PDA

View Full Version : Sweed injured

stillers4me
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I just received a text that Limas Sweed injured his achilles in the final minicamp workout.

Prok
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Ugh, hopefully it's not severe.

I was hoping he'd at least earn the #4 WR spot this year.

stillers4me
05-02-2010, 12:40 PM
From the Steelers Facebook page....... "In the last of five minicamp practices, Limas Sweed injured his Achilles. Coach Mike Tomlin said Sweed's status will be determined by an examination, but a torn Achilles tendon is an injury that can require up to 12 months of rehabilitation."

Wow. Hopefully it's not torn. The kid was probably trying too hard.

Bluedust
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Just heard it was serious. :rofl:

stillers4me
05-02-2010, 12:46 PM

You think it's funny?? :mad:

SMR
05-02-2010, 12:51 PM

What's up with that? Would you be laughing if it happened to you?

stillers4me
05-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I feel bad for the kid...he seemed so excited about proving himself this year. Now we may never know how good he could be.

GBMelBlount
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Stillers4me

I feel bad for the kid...he seemed so excited about proving himself this year.

Now we may never know how good he could be.

Unfortunately, I think we have our answer...

pancake
05-02-2010, 12:58 PM

:noidea: Some people I don't get...

Bluedust
05-02-2010, 01:01 PM
The guy can't catch a break, I apologize mightily over some colored pixels.

I can assure you I wasn't laughing maniacally in real life.

Edit: And yes I have laughed over myself sometimes when crazy stuff keeps happening to me.

mesaSteeler
05-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Steelers wide receiver may have serious tendon injury
Sunday, May 02, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10122/1055067-100.stm

The bad luck continued today for Steelers wide receiver Limas Sweed, who left the final minicamp practice with what appears to be a serious Achilles tendon injury, coach Mike Tomlin revealed.

Sweed, the team's second-round draft pick in 2008, was mounting a comeback from some emotional issues that caused the Steelers to place him on injured reserve for the final two games of last season.

If the tendon is ruptured, it likely would mean that Sweed could not play in 2010.

Chidi29
05-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Probably IR.

pancake
05-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Probably IR.

I think that would almost be a definite.

Prok
05-02-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not even a big fan of his but damn this is sad if it's serious. I feel soooooooo bad for the kid.

Here's to a speedy recovery Limas! :tt:

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Omg, i was willing to give the kid 3 years to prove himself....and now we might never know. I'll be pissed if he gets cut and becomes everything we hoped for on another team

Chidi29
05-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Awful news. Gotta feel for the kid. Thought he still had a promising career, too.

polamalubeast
:crying02::banging:

SH-Rock
well if it's a 12 month injury then good bye sweed

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10122/1055067-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Steelers wide receiver may have serious tendon injury
Sunday, May 02, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The bad luck continued today for Steelers wide receiver Limas Sweed, who left the final minicamp practice with what appears to be a serious Achilles tendon injury, coach Mike Tomlin revealed.

Sweed, the team's second-round draft pick in 2008, was mounting a comeback from some emotional issues that caused the Steelers to place him on injured reserve for the final two games of last season.

If the tendon is ruptured, it likely would mean that Sweed could not play in 2010.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10122/1055067-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0mnHDeEax

come on sweed...hang in there

AllD
05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
If he is done then the Steelers settle with him and he is released. No use wasting anymore time with this experiment.

Chidi29
05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
To play the role of an optimist, remember that we all freaked out when Starks injured Ben's Achilles on the final day of camp last year.

Burghfan58
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM
It seemed as though he just got his life back on track from whatever issues he was dealing with. If this is serious as beleived this will not only set him back physicaly but mentaly as well. Too bad. Here we are 4 months from the season and the bad news continues.

MACH1
05-02-2010, 01:35 PM
That sucks.

Guy can't catch a break. No pun intended.

steelreserve
05-02-2010, 01:42 PM
What's up with that? Would you be laughing if it happened to you?

I think the idea is that it's *almost* funny just because of the cartoonish bad luck. Like, "What's going to happen next to the poor guy -- is an anvil going to fall on his head?"

After that half-second of ridiculousness wears off, this sucks and I feel pretty bad for the guy. Though I bet we give him one more shot next season unless one of our rookie WRs turns out to be awesome. Keeping a guy on IR doesn't really cost you.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-02-2010, 01:46 PM
The guy can't catch a break...

And all along I thought footballs were the only thing he couldn't catch...

SteelCurtain5643
05-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, it looks like we'll get to see what Emmanuel Sanders is made of, should be interesting, I guess he's pretty decent

mikeyg
05-02-2010, 02:07 PM
i heard he might be out for the season already

out for his career - he has been the classic BUST.

