PDA

View Full Version : QB quandary?...there should be if...

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Regardless of who the starting QB is (Dixon, Leftwich, or Batch) for the first 4,5,6 games, if they have a winning record , then they should remain the starter as long as they are producing and winning. Whether you love Ben or hate him, he has been an embarrassment to this proud franchise that I have loved for 30 years! Not only does he have problems with keeping his hands off the females, but he continues to have the decision making skills of a 14 year old off the field. And to compound things, he can't stay in shape in the offseason, even though he has a 100 million reasons to do so. To think that he will be ready to go full steam by game 5 is not realistic. If the guy playing the 1st 4 games is working his butt off and succeeding, how can you bench him for a guy that doesn't put this franchise first? And I don't care about him winning 2 Super Bowls! He no more won 2 Super Bowls than Bradshaw won 4. The Pittsburgh Steelers win Super Bowls, not individuals.

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 09:33 PM
what makes you think he's not in shape? Pictures from recent weeks? Lol, we give him this crap every season. Have you even seen the big guy move? Ben is better than every QB on this roster, tenfold. You always put your best on the field. Who cares if we go 4-0 with Dixon/Batch/Leftwich? If they could do it, you damn well know Ben could have done it in a far more dominating fashion.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
what makes you think he's not in shape? Pictures from recent weeks? Lol, we give him this crap every season. Have you even seen the big guy move? Ben is better than every QB on this roster, tenfold. You always put your best on the field. Who cares if we go 4-0 with Dixon/Batch/Leftwich? If they could do it, you damn well know Ben could have done it in a far more dominating fashion.

4-0 is 4-0. The NFL doesn't reward style points! Ben may be the most talented on the roster, but he's not the smartest! I don't believe in rewarding stupidity. If one of the other guys is winning and you bench him for Ben, then that's exactly what you are doing. And, this thing about you must put the talented guy on the field no matter what is ridiculous and is not what this proud organization is about. We Steeler fans have condemned the Bungles over the years for taking that approach. Are you now saying that we should lower ourselves to taking their approach? I hope that Mr Rooney, whom I've met and have all the respect in the world for, and a fellow Irishman as well, benches Ben for the remainder of the season. Maybe that will serve as the wake up call he needs desperately!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-01-2010, 09:51 PM
What happens if we're 0-4 or 1-3? I have a feeling you won't be whistling the same tune.

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 09:52 PM
so you're solution to teaching ben a lesson is keeping him off the field for as long as possible and pissing away $108 million on a backup quarterback. What is this style points crap, Ben's just better. Dont take his talent for granted. In our long 75+ year history, we've only had 2 good QB's, and the good one we have right now is arguably better in less than half the time. The only upside Leftwich has on Ben is a stronger arm. Dont make me go through the laundry list of disadvantages. The only upside Dixon has on Ben is being able to move the ball forward with his legs. No, he is not mobile, mobile means a lot more than being able to run with the ball in your hands. Again, massive deficit in all other categories between him and Ben. And we all know the deal with Batch lol

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
What happens if we're 0-4 or 1-3? I have a feeling you won't be whistling the same tune.

4-0, 0-4, we should be whistling the same tune at quarterback once Ben is unsuspended. Unless a ninja creeps through ben's window, decks him in the face, and turns his right arm into a delicious kabob, not putting Ben on the field asap is laughable

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Some things are more important than records. If the guys is playing his rear end off, then why bench him for a guy who can't put this franchise ahead of chasing women and clubbing? We had Ben all last year, and how did that turn out? You can blame the line, or the defense, but Ben made plenty of mistakes of his own. And when he decided he was to hurt to play in a game, then jumps around on the sideline like 2 year old on crack against the Ravens, it was just one more example of how important the Steelers are to him...not very!

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Of course not, that is not his point. If we had a losing record there would be no problem with putting Ben back in......

Now to the OP. I kinda understand what your saying but i have to disagree. Even if we do go 4-0 with another starter as pyschoward stated, dont you think Ben could have done the same? You put the players on the field that gives you the BEST chance to win and at the QB position that is Big Ben. Obviously he is getting another chance from the team because, well he is still on the team. So if they feel like keeping him, they are going to play him. and regardless of our record when his suspension is up, he needs to be our QB.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
so you're solution to teaching ben a lesson is keeping him off the field for as long as possible and pissing away $108 million on a backup quarterback. What is this style points crap, Ben's just better. Dont take his talent for granted. In our long 75+ year history, we've only had 2 good QB's, and the good one we have right now is arguably better in less than half the time. The only upside Leftwich has on Ben is a stronger arm. Dont make me go through the laundry list of disadvantages. The only upside Dixon has on Ben is being able to move the ball forward with his legs. No, he is not mobile, mobile means a lot more than being able to run with the ball in your hands. Again, massive deficit in all other categories between him and Ben. And we all know the deal with Batch lol

I said the remainder of the season, not for ever! If you keep patting Ben on the head and saying don't do it again, then what does he learn? A 4-6 game suspension, still gets paid, and will play most of the games this year? Some will condone any behavior as long as the individual is talented, I am just not one of them.

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Some things are more important than records. If the guys is playing his rear end off, then why bench him for a guy who can't put this franchise ahead of chasing women and clubbing? We had Ben all last year, and how did that turn out? You can blame the line, or the defense, but Ben made plenty of mistakes of his own. And when he decided he was to hurt to play in a game, then jumps around on the sideline like 2 year old on crack against the Ravens, it was just one more example of how important the Steelers are to him...not very!

ok now your calling a guy out for not playing while he has a concussion? Come on you cant be serious!

This guy is one of the best QB's in the league!

What if peyton manning gets hurt for 4 games and another QB went 4-0 for them? are you telling me your going to keep peyton on the bench????

He is being punished for his actions, so further punishment as in leaving him off the field because he "doesnt care about the team" is adding on top of what he already has (which is too much anyway).

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I said the remainder of the season, not for ever! If you keep patting Ben on the head and saying don't do it again, then what does he learn? A 4-6 game suspension, still gets paid, and will play most of the games this year? Some will condone any behavior as long as the individual is talented, I am just not one of them.

He wont be getting paid during the suspension

What are you talking about condoning behavior??? HE IS GETTING PUNISHED ALREADY 4-6 GAMES!!! After the punishment is over...ITS OVER...and nothing more is done unless heaven forbid it happens again.... then his butt is off the team.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Of course not, that is not his point. If we had a losing record there would be no problem with putting Ben back in......

