PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed embraces 'new start'

mesaSteeler
04-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Limas Sweed embraces 'new start'
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_679020.html
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Limas Sweed's decision to change to No. 80 is much than just switching jersey numbers.

"It's a new start and a new number," he said Friday. "Can you dig it?"

Sweed hopes the Steelers' coaches dig what they see from a person who labels himself "ready to play some football."

Speaking to the media for the first time since he was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list in December after missing two games with what the team called an undisclosed illness, Sweed said the incident that forced him to miss the final month of the season is no longer an issue.

"I just had some personal things I was going through in my life," he said. "My family and the Steelers helped me get through it. It is water under the bridge. I worked my butt off, and I am ready to get out there and start playing."

Sweed would not say what the illness was but did say he and the organization agreed to cut his season short so he could seek help.

"My family was very supportive, and (the organization) was supportive," he said. "We worked through it, and it is over with."

Fellow receiver Mike Wallace, whose locker is next to Sweed's, said he sees a different man in the way the former Texas star carries himself.

"I see him trying to get better," Wallace said. "He is fighting through all that adversity. ... He's not worried about the past. It looks like he wants to start with a clean slate."

Sweed's brief career with the Steelers appeared to be over after last year. The former second-round draft choice fell out of favor after a handful of key drops during his first two seasons.

He appeared to be the odd man out in March when the Steelers brought in veterans Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle to supplement a position controlled by Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Wallace, last year's rookie sensation.

But when the Steelers traded Holmes to the New York Jets, Sweed's career with the club had new life.

"With Santonio gone, it definitely opened up some spots," Sweed said. "It is an open opportunity to come in and make some plays and show what I got."

Sweed has shown flashes of the talent the Steelers fell in love with, but his inconsistency has hurt him tremendously. He had a key drop his rookie year in the AFC title game against Baltimore and again last year at Cincinnati. Both plays would've resulted in touchdowns.

Sweed has played 20 games in two years but has only seven catches and 69 yards and no scores.

"I feel good," he said. "I felt like I am in college again. I feel fresh. I feel young and real confident. I want to relax and play football and have fun."

Wallace said if Sweed can work through some mental demons, he could turn into a valuable asset.

"Y'all have seen him before. Y'all seen him at Texas," Wallace said. "We all know the physical abilities that he has. If he gets through the mental stuff, then the sky is the limit."

chitownpit
05-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Im done with this experiment. And i cant believe the coaches are'nt as well. He may have been given his 9th live,but i dont see him doing anything with it . There is way too much talent ahead of him. I see him getting enough rope to hang himself

Wallace108
05-01-2010, 12:17 AM
I had very little hope for Sweed, but I believe in redemption. I'm glad to see he addressed his personal issues and I'm really pulling for him, both on the field and off.

chitownpit
05-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Sure,i believe in what your saying. I do to hope he pulls through this,he has the talent. but i just have a tuff time forgeting some of those dropped passes. they were all big drops that really hurt us :banging:

tony hipchest
05-01-2010, 01:18 AM
Sure,i believe in what your saying. I do to hope he pulls through this,he has the talent. but i just have a tuff time forgeting some of those dropped passes. they were all big drops that really hurt us :banging:if people can get over big bens interceptions in the affc game in 04 and the 2 he threw in '05 in the superbowl, :banging: i think sweed has a chance for "redemption".

naturally, people will hate on sweed and hope that he fails.

and naturally others will hope that he pulls things together. if rickey williams can do it, anyone can.

12+88=6
05-01-2010, 01:31 AM
it'd be great if he embraces the ball when thrown to him.

steelerdude15
05-01-2010, 02:08 AM
I wonder what was wrong... could it have been a little bit of a drug problem? :noidea:

SteelerEmpire
05-01-2010, 03:00 AM
God is certainly on this guys side... rarely do you see someone get as many opportunities as him... I'll be pulling for him....

pancake
05-01-2010, 03:22 AM
If Sweed puts it together, then this group doesn't mis a beat with losing Tone...

tube517
05-01-2010, 03:55 AM
He needs to embrace the football

AllD
05-01-2010, 05:06 AM
Maybe a little light finally went on inside his head. IT takes some people longer than others. For sure this is his last season if he cannot hold onto the football.

SteelerFanInATL
05-01-2010, 07:40 AM
I wonder what was wrong... could it have been a little bit of a drug problem? :noidea:

Why even speculate like that. Just know that he had a problem and its over with!! :noidea::noidea::noidea:

zulater
05-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Sweed has most everything you want in a receiver. :tt02: Well except toughness and hands.:chuckle:

Nah, I hope the guy makes it. He has the talent I beleive, if he can just put it together with his hands and heart we got a receiver.

mesaSteeler
05-01-2010, 08:01 AM

I think we would have heard about that. The great and all powerful GODdell would have suspended him.

mesaSteeler
05-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Im done with this experiment. And i cant believe the coaches are'nt as well. He may have been given his 9th live,but i dont see him doing anything with it . There is way too much talent ahead of him. I see him getting enough rope to hang himself

We don't have much to lose to lose by giving him one more chance in training camp. Like Ben though he is on his on his last strike. The worst case scenario would be he does well in training camp and then fall apart under game pressure again.

SteelKnight
05-01-2010, 08:30 AM
if people can get over big bens interceptions in the affc game in 04 and the 2 he threw in '05 in the superbowl, :banging: i think sweed has a chance for "redemption".

naturally, people will hate on sweed and hope that he fails.

and naturally others will hope that he pulls things together. if rickey williams can do it, anyone can.

As long as one is on the team, it is never too late. I never have given up. As long as I know the potential is there, great. I'd rather have it be a mental thing that he got over. Losers lose, winers win. He's been a winner before and can be one again.

I love the attitude and the confidence. That's what I was hoping for. If it makes him come out and play, the Santonio trade could be a blessing. All he has to focus on is beating Randel El and Sanders.

I believe he just needs 3 touchdowns to get the fans behind him and to help is confidence and start him on a streak. I love the fact that Wallace's locker is next to his. I think it could be great for him.

Now let's go get 'em.

Vincent
05-01-2010, 09:22 AM
it'd be great if he embraces the ball when thrown to him.

I'd be thrilled if he just caught it.

tube517
05-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I am not expecting 80 catches/1000 yds/10 TD's from Sweed....but if he can catch 30-40 for a high avg and some red zone/goal line TD's then he can be a huge asset. Even he is just the #3, then BB, Leftwich or DD has a huge target to go along w/Heath.

If Sweed puts it together, then this group doesn't mis a beat with losing Tone...

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Limas Sweed embraces 'new start'
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_679020.html
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Sweed hopes the Steelers' coaches dig what they see from a person who labels himself "ready to play some football."

He better embrace a "new start".....or he will be embracing his ankles.....

I would LOVE to see Sweed break out this year. Lord knows with Santonio gone we really need someone to step up.

Petesburgh66
05-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I hope Sweed can find a way to succeed this year as the Steelers are going to need it to replace Holmes contribution.

GMU Steeler
05-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm rooting for him. Hope he rebounds. Wallace seems like not only is he a good ball player but he's a good teammate too. He doesn't seem to have the "me first" attitude that many of these receivers have and he wants to help Limas out.

Pi Kapp Steeler
05-01-2010, 11:02 AM
6'4 215 pound WR wants to prove himself on the field and we not excited about it????

Steelerfreak58
05-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Personally I think the kid got a pretty raw deal in Pittsburgh. The Fans can be hard assess he didn't have a ton of opportunities to really make up for a couple of drops. Even when he was playing the 3rd position Ben didn't throw to him much. I hope he comes out and is able to show his talent and worth. I would hate to see his career be distinguished by a couple of dropped footballs with no chance of redemption.

devilsdancefloor
05-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Personally I think the kid got a pretty raw deal in Pittsburgh. The Fans can be hard assess he didn't have a ton of opportunities to really make up for a couple of drops. Even when he was playing the 3rd position Ben didn't throw to him much. I hope he comes out and is able to show his talent and worth. I would hate to see his career be distinguished by a couple of dropped footballs with no chance of redemption.

:iagree:

no one says anything about tones drops or even hines drops :noidea:

i hope he makes it he has all the upside int he world. :tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

shinoff2183
05-01-2010, 12:15 PM

You guys are on the right path, took the words right out of my mouth.

pete74
05-01-2010, 12:31 PM

thats because they catch alot more then they drop

BlastFurnace
05-01-2010, 12:52 PM
If Sweed puts it together...Battle's spot on this team is gone.

mesaSteeler
05-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Major changes in Sweed's life
Saturday, May 01, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10121/1054795-66.stm

Limas Sweed switched uniform numbers and hopes for a new lease on his life and the sport he loves to play.

"I feel good, felt like I'm in college again," Sweed said between Steelers minicamp practices Friday. "I feel fresh, feel young, real confident. I'm ready to play some football."

It was the first time Sweed spoke publicly since the Steelers placed the young wide receiver on injured reserve for the final two games last season. The Steelers listed "non-football illness" for the move. Sources reveal Sweed dealt with emotional issues that required professional attention.

Sweed said Friday his leaving the team was a "mutual decision."

"I just had some personal things going on in my life," said Sweed, who shed his old No. 14 for No. 80. "My family and the Steelers helped me get through it, and it's water under the bridge. It was nothing. It's water under the bridge. I'm working my tail off to be out there with the Steelers and have fun."