Davison_K
05-02-2010, 02:15 PM
That sucks. I really feel bad for him. I really thought he was going to try and make an impact this year and I wanted to see him step up.

I kinda feel like this ends his time with the Steelers.

BlastFurnace
05-02-2010, 02:41 PM

huh

Nadroj 20
05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
A friend of mine tore his achilles tendon about 2 years ago and it is a very serious injury. Quite Painful and the surgery is no walk in the park either. This type of injury can be worse then a torn ACL.

I feel bad for Sweed and hope it is not torn. If it is, its going to be a long process for him.

Merchant
05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Damn... good thing we got Randle El, Sanders, Battle, and Brown.. especially looking forward to see what Sanders can do

AndyWitmyer
05-02-2010, 03:54 PM
God damn, that kid can never catch a break. Or a ball for that matter...

I'm just kidding about the latter - I always supported him and I was VERY excited to see him break out this season. Guess that won't be happening. Poor Sweed. Cursed from the start it seems. : / I just hope he can recover as fast as possible.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I really do feel for the kid... my fear is that he's just not mentally tough enough to come back from this. hope i'm wrong, though. guess we'll see what he's made of, but i have no expectations that he'll recover from this...

pete74
05-02-2010, 05:04 PM
he dosnt have a chance to ever be a starter like some of you think but i still feel bad he got injured. i think this was his final year as a steeler whether he got injured or not

DoubleSh0t
05-02-2010, 05:07 PM
What a shame. I was really hoping that he would come out this year and light it up, or at least show that he can play football. As other have said, we now may never know what his true potential is. I really hope it is not serious.

Blackvette
05-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Kid was injured at Texas in his final season, has an unknown illness, and now this?

This game requires mental and physical preparation - on the surface, he has done neither.

:coffee:

SteelKnight
05-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, it looks like we'll get to see what Emmanuel Sanders is made of, should be interesting, I guess he's pretty decent

Yeah...It's too bad about Sweed. He was the one I was most excited to see. They will place him on IR or settle. They can't outright cut him. He really hasn't played in 3 years. That may bee too long. I'd be thrilled if this wasn't serious and he comes back.

I will turn my excitement towards Sanders. He had been getting me excited with his talk anyway.

“I think I am a dynamic playmaker,” said Sanders. “I am very fast, very elusive just love to make big plays.

“We already have a receiver in Mike Wallace who has speed. I feel with my speed, two dynamic receivers like that with that kind of speed we can stretch the field, stretch the defense and they will be in a world of trouble.”

I'm glad the Steelers are pulling back and letting him talk. Of course he will have to cover that talk with action but I like it. There is no "Settle down son" like there used to be. I hope Sanders beats Randel El. I hope Brown wins the fifth position if Sweed is gone and not Arnez Battle.

Jaquila
05-02-2010, 05:47 PM
and its over =/
sorry Sweed (I hoped so much that you would bounce back from 2 horrible seasons) but I think you need to find a new job...

Hotrodder07
05-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Terrible news. You just have to feel bad for him. He's had such a rough couple years, and just when it seemed like he might make a comeback, this happens. Everybody in Pittsburgh has been rooting for this guy to do well, but he just can't catch a break.

Slanted August
05-02-2010, 07:35 PM
This sucks in so many ways...

Who do we have on the current roster that is 6' plus?

theplatypus
05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Hopefully it isn't too serious and he will be ready for the 2010 season.

wootawnee
05-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Sorry Limas....I thought you had your stuff together this season....Its just not fair dude....Any way if the Steelers let you go, dont worry, You will be catching balls from Brady, or someone else in the league who wont have a fan base that puts the weight of the world on you for dropping 2 balls..........Hang in their bro, cause it will seem like you will never heal....But you will in time.......Stay posetive........

DoubleSh0t
05-02-2010, 08:12 PM
This sucks in so many ways...

Who do we have on the current roster that is 6' plus?

Besides our TEs, Battle (6'1") and Sweed. That's it.

Chidi29
05-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Besides our TEs, Battle (6'1") and Sweed. That's it.

Brandon London is 6'4.

DoubleSh0t
05-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Woops, thought he was listed as TE for some reason.

OneForTheToe
05-02-2010, 10:17 PM
and its over =/
sorry Sweed (I hoped so much that you would bounce back from 2 horrible seasons) but I think you need to find a new job...

I hope we keep him and put him on IR (or whatever it is called since it is before the season starts). We gain nothing by cutting him. He would have had a tough time making the team this season anyways. But next year, after the lockout, maybe there is room for him on the team. Look, if next year he does emerge as a credible player, it will be like finding a twenty dollar bill in your pocke,t on laundry day, that you forgot about.

Sucks for him though.

zulater
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I imagine in a situation like this they'll reach an injury settlement with sweed and he'll likely try to make a new start of it somewhere else in 2011.

