PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich Steelers No. 1 quarterback, at least for today

polamalubeast
04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Leftwich Steelers No. 1 quarterback, at least for today
Friday, April 30, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Quarterback Byron Leftwich took his turn with the first-team offense in the Steelers first minicamp practice today, and it could be a sign of coach Mike Tomlin's plans to open the season when he will be without Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers re-acquired Leftwich in a trade with Tampa Bay before the draft, and he said not to take anything seriously yet about how the quarterbacks were used in the first minicamp practice.

Dennis Dixon, however, said he believes the rotation will remain the way it was this morning with him second behind Leftwich. Charlie Batch ran third.

The Steelers have to prepare another quarterback to start at least the first four games of the season. Commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Roethlisberger the first four to six games. Leftwich backed up Roethlisberger during the 2008 season after Batch went on injured reserve, and then signed with the Bucs as a free agent last year.

Tomlin also wasted little time in re-installing Bryant McFadden as his starting left cornerback. McFadden started there before he left as a free agent last year to sign with Arizona. The Steelers acquired him from the Cardinals in a trade Saturday.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10120/1054505-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0mbcogCO0

steelerdude15
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I figured that Leftwich is going to be our starter... I hope we just win those games.

CanadianSteel
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I realize this is only the first Mini camp workout, but hopefully they give Dixon a chance to win the job sharing equal time with first stringers in pre-season ........and let the best man win.

PhantomJB93
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Dixon = more exciting
Leftiwch = better QB

I hope Leftwich is the starter come opening day, dont get me wrong I want to see some Dixon plays but I REALLY dont want him in charge of this offense for the first 6 weeks. In 08 Leftwich played almost as well, if not better, then Ben when he was filling in.

mikeyg
04-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Dixon = more exciting
Leftiwch = better QB

I hope Leftwich is the starter come opening day, dont get me wrong I want to see some Dixon plays but I REALLY dont want him in charge of this offense for the first 6 weeks. In 08 Leftwich played almost as well, if not better, then Ben when he was filling in.

IDTS (that is my 12 yr olds text talk for: i don't think so)

Ben got hurt vs. the Skins on that Monday night and Lefty gave us a needed lift - he hit on all cylinders that night. Ben was struggling for sure - the O was ABYSMAL - but it was a lot that year, if we all remember.

But better? Please........let's not start revisionist history. When else did he play? I don't think he saw the field again the rest of the year.

SteelKid212
04-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Leftwich Steelers No. 1 quarterback, at least for today
Friday, April 30, 2010

Tomlin also wasted little time in re-installing Bryant McFadden as his starting left cornerback. McFadden started there before he left as a free agent last year to sign with Arizona. The Steelers acquired him from the Cardinals in a trade Saturday.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10120/1054505-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0mbcogCO0

pheewww.... thats a relief!!! :applaudit:

mikeyg
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
pheewww.... thats a relief!!! :applaudit:

that's a fact - i hope to never see Gay starting again - and he might be in greater jeopardy than that. Hope Lewis or Burnett comes on strong and VERY SOON

SteelKnight
04-30-2010, 02:18 PM
that's a fact - i hope to never see Gay starting again - and he might be in greater jeopardy than that. Hope Lewis or Burnett comes on strong and VERY SOON

Me too. I was hoping both...lol I want Gay pushed to 5th CB.

I feel that having Leftwich will make Dixon take a more laid back approach and be less serious about winning the spot. If he new he AD to be the guy, I think he would develop more.

Third Rail
04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
I say trade Gay to the Vikes so AP can use him as a tackling dummy. He's good at that.

JCPsteelers
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM
HAHA Dixon fans.. He's a backup so get used to it.. Once Big Ben comes back Dixon goes to the 3rd team..:tt03:

AllD
04-30-2010, 03:05 PM
It's bad news for Dixon if he cannot displace Lefty. I would have expected him to move ahead with the opportunity of a lifetime within his grasp. Maybe Tomlin is trying to motivate him to leave nothing on the practice field.

