PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Oil Spill could become worst in US History

Fire Haley
04-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Get your shrimps now

State of emergency declared as oil spill nears Louisiana

(CNN) -- Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal declared a state of emergency Thursday in preparation for the arrival of an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico that was expected to reach land Friday.

At the White House, President Obama said the federal government will use "every single resource at our disposal" to help contain the oil spill.

The U.S. military may be called on to assist authorities scrambling to mitigate the potential environmental disaster posed by the spill, officials said.

At a White House briefing Thursday, federal authorities, including Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, pledged a robust response. Napolitano said she has designated the leak a "spill of national significance," meaning officials can draw down assets from other areas to combat it.

Officials said late Wednesday the estimated amount of oil spewing into the Gulf from three underwater leaks after last week's oil rig explosion has increased to as much as 5,000 barrels, or 210,000 gallons, a day -- five times more than what was initially believed.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/louisiana.oil.rig/index.html

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/newsgraphics/2010/0428-spill-map/0429-spill-web.png

The Patriot
04-29-2010, 02:45 PM
So how's that drill baby drill thing working out for 'cha?

http://sharprightturn.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sarah-palin-rnc-speech.jpg

I can't wait to move to "clean coal"

MACH1
04-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Next you'll be saying it's a racist spill. :doh:

"clean coal" :rofl: no such thing.

AllD
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
This might be bigger than Exxon's Valdez. The platform was leased and not the property of BP, but they are manning up and taking the blame.

It will be interesting to see how quickly this increases wind and solar power. Massachusetts just won approval for their wind farm after a 10 year study.

Steelerstrength
04-29-2010, 04:55 PM
I can't imagine the complete disaster this will cause. From business to environmental tragedy, the consequences appear devastating! Damn!

Fire Haley
04-29-2010, 06:23 PM
So how's that drill baby drill thing working out for 'cha"

You mean Obama's big plan to open more offshore drilling sites? - he's hosed.

http://itsgettinghotinhere.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/31energy-graf01-popup.jpg

smokin3000gt
04-29-2010, 07:35 PM

http://sharprightturn.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/sarah-palin-rnc-speech.jpg

You're right.. we should stop drilling and buy foreign oil at a premium instead. Russia has the right idea, drill OUR oil (because we won't), then sell it back to us. :thumbsup:

The Patriot
04-29-2010, 07:56 PM
You're right.. we should stop drilling and buy foreign oil at a premium instead. Russia has the right idea, drill OUR oil (because we won't), then sell it back to us. :thumbsup:

Well, hopefully the dolphins sell it back to us before it reaches Louisiana tonight.

smokin3000gt
04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
http://sellmic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/dead_fish1.jpg

Godfather
04-29-2010, 09:27 PM

Not to mention the fact that when the Russians, Chicoms, and Castro regime drill in the same waters, we'll see a lot more of this. They don't put any value on the environment, whereas we at least try to avoid incidents like this.

Oh, and to our Cheaters fan, stay classy...this is real to people on the Gulf Coast whereas all you care about is using it to further your sick obsession with a former vice presidential candidate. You should be ashamed of yourself. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

X-Terminator
04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Well, hopefully the dolphins sell it back to us before it reaches Louisiana tonight.

Shouldn't you be directing your smarmy posts to the Brits? Because British Petroleum owns that rig that exploded and sprung a leak.

The Patriot
04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Not to mention the fact that when the Russians, Chicoms, and Castro regime drill in the same waters, we'll see a lot more of this. They don't put any value on the environment, whereas we at least try to avoid incidents like this.

Oh, and to our Cheaters fan, stay classy...this is real to people on the Gulf Coast whereas all you care about is using it to further your sick obsession with a former vice presidential candidate. You should be ashamed of yourself. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

I'm not ashamed. I know this is not a joke. This pisses me off, more than you know. Wait until it affects the economy. What's more is that it was initiated by Obama, who campaigned against it.

This is why environmentalists had such apprehensions about rapid expansion of offshore drilling. In fact, this is probably much worse than what they feared. One mistake, and say "adiós!" to a percentage of the sea life in the Gulf.

Godfather
04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm not ashamed. I know this is not a joke. This pisses me off, more than you know. Wait until it affects the economy. What's more is that it was initiated by Obama, who campaigned against it.