Now to the OP. I kinda understand what your saying but i have to disagree. Even if we do go 4-0 with another starter as pyschoward stated, dont you think Ben could have done the same? You put the players on the field that gives you the BEST chance to win and at the QB position that is Big Ben. Obviously he is getting another chance from the team because, well he is still on the team. So if they feel like keeping him, they are going to play him. and regardless of our record when his suspension is up, he needs to be our QB.

As a former Marine and Deputy Sheriff, as well as a D line coach for a Div 3 school. I guess I have a different perspective. I am a firm believer that you reward those who work their ass off to make your team better and that show respect and discipline off the field. Maybe I'm a dinosaur and out of touch?

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
ok now your calling a guy out for not playing while he has a concussion? Come on you cant be serious!

This guy is one of the best QB's in the league!

What if peyton manning gets hurt for 4 games and another QB went 4-0 for them? are you telling me your going to keep peyton on the bench????

He is being punished for his actions, so further punishment as in leaving him off the field because he "doesnt care about the team" is adding on top of what he already has (which is too much anyway).

Manning would never disrespect his franchise by putting himself in the situation to be accused of sexual assault twice! Please don't use that comparison.

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:10 PM
As a former Marine and Deputy Sheriff, as well as a D line coach for a Div 3 school. I guess I have a different perspective. I am a firm believer that you reward those who work their ass off to make your team better and that show respect and discipline off the field. Maybe I'm a dinosaur and out of touch?

I can go to training camp and go work my ass off during a practice....does that mean i should be our QB?

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I can go to training camp and go work my ass off during a practice....does that mean i should be our QB?

Really? What ever happened to a good intellectual conversation? This is starting to sound like the US Congress.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM

Really? Because in the NFL WINNING is the bottom line. This team is already aging, are you really so sure you want to throw away maybe one of the last chances we could have in awhile at winning a Super Bowl to simply prove a point. A point in which has been proved already by Rodger Goodell.

And the whole "We had Ben last year.." argument. We also had Ben in 2005 and 2008 and how did that work out? Oh yeah we started Dixon once last season and how did that work out??? :coffee:

Oh and jumping around and supporting his teammates when he can't play is hardly a sign that he dosn't care. In fact where I come from that would be considered the exact opposite.

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Really? What ever happened to a good intellectual conversation? This is starting to sound like the US Congress.

When did the conversation end? We are discussing it and im making my points and your making yours...so whats the problem?

Steelerfreak58
05-01-2010, 10:16 PM
The problem for Ben is that if one of the replacement QBs goes 4-0 the Rooney's will be ecstatic. Art II and Dan are pretty much at wits end with people doing stupid shit on the team and Ben for a while has shown he is as smart as a bag of hammers when it comes to making sound judgment decisions.

If the Owners are happy with Dixon or Lefty the coaches will know about it. I hope for Bens sake he gets an opportunity to make the comeback of the year and redeem himself by leading this team to the SB and having all kinds of touchy feely stories about how he is a changed man yadda yadda yadda whoop whoop whoop on the 2 weeks and the 8 hours of pregame Super Bowl BS they throw at you ad nausea

Everyone loves a comeback story even if it is one about a sexual deviant that likes to **** young college girls in bar bathrooms that just so happened to **** a hotel manager and smash his face into a van at 30+ miles an hour. That is some good come to Jesus stuff right there he can talk about how he found faith blah blah blah the media will eat that can of bull shit right on up!

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
When did the conversation end? We are discussing it and im making my points and your making yours...so whats the problem?

The " well, what if I was on the team" was a little juvenile don't you think. But Dixon, Batch and Leftwich are, and I want to see one of them be rewarded for being hard workers, good guys and team oriented. Again, maybe crazy thinking on this old man's part.

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:22 PM
The " well, what if I was on the team" was a little juvenile don't you think. But Dixon, Batch and Leftwich are, and I want to see one of them be rewarded for being hard workers, good guys and team oriented. Again, maybe crazy thinking on this old man's part.

I was making a point....all im saying is anyone can go out and work hard, that is probably why most of them are in the NFL anyway...but just because a guy works hard doesnt mean they give you the best chance to win.

I just feel like there is no reason why Ben shouldnt be our QB when his punishment is up. I do not condone the situation he got himself into, but he is getting punished and after that is over Im more then willing to move on and hope for him to play his best so our team can win.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 10:25 PM
No.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I was making a point....all im saying is anyone can go out and work hard, that is probably why most of them are in the NFL anyway...but just because a guy works hard doesnt mean they give you the best chance to win.

I just feel like there is no reason why Ben shouldnt be our QB when his punishment is up. I do not condone the situation he got himself into, but he is getting punished and after that is over Im more then willing to move on and hope for him to play his best so our team can win.

Whatever happens, I hope for the sake of the Rooneys and this proud franchise that Ben gets his act together and starts acting like a grown man.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Whatever happens, I hope for the sake of the Rooneys and this proud franchise that Ben gets his act together and starts acting like a grown man.

That is something we all hope for Bill. :drink:

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:30 PM

Could not agree more :thumbsup:

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:33 PM
That is something we all hope for Bill. :drink:

Agreed! I have proudly followed this franchise for 30 years. I don't like to see any embarrassment brought to them, which is probably why I'm so disgusted with Ben right now.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Agreed! I have proudly followed this franchise for 30 years. I don't like to see any embarrassment brought to them, which is probably why I'm so disgusted with Ben right now.

...I agree. It is great to hear your perspective as a former football coach....

and on a side note, thank you for your service Bill. I never had the honor but you will find many friends here who have.

steelerjim58
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Well I 've been following the Steelers for 45 years, and all I know is that unless he is physically unable to play, Ben should be on the field.

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:44 PM

and on a side note, thank you for your service Bill. I never had the honor. :hatsoff:

Yes I want to thank you for your service as well. :tt04:

fansince'76
05-01-2010, 10:44 PM
You don't pay a guy $100 mil to carry a clipboard. Especially when said guy, as has been mentioned previously, is better than anyone else on the roster at the same position 10 times over (at least).

SteelCityMom
05-01-2010, 10:45 PM
My opinion....if the owners, coaches and FO wanted to roll the dice with another QB for the entire season they would have actually done something to trade Ben. They didn't keep him around to be a clipboard coach.

Whether you agree with that decision or not is irrelevant now. It's a done deal.

Psyychoward86
05-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Maybe I'm a dinosaur and out of touch?

yeah you kind of are. In the NFL the best guy at his position PLAYS on sundays

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:46 PM

and on a side note, thank you for your service Bill. I never had the honor. :hatsoff:

Thanks, the Corps made me the man I am today. Working in the Div 3 ranks was very rewarding, because even though 99.9% of the kids would never attend an NFL camp, they worked their butts off because they loved football!

