PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall has reason to dance

mesaSteeler
05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Mendenhall has reason to dance
May, 1, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/12686/rb-mendenhall-dancing-to-success
By James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers are hosting their mandatory minicamp this weekend, and without star quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (suspension), a lot of attention will be focused this offseason on feature tailback Rashard Mendenhall.

The former first-round pick burst on the scene last year by recording 1,108 yards in just 12 starts with the Steelers. Expectations are even higher for the talented Mendenhall this year, especially since the offense likely will focus on the run without Roethlisberger under center to start the season.

"I don't put too much pressure on myself," Mendenhall said. "I just come in and try and work and better myself day. So come time for the season, I'll be ready for anything."

Mendenhall had an interesting offseason routine that he hopes will help him carry the load. Similar to Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco, Mendenhall took dance classes.

Initially, Mendenhall tried dancing after fracturing his shoulder during his rookie season.

"I just wanted something to do to keep moving around that was kind of fun. So I started taking a dance class, and I've been doing it ever since," Mendenhall said. "I feel like it's good exercise, and it strengthens parts of your body that you normally don't work on. Plus, it's more fun than anything."

As the Steelers begin to tweak their offense for the first four or six games of the season, expect Mendenhall to be heavily in the fold. He's only 22 and doesn't have much wear and tear.

Pittsburgh also is looking to get back to the smash-mouth brand that's gotten away from the franchise the past few years. The Steelers drafted talented center/guard Maurkice Pouncey in the first round to help them succeed in the area.

But Pittsburgh's quarterback position remains unsettled. Veteran Byron Leftwich is getting first-team reps in minicamp and is expected to compete with Dennis Dixon in training camp. Charlie Batch also is in the mix.

"As time goes on and we go into camp, we'll start to shape what we do as an offense," Mendenhall said. "But me and the team, we have a lot of confidence in Byron, Dennis, Charlie, whoever steps in there."

(Well dance classes worked for Lynn Swan so why not? I wonder what kind of dance classes he took. - mesa)

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 05:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH5kEBgwur4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zzr_1lEoK4

PhantomJB93
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
I was a huge fan of his before but this just solidified my buying his jersey (so I dont have to wear my Ben one anymore lol)

MexicanSteel
05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
did you look that he is the only man !!! yeaaaa
Actually he look pretty good.. :thumbsup:

SMR
05-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Mendenhall
Run the Ball!

Carolina Steelers
05-01-2010, 10:35 PM
He looked like he was the best one in the class. Hopefully he moves that good on the field

Galax Steeler
05-02-2010, 09:33 PM
I have been a huge Mendenhall fan for a long time I like the way he runs. He will be the man in the Burgh for a long time. For all of you haters when we drafted him you can start eating your crow now. He is the future and he is no scat back like alot of of people said. GO MENDENHALL:steelersflag:

MasterOfPuppets
05-02-2010, 11:12 PM
did you look that he is the only man !!! yeaaaa
Actually he look pretty good.. :thumbsup:

hope ben don't sign up for that class...could be trouble...:popcorn:

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 05:05 AM

That is just wrong.:chuckle:

NEPAsteeler
05-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Good job, Mendenhall! :tt02:

memphissteelergirl
05-03-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH5kEBgwur4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zzr_1lEoK4

(chanting)

Go Mendy...Go Mendy...Go Mendy!

:getdown::getdown:

CanadianSteel
05-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Wonder if he uses that same spin move in dance class :toofunny:

Or maybe thats where he got it from....

Dino 6 Rings
05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
"Black 20, Black 20.....Hand off to Mendenhall....hut hut"

pancake
05-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Well I could think of worse he could be doing... :hatsoff:

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Wonder if he uses that same spin move in dance class :toofunny:

Or maybe thats where he got it from....

I hope his spin days on the field are over I am ready to see him just do some hard running.

St33lersguy
05-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Too bad Arians will just continue to stupidly use the shotgun and try to throw passes to guys like Emanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Is Dancing with the Stars in Mendenhall's future? :chuckle:

sharkweek
05-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I hope they don't switch to running him TOO much. Share the load.

MACH1
05-04-2010, 01:48 AM
That spin would come in handy for break dancing...:chuckle:

Preacher
05-04-2010, 02:50 AM
(Well dance classes worked for Lynn Swan so why not? I wonder what kind of dance classes he took. - mesa)

Yep, though actually, Swann had more than just dance classes, I think he trained in it from childhood.

I completely agree with you that it should be done.

Heck, a lot of hockey players will take "power skating" lessons which, in all reality, is figure skating-as it is taught by figure skating coaches. They teach 3 turns, mohawks, etc. etc. and it really helps control your body in a game.

I know Swann said the same thing about Ballet, that he was able to control his body in the air because of his ballet training.

markymarc
05-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Kudos to Mendenhall for trying something different in training. And Rashard is only 22 years old. I can't wait to see his improvement from last season to this year. But like sharkweek mentioned I too hope they don't run Mendenhall until the wheels fall off!

And leading the rushing chores for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2010 are Dance and Diesel :tt02:

SMR
05-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Mendenhall
Run the Ball!

GBMelBlount
05-08-2010, 11:11 PM

Was that Ben coming out of the rest room at the end of the video? :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
05-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Was that Ben coming out of the rest room at the end of the video? :noidea:
i don't know, but if mendenhall was a smart man, he'd have taken up a position in the back of the class where i'm sure it would offer a better view...:doh: