PDA

View Full Version : Steelers daily digest: Ohio State's Thaddeus Gibson is a player

mesaSteeler
04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Steelers daily digest: Ohio State's Thaddeus Gibson is a player
April 30, 5:25 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d30-Steelers-daily-digest-Ohio-States-Thaddeus-Gibson-is-a-player

PITTSBURGH, PA. - If there is one thing the Steelers are known for, its turning good collegiate defensive lineman into great outside linebackers.

LaMarr Woodley a Pro Bowler, just one to come to mind.

Could Ohio State product Thaddeus Gibson be the next in that mix? The Steelers might think so, as they took Gibson, who played on the defensive line for the Buckeyes with the 116th overall pick of the 2010 draft and plan on switching him to the outside linebacker slot.

"He will be playing at outside linebacker for us," Linebackers coach Keith Butler said. "He played some defensive end like a lot of the guys we take at outside linebacker. He stood up some for Ohio State. They do some similar things to what we do. Its not like were seeing him at the position for the first time. This guy, Gibson, stood up in their package and so hes done some of the things were going to ask him to do."

At Ohio State, although he played on the line, it was in the Leo defensive end slot, where he rushed the passer and dropped into coverage which is very similar to the Steelers 3-4 scheme.

Gibson was a key player in the fact the Buckeyes were once again contenders for the national championship in 2009 as Ohio State improved from their 18th-place ranking vs. the run in 2008 (110.23 ypg.) to seventh last season (90.77 ypg). showing an ability to excel in both run and pass situations.

He started 23-of-35 games at Ohio State 13 at left defensive end and 10 on the right side and finished his career with 82 tackles (49 solos), 10 sacks for minus 55 yards and 25.0 stops for losses totaling 86 yards.

Gibson led Ohio State with 13.0 TFL last season and 4.0 sacks. He recorded 3.0 sacks against Minnesota last season, one shy of the school record.

"Ive always liked the Steelers. The defensive coordinator is from Ohio State I met him a couple years ago, hes just a great guy and Im happy to be playing for him" Gibson said. "This is a blessing, and theyre coached by a great linebacker that played professional football for awhile and there are obviously great linebackers that play there now. Im just excited for the opportunity and ready to go."

Butler said one of the things the Steelers liked about Gibson is how much he grew over the 2009 season from start to finish. Asked about it, Gibson attributed it to his coaching at Ohio State.

"It was easy to do at a place like Ohio State because thats something that we work for, week-in and week-out," Gibson said. "Being coached up by (Linebacker Coach) Luke Fickell and Coach (Def. Coord.) Jim Hea**** and the rest of the defensive coaching staff was something that everybody did. Im excited [and] keep pushing for greatness."

Surprisingly growing up in the Northeast Ohio area, which is Browns country, Gibson was not a Cleveland fan or of football in general.

"Honestly, I wasnt really an NFL football fan," Gibson said. "I followed a lot of basketball. But I can be honest and tell you that I was never a huge Browns fan at all. As a matter of fact, I became a Steelers fan not too long ago maybe a year or two ago."

Dino 6 Rings
04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Got to hope he can tackle on kickoff and then learn the complicated Lebeau defensive system.

Could be a diamond drafted late. Welcome to the Burgh Kid!

MasterOfPuppets
04-30-2010, 04:12 PM
didn't we read these same hype articles about alonzo jackson and bruce davis ? :noidea:

solardave
04-30-2010, 04:43 PM
didn't we read these same hype articles about alonzo jackson and bruce davis ? :noidea:

3rd time's a charm.

pete74
04-30-2010, 05:47 PM
think Gibson and worilds are both going to be good linebackers in the future

Psyychoward86
04-30-2010, 09:42 PM
half of our draft is sleeper picks. I like this one :)

GBMelBlount
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM

We read hype articles on every draft pick.

Remember, the glass is always half full until they suck. :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Gibson is going to be a beast. Just watch, he's no Alonzo Jackson or Bruce Davis.