Steeldude
04-30-2010, 03:24 PM
replacing one CB with a CB who played worse in 2009

i hope this isn't another case of just handing starting jobs out without having to earn them.

HometownGal
04-30-2010, 03:29 PM
:applaudit: :thumbsup: :applaudit:

Lefty, imho, gives us our best chance to win those games without Ben under center. I'm sure Dixon can continue to learn a lot from both Lefty and Batch for when he is ready to take over the reins. :hatsoff:

SteelGhost
04-30-2010, 03:31 PM

i hope this isn't another case of just handing starting jobs out without having to earn them.

Good point Steeldude :thumbsup:. IMHO Leftwich MUST win the spot through training camp and preseason. I like the guy, but remember he was beaten in Tampa by a rookie :noidea:

The same should be applied for CB, I agree Gay sucked, but the spot must be earned not just handled.

BlastFurnace
04-30-2010, 03:33 PM

McFadden is a good CB. He'll show it again this year.

It's quite an indictment that the team believes that Gay can't cut it as a starter.

LukesDad88
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
From the Steelers Official Facebook Page:

It could turn out to mean nothing, but in the first practice of Steelers minicamp on Friday morning, Byron Leftwich was the QB with the first-team offense. And shortly into team drills, Leftwich showed off his strong arm with a deep touchdown pass to Mike Wallace in which he hit the receiver in stride.

polamalubeast
04-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Ward: Roethlisberger's suspension "justified"
April 30, 2010

PITTSBURGH (AP) -Wide receiver Hines Ward said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's six-game suspension is disappointing but justified, and it could leave the Pittsburgh Steelers in a precarious position when the season begins.

Because the Steelers already know Roethlisberger can't return until October, Ward said it's a cause for concern on a team that considers itself of Super Bowl quality despite missing the playoffs last season.

"I don't know how the season's going to go. That's what is uneasy, the uncertainty," Ward said Friday. "As of now we don't have a starting quarterback. It's kind of like quarterback by committee, and so the uncertainty of that issue plays on a lot of guys' minds. You don't know who your starting quarterback is."

Roethlisberger was suspended last week for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, a punishment resulting from a March 3 incident in which he was accused of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old college student in a Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub. He was not charged.

Ward wouldn't apologize for his teammate's actions, saying, "I think the suspension is justified - it is what it is. ... Is it disappointing? Yes."

Still, Ward believes Roethlisberger will quickly win back his teammates' confidence and respect once he returns. What worries Ward is what the Steelers will do without one of the NFL's proven big-game quarterbacks, even if it's for only a quarter of the season.

Roethlisberger is certain to miss games against the Falcons, Titans, Buccaneers and Ravens, and could sit out against the Browns and Dolphins. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell could shorten the suspension to four games once Roethlisberger undergoes a league-mandated behavioral evaluation and any treatment that results from it.

"Life's all about trials and tribulations," Ward said as the Steelers began their mandatory three-day minicamp without Roethlisberger. "Everyone on this team has been through adversity at one period of time and that's what's so special about football. This is the one place you can come and get away from your problems, kind of leave all of that baggage at home. We'll welcome him with open arms. He's still our quarterback and he doesn't have to win over anybody."

Coach Mike Tomlin moved quickly to settle the who's-the-quarterback-for-now debate by inserting the newly returned Byron Leftwich with the starters. Dennis Dixon, who has started only one NFL game, ran with the second unit, and longtime backup Charlie Batch was next in line.

Dixon doesn't believe Tomlin will rotate the quarterbacks, even though the season doesn't begin for more than four months.

Leftwich was a backup when the Steelers won the Super Bowl during the 2008 season. He was reacquired in a trade with Tampa Bay week, hours after the Roethlisberger suspension was announced, and quickly signed a one-year extension through 2011.

Another question: How will Roethlisberger play once he returns from so long a layoff? Defensive lineman Casey Hampton is convinced the two-time Super Bowl winner won't have trouble finding his rhythm.