Nadroj 20
05-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks, the Corps made me the man I am today. Working in the Div 3 ranks was very rewarding, because even though 99.9% of the kids would never attend an NFL camp, they worked their butts off because they loved football!

Seeing that your from Ohio...did you have any experiences with Mount Union and Pierre Garcon? Just wondering lol

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:54 PM
You don't pay a guy $100 mil to carry a clipboard. Especially when said guy, as has been mentioned previously, is better than anyone else on the roster at the same position 10 times over (at least).

The indisputable fact is that if it weren't for Ben's immaturity, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You also don't pay a guy $100 million to embarrass the proudest franchise in the NFL.

fansince'76
05-01-2010, 10:56 PM
The indisputable fact is that if it weren't for Ben's immaturity, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. You also don't pay a guy $100 million to embarrass the proudest franchise in the NFL.

Another indisputable fact is that Ben will be the starter upon his return, which pretty much renders this entire "conversation" moot.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Seeing that your from Ohio...did you have any experiences with Mount Union and Pierre Garcon? Just wondering lol

I coached at Ohio Northern (go Polar Bears), but I do have friends at Mount Union on the staff. While everyone there loved the kid, and new about his heart and desire, no one thought he would be starting in the NFL.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Another indisputable fact is that Ben will be the starter upon his return.

Sadly, you're probably right.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Another indisputable fact is that Ben will be the starter upon his return, which pretty much renders this entire "conversation" moot.

No conversation is moot as long as people have opinions to share with one another.

mesaSteeler
05-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I belive the more interesting question to ask is what happens when Ben comes back and he plays poorly? Everyone seems to assume he will come back and play the way he did during the last Super Bowl season. I don't think that's a given.

Consider the following:

1. The only way Ben can win back the fans is to win. To win back the fans Ben will be under immense pressure to win at once. He may start trying to win games by himself which he won't be able to do.
2. He'll be out of practice and his timing will be off.
3. His favorite wide receiver is gone.
4. Ben has always been a gambler. Since he will be under pressure to win he make start forcing the ball. A few interceptions and the home crowd will be expressing their displeasure. After all 60% or so of Pittsburgh wanted him cut or traded.

I hope I'm wrong but I have little confidence that Ben will be able to play well after he comes back.

If Ben doesn't play well and whoever was playing QB in the first four/six games was playing better then we will indeed have a QB controversy.

Stu Pidasso
05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
so you're solution to teaching ben a lesson is keeping him off the field for as long as possible and pissing away $108 million on a backup quarterback.

You put the best player on the field to give you WINS. If we're 3-1/4-0, I say keep that QB in. If we played everyone according to their salary, it just wouldn't work. Ask the Redskins. Or the Dolphins.

fansince'76
05-01-2010, 11:05 PM
I belive the more interesting question to ask is what happens when Ben comes back and he plays poorly? Everyone seems to assume he will come back and play the way he did during the last Super Bowl season. I don't think that's a given.

And many also assume we'll go anywhere from 4-0 to 6-0 with Lefty or Dixon under center, which I find even less realistic.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Some great posts on both sides of the topic. That's what makes America great, we can agree, we can disagree, but we are able to talk about it in a civilized, intelligent way!

devilsdancefloor
05-01-2010, 11:08 PM
A player shouldnt lose his job as a starter due to injury or suspension. Especially since he is hands down the best person at his position that is like saying damn that troy he hurt his knee, well i guess even when he is better we will keep will allen in his place. It just isnt gonna happen. Am i embarrassed as hell about ben, YES, but i also know he is going to be our starter once he comes back after 4 to 6 games. I really think the counseling and and him sitting out the games will have the effect desired. I really believe he knows he screwed the pooch and wants to make ammends with the rooneys, this teamates and most of all with steeler nation.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I coached at Ohio Northern (go Polar Bears), but I do have friends at Mount Union on the staff. While everyone there loved the kid, and new about his heart and desire, no one thought he would be starting in the NFL.

Very Cool Bill.

Did you ever hear of Darren Scott? The national champ wrestler from the late 80's at Ohio Northern?

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Very Cool Bill.

Did you ever hear of Darren Scott? The national champ wrestler from the 80's at Ohio Northern?

Yes, Darren was a stud wrestler. In the mid 80's, there was none better .

mesaSteeler
05-01-2010, 11:14 PM
And many also assume we'll go anywhere from 4-0 to 6-0 with Lefty or Dixon under center, which I find even less realistic.

I completely agree with you. I think 2-2 or 3-3 are lot closer to what will probably happen.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Yes, Darren was a stud wrestler. In the mid 80's, there was none better .

Yes he was. I wrestled him 3 times.

mesaSteeler
05-01-2010, 11:15 PM

Ben may start but if he doesn't play well the issue will not be moot.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Yes he was. I wrestled him 3 times.

Really? That's great. Who did you wrestle for? How tough was it to face Darren? I can't even imagine.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Really? That's great. Who did you wrestle for? How tough was it to face Darren? I can't even imagine.

Allegheny. Yes. He was tough. Two of our matches went into overtime. One in the finals of a tournament and the other went into double overtime at nationals.

Darren was one of the nicest and most decent people I have ever known. Very religious. He had a beautiful family. They went to all of his matches.

He died from ALS a few years ago I believe. How sad.

Steel Bill
05-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Allegheny. Yes. He was tough. Two of our matches went into overtime. One in the finals of a tournament and the other went into double overtime at nationals.

He was a wonderful kid though. God bless him. I loved his family. They went to all of his matches. He died of Lou gherigs disease.

I didn't know that he had passed, that's too bad. I think he coached for awhile, the Citadel I think? He was a great kid though. You must have been one hell of a wrestler if you took him to overtime. Outstanding!

GBMelBlount
05-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I didn't know that he had passed, that's too bad. I think he coached for awhile, the Citadel I think? He was a great kid though. You must have been one hell of a wrestler if you took him to overtime. Outstanding!

Yes, I was priveleged to know him.

fansince'76
05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Ben may start but if he doesn't play well the issue will not be moot.

It will be unless the coaching staff begins to let the fans make the decisions for them. If that happens, you may as well start calling us the Browns.

GBMelBlount
05-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I agree Gary.

While I do understand the spirit of this thread and think it is worthy of debate (and I have never been a big Ben fan on a personal level) I cannot imagine Ben NOT being the starter when he can play again, or being replaced if he is rusty out of the gate.

mesaSteeler
05-02-2010, 12:12 AM
It will be unless the coaching staff begins to let the fans make the decisions for them. If that happens, you may as well start calling us the Browns.

