PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh, it looks like the Saints might be in some trouble...

steelerdude15
05-02-2010, 12:46 AM
O boy, just saw this on ESPN and wanted to post this for everyone to see. Here's the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5153943

AllD
05-02-2010, 06:52 AM
4 game suspension and $100k fine.

HometownGal
05-02-2010, 07:08 AM
I have my doubts here, but will wait until more info is out on the table before I rush to any type of judgment.

stillers4me
05-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Let the media and public lynching begin..........

Godfather
05-02-2010, 09:38 AM

Yep. An allegation is sufficient for a suspension.

Unless it's the Patriots* and there's a smoking gun.

steelerdude15
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Yeah knowing Goodell, the Saints won't be playing for four games... the whole team that is.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Yep. An allegation is sufficient for a suspension.

Unless it's the Patriots* and there's a smoking gun.

Don't you mean smoking camera? :chuckle:

SMR
05-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah knowing Goodell, the Saints won't be playing for four games... the whole team that is.

:chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
05-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I swear, if Goodell suspends their head coach for this when he didn't suspend Bellichick......then we seriously need to revolt.

SMR
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I swear, if Goodell suspends their head coach for this when he didn't suspend Bellichick......then we seriously need to revolt.

Not a bad idea.

Galax Steeler
05-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I have my doubts here, but will wait until more info is out on the table before I rush to any type of judgment.

Agreed that is the approach I took with Ben and that is what I will do with this situation.

zulater
05-02-2010, 10:48 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13337018/dea-looking-into-claims-made-by-lawsuit-against-saints?tag=headlines;nfl

It wont matter if the charges are true or not,Herr Goebels will sweep it under the rug just as he did with Cable and Bellicheat. Once you become an NFL head coach the rules no longer apply. It's such a crock that everyone wanted to make sure Roger the Dodger punished the white qb even though no charges are pending, but they ignore the fact that he operates with a seperate set of rules for head coaches.

Oh and as for the Saints story being suspicious. Screw that, we're supposed to take the word of drunken cruising sorority girls as gospel truth, even thougn the supposed victim never followed through with her claims, yet we have to dismiss out of hand claims made by a retired FBI agent?

Yeah that's what the league will sell us, but Goodell can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. I hope this case blows up right before the league's eyes and Goerings is shown for the lying bastard hypocrite he's been all along.

CanadianSteel
05-03-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13337018/dea-looking-into-claims-made-by-lawsuit-against-saints?tag=headlines;nfl

It wont matter if the charges are true or not,Herr Goebels will sweep it under the rug just as he did with Cable and Bellicheat. Once you become an NFL head coach the rules no longer apply. It's such a crock that everyone wanted to make sure Roger the Dodger punished the white qb even though no charges are pending, but they ignore the fact that he operates with a seperate set of rules for head coaches.

Oh and as for the Saints story being suspicious. Screw that, we're supposed to take the word of drunken cruising sorority girls as gospel truth, even thougn the supposed victim never followed through with her claims, yet we have to dismiss out of hand claims made by a retired FBI agent?

Yeah that's what the league will sell us, but Goodell can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned. I hope this case blows up right before the league's eyes and Goerings is shown for the lying bastard hypocrite he's been all along.

Wow a common sense appraoch here and kinda sums up what I was thinking. Hope the leauge plans to investigate every serious allegation and suspend accordingly otherwise its hypocrsiy....

Dino 6 Rings
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
6 Game Suspension that could be reduced if these Saints folks go to "behavior therapy"

Mmmm...tastes so good doesn't it.

zulater
05-03-2010, 12:11 PM
6 Game Suspension that could be reduced if these Saints folks go to "behavior therapy"

Mmmm...tastes so good doesn't it.

All kidding aside, something happened here, something that probably broke federal laws concerning controlled substances. And is often the case the cover up might eventually exceeed the crime. It looks to me as if Payton and the Saints conspired to cover up for the lb's coach. This should be a major concern for the league. This should be a major topic driving sports radio and commentary on web sites. But it's not because Herr Goering says it's not and the media all so obligingly meakly walk by in stupefied agreement. "Nothing to see boys, just keep moving along the trail. If you're good maybe I can throw you some nuggets on Ben Roethlsiberger to keep you in story. I'll tell you how I plan to keep him suspended through the full 6 games and maybe more even though he'll feel as if he's complying with the conditions set forth in his suspension."( bad feeling this will somehow come to pass)

Back on topic, this guy's motives might be sketchy, but he's retired FBI and he's not going foward with something like this without good documentation. It aint made up folks. The league might try to cover this up, but it's not going to go away. There's going to be repurcussions, and if Goodell continues to try to sweep this under the rug the NFLPA better get it's head out of it's ass and realize the double standard that's being employed with regards to conduct violations players compared to coaches!

Third Rail
05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Can coaches be suspended by the NFL Commissioner?

If so, then I find it really interesting that Belichick didn't get suspended for cheating and Tom Cable didn't get suspended for "allegedly" punching out his assistant coach. Now, I know that Cable wasn't charged, but apparently you don't have to be charged with anything to get suspended. And since Cable already had previous allegations against him (from his ex wife and ex girlfriend) I think that would fit Goodell's definition of someone who "continues to put himself in this position."

zulater
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Can coaches be suspended by the NFL Commissioner?

If so, then I find it really interesting that Belichick didn't get suspended for cheating and Tom Cable didn't get suspended for "allegedly" punching out his assistant coach. Now, I know that Cable wasn't charged, but apparently you don't have to be charged with anything to get suspended. And since Cable already had previous allegations against him (from his ex wife and ex girlfriend) I think that would fit Goodell's definition of someone who "continues to put himself in this position."

Of course the commisioneer of the NFL has the power to discipline coaches, owners, GM's or anyone else associated with the league.

Third Rail
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, I knew they could be fined and punished in other ways (I think they fined Belicheat and took away a draft pick or something) but I wasn't sure if they could actually suspend coaches for games. They absolutely SHOULD though in cases where the coach's controversial actions jeopardize the integrity of the NFL in general.

How CHEATING for most of the decade or BEATING UP members of your staff doesn't qualify is beyond me.