Despite being suspended, Roethlisberger can practice during training camp and play in preseason games once he passes the behavioral evaluation.

"I definitely know that if he comes in in shape and does what he's supposed he'll do, he'll win games for us. It's not a big deal," Hampton said. "I know Ben isn't a bad guy, he just made some mistakes."

Safety Troy Polamalu declined to answer when asked if Roethlisberger let his teammates down by getting into trouble, but also predicted the quarterback's comeback will be successful.

"I think there's a lot of great examples of guys that are really good guys, like Tom Brady, but there also are examples of what Ben is going to be able to do - to show how much he can turn his life around," Polamalu said. "He's going through a tough time by not being here."

In another sign of how unhappy Tomlin was with the Steelers' 9-7 record last season, he reinserted cornerback Bryant McFadden with the regulars ahead of returning starter William Gay. McFadden returned to Pittsburgh in a trade on Saturday after spending one season with Arizona.

Chidi29
04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Let both (Or all three of them, though Batch winning the job is unlikely) compete for the starting job. None of them are head and shoulders above the rest; there is not point in giving the job to anyone. That'll just create complacency.

As others have said, let the best man win.

And if I had to guess, Leftwich started over Dixon because Leftwich is a vet.

Steelerfreak58
04-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Dixon deserves a shot if he can hit the long ball which from what I have seen of his arm it isn't an issue. Lefty does have a powerful arm but too much of a load up time with a long swing.

Riddle_Of_Steel
04-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Dixon deserves a shot if he can hit the long ball which from what I have seen of his arm it isn't an issue. Lefty does have a powerful arm but too much of a load up time with a long swing.

I personally like Leftoversandwich-- is nice to have a 1st Round draftee for a backup QB as well and he performed well last year in relief of Big Ben. His only problem (besides being an immobile statue) is his crazy wind-up before he throws and he does not know how to throw the ball with some "touch". Even if it is just a 8 yard dump pass to the TE or FB, he throws it so hard, you can hear the "clack" when it hits the receiver's pads and hands....

KeiselPower99
04-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Lets go Leftwich!

steelwalls
04-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Lefty is the right choice here. Less question marks???

What I find interesting is that if Ben completes his evaluation before hand he could play in preseason games.. here's my question, do you let him?

Nadroj 20
04-30-2010, 09:10 PM
This is the first workout guys lets not dub lefty the official starter quite yet.

IMO Dixon is better and gives us the best chance, hes the better athlete and knows the offense just as well if not better then lefty, and we can run more offensivley with Dixon with his running abilities.

I understand it was with Tampa Bay, but Leftwich could not cut it there and im not ready to just give him the starting job here.

tube517
05-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Like they say, it's a good problem to have if you have "too many" QB's who can step in. And on the Post Gazette interview w/Leftwich, it looked like Batch was "coaching" out there. Of course it was 10 seconds.

I don't have a preference although Leftwich can still gun it even w/the slow windup. And DD brings the mobility factor. I still can't wait for the first game.

:popcorn:

steeltheone
05-01-2010, 08:06 PM
This is the first workout guys lets not dub lefty the official starter quite yet.

IMO Dixon is better and gives us the best chance, hes the better athlete and knows the offense just as well if not better then lefty, and we can run more offensivley with Dixon with his running abilities.

I understand it was with Tampa Bay, but Leftwich could not cut it there and im not ready to just give him the starting job here.

Dixon is better with 1 NFL start....Hmmm? Macfadden could not cut it with the Cardinals, should we have traded for him?

MexicanSteel
05-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Take it easy !!.. its just minicamp. the best QB is gonna start
and if I got to bet, Id do it for DIXON

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Dixon is better with 1 NFL start....Hmmm? Macfadden could not cut it with the Cardinals, should we have traded for him?

McFadden is still and upgrade over Gay and i think he will be fine.

1 NFL start or not you have to start somewhere dont you? I feel Dixon gives us more options simple as that.