AllD
05-01-2010, 05:16 AM
Hopefully he plays more like a Gibson Les Paul than a Freddy Gibson.

steelerdave1969
05-01-2010, 06:39 AM
3rd time's a charm.

I think the Steelers remember those days of Alonzo Jackson and Davis, but you cant let that change the way that you draft and look at each player. OLB to the Steelers is as important pretty much as a star QB for the offense. The Steelers defense goes pretty much as far with their star LB's as the offense goes with QB Big Ben. I love the fact that the Steelers havent changed their ways on how they draft their LB's and over time there are more Stars than Busts.

PalmerSteel
05-01-2010, 04:32 PM
i hope not, but you never know: this could be our starting left OLB next year

revefsreleets
05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Sad to see some members hating on a player simply because of the school he attended. It's difficult to be more short-sighted than that...

steelerohio
05-03-2010, 10:17 PM
As an Ohio State fan, I believ ethis guy will be good for the Steelers... I have to say he's a good pick...

tony hipchest
05-03-2010, 11:50 PM
holy irony and uber paranoia, batman!

talk about reaching for a slight where there is none...

ive only seen one person make disparaging remarks about gibson on this board and it was the resident OSU homer guru himself-

A word about the Buckeyes in this mock. I'd rather pick up Lawrence Wilson as a late (like last) round or even UDFA. He's got tremendous upside IF he can stay healthy. He could gain some wright and play DE or lose some weight and shift to OLB. I'd rather have him for next to nothing than take the chance with Thad Gibson.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=804710#post804710

i guess its not too difficult to be more short'sighted than "that".

revefsreleets
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I stand by that...I think Wilson is every bit as good if he stays injury free. The Bears signed him as an UDFA. MOP detests Ohio State players, so I was merely calling the ace an ace...

Nice try, bunker map...

tony hipchest
05-06-2010, 12:23 AM
dont try blowing smoke up our asses. you werent trying to "call an ace an ace". you were desperately grasping at straws, looking for a slight that simply wasnt there.

fact of the matter is, the same things WERE said about 2nd round pick jackson or 3rd round pick davis.

fact is your boy, who wasnt your boy, who now all of a sudden is your boy, is a 4th round pick.

most people seem excited to have him in the B&G.

some are simply taking a wait and see approach (as opposed to crowning the likes of r. colclough *cough cough*)

you woulda prefered an injury prone UDFA (who you dont even know should be a DE or OLB) as opposed to drafting thad.

that is your stance. be a man and own it. dont cowher behind the snively diversion and deflection you are trying to use.

:shower: you need a map to a bunker to go hide in? :couch:

:busted:.....:applaudit:

revefsreleets
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Listen, bunker map. This is a perfect example of you making a mountain (Maybe Joe Biden's bunker lies here?) out of a molehill simply because I have this nasty little habit of continuing to point out that 90% of what you post is garbage.

Lawrence Wilson is a stud. He's big and strong and fast and mean, and the reason he dropped like a rock was he spent most of his college career injured. I like Thad Gibson. I think he's a Helluva player, but I'm saying Wilson is every bit as good and could be had for nothing.

Stop trying to pick apart what I say and make it into something else. I know these players MUCH better than you. I watched Wilson play in High School fore Christ's sake, and watched every single down of football both played for the last several years, so, for just ONCE, STFU when someone who knows 100X more about the subject is talking.

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Listen, bunker map. This is a perfect example of you making a mountain (Maybe Joe Biden's bunker lies here?) out of a molehill simply because I have this nasty little habit of continuing to point out that 90% of what you post is garbage.

Lawrence Wilson is a stud. He's big and strong and fast and mean, and the reason he dropped like a rock was he spent most of his college career injured. I like Thad Gibson. I think he's a Helluva player, but I'm saying Wilson is every bit as good and could be had for nothing.

