PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds or Sean Lee?

jollyrob68
04-29-2010, 04:05 PM
WHo would you have picked Jason Worilds or Sean Lee? The Steelers wanted Sean Lee and had a first round grade on him But Mike Tomlin loved and wanted Worlids.
So, Who's your pick?

7willBheaven
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
WHo would you have picked Jason Worilds or Sean Lee? The Steelers wanted Sean Lee and had a first round grade on him But Mike Tomlin loved and wanted Worlids.
So, Who's your pick?

What are your sources that they wanted him and had a first round grade on him...as I havent read this anywhere? And based on the need of a RUSH OLB in a 3-4...Worilds is probably a better fit. I know I heard someone say Lee can play any LB position, but I dont see him as a 3-4 OLB...only a 3-4 ILB (though he probably could play any LB position in a 4-3), which we didnt need with that high of a pick.

AllD
04-29-2010, 04:19 PM
I would pick whoever Dan Rooney suggested. The Steelers don't always hit and Tomlin's track record is mixed. On paper, Lee would be the conventional favorite. Let's hope Tomlin is not in the habit of "out thinking" himself.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Worlids for sure. One thing that the people who wanted Sean Lee fail to address is where to you put him??? We are already 4 deep at the ILB position and he is not athletic enough to play outside.

Yeah we drafted Sylvester but I see him as a special teamer who may make the roster this season. If he doesn't earn a spot you place on the PS for a season. If you draft Lee in the second you are basically handcuffed into signing him and then he sits fourth or fifth on the depth chart and doesn't sniff the field. Thats just my take on the situation.

pete74
04-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Worilds in a second. i got this off yahoo sports, they were picking the best 2nd round picks. i think worilds is going to be the next woodley if not better

OLB Jason Worilds(notes), Pittsburgh Steelers

I said all along that Worilds possesses, in my opinion, the most explosive first step of any defensive linemen in the class and has the ability to consistently reach the edge in the pass game. However, what really stand out to me are Worilds’ balance and fluidity when asked to stand up and change directions either as a pass rusher or in space. He’s a perfect fit for the Steelers as a stand-up rush linebacker and has the ability to come in and be an instant impact guy from day one. Pittsburgh needed to get some youth behind OLB James Harrison(notes), and because of Worilds’ explosion off the snap, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will likely find a way to get this guy on the field in 2010 and maximize his skill set as a sack artist down the line

Galax Steeler
04-30-2010, 04:34 AM
I am sure that most people wanted Lee but when Worlids gets setteld into the system he is going to be a great pick. Not alot of people have heard about him or seen him play but this kid has a motor and will be a very good player for the Steelers.

tube517
04-30-2010, 06:09 AM
The track record of Hokie draft picks for Pittsburgh sucks (Adibi, Humes) but I am hoping Worilds succeeds.

jollyrob68
04-30-2010, 11:40 AM
What are your sources that they wanted him and had a first round grade on him...as I havent read this anywhere? And based on the need of a RUSH OLB in a 3-4...Worilds is probably a better fit. I know I heard someone say Lee can play any LB position, but I dont see him as a 3-4 OLB...only a 3-4 ILB (though he probably could play any LB position in a 4-3), which we didnt need with that high of a pick.

Gery Dulac stated that in his chat this week when some asked him the question.

jollyrob68
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Heres the Q&A from the chat
Steel Curtain Rising: Gerry, during these chats both you and Ed have mentioned that you've gotten the feeling that the Steelers coaches and front office have not always been on the same page regarding personnel. Now that we’ve been through free agency and the draft, do you get any sense that they have rectified this issue?

Gerry Dulac I think for the most part they are on the same page. They -- and I mean Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert -- do a good job of agreeing on picks. But there are times where the coach might like a player a little more than where the team has him rated and I think that's what happened with their second round pick, jason Worilds. My information, and it came from high up, was that the Steelers wanted to take Sean Lee of PSU on the second round, but they didn't think he woudl be there at their turn. And I was told they would not trade up to get him, even though they had a first-round grade on Lee, which means he was ranked among their top 32 players. Well, Lee was there when it came their turn and they passed on him because Tomlin, I'm told, loved Jason Worilds. So, yes, there was some measure of disagreement, I can only assume.

revefsreleets
04-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Worilds MOSTLY because of Lee's injury, but also because of positional need.