If he starts losing games because of interceptions due to his forcing the ball or due the lack of timing then it won't be the fans who will be making the decision. It will be the coaching staff. Also how will the locker room react if who ever is playing QB for the first 4-6 games is playing well and Ben stinks? They won't be happy keeping Ben as the starter just to have him lose games.

Preacher
05-02-2010, 12:15 AM
He wont be getting paid during the suspension

What are you talking about condoning behavior??? HE IS GETTING PUNISHED ALREADY 4-6 GAMES!!! After the punishment is over...ITS OVER...and nothing more is done unless heaven forbid it happens again.... then his butt is off the team.

Bingo. And when its over, its over.

fansince'76
05-02-2010, 12:23 AM
If he starts losing games because of interceptions due to his forcing the ball or due the lack of timing then it won't be the fans who will be making the decision. It will be the coaching staff. Also how will the locker room react if who ever is playing QB for the first 4-6 games is playing well and Ben stinks? They won't be happy keeping Ben as the starter just to have him lose games.

Well, I would imagine the coaching staff will be cognizant of the rust factor and ease him back in slowly and not have him throw it 40-50 times a game right out of the chute, especially with the mandate from the FO to run the ball more this coming season. We'll see how it plays out, though.

mesaSteeler
05-02-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, I would imagine the coaching staff will be cognizant of the rust factor and ease him back in slowly and not have him throw it 40-50 times a game right out of the chute, especially with the mandate from the FO to run the ball more this coming season. We'll see how it plays out, though.

I hope you are correct but I have no faith in Arians not calling pass plays. It is going to be interesting and we will indeed see how it plays out.

wootawnee
05-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Im tired of this post...........Alot of dudes fathers would be proud of their sons for messing around in the can............

Sit Ben?..........What a joke..........

steelreserve
05-02-2010, 04:55 AM

There's the whole problem with this. We had a poorly planned and extremely unlucky run at QB in the '80s and '90s, so now the fans all think that's how it always is. Ben is Bradshaw Times Ten, and everyone else is Kordell if they're mobile, or Maddox if they aren't.

I mean, seriously, people, STFU. For 20 years, you've been making a big deal about how we're good at replacing personnel, and we haven't even missed a beat ever since Lloyd left for more money, and the front office is just UNCANNY at finding great backups who become starters. Then every time there's talk about a new QB auditioning, it's "OMG it's Kordell" and every time there's talk about a new kicker, it's "OMG it's Kris Brown even though we don't even know who the new kicker might be." It's fricking stupid paranoia over a couple of positions. You look at this year's draft picks and say how great they're all going to be as pros even though they're unproven but we should trust the front office -- and then out of the other side of your mouth, you go talk about how Dixon must be garbage because he's unproven, and we shouldn't trust the front office.

Look at you guys. The front office should be absolutely lauded because they've had enough success to win 6 Super Bowls, then when it's a position we've had bad luck with, you turn around and say they must be idiots and everyone we draft is Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell combined. Is that seriously the best you can do? If Dixon is good enough to win the starting job over Leftwich, and he goes 4-0 or 3-1, he should get a serious look. How many great players have emerged like that? Maybe he won't be anything special, but don't ignore him just because Ben is Ben and Ben must be the Chosen One. You field a team this good, and there are probably a shitload of QBs who could have success with it.

pete74
05-02-2010, 05:28 AM
personally i would rather see the job handed to Dixon. let Dixon prove if he can handle it or not. why does Leftwich deserve the 1st team this early in the year? Dixon can still have a future as a starting QB in the NFL were time is up for Leftwich. I would much rather see the job handed to Dixon and then if he cant handle it through Leftwich in

GBMelBlount
05-02-2010, 06:32 AM
If Dixon is good enough to win the starting job over Leftwich, and he goes 4-0 or 3-1, he should get a serious look. How many great players have emerged like that?

Maybe he won't be anything special, but don't ignore him just because Ben is Ben and Ben must be the Chosen One.

You field a team this good, and there are probably a shitload of QBs who could have success with it.

I REALLY like Dixon, Steel, and would love to see him come in and tear the place up......

BUT, I am of the opinion that it is virtually guaranteed that Ben will start when he is able to, no matter what Dixon or anyone else does.

That's all I am saying.

HometownGal
05-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Though I am a firm believer in not fixing what isn't broken, the Steelers aren't going to sit a $102 mil player on the bench unless they plan on booting him out on his ass at season's end, which I don't believe is the case unless he comes down with another case of assholeism. I'd be all for keeping either Lefty or Dix behind center if they find success but somehow, I don't see that happening.

pete74
05-02-2010, 08:23 AM
i cant see anyone doing as well as ben but if dixon did very well then we will either have an awesome backup or a great trade that can land us a 1st or 2nd round pick

mesaSteeler
05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I agree Gary.

While I do understand the spirit of this thread and think it is worthy of debate (and I have never been a big Ben fan on a personal level) I cannot imagine Ben NOT being the starter when he can play again, or being replaced if he is rusty out of the gate.

I can imagine Ben being replaced if he plays badly. Consider that Tiger Woods just had the one worst performances of his career. I would submit that it is harder to play NFL QB than it is to play the game of golf.

* Woods misses cut after second round 79
http://in.reuters.com/article/golfNews/idINLDE63T25720100430
* Refuses to blame personal problems for failure (Updates with details, quotes)

By Julian Linden

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina, April 30 (Reuters) - Another side of Tiger Woods was unveiled to the golfing world on Friday. And just like the last time, it was shocking to see.

The private life of the world's richest sportsman had already been laid bare by the sordid revelations of his extra-marital affairs. Now his golf game is facing examination.

It is too early to say what, if any, effect his personal troubles will have on his game but Woods ensured those questions would be asked after a rare inept performance at the Quail Hollow championship on Friday.

Woods missed the cut for only the sixth time in his professional career after rounds of 74 and 79. That alone should be no real cause for concern but it was the manner of his early exit that was most alarming.

By his own incredible standards, this was a train crash the golfing world never expected to see. Woods looked like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders but insisted the distractions in his private life were not to blame.

"Does it test you? Yes, of course it does," he told reporters. Continued...

GBMelBlount
05-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I do understand your point Mesa...

...and that is actually part of the reason I feel so strongly that the team will support him almost unconditionally and as long as possible.

If Ben loses the faith of the team and coaches, it COULD be the straw that breaks his confidence and that is why I think the Steelers will circle wagons as long as possible....

although I am not a fan of his on a personal level...I think his EXCEPTIONAL talent is undeniable and will be extremely difficult to replace imo.