The Steelers drafted the 6-foot-4 Sweed in the second round from Texas in 2008. He caught eight passes as a rookie, including two in the playoffs, but his drops became more infamous, including one that would have gone for a long touchdown against Baltimore in the AFC championship game.

Last season, rookie Mike Wallace quickly surpassed Sweed to establish himself as the No. 3 receiver. Sweed rarely played; he did not dress for four of the first seven games and caught one pass all season. Again, he dropped what would have been a 34-yard touchdown pass, standing alone in the end zone in a 23-20 loss at Cincinnati.

Sweed has been working out with his teammates much of this year and took the field with them April 19-20 when they had their first OTA practices.

"The guys were very supportive," Sweed said of the time he spent since going on injured reserve.

"My family was supportive. We worked through it."

His expectations for 2010 are "just to play football and have fun."

"Relax, play football and have fun. It feels good. I feel like a kid again, running around, playing a game that I've been playing for a long time.

"It's good to be back. It's good to be around the guys, good to be playing."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10121/1054795-66.stm#ixzz0mhYujRAH

pepsyman1
05-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm all for people getting fresh starts, but it's not like this kid hasn't had opportunities. He simply hasn't made use of them. Is he getting a raw deal? Maybe, but he's made some big time drops in a couple of key situations and then acted immature about it afterwards. We KNOW he can get open, he's got the speed and the reach to be a great target for Ben, but it all comes down to being able to hang onto the ball. So far, I haven't seen that much from him. Great receivers have the ability to fixate on the ball and that level of concentration lets them make the incredible catches we see on highlight reels. Anytime I've seen Sweed catching the ball it appears that the ball is an afterthought and he's paying more attention to what's around him. The other thing that is a concern is he spent a big part of last year on special teams and considering his size and speed I found it really disheartening that I never once heard his name called or saw him anywhere near the action on a special teams play. I hope that I'm wrong and he gets his brain where it needs to be to maximize the rest of his assets, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Second round draft picks don't get raw deals ... they get opportunities and benefits of the doubt.

Let's not excuse this kid...he has failed to do the ONE thing he's asked to do: catch footballs. And if we're "too hard on him" well, then catch them and all that will go away. But I don't feel sorry for him in the least, and nor do I think he's being treated unfairly. I believe the kid has some type of mental issue, and if that's the case, he won't be in the NFL very long - this is not a league for the weak of heart and mind.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Limas Sweed switched uniform numbers .....

Yep.....that should take care of it.:doh:

GoodyTwo
05-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Why all the hate? The guy still rocks a black and gold uniform. Let's hope he got it together and can contribute this season.

MexicanSteel
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
This is your last chance for redemption

if you canīt catch a ball like last season I gotta say BYE BYE

vasteeler
05-01-2010, 05:47 PM
SWEEEEEEEEED :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Why all the hate? The guy still rocks a black and gold uniform. Let's hope he got it together and can contribute this season.

since when is offering a critically objective comment considered "hate?" i want him to succeed, but he's been a failure to this point. he could redeem himself, but i'm inclined to believe that a professional athlete who has "issues" will have a hard battle ahead of him... that's not hate - it's called objectivity.

but i really don't appreciate when people call this "hate"...it's not even close.

pete74
05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Sweed will never be a starter.

AllD
05-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Sweed will be out of the NFL before the end of this season.

BKAnthem
05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Second round draft picks don't get raw deals ... they get opportunities and benefits of the doubt.

Let's not excuse this kid...he has failed to do the ONE thing he's asked to do: catch footballs. And if we're "too hard on him" well, then catch them and all that will go away. But I don't feel sorry for him in the least, and nor do I think he's being treated unfairly. I believe the kid has some type of mental issue, and if that's the case, he won't be in the NFL very long - this is not a league for the weak of heart and mind.

:thumbsup:

Thank You...you guys kill me sometimes....Wallace blew right past dude...you make the most of your chances or you don't...that simple

pete74
05-02-2010, 02:38 PM
and now he is injured and probably out for the year. i say cut him and make room for someone with potential. all you guys want to belive he will be a good wr but its never going to happen. just because he was great in college dosnt mean he will even be good in the nfl. heck, ryan leaf was great in college.

alex
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
We should admit that Limas Sweed has talent

revefsreleets
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
We should admit that Limas Sweed has talent

So does this guy. And he'd be MORE useful to the Steelers this year.
http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/Americas-Got-Talent-night-2.JPG

markymarc
05-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I think it's time to start cheering on Isaiah Williams :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
05-17-2010, 08:00 PM
So does this guy. And he'd be MORE useful to the Steelers this year.
http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/Americas-Got-Talent-night-2.JPG

:sofunny: now THATS funny (and true)...

sweed has a long road ahead of him. its one thing for old immobile statues like marino and testaverde to rebound from an achilles, but its a tall order (no pun intended) for a wr who was drafted for his speed + height.