a beauty, and one of my favorite Steelers plays of all time.

A funny thing--I believe to this day that some of the *national* scorn for Kordell arose out of Fantasy Football. He had a ridiculous FF statline in his first year as a starter (21 TDs passing / 11 TDs running I believe), which led a lot of people to take him near the top of their drafts the following year. And he was pretty bad in that following year.

:tt02:

VTsteel
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
. . . Many pin the '01 loss to the Pats on Kordell; the reality is the Pats got pretty lucky with two return TDs (FG block and punt return) that got Pitt in a big hole (21-3 I believe)

The pats did NOT get lucky. They freakin' cheated - and that is a FACT!

I remember Ward saying after that game " . . . it was like they knew what we were gonna run . . " and that was before anyone had any clue that the Patriots were actually cheating for sure.

I believe (had we not been a victim of their sleezebaggery) that we would've gone on and DEMOLISHED the Rams.

We would be sitting here today waiting on trophy #8!

The Pats did not get lucky!

ricardisimo
05-05-2010, 02:51 PM
A funny thing--I believe to this day that some of the *national* scorn for Kordell arose out of Fantasy Football. He had a ridiculous FF statline in his first year as a starter (21 TDs passing / 11 TDs running I believe), which led a lot of people to take him near the top of their drafts the following year. And he was pretty bad in that following year.

I think this is a very astute observation. I wouldn't doubt it for minute.

I don't know if it's already been discussed in this thread, but there was also a lot of speculation at some point regarding his sexual orientation, and stories of him calling closed-door meetings with the rest of the offense to discuss it. All I know is almost immediately he started getting sacked and hit a lot more than the previous weeks or months, like no one was blocking for him anymore.

Coincidence maybe, or maybe not. We'll never know. :noidea:

DanRooney
05-05-2010, 02:52 PM
A very mediocre QB who flourished with a great run game and a great defense. It just took the league a little while to adjust to his ability to run for the first downs.

revefsreleets
05-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, he is immortalized as being the poster boy for NFL QB mediocrity and doing JUUUUUUST enough to stay in the league.

And he made millions in the process, so I guess he's probably just fine with it all...

GoSlash27
05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
He was a star athlete with great potential that the Steelers organization failed to capitalize on. His strength was in his ability to multiply the playbook and disorient the defense and we forced him to be a pocket passer.

I miss his early years. We didn't win rings, but the games were fun to watch.

scsteeler
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM

I agree strongly that Kordell could not read defenses and had no desire that I saw to learn. That made him the Yin & Yang style of QB he was Great when he was good and horrible when he just tried to sling the ball to whomever he thought was open.

Saying that I liked Kordell and wish he could have learned to read defenses maybe we could have had 3 more SB's.

kirklandrules
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
The man cried on the field. CRIED! I pictured Jack Lambert crushing a beer can when that went down.

Although I always hoped he'd do well, cause he did seem like a good guy, I was so frustrated watching him short-hop every out pattern. He couldn't hit an out pattern to save his life. His true potential was WR and I think he could have been one of the best in the game.

Prok
05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
He was a star athlete with great potential that the Steelers organization failed to capitalize on. His strength was in his ability to multiply the playbook and disorient the defense and we forced him to be a pocket passer.

I miss his early years. We didn't win rings, but the games were fun to watch.

Bill Cowher is a great coach. He ALWAYS did well when it came to putting his players in good position to succeed. I'm really not even a Cowher guy as i did not care for his conservative style.

But i don't think any of us can deny the man's gifts as a coach for us. We've had a TON of marginal players do well under coach Cowher.

Kordell simply didn't have all the tools to be a great QB.

In fact, it can be argued that Cowher hung onto Kordell too long as QB. The guy gave him EVERY chance to succeed IMO.

Slanted August
05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
And it's not like Kordell *never* did well in those situations--his late pass to Bobby Shaw in the Dec '01 Ravens game was a beauty, and one of my favorite Steelers plays of all time.

That was a Sunday night game deep in their own endzone in Baltimore. The quick slant because of the blitz and read perfectly by Kordell who held his ground throwing it to Shaw. Its funny.... I think of that play and the game where he out ran the entire Carolina football team for a TD. I remember that Carolina's defense being in shock (Kevin Greene) by what just happened to them.

He wanted to play QB but he was catching fade routes for TD with ease towards the end of one season.

LVSteelersfan
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry, but I have to laugh at anyone who says Kordell was the third best QB in Steeler's history. Say what you want about Odonnel and Maddox, but they were both better QBs than Kordell ever was. Doesn't take much because he was hideously awful.

Kindjunior
05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
He wasted 5 yrs of Jerome Bettis's brilliance. :banging:

markymarc
05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Sorry, but I have to laugh at anyone who says Kordell was the third best QB in Steeler's history. Say what you want about Odonnel and Maddox, but they were both better QBs than Kordell ever was. Doesn't take much because he was hideously awful.

He wasted 5 yrs of Jerome Bettis's brilliance. :banging:

Absolutely correct!

St33lersguy
05-08-2010, 08:59 PM
He cost us a superbowl appearance in '97 and helped finish off his own team in the '01 championship game. He was a choker who couldn't throw the ball. No he was not a good quarterback, no better than the other crap the steelers put out at the position between Bradshaw and Ben

Prok
05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
He cost us a superbowl appearance in '97 and helped finish off his own team in the '01 championship game. He was a choker who couldn't throw the ball. No he was not a good quarterback, no better than the other crap the steelers put out at the position between Bradshaw and Ben

As a life long Steelers fan i gotta admit I still have some harsh memories from those days. Hoping against all hope that a mediocre QB somehow plays out of his ass for just ONE season to give us another trophy to celebrate.

Then inevitably getting said hopes crushed time and again when <insert any of the QB's here> makes a huge mistake at the most in-opportune time to cost us dearly. I was even at the point of blaming our run first mentality for putting too much pressure on the QB's to perform on 3rd and long all the time vs tough foes.

It seems like it ALWAYS comes down to QB play with us. I think it's because we always seem to field a competitive team that can contend.

Then I take a long hard look at those 6 ( SIX !!) shiney trophies and somehow it brings a great sense of pride to me again.

Then after that buzz wears off i'll go on another "Why the F couldn't we have even attempted to draft a QB early during that span???" tangent. Ahhh, the cycles of Steelers fandom.

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Well, too be fair, there were two things at play. One was that they tried. They DID draft Malone highly. In the Steelers case, that left a bad taste in their mouths. Mark Malone was supposed to be a sure bet, and he failed, and, well....

So they focused on developing QB"s in later rounds, and they did have some success at it.

The other element was cost. The QB position became so expensive for a small market team with an old stadium that didn't generate large revenue streams that they were FORCED to try and develop a guy, and pay other guys (namely defensive players) instead. That philosophy reveals itself perfectly in Chad Scott's second contract, where they made a CB the highest paid Steelers player in history (up to that point at least).

I'd actually say in retrospect considering the very limited ability of Stewart, they did a great job of squeezing value out of him.