PDA

View Full Version : Smith’s return encouraging to Steelers defense

polamalubeast
05-01-2010, 05:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-steelers-smithreturns

Smith’s return encouraging to Steelers defense
By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
17 minutes ago

Buzz up! 0 PrintPITTSBURGH (AP)—Sometimes he would sit down to watch, only to grab the remote control and turn off the game in disgust. Or maybe Aaron Smith(notes) would play with one of his kids, using that as diversion to avoid watching the Steelers lose a game he knows they should have won.

The Steelers weren’t the same team defensively last season without star safety Troy Polamalu(notes), but Smith’s lengthy absence due to a right rotator cuff injury also was a major but oft-overlooked reason for their falloff from Super Bowl winner to non-playoff team.

While much of the focus this spring is on the player who will be missing when the season starts—suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes)—the Steelers are encouraged by who will be back.

Polamalu (left knee) is practicing after playing in only three full games last season, and Smith—one of the NFL’s best run defenders—is months ahead of schedule. He practiced Friday and Saturday after being told previously to take it easy until training camp started.

tube517
05-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I hope we can get 1-2 years more from Aaron...we need him until the young guys step up.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Yep, if the Injury God's are favoring us this year I can't help but wonder if we could have the same smothering defense we had two years ago....

I know...it's way to early..

steeltheone
05-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I hope we can get 1-2 years more from Aaron...we need him until the young guys step up.

No reason on earth Hood should not be starting this year. Keisel at 4 million, Smith at 6. 6 million and hood at 1.3... the only way he is going to shine is to play. You can't tell me keisel is 4x and Smith 6x better than Hood. We could use that money to sign younger guys to extensions.

MexicanSteel
05-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Smith is the most underrated player!.. he is one of the best 3-4 DE in the ligue
Im glad he and polamalu are back.. our defense is gonna kick a lot of @sses this season
And yes Hood must see more action this year.. he is the future starter in our defense

:tt03::tt03: GO STEELERS

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
You can't tell me keisel is 4x and Smith 6x better than Hood

why not?

SMR
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
why not?

Maybe cuz its too early to believe that. Give the Hood another year to fully display what he's got. Then, we can better judge.

tube517
05-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Did I say that?

If ASmith,Casey and Keisel play all 16 games, the young guys will barely get a chance to prove themselves. There is nothing more I would like than for Ziggy to get a chance. In fact, I'd like to see him rotating in with Keisel. Or Ziggy/Aaron and Sunny/Brett rotation. In fact, as they get older, the young guys NEED to step up and give the old guys a breather.

But until these young guys prove themselves, Aaron is the best DE we have.

No reason on earth Hood should not be starting this year. Keisel at 4 million, Smith at 6. 6 million and hood at 1.3... the only way he is going to shine is to play. You can't tell me keisel is 4x and Smith 6x better than Hood. We could use that money to sign younger guys to extensions.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Did I say that?

If ASmith,Casey and Keisel play all 16 games, the young guys will barely get a chance to prove themselves. There is nothing more I would like than for Ziggy to get a chance. In fact, I'd like to see him rotating in with Keisel. Or Ziggy/Aaron and Sunny/Brett rotation. In fact, as they get older, the young guys NEED to step up and give the old guys a breather.

But until these young guys prove themselves, Aaron is the best DE we have.

My guess is we will see a good bit of Ziggy and Sonny this season. Hood has a crazy motor and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him subing in for Smith or Hampton in passing situations.

steeltheone
05-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Losing Smith did nothing to bother the D last year. He is not a sacker. We are slow up front. You Steeler fans can keep living in 2007. We need to get younger and faster asap. If you think Smith is 5 mill better than hood. Colbert made a bad pick.

wootawnee
05-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Smith is the most underrated player!.. he is one of the best 3-4 DE in the ligue
Im glad he and polamalu are back.. our defense is gonna kick a lot of @sses this season
And yes Hood must see more action this year.. he is the future starter in our defense

:tt03::tt03: GO STEELERS

Smith is not underated.......The whole league knows who he is and how hard to block him is..........

The talking heads just don't talk about him cause he dont get the sacks like the outside guys........Basically he is a d tackle......The linebackers are the ends........

Who cares, Every olineman in the league knows how tough he is...........

Where does this underated crap come from.......Al Micheals on sunday night football or Criss Collinswotrth saying he is........Come on man........

pete74
05-02-2010, 06:38 AM
smith has always been a favorite of mine. i belive he deserved many more pro bowls during his time but unfortunatly a 3-4 end dosnt get the credit they deserve. he has been an anchor on our line for a very long time and one of the main reasons we have been so hard to run on for years. i helped a friend do a fence at his hose when i was in college and had the chance to talk to him a few times. he is such a great guy. he is extremly kind and humble. i remember asking him why he lived in a $230,000 house instead of a mansion like kordell and bettis and he said he perfered to save. i remember him telling me that every year could be his last so he had to think about the future of his family. he said in the nfl you never know were you will be from year to year and when it will all end so why blow your money then suffer for it later in life. he was just a great guy who didnt take anything for granted

SMR
05-02-2010, 08:46 AM
smith has always been a favorite of mine. i belive he deserved many more pro bowls during his time but unfortunatly a 3-4 end dosnt get the credit they deserve. he has been an anchor on our line for a very long time and one of the main reasons we have been so hard to run on for years. i helped a friend do a fence at his hose when i was in college and had the chance to talk to him a few times. he is such a great guy. he is extremly kind and humble. i remember asking him why he lived in a $230,000 house instead of a mansion like kordell and bettis and he said he perfered to save. i remember him telling me that every year could be his last so he had to think about the future of his family. he said in the nfl you never know were you will be from year to year and when it will all end so why blow your money then suffer for it later in life. he was just a great guy who didnt take anything for granted

Yeah, Smith is one of the most down to earth Steelers I've ever known of. Very humble and smart too.