PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre might finally retire due to ankle injury

polamalubeast
04-30-2010, 11:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5150940

fansince'76
04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
I'll believe it when opening day rolls around and he's not on a team's roster.

steelerdude15
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
You never know, anything is possible, I have a feeling he'll be back.

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2010, 12:15 PM
was it a late hit that caused the injury? Just curious.

I think he'll be back for one last shot at it. The Vikings are still a very solid team, with the addition of Gerhart to take some of the pressure off AP at the goal lines and in short yardage situations, the continued growth of Harvin, and the fact most of the same roster is back minus a couple guys, I see them winning the NFC North, being good enough to get the First round by if not home field and really hurt any other team in the NFC Playoffs. Remember, they beat the living snot out of the "Great Cowboys" who are a "pretty pick" this season. They beat them so bad Jerry's hair turned red.

They are a really good and scary football team at this point. I imagine if he can get the surgery, not go to camp and still show up and play in the last preseason game, that'll convince him to give it a shot.

JPPT1974
04-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah as he can't play like forever! He is forty-years old!

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2010, 02:09 PM
please come back brett farve ...:crying01:

tube517
04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Yawn

Lodin151
04-30-2010, 06:50 PM
He seems to think he is Cronus. (Titan god of time) He will be back, like it or not.

Nadroj 20
04-30-2010, 07:19 PM
This wont stop him from coming back. If he doesnt come back its because he simply doesnt want to play anymore so he retires, it wont be because of this injury that could easily be taken care of if he wanted it to be.

Godfather
04-30-2010, 09:26 PM
He'll retire because of the ankle. Then in August when everyone goes to training camp, he'll start thinking he misses the game. BSPN will then start round the clock coverage of his body language when he drives his riding mower in Hattiesburg and his facial expressions when he looks at football on TV. He'll unretire in late August and be a starting quarterback again by Week 1.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-30-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm sure he'll come back and use the ankle surgery as an acuse to skip out on trainig camp once again.

Psyychoward86
04-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm sure he'll come back and use the ankle surgery as an acuse to skip out on trainig camp once again.

QFT

RoethlisBURGHer
04-30-2010, 10:58 PM

Exactly.

Brett Favre is an "I am bigger than the team" kind of guy in that way. He doesn't want to go through TC. That's why he didn't "unretire" until the last minute last season.

I will believe that Favre is retired when he send the official paperwork to the League offices in New York.

AllD
05-01-2010, 05:18 AM
He comes back more than the Terminator and Jason.

Godfather
05-01-2010, 08:40 AM
At least rehabbing the ankle means no retirement/unretirement drama.

Brett Favre.

HometownGal
05-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I'll believe it when the season is underway. He loves the drama too much to let a little ankle rehab stop him from wearing the drama crown.

Lodin151
05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
I just saw on Sport Center Favre is quoted as saying "I'm 100% positive I will never put on pads again."

Even with that, seeing is believing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I'll believe it when the season is underway. He loves the drama too much to let a little ankle rehab stop him from wearing the drama crown.

I agree. The guy will play the drama queen retirement card again, then come back in the final preseason game of the year and proclaim himself ready to play.

I just saw on Sport Center Favre is quoted as saying "I'm 100% positive I will never put on pads again."

Even with that, seeing is believing.
Yeah, didnt he tearfully retire already, only to unretire 2 more times?? I used to respect the guy, now I really hate Favre :m16:

LambertIsGod58
05-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I agree. The guy will play the drama queen retirement card again, then come back in the final preseason game of the year and proclaim himself ready to play.

Yeah, didnt he tearfully retire already, only to unretire 2 more times?? I used to respect the guy, now I really hate Favre :m16:

Yeah, I really hate a guy who has played 18 seasons as an NFL QB and NEVER missed a game. Not to mention playing at the age of 40, having his best season ever and playing better than most QB's in the league. What's not to hate?:coffee:

smokin3000gt
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Exactly.

Brett Favre is an "I am bigger than the team" kind of guy in that way. He doesn't want to go through TC. That's why he didn't "unretire" until the last minute last season.

I will believe that Favre is retired when he send the official paperwork to the League offices in New York.

Who cares? The guy is 40 yrs old and still taking snaps in the NFL. Let's see YOU go through TC @ 40.

LambertIsGod58
05-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Do you hate Ben?

tony hipchest
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
:popcorn:

brett favre.

Indo
05-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Favre .
Brett Favre.

steelerdude15
05-04-2010, 11:26 PM
It's always interesting to see what happens with him... off to Favre watch. :eye:

Galax Steeler
05-05-2010, 04:02 AM
I don't care either way he has been a good quarterback over the years but I have lost all respect for the guy with the way he approaches every year.

Indo
05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I posted this in another thread a few months ago---
and I still stand by it

I know that we all make fun of The Favre on this board, but let's keep things in perspective...

First of all, he's a first-ballot HOF Quarterback
Next, he's STILL got it, even at the age of 40

He can take a pounding and get right back up----without complaining or petitioning the refs for a flag

His decisions to retire and unretire, while a bit annoying, ARE his decisions---and no one elses. His legacy (as he has said) is His, and no one elses.

Put yourself in his position----you have just finished a season and you are BANGED up (especially at 39-40). You might just say to yourself, "I've had enough". But several months go by and you're feeling better and you realize that you still have something left. You are a professional quarterback ( and a damn good one) and you have the opportunity to play The Game You Love (the one you have been playing at a very high level since you were a child) for at least One More Year. The opportunity to get back to The Big Dance in January/February. The opportunity to hoist the Lombardi one more time; to get One More Ring.

Who on this board wouldn't take that opportunity? Because I know I would...and I wouldn't give a rat's a$$ who cared or got annoyed. And neither does Brett Favre.

The game won't be the same when he does retire.

Brett Favre

Dino 6 Rings
05-05-2010, 11:23 AM
The only way he quits is when his body finally breaks down. It will take an injury to get this guy to stop showing up each year. So if this is it, so be it. We'll see.

polamalubeast
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
FAVRE WATCH:toofunny:

SteelMember
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
The only way he quits is when his body finally breaks down. It will take an injury to get this guy to stop showing up each year. So if this is it, so be it. We'll see.

"We can rebuild him."

:old: ...... :boxing: ...... :dizzy: ...... :injured: ..... :crutches: ...... :borg: ...... :flex:...... :celebrate

Brett Favre

Indo
05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
"We can rebuild him."

:old: ...... :boxing: ...... :dizzy: ...... :injured: ..... :crutches: ...... :borg: ...... :flex:...... :celebrate

Brett Favre

:rofl:

The Six(ty) Million Dollar Man

"We have the Technology"

"Better. Faster. Stronger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

(Sorry. Embedding is disabled)

Godfather
05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
My office is across the street from the Favre family compound, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread.

Brett Favre.

smokin3000gt
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
:rofl:

"We have the Technology"

"Bretter. Faster. Stronger"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

(Sorry. Embedding is disabled)

fixed it for ya :wink02:

vasteeler
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
and I still stand by it

I know that we all make fun of The Favre on this board, but let's keep things in perspective...

He can take a pounding and get right back up----without complaining or petitioning the refs for a flag

His decisions to retire and unretire, while a bit annoying, ARE his decisions---and no one elses. His legacy (as he has said) is His, and no one elses.

Put yourself in his position----you have just finished a season and you are BANGED up (especially at 39-40). You might just say to yourself, "I've had enough". But several months go by and you're feeling better and you realize that you still have something left. You are a professional quarterback ( and a damn good one) and you have the opportunity to play The Game You Love (the one you have been playing at a very high level since you were a child) for at least One More Year. The opportunity to get back to The Big Dance in January/February. The opportunity to hoist the Lombardi one more time; to get One More Ring.

Who on this board wouldn't take that opportunity? Because I know I would...and I wouldn't give a rat's a$$ who cared or got annoyed. And neither does Brett Favre.

Brett Favre

i agree, if i were in his shoes i would probably be wishy washy as well. it got to be hard giving up something you love to do

Indo
05-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Indo

"We have the Technology"

"Bretter. Faster. Stronger"

fixed it for ya :wink02:

:toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I really hate a guy who has played 18 seasons as an NFL QB and NEVER missed a game. Not to mention playing at the age of 40, having his best season ever and playing better than most QB's in the league. What's not to hate?:coffee:

I hate a guy that models his life after a hard nosed father and football coach (Big Irv Favre).........then sullies his memory by tearfully retiring and unretiring more often than Michael Jordan.

If Big Irv Favre was alive, he would probably call his son a ***** and a drama queen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Do you hate Ben?

Do you?? Oh, wait a minute.........I think I remember the answer to this one.

GBMelBlount
05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I will ALWAYS respect Brett Favre.

I believe despite his age and health he is so competitive and loves the game so much he can't let go.

Because it is due to his love for the Game I will give him a "pass".

GBMelBlount
05-07-2010, 07:47 PM
and I still stand by it

Brett Favre

Exactly Indo! (I read this after I posted.)

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I will ALWAYS respect Brett Favre.

I believe despite his age and health he is so competitive and loves the game so much he can't let go.

Because it is due to his love for the Game I will give him a "pass".

I think its because of his "love of the attention", that he cant let it go.

If he loved the game and was a student of the game, he would not throw INT's across his body to seal the fate of his teams (Vikings last year and Packers in 07). If he loved the game, he would not hold out and procrastinate until training camp is over to unretire.

Franco Harris, Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith tarnished their legacy by playing too long, but they never left their teams with question marks of if they will play or not.......year after year. For that I have no respect for Favre, as there is no I in Team and he is self centered.

Godfather
05-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I think its because of his "love of the attention", that he cant let it go.

If he loved the game and was a student of the game, he would not throw INT's across his body to seal the fate of his teams (Vikings last year and Packers in 07). If he loved the game, he would not hold out and procrastinate until training camp is over to unretire.

Franco Harris, Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith tarnished their legacy by playing too long, but they never left their teams with question marks of if they will play or not.......year after year. For that I have no respect for Favre, as there is no I in Team and he is self centered.

I blame the Vikings' play calling on that last series. They put Brett in a situation where he had to throw, and it turned into a pick.

GBMelBlount
05-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Great cliche'.

I disagree that there is no "I" whatsoever in most great athletes....

or that most people that achieve greatness are not normally self centered to a degree...

We will agree to disagree. :drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2010, 01:31 AM
Great cliche'.

I disagree that there is no "I" whatsoever in most great athletes....

or that most people that achieve greatness are not normally self centered to a degree...

We will agree to disagree. :drink:
I agree that to be great you have to sacrifice and at times be selfish. But everybody likes to paint Favre as this great team player. Did he help mentor Aaron Rodgers??? NO. Has he threatened to/hinted at retirement each of the last 5 seasons with 3 different teams? Yes.

I cant respect a guy like that and we will agree to disagree. :drink:

Galax Steeler
05-08-2010, 04:17 AM
I hate a guy that models his life after a hard nosed father and football coach (Big Irv Favre).........then sullies his memory by tearfully retiring and unretiring more often than Michael Jordan.

If Big Irv Favre was alive, he would probably call his son a ***** and a drama queen.

Agreed El-Gonzo it is time for him to go and quit messing with evryones mind.

Godfather
05-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Did he help mentor Aaron Rodgers??? NO.

That's a fair criticism to some extent, but I'm not sure Favre would be a good mentor for a young quarterback anyway. He takes too many risks and forces too many throws...the gunslinger style works for him and Big Ben, but most QBs can't play that way and be successful.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2010, 11:53 PM
That's a fair criticism to some extent, but I'm not sure Favre would be a good mentor for a young quarterback anyway. He takes too many risks and forces too many throws...the gunslinger style works for him and Big Ben, but most QBs can't play that way and be successful.

To be a good mentor, a QB can help young guys with pre snap reads and identifying defenses, then how to best attack them. By all accounts, Favre has never done this with Rodgers, T. Jackson, JD Booty, Kellen Clemens, or anybody that has played behind him.

He is all about himself and how he can create the most attention/drama for Favre. His retiring would be equivalent to Kate Gosselin finally having her 15 minutes of fame over.

LambertIsGod58
05-09-2010, 07:26 AM
To be a good mentor, a QB can help young guys with pre snap reads and identifying defenses, then how to best attack them. By all accounts, Favre has never done this with Rodgers, T. Jackson, JD Booty, Kellen Clemens, or anybody that has played behind him.

That's funny. According to NFL Radio....they say different.

LambertIsGod58
05-09-2010, 07:28 AM
What boggles my mind is that so many people hate Favre because of the yearly drama of playing or not. But they still love Ben who has been accused of rape more than once.

vasteeler
05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
What boggles my mind is that so many people hate Favre because of the yearly drama of playing or not. But they still love Ben who has been accused of rape more than once.

hey , you raped me twice!!!

now should every one hate you too??

LambertIsGod58
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM

What's next? The you're rubber and I'm glue defense?:coffee:

vasteeler
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
What's next? The you're rubber and I'm glue defense?:coffee:

No, and please dont think im an ass for using that example. any body can accuse any body of anything.

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2010, 03:12 PM

did you file a police report ? :sofunny:

vasteeler
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM

:buttkick:

Indo
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM

NO, Dummy! One of his friends filed it for him! After all, they were in the same building when it happened

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2010, 04:50 PM
:buttkick:

well damn....he's not a catholic priest ...he should be held accountable ...:chuckle:

HughC
05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
I want Favre to return so he can get the NFL all-time record for fumbles, to go along with his NFL all-time record for interceptions.

steelerdude15
05-20-2010, 01:25 PM
I want Favre to return so the opening game will be a good one.

polamalubeast
05-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Favre Watch

steelax04
05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, now he's leaving it up to a college baseball team...

Favre hangs NFL future on CWSEmail Print Comments86 Associated Press

HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- Brett Favre says he still isn't sure what he's doing next season, but he may have given some indication after visiting with the Southern Miss baseball team.

The Minnesota Vikings quarterback told the Golden Eagles on Thursday morning that if they can make it back to the College World Series for the second straight year, he will return for one more season in the NFL.

Favre has left fans hanging since the Vikings lost to New Orleans in the NFC Championship game. He signed a two-year contract with the Vikings before last season. Coach Brad Childress hasn't talked with Favre recently except by text message.

Southern Miss players have a lot of work to do if they want to force Favre into action. They are 30-20 and need wins to earn a postseason invitation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5205640

Godfather
05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Brett Favre.