This is why environmentalists had such apprehensions about rapid expansion of offshore drilling. In fact, this is probably much worse than what they feared. One mistake, and say "adiós!" to a percentage of the sea life in the Gulf.

The Gulf has bigger problems than this oil spill. We have an annual dead zone that covers thousands of square miles of water, and it's caused by agricultural runoff due mainly to subsidized corn production.

BTW, I'm no fan of Obama but this isn't his doing. Oil has been drilled in the central and western Gulf for decades. Obama wants to open some areas in the Atlantic, but even if he doesn't, other countries can drill at sites closer to the shore than this rig and there's nothing we can do to stop them.

ETA: Sorry for flying off the handle on you. I wrongly took your post as exploiting the disaster to ridicule Palin.

tony hipchest
04-29-2010, 11:13 PM
ETA: Sorry for flying off the handle on you. I wrongly took your post as exploiting the disaster to ridicule Palin.honestly, i cant even tell anymore... is that a picture of her or tina fey?

stillers4me
04-30-2010, 06:31 AM
At least they learned alot from the Valdez spill about cleaning it up...........Dawn's stock just went up. What a horrible mess.

Fire Haley
04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
The Gulf has bigger problems than this oil spill..

I doubt that - it doesn't get any worse than this. And the wellhead is in 5000 ft of water - too deep for easy fixes.

The only thing saving us here is the strong SE winds which are pushing the oil towards the mouth of the Mississippi, for now.
It could shift any which way

Third Horizon Leak Discovered: Spill Rate Grows To 210,000 Gallons A Day

Tiber oilfield that Deepwater Horizon was drilling contains a bottomless several billion gallons of oil, only several millions of which have leaked. In other words, this leaking could potentially spew 1,000,000 gallons of crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico until the leak is contained and stopped, which might be months from now.

Previous reports have shown that it will take weeks to even localize the spill for easier removal, and months to plug the leak with so-called "intervenion wells", as the attempt to activate the massive cut-off valve on the well via robotic sumbarine has failed, and attempts at experimenting with burning the slick in local regions are just beginning. At a rate of 200,000 gallons per day, the well leaks will expel 1,000,000 gallons oil.

Evidence has emerged that the new total leak rate is in excess of BP’s reported worse-case scenario response capacity.

About 210,000 gallons of oil per day has been leaking since the BP rig caught fire and sank …

It was heading for Louisiana’s fragile coastal wetlands – and $3 billion seafood industry – just as the shrimping season is set to begin.

BP is drilling a "relief well" to divert the oil, but it would take three months to complete, Suttles said.

http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/44083

Fire Haley
04-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Shouldn't you be directing your smarmy posts to the Brits? Because British Petroleum owns that rig that exploded and sprung a leak.

Boycott British Petroleum

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/43000/43846/gulf_tmo_2010119_1.jpg

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/43000/43846/gulf_tmo_2010119_2.jpg

revefsreleets
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
We have to drill. And I'd much rather have BP doing it, with some semblance of safety measures in place, some protocols in case of emergency, and some standards being adhered to then the Chinese or Mexicans doing it in the cheapest fashion possible.

No doubt, this is a sad tragedy. I wish there was some other way, but there isn't.

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Listen, just get like 8 million Sham Wows down there and toss them in the ocean. Problem solved.

Fire Haley
04-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Impeach Obama. This is worse than Katrina.

The spill happened April 20, 11 days later, and it is still worsening? I thought we were getting a President that could actually respond to disasters, not lollygag while things get worse.

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Rumor is that Halliburton was responsible for the pouring of the Concrete at the base of the Rig and for the "cap" that has failed to stop the leak.

Its all Dick Cheney's fault. Hilarious since he is the Dark Lord of the Sith and is still running things in this country.

"Time for an increase in gas prices...create an oil rig crisis...good good...soon they will know the true power of the Dark Cheney"

43Hitman
04-30-2010, 01:58 PM

The spill happened April 20, 11 days later, and it is still worsening? I thought we were getting a President that could actually respond to disasters, not lollygag while things get worse.

Leave Obama alone, he can only do so much while he's campaigning. :popcorn:

Fire Haley
04-30-2010, 05:51 PM
I need to milk this cow.

I live on the gulf. I have a boat.

I think Killer's Tar Ball Removal Service will be charging $80 an hour to go find them in my boat before they reach land and keep the beaches safe.