PhantomJB93
04-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Sean Lee, but mainly because he would have an impact on this team far sooner. We may not have depth at OLB but Woodley and Harrison are going to be here much longer than the aging Farrior and Foote, and Foote and Fox are not the future of our ILB corps; you shouldn't let fear of injury to one of those two OLBs factor into your draft decision, the threat of age is a sure thing but the threat of injury is not. There's Timmons but we needed to take another guy for the future there and that guy was Lee. Plus we took two more OLBs later in the draft.

jollyrob68
04-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Sean Lee, but mainly because he would have an impact on this team far sooner. We may not have depth at OLB but Woodley and Harrison are going to be here much longer than the aging Farrior and Foote, and Foote and Fox are not the future of our ILB corps; you shouldn't let fear of injury to one of those two OLBs factor into your draft decision, the threat of age is a sure thing but the threat of injury is not. There's Timmons but we needed to take another guy for the future there and that guy was Lee. Plus we took two more OLBs later in the draft.

The one think Colbert said was with the addition of Larry Foote it wasn't as big a need as OLB and Syvester will be a ILB. I like our picks but was telling my wife its going to be Sean Lee,Terrance Cody. I'd forgotten about Worilds But was Happy with the pick.
Now we have to deal with Cody.

St33lersguy
05-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Lee, because
a. he filled a pressing need, the steelers need a replacement for Farrior, OLB should have been addressed later
b. he was of better value and the better player

steelerdave1969
05-01-2010, 07:45 AM

Cant remember where I read it, but I will try to find it again. But I read the same thing, The Steelers were not expecting Lee to be there because they had him with a First Round grade. But it sounded like Tomlin and Butler and LeBeau had liked Worilds workouts pretty much more than anyone else they worked out. And as far as I am concerned thats all that matters cuz LeBeau and Butler have pretty good eyes for talent in my opinoin.

pete74
05-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Cant remember where I read it, but I will try to find it again. But I read the same thing, The Steelers were not expecting Lee to be there because they had him with a First Round grade. But it sounded like Tomlin and Butler and LeBeau had liked Worilds workouts pretty much more than anyone else they worked out. And as far as I am concerned thats all that matters cuz LeBeau and Butler have pretty good eyes for talent in my opinoin.

i read the same thing in the post gazzett

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
So, Who's your pick?

While neither has a very high ceiling, Sean Lee would've been the safer, more reliable pick IMO. While Worilds has potential and talenet, he must be coached up and developed at the NFL level. Lee could start day 1 and contribute. Lee also brings a high football IQ and solid technique to the table, Worilds is a work in progress!

jollyrob68
05-01-2010, 03:41 PM
While neither has a very high ceiling, Sean Lee would've been the safer, more reliable pick IMO. While Worilds has potential and talenet, he must be coached up and developed at the NFL level. Lee could start day 1 and contribute. Lee also brings a high football IQ and solid technique to the table, Worilds is a work in progress!

So LEE could beat out Farrior,Timmons,Foote & FOX? I dont think so. I like Sean Lee and thought he was going to be the pick but we have no Quality depth at OLB and now both Harrison & Woodley have a quality backup without having to move timmons around.
Hine sight being 20/20 I would of taken Lee or Cody if I new Gibbson would be there.However Cody wont play special teams. I think thats why Tomlin like Dan Williams.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
So LEE could beat out Farrior,Timmons,Foote & FOX? I dont think so. I like Sean Lee and thought he was going to be the pick but we have no Quality depth at OLB and now both Harrison & Woodley have a quality backup without having to move timmons around.
Hine sight being 20/20 I would of taken Lee or Cody if I new Gibbson would be there.However Cody wont play special teams. I think thats why Tomlin like Dan Williams.

Who said Lee would beat out anyone. I said that he is better suited to start day 1 and contribute. Which also would mean that he is more NFL ready, which was my point.

Steel Bill

AllD
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Maybe they are going to move Timmons inside after Farrior.

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Maybe they are going to move Timmons inside after Farrior.

he already is even though he move him outside in blitzing packages sometimes

jollyrob68
05-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Who said Lee would beat out anyone. I said that he is better suited to start day 1 and contribute. Which also would mean that he is more NFL ready, which was my point.

Steel Bill

I think they had concerns about the Knee and Tomlin wanted Worilds. Lee would of been nice.

pete74
05-02-2010, 06:49 AM
i love the worilds pick but i thought for sure we were going to take Lee then move Timmons to OLB. Timmons dosnt seem like he will ever make the pro bowl as an ILB but i belive he has a chance at OLB and im sure anyone who watches him attack the QB when he plays on the outside agrees

jollyrob68
05-02-2010, 08:48 AM
i love the worilds pick but i thought for sure we were going to take Lee then move Timmons to OLB. Timmons dosnt seem like he will ever make the pro bowl as an ILB but i belive he has a chance at OLB and im sure anyone who watches him attack the QB when he plays on the outside agrees

I think we'll have to keep an eye on Harrison this year as Age & Injuries are creeping up on him. I like Timmons but he need to stay healthy.

pete74
05-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I think we'll have to keep an eye on Harrison this year as Age & Injuries are creeping up on him. I like Timmons but he need to stay healthy.

if harrison dosnt play great this year i think we will cut him. he makes way to much money for us to keep unless he keeps playing at a very high level. i say he has 2 years left. im just hoping we sign woodley before the season starts because that would be horrible if we let him go

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-02-2010, 09:41 AM
This is where I think the Steelers chose need and speed as opposed to BPA. With Timmons, Foote, Farrior, Fox already inside.....Lee would have pushed Fox outside. Worilds is a better overall athlete, but still a guy that is a bit raw and will get some situational play backing up at OLB.

In 2-3 years, we will see that this was the better move.

St33lersguy
05-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Worilds looks like another Huey Richardson

jollyrob68
05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Mike Tomlin is making this team into his image and I cant blame him. People keep saying he won with Cowhers player. Thats funny because he won a hell of a lot faster with these guys than Cowher did. He got rid of porter so JAmes Harrison could shine.
I do fear that this may be the last year for Kevin Colbert. They work well together but dont agree on the same people as posed by this thread. I hope we keep Kevin Colbert and continue build The Greatest Organization In The World!

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Mike Tomlin is making this team into his image and I cant blame him. People keep saying he won with Cowhers player. Thats funny because he won a hell of a lot faster with these guys than Cowher did. He got rid of porter so JAmes Harrison could shine.
I do fear that this may be the last year for Kevin Colbert. They work well together but dont agree on the same people as posed by this thread. I hope we keep Kevin Colbert and continue build The Greatest Organization In The World!

Huh, how do you know Colbert and Tomlin dont agree on the same guys?

jollyrob68
05-03-2010, 02:13 AM
Huh, how do you know Colbert and Tomlin dont agree on the same guys?

Heres the chat again from beat writer Gerry Dulac.
Heres the Q&A from the chat
Steel Curtain Rising: Gerry, during these chats both you and Ed have mentioned that you've gotten the feeling that the Steelers coaches and front office have not always been on the same page regarding personnel. Now that we’ve been through free agency and the draft, do you get any sense that they have rectified this issue?

Gerry Dulac I think for the most part they are on the same page. They -- and I mean Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert -- do a good job of agreeing on picks. But there are times where the coach might like a player a little more than where the team has him rated and I think that's what happened with their second round pick, jason Worilds. My information, and it came from high up, was that the Steelers wanted to take Sean Lee of PSU on the second round, but they didn't think he woudl be there at their turn. And I was told they would not trade up to get him, even though they had a first-round grade on Lee, which means he was ranked among their top 32 players. Well, Lee was there when it came their turn and they passed on him because Tomlin, I'm told, loved Jason Worilds. So, yes, there was some measure of disagreement, I can only assume.

This was the sole purpose of this thread. To findout what us fans thought.
I'm happy with our draft and cant wait for training camp.

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 05:04 AM
I guess we will have to wait and see if Worlids pans out. I say he will and hopefully we will have Harrisons replacement in the making.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2010, 09:55 AM
On a regular basis the Steelers draft prospects with an eye on a year or two into the future.

Based on that premise, I think it is safe to say that the Steelers FO saw a huge potential hole at OLB...with a worst case scenerio of losing both of our present starters. Lets say for a second that we all do the same as the FO and project a worst case scenerio at both ILB and OLB....and we say that for whatever reason all four are gone. (intellectual excercise only...so no one get bent out of shape).

Without the current rookies we would be looking at:

1) Inside LB starting duo of Fox and Foote...and I can live with that.
2) Outside LB starting duo of Patrick Bailey and Andre Fraizer....and I could NOT live with that.

The top heavy draft ,of two OLB's, was a purposeful attempt to add talent to poor depth at a position. With that in mind I have no problem with the FO drafting the OLB's first and picking up an ILB later in the draft.