I guess we'll see.

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 12:00 PM
You put the best player on the field to give you WINS. If we're 3-1/4-0, I say keep that QB in. If we played everyone according to their salary, it just wouldn't work. Ask the Redskins. Or the Dolphins.

That would still be Ben...

Prok
05-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Though I am a firm believer in not fixing what isn't broken, the Steelers aren't going to sit a $102 mil player on the bench unless they plan on booting him out on his ass at season's end, which I don't believe is the case unless he comes down with another case of assholeism. I'd be all for keeping either Lefty or Dix behind center if they find success but somehow, I don't see that happening.

Good post.

IMO we (our CS) already pretty much knows what we got in Dixon. Now i'm not saying there isn't a chance for him to improve either. But at this point, the trading for Lefty pretty much told me that they don't believe Dixon is ready yet.

And quite frankly, i don't believe he'll ever be starting material. Sure he'll get a shot somewhere, maybe for us at some point. But i believe with QB's a team knows what it's got by this stage of their career.

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Ben sitting on the bench= cut or trade

You dont do that to a quarterback in his prime, especially a team that has only had 2 good ones in 75+ years. Yeah i know, Dixon's only entering his 3rd year so he could play like Jesus for all we know in the future. But what are the chances? And why are half the people here making it sound like it's so easy to get rid of Ben, like it would hardly put a dent in our team's success?

I think we're really overrating Leftwich and Dixon here and really underrating Ben, which i dont understand quite understand. Omgomgomg, sky's falling, Ben did something bad at a bar and therefore he's magically become insubordinate at being an efficient quarterback :rolleyes:

Prok
05-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Ben sitting on the bench= cut or trade

You dont do that to a quarterback in his prime, especially a team that has only had 2 good ones in 75+ years. Yeah i know, Dixon's only entering his 3rd year so he could play like Jesus for all we know in the future. But what are the chances? And why are half the people here making it sound like it's so easy to get rid of Ben, like it would hardly put a dent in our team's success?

I think we're really overrating Leftwich and Dixon here and really underrating Ben, which i dont understand quite understand. Omgomgomg, sky's falling, Ben did something bad at a bar and therefore he's magically become insubordinate at being an efficient quarterback :rolleyes:

LOL Spot on.

Anyone thinking ANY of these guys are better than Ben is really hoping against hope IMO.

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
LOL Spot on.

Anyone thinking ANY of these guys are better than Ben is really hoping against hope IMO.

While I respect your opinion, you make it sound as if the simple act of having Ben on the field guarantees that we will win games and make the playoffs. Ben started 15 game last year and we finished in 3rd place! So let's mot make it out as if Ben is the secret formula to a playoff run. If Dixon or Lefty plays good football and the team plays well around them, they can wins games as well, even without Ben's talent. And I think most people are assuming that when Ben comes back, he will automatically light it up and start winning. What if he comes back and loses 3 or 4 games in a row? Will all the Ben backers still be still be singing his praises?

Prok
05-02-2010, 12:39 PM
While I respect your opinion, you make it sound as if the simple act of having Ben on the field guarantees that we will win games and make the playoffs. Ben started 15 game last year and we finished in 3rd place! So let's mot make it out as if Ben is the secret formula to a playoff run. If Dixon or Lefty plays good football and the team plays well around them, they can wins games as well, even without Ben's talent. And I think most people are assuming that when Ben comes back, he will automatically light it up and start winning. What if he comes back and loses 3 or 4 games in a row? Will all the Ben backers still be still be singing his praises?

What I am saying is Ben gives us the best chance to compete and win. That simple. And he has a 6 year track record of doing that.

I'm not sure how any Steelers fan can under-estimate his guts, moxy and will to win as our QB.

If he comes back and the TEAM were to lose a few games? I highly doubt the blame would fall on Ben's shoulders. Although i can pretty much guarantee he will take his share of blame and hold himself accountable. It's what he's always done?

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I am not reading through all of this.

First off, your argument is stupid. It sounds to me like you want to punish Ben by keeping him off the field for longer than his suspension.

Once Ben Roethlisberger serves his suspension, he's going to be the starting quarterback. He's the franchise QB.

And as for your comment that teams win Super Bowls and not individuals....please tell me how many Super Bowls we won AB (After Bradshaw) and BB (Before Ben). In case you don't want to answer that, the answer is 0. The only QB on this roster that can lead this team to a Super Bowl win is Ben Roethlisberger. Lefty might take us to the playoffs, but we'd be eliminated in the first round. I am not sure if Dixon could even get this team to the playoffs, and Batch is way too injury prone to last four weeks. Heck, he couldn't even last through the end of the Kansas City Chiefs game last season.

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
What I am saying is Ben gives us the best chance to compete and win. That simple. And he has a 6 year track record of doing that.

I'm not sure how any Steelers fan can under-estimate his guts, moxy and will to win as our QB.

If he comes back and the TEAM were to lose a few games? I highly doubt the blame would fall on Ben's shoulders. Although i can pretty much guarantee he will take his share of blame and hold himself accountable. It's what he's always done?

Why don't I see you demanding that Santonio Holmes should still be on this team? He is supremely talented and it was he who caught the game winning TD against Arizona. Statistically, he was our best receiver and contributed to a lot of wins. So, why is it OK that our most talently gifted WR won't be on the field starting for us this year? I know, because he made bad decisions off the field and brought embarrassment to the franchise, right? Seems to be some what of a double standard.

steelreserve
05-02-2010, 12:52 PM
I REALLY like Dixon, Steel, and would love to see him come in and tear the place up......

BUT, I am of the opinion that it is virtually guaranteed that Ben will start when he is able to, no matter what Dixon or anyone else does.

That's all I am saying.

Well, definitely. I have no doubt that Ben will come right back in and start because he IS the proven QB. I don't think that's a bad idea either.

I just can't stand the people who go "OMG U THINK DIXON COULD ACTAULLY BE GOOD -- UR AN IDIOT BECAUSE IT TAKES 25 YEARS TO GET A GOOD QB SO HE MUST BE THE NEXT KORDELL."

Well ... no. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. People are willing to completely count Dixon out based on how bad some other QB sucked for us 20 years ago. Yet they're the same ones saying "OMG HOW CAN U CALL ____ A BUST THIS SOON, PEOPLE WERE SAYING POLAMALU SUCKED AFTER HIS FIRST YEAR SO I BET U THINK HE WAS A BUST TOO." It works both ways, people.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Why don't I see you demanding that Santonio Holmes should still be on this team? He is supremely talented and it was he who caught the game winning TD against Arizona. Statistically, he was our best receiver and contributed to a lot of wins. So, why is it OK that our most talently gifted WR won't be on the field starting for us this year? I know, because he made bad decisions off the field and brought embarrassment to the franchise, right? Seems to be some what of a double standard.