I only need to find one - - - and take a pic to distribute to the news services- - - then I can go national and set up a non-profit charity donation site.....tax free. Yes - we take PayPal.

"Send us a doller to keep your beaches safe"

Nationwide, I say. I will even paint a red cross on my boat for full effect. I do have a degree in enviromental sciences.

I perdict $250,000 from the greenies in the first month. and my lieutenants get the most benefits. I'm calling FEMA.

Who's in?

NJarhead
04-30-2010, 06:00 PM

I need to milk this cow.

I live on the gulf. I have a boat.

I think Killer's Tar Ball Removal Service will be charging $80 an hour to go find them in my boat before they reach land and keep the beaches safe.

I only need to find one - - - and take a pic to distribute to the news services- - - then I can go national and set up a non-profit charity donation site.....tax free. Yes - we take PayPal.

"Send us a doller to keep your beaches safe"

Nationwide, I say. I will even paint a red cross on my boat for full effect. I do have a degree in enviromental sciences.

I perdict $250,000 from the greenies in the first month. and my lieutenants get the most benefits. I'm calling FEMA.

Who's in?

Damn, you guys beat me to it. :chuckle:

Oh, Oh, Oh, Obama. :sofunny:

Fire Haley
04-30-2010, 06:49 PM
For $1M dollars you can be a VIP distinguished member.

Remember, it IS tax deductable.

NJarhead
04-30-2010, 06:52 PM
For $1M dollars you can be a VIP distinguished member.

Remember, it IS tax deductable.

Bah! Who needs that? I'm going to start submitting my applications to a couple of those 280+ new federal agencies Obama created. Damn acronyms are so confusing though....:chuckle:

GBMelBlount
04-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Relax Killer. He's still organizing the response. He is an excellent organizer you know......it's his specialty in fact. Once he's done organizing everything will be fine.

Execution...well, that's another thing...

Fire Haley
04-30-2010, 07:20 PM
I live on the beach.

We will want somehead's on a spike if we get oiled. No lie dog. Beat it.

Vincent
04-30-2010, 08:36 PM
BTW, I'm no fan of Obama but this isn't his doing.

Of course it isn't, any more than Katrina was "Bush's fault". One thing we can rely on though, as sure as the Sun rises in the East - the "administration's" handling of this will get a total pass by the "media" shills. And we are now at day 11. If Bush had waited until day 3... well....

Godfather
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Of course it isn't, any more than Katrina was "Bush's fault". One thing we can rely on though, as sure as the Sun rises in the East - the "administration's" handling of this will get a total pass by the "media" shills. And we are now at day 11. If Bush had waited until day 3... well....

Well, I was referring to offshore drilling being allowed, not to this particular incident.

Bush does bear some blame for the poor response to Katrina, as do Blanco and Nagin and Broussard.

SteelersinCA
04-30-2010, 10:41 PM
This is going to affect so many different facets of the economy it's not even funny. It has the potential to wipe out a lot of fishing down there as well. Drilling isn't the answer, getting off oil is.

T&B fan
05-01-2010, 09:37 AM
We have to drill. And I'd much rather have BP doing it, with some semblance of safety measures in place, some protocols in case of emergency, and some standards being adhered to then the Chinese or Mexicans doing it in the cheapest fashion possible.

No doubt, this is a sad tragedy. I wish there was some other way, but there isn't.

yea that would be nice ,mmmm ,wind ....sun ... ??

Listen, just get like 8 million Sham Wows down there and toss them in the ocean. Problem solved.

Hair is what needs to be sent 1 lb hair will suck up 7.85 gl oil .....

Vincent
05-01-2010, 10:13 AM

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9FDI7RG9&show_article=1
Obama not going to Gulf yet, maybe later?
Apr 30 02:39 PM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says President Barack Obama won't be heading to the Gulf Coast in the next few days. But press secretary Robert Gibbs left open the possibility of a later presidential visit to assess the spreading oil spill.
Obama is stepping up his personal involvement as the magnitude of the spill in the Gulf of Mexico grows by the day.

On Friday the president announced he'd ordered the interior secretary to see whether any new safety procedures are needed before new offshore drilling leases can go forward. He also sent top Cabinet officials and other advisers to the Gulf to help oversee the response.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

But then, just hours later when it is emerging that the "administration" has already seriously dropped the ball...