Aussie_steeler
05-04-2010, 07:45 AM
On a regular basis the Steelers draft prospects with an eye on a year or two into the future.

Based on that premise, I think it is safe to say that the Steelers FO saw a huge potential hole at OLB...with a worst case scenerio of losing both of our present starters. Lets say for a second that we all do the same as the FO and project a worst case scenerio at both ILB and OLB....and we say that for whatever reason all four are gone. (intellectual excercise only...so no one get bent out of shape).

2) Outside LB starting duo of Patrick Bailey and Andre Fraizer....and I could NOT live with that.

The top heavy draft ,of two OLB's, was a purposeful attempt to add talent to poor depth at a position. With that in mind I have no problem with the FO drafting the OLB's first and picking up an ILB later in the draft.

and that is exactly why many were asking for OLB depth too be addressed as soon as the season finished.

What I have learnt from LLT and a few others here is to:

1. swallow my pride
2. look at the depth charts and contract expiry dates
3. look 2 years forward and see what holes will present
4. believe that one of your favourite players of all time may be let go
5. construct a positional ranking list / not a player wish list

Thus for 2011 - 2012 the biggest holes to fill could be:

2011 WR Mike Wallace
2011 ILB Lawrence Timmons
2012 LT - Max Starks
2012 ILB - James Farrior

I think I can see one big potential area of need that may need to be filled in the next draft.

But I could be wrong.

jollyrob68
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM

I agree with everything you said. When the experts were saying why did they draft so many LB? I said they just dont get it. The 34d is based on the front 7 and it takes time to develop OLB's. It took harrison some time to get it and we drafted players that couldn't make the adjustment. I hope the LB's get it and become our future. We need to Resign Woodley although they're going to take a wait and see approach with him. Woodley would be a RFA if there is no CBA. However I'd sign him,make him happy so he plays all out. GET IT DONE!
As far as LB's I thought they were going to sign Micah Johnson as a thumper. He looked very stiff because of all that muscle but they could of signed him as a UDFA.

jollyrob68
05-04-2010, 01:31 PM
and that is exactly why many were asking for OLB depth too be addressed as soon as the season finished.

1. swallow my pride

2011 WR Mike Wallace
2012 LT - Max Starks
2012 ILB - James Farrior

I think I can see one big potential area of need that may need to be filled in the next draft.

But I could be wrong.

I also Like they way you think. You,LLT and Big T take the emotion out of your opinion and think about what would be best for the team as a whole not just as a fan.
THANKS

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I thought they were going to sign Micah Johnson as a thumper. He looked very stiff because of all that muscle but they could of signed him as a UDFA.

Micah Johnson didnt even get picked up as a UDFA....He got a "try-out" with the Giants who QUICKLY signed him to a contract!!!!

jdthree
05-04-2010, 04:45 PM

1. swallow my pride

2011 WR Mike Wallace
2012 LT - Max Starks
2012 ILB - James Farrior

But I could be wrong.

I would submit that Ike will be long gone before either Wallace and/or Timmons.

I sure hope that we consider going LT and CB in next years draft in the first two rounds. Aside from QB (and NT in a 3-4) they are two of the most important positions on the team, and positions which we haven't spent a premium pick on in many years.

Texasteel
05-04-2010, 06:07 PM
I would submit that Ike will be long gone before either Wallace and/or Timmons.

I sure hope that we consider going LT and CB in next years draft in the first two rounds. Aside from QB (and NT in a 3-4) they are two of the most important positions on the team, and positions which we haven't spent a premium pick on in many years.

Right now everything is just a gut feeling, and mine tells me that the biggest needs next year are going to be LT, NT, and ILB. I think that is where I'm going to start and work out from there.

jollyrob68
05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Micah Johnson didnt even get picked up as a UDFA....He got a "try-out" with the Giants who QUICKLY signed him to a contract!!!!

I just read that today and thought we would of brought him in.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 02:03 PM
I just read that today and thought we would of brought him in.

We would have had to of found a roster spot for him....I dont think he would have lasted on the PS.

In a perfect world... the Giants put him on their PS...and we grab him.:chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
We would have had to of found a roster spot for him....I dont think he would have lasted on the PS.

In a perfect world... the Giants put him on their PS...and we grab him.:chuckle:

or they put him on IR...:noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM

They arn't the Patriots!!!!