Wide receivers are much easier to replace than franchise quarterbacks. Not to mention, all reports were that the Steelers were going to let him walk away at the end of the season anyhow.

Not to mention, Holmes problems were with things actually illegal. He's been arrested and charged, Ben Roethlisberger has never been arrested and never been criminally charged with anything.

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I am not reading through all of this.

First off, your argument is stupid. It sounds to me like you want to punish Ben by keeping him off the field for longer than his suspension.

Once Ben Roethlisberger serves his suspension, he's going to be the starting quarterback. He's the franchise QB.

And as for your comment that teams win Super Bowls and not individuals....please tell me how many Super Bowls we won AB (After Bradshaw) and BB (Before Ben). In case you don't want to answer that, the answer is 0. The only QB on this roster that can lead this team to a Super Bowl win is Ben Roethlisberger. Lefty might take us to the playoffs, but we'd be eliminated in the first round. I am not sure if Dixon could even get this team to the playoffs, and Batch is way too injury prone to last four weeks. Heck, he couldn't even last through the end of the Kansas City Chiefs game last season.

Ben was a PART of two Super Bowl winners because he had a great team around him! Just as Bradshaw was in the 70's! Neither Ben nor Terry could've have taken an average team to SB.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Ben was a PART of two Super Bowl winners because he had a great team around him! Just as Bradshaw was in the 70's! Neither Ben nor Terry could've have taken an average team to SB.

We don't get to Super Bowl XL with Tommy Maddox at QB.

We don't win Super Bowl XLIII without Ben Roethlisberger at QB.

Like I said before, how many Super Bowls did we win after Bradshaw and before Ben?

Kordell Stewart has some GREAT football teams around him, but couldn't even get us to the Super Bowl. Neil O'Donnel had a GREAT team around him and threw two interceptions that lead to losing Super Bowl XXX to the Cowboys.

There is no denying that Ben Roethlisberger gives the Steelers the best chance to win football games. Just look at his record as a starting QB and our record with him not playing, which I think is something like 4-4.

Ben Roethlisberger is the franchise quarterback. Like it or not, when his suspension ends (and I don't agree with the fact that he's being suspended) he will be the starting quarterback of the Steelers the following week. That's why Ben gets paid the big money and the other three quarterbacks make so much less than him.

Prok
05-02-2010, 01:12 PM

The topic of debate is Ben, not Santonio.

Look up my posts. I was not pleased with dealing Santonio. Especially for a freaking 5th rounder. But i cannot control what our FO and CS does. I don't understand how you get a double standard out of me stating Ben gives us the best chance to win each week and contend for Super Bowls. It's proven fact IMO.

I respect your opinions and don't mind debating but calling me out for a double standard is a bit much IMO.

Is our next step along the lines of Santonio being black and Ben being white?

mikegrimey
05-02-2010, 01:17 PM
It's a good thing the FO is going to put Ben back under center once he comes back instead of being whimsical like some of these fans who stake themselves on the moral high ground. Ben isn't the first steelers to do something embarassing or ethically sketchy and he wont' be the last. He's gotten his comuppence and then some as far as i'm concerned.

Ben is too good to be held out. Unless you trust Leftwich/Dixon/Batch to take us to the promise land there's no excuse for keeping Ben on the bench longer than his suspension dictates.

Now if he comes back and sucks, that's another story, but given Ben's history, when he's on the field winning really shouldn't be a problem. Also, i'd rather have a proven clutch QB behind center come January than a group that's never won a single playoff game.

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 01:17 PM
The topic of debate is Ben, not Santonio.

Look up my posts. I was not pleased with dealing Santonio. Especially for a freaking 5th rounder. But i cannot control what our FO and CS does. I don't understand how you get a double standard out of me stating Ben gives us the best chance to win each week and contend for Super Bowls. It's proven fact IMO.

I respect your opinions and don't mind debating but calling me out for a double standard is a bit much IMO.

Is our next step along the lines of Santonio being black and Ben being white?

In the NFL, the only color that matters is green! The truth about this entire debate is that no matter who the QB is, they will only be as successful as the team as a whole! If this team struggles on defense or along the O line, it really won't matter. Let's hope that the TEAM plays well and makes a playoff run this year. I'm still trying to get the memory of last year out of my mind!

Prok
05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Well, definitely. I have no doubt that Ben will come right back in and start because he IS the proven QB. I don't think that's a bad idea either.

I just can't stand the people who go "OMG U THINK DIXON COULD ACTAULLY BE GOOD -- UR AN IDIOT BECAUSE IT TAKES 25 YEARS TO GET A GOOD QB SO HE MUST BE THE NEXT KORDELL."

Well ... no. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. People are willing to completely count Dixon out based on how bad some other QB sucked for us 20 years ago. Yet they're the same ones saying "OMG HOW CAN U CALL ____ A BUST THIS SOON, PEOPLE WERE SAYING POLAMALU SUCKED AFTER HIS FIRST YEAR SO I BET U THINK HE WAS A BUST TOO." It works both ways, people.

Good post. I fully respect your opinion on the matter. And i understand the reasoning.

But it's my opinion that Dixon just isn't that great. No matter who played QB for us years ago. i personally believe that had Dixon showed much promise we wouldn't have traded for Lefty.

But like I said, i'm not ruling out him developing into a good starter at some point. I personally just don't see it happening.

I've been wrong plenty before though so who knows. lol

Prok
05-02-2010, 01:20 PM
In the NFL, the only color that matters is green! The truth about this entire debate is that no matter who the QB is, they will only be as successful as the team as a whole! If this team struggles on defense or along the O line, it really won't matter. Let's hope that the TEAM plays well and makes a playoff run this year. I'm still trying to get the memory of last year out of my mind!

Amen to that. :drink:

I think we'll see a SB contending team this year. i just hope we get through the first few weeks OK.

:tt:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2010, 01:30 PM

I completely agree with those statements.

However, if the defense falters, if given enough time Ben has the best chance to lead us to a win in the final minutes than Lefty, Dixon, Batch, or anyone else that they might throw in there. Just look at the Green Bay game last year. He's also proven to be very effective behind an offensive line that can't seem to pass block very well. I mean hell, we won a Super Bowl with an offensive line that allowed 40 sacks. How often does that happen?

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I completely agree with those statements.