Stop trying to pick apart what I say and make it into something else. I know these players MUCH better than you. I watched Wilson play in High School fore Christ's sake, and watched every single down of football both played for the last several years, so, for just ONCE, STFU when someone who knows 100X more about the subject is talking.
so then...ummmm.....you know more / better, than the steelers do ??? :coffee:
:busted::busted::busted: whats that "armchair" thing you like to throw around at everybody elses opinion that goes against the FO ?

revefsreleets
05-06-2010, 12:09 PM
so then...ummmm.....you know more / better, than the steelers do ??? :coffee:
:busted::busted::busted: whats that "armchair" thing you like to throw around at everybody elses opinion that goes against the FO ?

Nice try. Let me type more slowly for you and your braintrust mentor:

Lawrence Wilson was INJURED for the better part of his college career.
I-N-J-U-R-E-D.

2007 YSU game (opener) suffered a season ending injury when his leg was broken.
2008 Suffered torn ligaments in the Purdue game, ending his season.

Since this is yet another teaching moment in a long series of teaching moments for playpen members, I'll go ahead and tell you more. Wilson was at one point considered the Buckeyes best DL, and that is a group that included Cam Heyward, Thad Gibson, and Vern Gholston. He struggled back and the Bears gave him a clean bill of health. I don't doubt the injuries scared the Steelers away, and I'm not second guessing them. I simply stated that I'd be happy with him as an UDFA because he is every bit as good as Gibson, barring another injury. This is an educated opinion based on watching the kid play for YEARS, even in person, several times. So, being a Google expert won't really help much in this case, I'm sorry to say...

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
sure sounds like a second guess to me...so you weren't suggesting the steelers could have had a player of equal skills for a lower price ?

I like Thad Gibson. I think he's a Helluva player, but I'm saying Wilson is every bit as good and could be had for nothing.

your back pedal rivals any DB in the NFL ....:thumbsup:

revefsreleets
05-06-2010, 01:34 PM
sure sounds like a second guess to me...so you weren't suggesting the steelers could have had a player of equal skills for a lower price ?

your back pedal rivals any DB in the NFL ....:thumbsup:

Yes, I am suggesting that, say, 3 years from now BARRING FURTHER INJURY, Wilson will be every bit as good as Gibson. 32 other teams avoided him in the draft because of the injury, too.

Really, you two need to do better than this. I made the statement, and I stand behind it 100%. Wilson is as good as Gibson. He's 30 lbs heavier, 2 inches taller, and his low 40 times was only 2 1/100's of a second slower than Gibson. He can play DE or OLB (although the Bears will obviously use him as a DE). His injury wrecked his draft stock.

You can't twist this one around and make me say things I didn't say, because I have already clearly said that Wilson is as good as Gibson. Wilson is as good as Gibson. See? I did it again. How you two nits can say I'm backpeddling is beyond me, but then 80% of what you guys post is nonsensical tripe, so why would this be any different.

revefsreleets
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Continuing the teaching moment opportunity for some of the slower members...

Here's a list of UDFA's who have had success. More than one of these guys had college injuries play a role in them dropping off the draft radar. There are a few HOFers on here:
Priest Holmes
Bart Scott
Dominic Rhodes
Jeff Reed
Willie Parker
Rod Smith
Jeff Saturday
Gary Brackett
Jim Leonhard
James Harrison
Brandon Moore
Jake Delhomme
Jeff Garcia
Kurt Warner
Josh Cribbs
Tony Romo
Nate Newton
Warren Moon
Marion Motley
Wes Welker
Wayne Chebret
John Randle
London Fletcher
Emmitt Thomas
Dick Lane
Donnie Shell

And I could go on and on and on....

tony hipchest
05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
This is an educated opinion based on watching the kid play for YEARS, even in person, several times. So, being a Google expert won't really help much in this case, I'm sorry to say...