:rofl:

Actually I think if he played well enough at tryouts to warrant contract....they probably have plans for him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM

(I actually hoped we would sign him and put him on IR.)

angrychair
08-11-2013, 02:31 PM
What do you think your quote below (Worilds over Sean Lee) now????

I LOVE that part about Worild's "most explosive first step of any defensive lineman in the class and has the ability to consistently reach the edge in the pass game" And the part about "balance and fluidity..."

Classic.

Originally Posted by pete74
Worilds in a second. i got this off yahoo sports, they were picking the best 2nd round picks. i think worilds is going to be the next woodley if not better

I said all along that Worilds possesses, in my opinion, the most explosive first step of any defensive linemen in the class and has the ability to consistently reach the edge in the pass game. However, what really stand out to me are Worilds’ balance and fluidity when asked to stand up and change directions either as a pass rusher or in space. He’s a perfect fit for the Steelers as a stand-up rush linebacker and has the ability to come in and be an instant impact guy from day one. Pittsburgh needed to get some youth behind OLB James Harrison(notes), and because of Worilds’ explosion off the snap, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will likely find a way to get this guy on the field in 2010 and maximize his skill set as a sack artist down the line[/QUOTE]

angrychair
08-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Oh, and "Pete74" the part about Worild's having the "ability to come in and be an instant impact guy from day one."

Worilds over Sean Lee? Really?

Pete74 (see attached).

I said all along that Worilds possesses, in my opinion, the most explosive first step of any defensive linemen in the class and has the ability to consistently reach the edge in the pass game. However, what really stand out to me are Worilds’ balance and fluidity when asked to stand up and change directions either as a pass rusher or in space. He’s a perfect fit for the Steelers as a stand-up rush linebacker and has the ability to come in and be an instant impact guy from day one. Pittsburgh needed to get some youth behind OLB James Harrison(notes), and because of Worilds’ explosion off the snap, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau will likely find a way to get this guy on the field in 2010 and maximize his skill set as a sack artist down the line

harrison'samonster
08-11-2013, 02:46 PM
how long have you been waiting to bring this old thread up?

Buddha Bus
08-11-2013, 03:14 PM
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-troll-or-just-bitter-thumb.jpg

Maybe another multi-year message board hibernation is needed. Seems you didn't get enough of a nappy and are still a bit fussy. :noidea:

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/0/5/1/6/6/3/9/Butthurt-Is-Strong-With-This-One-75011504919.jpeg

Galax Steeler
08-11-2013, 07:46 PM
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-troll-or-just-bitter-thumb.jpg

Maybe another multi-year message board hibernation is needed. Seems you didn't get enough of a nappy and are still a bit fussy. :noidea:

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/0/5/1/6/6/3/9/Butthurt-Is-Strong-With-This-One-75011504919.jpeg

Yea really does he think he is going to come on this board and attack every poster I don't think so.

harrison'samonster
08-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Yea really does he think he is going to come on this board and attack every poster I don't think so.

he's not attacking every poster, just Pete74. I say we throw Pete to him and run the other way. He's obviously crazy and unpredictable.

Galax Steeler
08-11-2013, 07:54 PM
he's not attacking every poster, just Pete74. I say we throw Pete to him and run the other way. He's obviously crazy and unpredictable.

Yea but the dude only has 5 or 6 posts and comes on here with that.:doh:

vasteeler
08-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Pete74, you officially have a stalker......how does it feel? ive never had one before

Bayz101
08-11-2013, 08:38 PM
This guy is sad. He even took a screencap with an ARROW POINTING TO PETE'S NAME. OH MY GOD. :sofunny:

StainlessStill
08-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Pete, I'd get a restraining order AY-SAP!

Buddha Bus
08-12-2013, 04:35 AM
Pete, I'd get a restraining order AY-SAP!

.... and hire this guy.

http://hellogiggles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/17/The-Bodyguard.jpg

pczach
08-16-2013, 06:57 AM
I have a feeling we'll be talking about angrychair for quite a while. He certainly made his mark.

:chuckle:

Bayz101
08-16-2013, 07:21 AM
I have a feeling we'll be talking about angrychair for quite a while. He certainly made his mark.

:chuckle:

I thought it was called a shit stain. :chuckle:

Skid mark. Racing stripe.

jacobo
08-18-2013, 11:53 PM
dude knows what's up. i keep a notepad full of urls to arguments i have with people online solely for situations like this.

never let it die. life lessons kids.