However, if the defense falters, if given enough time Ben has the best chance to lead us to a win in the final minutes than Lefty, Dixon, Batch, or anyone else that they might throw in there. Just look at the Green Bay game last year. He's also proven to be very effective behind an offensive line that can't seem to pass block very well. I mean hell, we won a Super Bowl with an offensive line that allowed 40 sacks. How often does that happen?

One thing we can all agree on is that we need to play better this year, and not lose games that we should win! If we can do that, we should be ok. I think it will be a season long fight with the Ratbirds and Bungles, but one that we can win!

chitownpit
05-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Iv been reading all these articles about who will start? Who will drop in the rotation? Or what our record might be after 4,5 games. To those of you who think its a lock that Ben steps right back ,might want to take a lesson from the history of pro sports. There is this old saying that every coach will tell you,and iv heard it myself .[YOU CANT LOSE YOUR STARTING POSITION DUE TO INJURY.]IEither i missed games due to injury or partying, and was never just given my starting role back.I had to work to get my place back,and even had to prove that its always TEAM FIRST. Iv never had a coach let somebody step back on the field,play with the first team,and resume as a lock at position he otherwise lost due to any situation. Team chemistry is a majic that cant be replaced and momentem is tuff to maintain when your plugging people into important positions .If dixon were to step in and run the table[for 5,6 games] would everybody be begging for ben to start? Remember he didnt even lose his job to injury, it was due to ignorance. And Ben has missed the beggining of several seasons due to poor judgement.If i counted on all my toes and all my fingers i couldnt count all the guys iv seen lose their jobs to a guy stepping in and getting the job done in the nfl. There is absolutly no substitute for winning in the world of pro sports and we all have seen big money players sitting on the bench watching somebody else take there job.I understand we have been waiting a long time for a leader at QB and nobody wants to see ben leaving or replaced but were talking about the STEELERS and we dont play this game. Ben with all his troubles could find himself not only done in pitt but playing in the arena leauge after another meeting with our commish.Just because of his past [winning]i dont believe ben is untouchable espeicaly if some loser team that has never wone anything offered us the whole ranch just to have a superbowl winning QB.I play in several baseball leagues and just turned 42. I start to play in may but because of my age i start working out in march.I dont believe iv ever seen ben come into camp in any kind of shape,and those of you who coach know that says something . It says i dont care ,about me,the team or leading by example. I love ben ,but im also tired of all these antics at the beggining of every season.Bens always saying were a band of , brothers, nothing comes between us. Well honestly ,if he could stop giving the U.S press so much mudd to drag him through he wouldnt have to keep repeating himself . We all think ben is here to stay,look at his body of work, we cant let him go.OK lets look,in 05 he was half a nfl QB ,stayed out of trouble,let the defense win the game and didnt do anthing stupid to lose the game. And say he threw a interception in that last drive in the superbowl or just didnt complete that drive? I dont believe everybody would be dreading the first four games of this season we would be wanting to see what dixon has in store for us .But instead were going to start a QB that hasnt been able to hold a starting job[even in tampa?] Just ask byron how easy it is to lose your starting job in this league.I just wish ben truly would dedicate himself to this sport and more importantly dedicate himself to the STEELERS and STEELERS NATION. If he continues to show up to camp covered in baby fat and out of shape,missing the beggining of seasons,and pissing off the nfl,our front office,and STEELER NATION then i ask a question. Ben cant lose his job? why not?

AllD
05-02-2010, 03:11 PM
This thread is superfluous. The only way he loses his job is via trade and that's not going to happen now.

BlastFurnace
05-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Dude...break up your paragraph into something easier to read.

To answer your question though....Ben has lead this team to 2 Super Bowl wins, He has a $102 Million Dollar contract, and he is easily the best QB on this roster.

That is why he won't lose his job.

steelreserve
05-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Good post. I fully respect your opinion on the matter. And i understand the reasoning.

But it's my opinion that Dixon just isn't that great. No matter who played QB for us years ago. i personally believe that had Dixon showed much promise we wouldn't have traded for Lefty.

But like I said, i'm not ruling out him developing into a good starter at some point. I personally just don't see it happening.

I've been wrong plenty before though so who knows. lol

No, I agree completely that we shouldn't be 100% sold on Dixon. He's looked OK so far, but if we say he's an emerging star or a huge flop, we'd just be guessing. Basically, that's what "unproven" is.

In this thread, though, the hypothetical situation is, "Let's assume Dixon proves he IS legitimately a good QB -- then what?" It's not even about whether Dixon is any good, it's if he IS good, do we give him a chance. People who respond with "Who cares, Dixon isn't any good" are just missing the point of the debate entirely.

And yeah, I do think Steelers fans have a huge Kordell complex, which would be a Brister complex or a Miller complex if the backup QB was white.

zulater
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Dude...break up your paragraph into something easier to read.

To answer your question though....Ben has lead this team to 2 Super Bowl wins, He has a $102 Million Dollar contract, and he is easily the best QB on this roster.

That is why he won't lose his job.

Yeah that's 102 million good reasons right there. :chuckle:

Ben's an elite quarterback, one of the 5 best in the league. That's why he's in no danger of losing his job.

AndyWitmyer
05-02-2010, 03:17 PM
First of all, have you ever heard of a paragraph? It's a novel literary device - look into it, my good man. If not for yourself, then for the sake of others...

Now, to address your post: I'm pretty sure that no one here is seriously looking at Ben's tenure in Pittsburgh as a given - Ben came pretty damn close to losing his job here already and I'm pretty sure that Pittsburgh (at least secretly) runs "a three S \_ u 7 s you're out policy". He's been lucky so far, but I have a feeling that if this season ends up being a gigantic bust, the blame will be placed on him. Dennis Dixon - if he plays above and beyond expectations - that too might spell out some trouble for the big guy.

And speaking of which, a diet wouldn't hurt either. Ben always wanted to have a reality show - and, well, since he's going to have all of this free time coming up, he could always land a part in America's Biggest Loser (Celebrity Edition).

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-02-2010, 03:18 PM
reading the original post could cause ben to lose his eyesight...

seriously, you don't lose your job over this. he's a franchise QB who has been convicted of nothing criminal. he will comply with the league, get whatever "help" they deem necessary and step back into things. as noted by blastfurnace, he's got a huge contract, and DESERVEDLY SO. i think he's an outstanding QB who made some poor choices. but he won't lose his job and he SHOULDN'T lose his job either...

i'm somewhat dumbfounded at the fickleness of people who loved this man while standing on podiums in detroit and tampa, yet have turned against him now. well, i haven't and i still want Ben on this team...

zulater
05-02-2010, 03:30 PM
First of all, have you ever heard of a paragraph? It's a novel literary device - look into it, my good man. If not for yourself, then for the sake of others...