:toofunny: now i KNOW youre using THAT term loosely, right ted ginn?

youre right about 1 thing though...

being a google expert wont help you.

cute deflectionary list of UDFA players anyways. :thumbsup:

:busted:

Lawrence Wilson is a stud. He's big and strong and fast and mean, and the reason he dropped like a rock was he spent most of his college career injured.

holy that"s the uberghey, batman!!! where'd you pick up that femlingo?

you do know what "stud" is, right?

either you find him extremely sexually verile and attractive or you admit he is like a once great atheletic racehorse, who is broken down, can no longer compete, and has been put out to pasture, for nothing more than genetic breeding purposes.

its sad that some homer members are so quick to perceive a slight where there isnt one, that they embarrass themselves creating one.

:whip:

Prok
05-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Steelers fans bickering = clowns fans smiling.

Now I ask again: Who on God's green earth wants a clown fan to smile ??

:chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
I like Thad Gibson and am happy that we "took a chance" on him. I think that he has a motor and plays the way you want to see a kid play before drafting him.

Bruce Davis looked weak and ran around blocks in his UCLA tape. Then he showed up to camp and played at half speed. Alonzo Jackson just didnt seem to play with the intensity that was needed to succeed, almost paralyzed by thinking of his assignments. I think Worlids and Gibson will be good backups that can play ST this season.

revefsreleets
05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
:toofunny: now i KNOW youre using THAT term loosely, right ted ginn?

youre right about 1 thing though...

being a google expert wont help you.

cute deflectionary list of UDFA players anyways. :thumbsup:

:busted:

holy that"s the uberghey, batman!!! where'd you pick up that femlingo?

you do know what "stud" is, right?

either you find him extremely sexually verile and attractive or you admit he is like a once great atheletic racehorse, who is broken down, can no longer compete, and has been put out to pasture, for nothing more than genetic breeding purposes.

its sad that some homer members are so quick to perceive a slight where there isnt one, that they embarrass themselves creating one.

:whip:

This is a 100% "Bunker Map Quality" post. Homo smack...just a couple weeks after flaming me for the same. Exceptionally lame....

St33lersguy
05-07-2010, 02:38 PM
And none of that means a thing because this guy and Worilds are going to sit on the bench for years. Instead of drafting projects they should have drafted defensive linemen, they need to get youth before all the old guys die out

Aussie_steeler
05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
And none of that means a thing because this guy and Worilds are going to sit on the bench for years. Instead of drafting projects they should have drafted defensive linemen, they need to get youth before all the old guys die out

6 young guys on D line ---- Ziggy Hood, Rashon Harris, Steve McClendon, Doug Worthington, Scott Paxson and Cordarrow Thompson.

5 old guys on D line --- Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Kiesel, Chris Hoke and Nick Eason

Realistically the starting 3 are getting on in age. But the 3-4 D line is not designed around the need for young dynamic players, but more about 3 solid performers who take up blockers and contain the run.

I think the balance is pretty good for the year ahead.

I honestly thought that there was no real depth behind Woodley and Harrison. Yes the guys behind them were safe backups but they were never going to suddenly burst on the scene and become all-pro calibre pass rushers in the future,

St33lersguy
05-08-2010, 07:01 AM
6 young guys on D line ---- Ziggy Hood, Rashon Harris, Steve McClendon, Doug Worthington, Scott Paxson and Cordarrow Thompson.

5 old guys on D line --- Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Brett Kiesel, Chris Hoke and Nick Eason

Realistically the starting 3 are getting on in age. But the 3-4 D line is not designed around the need for young dynamic players, but more about 3 solid performers who take up blockers and contain the run.

I think the balance is pretty good for the year ahead.

I honestly thought that there was no real depth behind Woodley and Harrison. Yes the guys behind them were safe backups but they were never going to suddenly burst on the scene and become all-pro calibre pass rushers in the future,

A solid balance until we find out that most of the current young guys can't play. Most of those young guys are not our future they are not decent players

markymarc
05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I was very happy to get Thad Gibson in the 4th round :tt02:

revefsreleets
05-10-2010, 03:43 PM
A solid balance until we find out that most of the current young guys can't play. Most of those young guys are not our future they are not decent players

The same EXACT thing was said about Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith at one point. Smith was a 4th, and Keisel was a 7th.

Patience, Daniel-san....