PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play a Game...

Chidi29
04-30-2010, 11:00 PM
My apologies for the hook thread. Hopefully a catchier title will increase views since the bland one on the same issue didn't generate much talk.

The game is this:

How much guaranteed money would you give LaMarr Woodley?

Reason being, he is in the last year of his contract. And as I previously talked about (http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49962), Woodley falls into the 30% rule. If the base salary and my understanding of the rules are correct, this will cause a boatload of problems.

*These numbers are all based on the figures provided on Rotoworld and may not turn out to be accurate if there are escalators that were previously reached*

Woodley is set to make 550K this year in base salary. That's it.

James Harrison got a six year deal. DeMarcus Ware got seven. Assume that Woodley wants a six year deal. The base salaries, at their max, would look as follows.

Year 1: 715 K
Year 2: 929.5 K
Year 3: 1.208
Year 4: 1.570
Year 5: 2.041
Year 6: 2.653

That's a grand total of: 9.1165 million in base salary.

James Harrison got a $51 million contract. $20 million of that is guaranteed. Ware got $68 million and $34 guaranteed (prorated over six years).

There is no way Woodley would settle for Harrison's twenty million guaranteed. Not a chance do we get him for 6/30. No way do we get him for 6/35 (25 million guaranteed).

Especially with a guy like Elvis Dumervil who will also become a UFA. He'll just end up increasing the price it'll cost if he signs first.

One other thought. I think we're going to be a in tough spot with that guaranteed money. You have to give the guy a market value deal, but can you justify giving him more guaranteed than what Ware got? That could be one impass that the agent and the team will bicker over for weeks (I want fair market value! Well we aren't giving you more money than a guy who is better than you!).

This isn't to say that Woodley doesn't deserve a big payday, he obviously does, but the investment might be too much. Especially since he knows other teams will be offering him large contracts if he were to hit the market.

Worilds played entirely at LE his career. He could be the perfect target to replace Woodley.

To put this in perspective based on events that just happened, Kevinn Kolb, also a victim of the rule, just got a $12 million GUARANTEED extension for one year. Just one. Twelve million. Yikes.

One other side note. I've heard some people talk about it, but I don't see how the CBA-less world is going to effect anything. This is actually one of the rules that is being carried over from the old CBA. And the rule is a good idea in general (Preventing teams from backloading contracts and throwing money in there that they'll never see). I've seen some point out the fact that if there is no CBA again next offseason, Woodley will become a RFA. While that's true, I don't think I've heard anybody talk about the possibility of that. I've just heard either a lockout or a new deal (My guess being the latter).

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-30-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm a bit confused. Does the 30% rule only count for player getting extensions? If so could we create a loophole by coming to the terms of a new deal with Woodley and then let his contract expire? Then we resign him and arn't forced to pay out a large portion of hs contract in signing bonuses. It is risky because once he reaches the open market there can really be no telling what he would do (maybe gets offered an outragous deal somewhere else).

Steeldude
05-01-2010, 12:06 AM
let him walk. the steelers will plug another LB in

Chidi29
05-01-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm a bit confused. Does the 30% rule only count for player getting extensions? If so could we create a loophole by coming to the terms of a new deal with Woodley and then let his contract expire? Then we resign him and arn't forced to pay out a large portion of hs contract in signing bonuses. It is risky because once he reaches the open market there can really be no telling what he would do (maybe gets offered an outragous deal somewhere else).

Can't say I know everything about the rule but I guess it only counts if you're under contract. Because I have seen base salaries that are higher than the 30% rule.

You're right about what you said in the second part. And that includes the chance of losing him. You know teams will be callilng him the second free agency starts. Heck, Rex Ryan showed up at Bart Scott's driveway at 12:01 so he could talk to him first.

Davison_K
05-01-2010, 02:52 PM
let him walk. the steelers will plug another LB in

As much as I hate the idea, I think you may be right. I would have preferred they did that with Harrison and kept the guy who is in his mid 20s rather than his early 30s.

AllD
05-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Give him a large one year then sign him to a concurrent long-term deal. The guy played his heart out and deserves it after playing for near minimum.

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Chidi, you are overrating Woodley horribly

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Hardly. Look at the number of sacks by the top five outside linebackers the last two seasons.

DeMarcus Ware: 31

Joey Porter: 26.5

James Harrison: 26

LaMarr Woodley: 25

Elvis Dumervil: 22

Couple that with tackles from the same group.

Jame Harrison: 180

DeMarcus Ware: 141

LaMarr Woodley: 122

Joey Porter: 88

Elvis Dumervil: 73

Bring the fact that he is only entering his fourth season in the league and I would agree with what Chidi is saying. He is going to be a hot commodity on the open market.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-01-2010, 03:47 PM
$1gazzillion

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Hardly. Look at the number of sacks by the top five outside linebackers the last two seasons.

DeMarcus Ware: 31

Joey Porter: 26.5

James Harrison: 26

LaMarr Woodley: 25

Elvis Dumervil: 22

Couple that with tackles from the same group.

Jame Harrison: 180

DeMarcus Ware: 141

LaMarr Woodley: 122

Joey Porter: 88

Elvis Dumervil: 73

Bring the fact that he is only entering his fourth season in the league and I would agree with what Chidi is saying. He is going to be a hot commodity on the open market.

Woodley has the benefit of having one of the league's best pass rushers on the other side. And he plays on a better defense than all of them. You do realize the last two seasons, Harrison's production had always seesawed with Woodley's and vice versa?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-01-2010, 04:42 PM
You do realize the last two seasons, Harrison's production had always seesawed with Woodley's and vice versa?

If the seesaw effect occures, obviously Woodley must be good enough to demand more attention than Harrison does at times. That would only make sense. And whos to say he doesn't put similar numbers on another team?

The point still being Woodley is a young and top rated OLB and is going to be paid near the top of his position(if not number one). The producion is there and if we arn't willing to give Woodley his payday, someone else will. That's how it works in the NFL.

Chidi29
05-01-2010, 05:59 PM

What? I never stated an opinion on what I'd do or my thoughts on the guy.

All I said was the amount it would take to re-sign him. Never said I'd give him a deal like that.