Now, to address your post: I'm pretty sure that no one here is seriously looking at Ben's tenure in Pittsburgh as a given - Ben came pretty damn close to losing his job here already and I'm pretty sure that Pittsburgh (at least secretly) runs "a three S \_ u 7 s you're out policy". He's been lucky so far, but I have a feeling that if this season ends up being a gigantic bust, the blame will be placed on him. Dennis Dixon - if he plays above and beyond expectations - that too might spell out some trouble for the big guy.

And speaking of which, a diet wouldn't hurt either. Ben always wanted to have a reality show - and, well, since he's going to have all of this free time coming up, he could always land a part in America's Biggest Loser (Celebrity Edition).

I would say Ben's tenure is entirely in Ben's hands. In other words as long as Ben doesn't have any further off field incidents ( and I'm confident he wont) then he's in no danger of losing his job to Dennis Dixon, Byron Leftwich or anyone else.

AndyWitmyer
05-02-2010, 03:31 PM
@FloridaSteelersFan - About the fickleness of some Steelers fans about Ben - I'm n9ot sure if you were talking to me, but regardless, I just wanted to say that I definitely want Ben to remain on the roster and, if possible, I would certainly prefer it if he could start every game this season. I continue to use his image as an avatar because, regardless of the accusations, he's STILL my favorite QB in the league. His intangibles are what set him a part. He's incredibly untraditional. And I love that.

That having been said, I'm pretty sure that regardless of his level of talent, if the Rooney's know or suspect that Ben's personal life is a lot darker than we know, then it honestly wouldn't surprise me if one day they might give him the boot. I'd be sad, but whatever. I was really talented and respected at my job but the moment I failed a random drug test, they canned my ass. On the same day they gave me a 50 cent raise no less. So, from my perspective at least - these things happen. Ben isn't invincible.

I just hope he can get his life in order. I want him to be in control of his destiny and to win us another ring or three. But at this rate, I'm deeply afraid that he's going to end up getting himself in even more trouble. I may joke around with Ben sometimes, but its all in jest. The guy is so talented.... the whole situation he's in makes me sad.

zulater
05-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think Ben is nearly the gangster he's made out to be. He's been a big idiot no doubt, but I really believe he was railroaded by a gang of sorority sisters in this case.

MACH1
05-02-2010, 03:40 PM
FLUSH

zulater
05-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Sadly, you're probably right.

Why is that sad? :noidea:

I guess you don't believe in second chances? I mean hell, the guy never even was charged or arrested? Oh yeah, you're one of those that believe he got away with rape I suppose?Ben's greatest escape ever, the one where he rapes a girl but leaves no DNA behind after unprotected sex.

Brilliant!

zulater
05-02-2010, 03:52 PM

I saw Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, and Kordell Stewart derail championship caliber teams. So I disagree with the idea that it doesn't matter who the quarterback is.

tube517
05-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I can't see after reading this :sofunny:

reading the original post could cause ben to lose his eyesight...
seriously, you don't lose your job over this. he's a franchise QB who has been convicted of nothing criminal. he will comply with the league, get whatever "help" they deem necessary and step back into things. as noted by blastfurnace, he's got a huge contract, and DESERVEDLY SO. i think he's an outstanding QB who made some poor choices. but he won't lose his job and he SHOULDN'T lose his job either...

i'm somewhat dumbfounded at the fickleness of people who loved this man while standing on podiums in detroit and tampa, yet have turned against him now. well, i haven't and i still want Ben on this team...

msafford
05-02-2010, 04:19 PM
reading the original post could cause ben to lose his eyesight......

Hey.....if Ben was doing more of certain activities at home that are rumored to cause a male to "lose his eyesight," then the Steelers wouldn't even be in this "sticky" situation, now would they? :wink02::sofunny:

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 04:44 PM
no matter who the QB is, they will only be as successful as the team as a whole! If this team struggles along the O line, it really won't matter.

:toofunny:

yeah, Ben's really been failing hard with all of the 40-50 sacks he's been taking every season...

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Omg, you dont lose your job over some crap that you havent even been convicted for when you are infinitely more talented than everyone else at your position on your team.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey.....if Ben was doing more of certain activities at home that are rumored to cause a male to "lose his eyesight," then the Steelers wouldn't even be in this "sticky" situation, now would they? :wink02::sofunny:

LOL!!!! Yeah, that's the oldest trick a father will use on his child... "Son, don't do that...it causes blindness." Good stuff!!:tt02:

mikegrimey
05-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I saw Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, and Kordell Stewart derail championship caliber teams. So I disagree with the idea that it doesn't matter who the quarterback is.

Bingo! Only seldom do teams get away with dragging a QB along for the ride during a championship campaign (TB and Baltimore in the last decade), and typically these teams don't stay at the top for long with average signal callers.

MattsMe
05-02-2010, 05:38 PM
FLUSH

Exactly. That first post was brutal. Couldn't read it.

steel9guy
05-02-2010, 05:56 PM

That was a classic quote.

siss
05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I would bet the first born if his suspension isn't down to 4 games he could lose his job. I think it would be very smart for Ben to go into camp with the thinking that he has to keep his job.

Nadroj 20
05-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah to be honest i read the first 3 lines of the OP and just stopped because it hurt my eyes.

Once ben is able to play he will play. Its that simple.

HometownGal
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm going to combine this thread with the other thread on the same topic. Folks - when posting a new thread, please check to make sure there isn't an already existing thread on the same subject. :banging: :banging: :banging:

GBMelBlount
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
One thing we can all agree on is that we need to play better this year, and not lose games that we should win!

Exactly Bill.

We won 5-6 games we were losing in the 4th quarter in 2008......

in 2009 we lost 4 or 5 games we were winning in the 4th quarter.

Doesn't add up...

Something was missing last year and I think was the collective will to win.

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Is Ben allowed back for OTA's btw?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Is Ben allowed back for OTA's btw?

I don't think so. Not sure when they are going to let him rejoin the team. :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Didn't read all of the posts on this one but I don't think there is any chance that the QB who plays the first 4 games will play well enough to displace Ben. None of them are good enough. Lefty lost his job in Jacksonville and Tampa Bay. Dixon is not ready. Batch is past his prime. I say we are lucky if we go 1-3 in the first 4 games without Ben. Unless the defense has some monster games.

pancake
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
This is my take...

Even if we go 4-0, we should still put Ben in there. I Don't think any other QB on the roster is going to get us another SB ring, so go ahead and put Ben in there and let him knock off his rust...