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/04/the-night-beat-obama-to-lousiana-coast/39780/
Obama To Lousiana Coast?
Apr 30 2010, 9:43 PM ET

President Obama plans to visit the catastrophe zone off Lousiana's coast within the next 48 hours as SecDef Gates mobilizes the Lousiana National Guard and WH convenes a principal-level homeland security response meeting. Republicans begin to question speed of Obama's response. Hannity: "They did nothing for nine days." ...

Its interesting that this is happening in the same neighborhood as Katrina. "Cosmic" symmetry?

43Hitman
05-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey! Those nine days of extra campaigning were important. It's important to tell the American people how evil the corporations are. :shout:THEY MUST BE PUNISHED!

:dizzy: :downspin:

revefsreleets
05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
yea that would be nice ,mmmm ,wind ....sun ... ??

We will be a world run by petrol for at least the next 25 years.

Just to clear up some misconceptions out there:
-There was a "failsafe" BOP valve that failed and no one understands why. That was NOT BP being cheap or cutting corners.
-Since this type of thing has never happened before, the protocols were found to be wanting. Again, this was not negligence.
-BP is merely leasing this rig.
-This clean-up will probably cost them 8 billion
-The remote "acoustic" shut-off is not required by the US, nor is it mandatory in the UK. There is no evidence it would have helped.

Hopefully the "dome" works and they can get this mess cleaned up sooner rather than later, but all this retroactive anti-corporate hate is a bit knee-jerk.

Dino 6 Rings
05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm just glad it wasn't a Republican in the White House when this happened, we'd never hear the end of how Evil the Republicans are, Bush would have been blamed non-stop on every show but Fox for years.

Now...I blame Obama for not defending us against the greedy oil companies and Darth Cheney. I thought we had Jedi in the White House, it turns out, he's just a merchant Toydarian named Watto who is only looking out for himself. So sad. One day we'll get the Jedi in there to defend us from the Evils of the Galactic Empire.

revefsreleets
05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm just glad it wasn't a Republican in the White House when this happened, we'd never hear the end of how Evil the Republicans are, Bush would have been blamed non-stop on every show but Fox for years.

Now...I blame Obama for not defending us against the greedy oil companies and Darth Cheney. I thought we had Jedi in the White House, it turns out, he's just a merchant Toydarian named Watto who is only looking out for himself. So sad. One day we'll get the Jedi in there to defend us from the Evils of the Galactic Empire.

Haliburton poured the concrete. Bush was President when the rig was built in 2001.

Ergo, this is all Bush's fault.

See how simple it is when you WANT to find a scapegoat?

Dino 6 Rings
05-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Haliburton poured the concrete. Bush was President when the rig was built in 2001.

Ergo, this is all Bush's fault.

See how simple it is when you WANT to find a scapegoat?

Oh I know, those things were already floated around last week when it was becoming clear that this wasn't going to be solved anytime soon.

it blew up on Barry's watch, so its all on him. The Recovery, the Action, the resulting loss of economy in the gulf states due to fishing being banned, ecosystem disaster, this is ALL on Barry from Chicago (as he likes to call himself when calling into local Radio Shows in DC.)

beSteelmyheart
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
What??? NO world group hug? NO star studded celebrity telethon to help the Gulf Coast fishermen and families????? Where the Hell is Bono when we really need him???
Oops, I'm sorry, I forgot..:doh: This is going to happen on American shores. No third world country face time opportunities here, move along.

Fire Haley
05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
White people are being affected - it's a non-story with no looters being shot.

smokin3000gt
05-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Oh I know, those things were already floated around last week when it was becoming clear that this wasn't going to be solved anytime soon.

it blew up on Barry's watch, so its all on him. The Recovery, the Action, the resulting loss of economy in the gulf states due to fishing being banned, ecosystem disaster, this is ALL on Barry from Chicago (as he likes to call himself when calling into local Radio Shows in DC.)

Give him credit where credit is due, Dino. At least he's addressing oil's march $100/barrel again.. wait a minute... eh..never mind.So what if outrageous fuel prices blow any chance of recovery out the window? We've got to campaign, people!!

AllD
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
BP has come up with a way to where we can finally run our cars on ocean water.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
BP has come up with a way to where we can finally run our cars on ocean water.

does it have to be refined ? :noidea:

SteelersinCA
05-03-2010, 08:25 PM
does it have to be refined ? :noidea:

How else will they make money?