Some things just weren't meant to be.

Steeldude
05-02-2010, 10:32 PM
I hope we keep him and put him on IR (or whatever it is called since it is before the season starts). We gain nothing by cutting him

i don't think you can cut an injured player. he must be placed on IR.

OneForTheToe
05-02-2010, 10:38 PM
i don't think you can cut an injured player. he must be placed on IR.

You can work out an injury settlement with him. I don't see the point. He is not getting paid that much since all his bonus money is already paid. If he goes on IR, he doesn't cost us a roster space. We were willing to give him another chance this year so why not next.

Could be found money.

Chidi29
05-02-2010, 10:42 PM
You can work out an injury settlement with him. I don't see the point. He is not getting paid that much since all his bonus money is already paid. If he goes on IR, he doesn't cost us a roster space. We were willing to give him another chance this year so why not next.

Could be found money.

Doesn't a player have to go on IR first before being able to work out a settlement?

wootawnee
05-03-2010, 12:00 AM
He's still way young....Hold on to him if he wants........

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I think they have an option to do a "waived / injured settlement"... But I don't see this being the case with Sweed due to his 2nd round draft status. I'm guessing they'll wait this out and then put him on I.R. - there are also some roster numbers to consider (ie. total players allowed), so they'll look at their best options and go from there.

zulater
05-03-2010, 12:10 AM
I think they have an option to do a "waived / injured settlement"... But I don't see this being the case with Sweed due to his 2nd round draft status. I'm guessing they'll wait this out and then put him on I.R. - there are also some roster numbers to consider (ie. total players allowed), so they'll look at their best options and go from there.

This is the same amount of years in that they cut Zo Jackson and Bruce Davis. Some other too, he's had his chance, it's just not meant to be between he and the Steelers. I'm nearly certain they'll give him an injury settlement and send him packing.

Preacher
05-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Could be found money.

Bingo. If it doesn't cost us a space, costs us very little money, and we really haven't seen what he can do... there is nothing wrong with him sitting on IR.

Then next year, it is a make or cut out of camp year.

KeiselPower99
05-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Amazing how people turn on a guy. I with alot of you had high hopes for Limas when we drafted him. The kid has had alot of personal issues to deal with since he joined us and really needed to get out there and play. I wish Limas the best and hope we keep him around for next year so he can make a great impact.

steelerdude15
05-03-2010, 01:18 AM
I hope that Sweed gets better soon!

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 02:00 AM
I think they will keep him and place him on IR. The reason is they signed a 4 year contract...not a 3 year. If it was a 3 year, they would have had to make a tender offer next year as a RFA. Now, they can place him on IR which will allow him to stay with the team, watch film, continue to learn, continue to study the playbook etc. He just can't practice.

Preacher
05-03-2010, 02:02 AM
I hope that Sweed gets better soon!
Forgot to place this in my post as well.

Me too. Sucks for the kid. Especially after going home and working through whatever stuff he had to deal with.

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 02:26 AM
If Sweed is gone, let it be known I don't like Randel El and I'm rooting for Sanders.

The only thing I like Randel El for is trick plays. The guy has a career completion percentage of 80%. It boggles my mind hy the redskins didn't use him more passing in trick plays. I hope the Steelers take advantage.

As a WR, I don't like the fact that he has only 8 TDs in the past 4 years (zero last year). We need Red Zone production. He has none and he also is no "deep threat". In his 8 year career, he had just 6 receptions over 40 yards (3 in the past 4 years)...compare that to Wallace who had 6 just last year. Why should we compare him to Wallace? Well he's taking over Wallace's old position as #3 and if he can't stretch the field, it will hurt everyone. That's all I needed to see but if you are not convinced, Wallace had 20 catces for more than 20 yards last year...Randel El had 5.

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 04:33 AM
I was wanting to see what Sweed could have done this year. It seems he had his head into it and ready for a come back. I guess we will not find out this year.

As some one else stated we will see what Sanders can do. Hopefully he can beat out Randel El and battler for the no.3 spot.

HometownGal
05-03-2010, 07:15 AM
What a crying shame. :shake01: I really had high hopes for this young man this season. I hope the Steelers don't cut him, allow him the time to rehab and give him a shot next season. :hope:

Fire Haley
05-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Technically, NFL players injured on the job while under contract cannot be cut, without compensation. (injury settlement)

mikeyg
05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
If Sweed is gone, let it be known I don't like Randel El and I'm rooting for Sanders.

The only thing I like Randel El for is trick plays. The guy has a career completion percentage of 80%. It boggles my mind hy the redskins didn't use him more passing in trick plays. I hope the Steelers take advantage.

As a WR, I don't like the fact that he has only 8 TDs in the past 4 years (zero last year). We need Red Zone production. He has none and he also is no "deep threat". In his 8 year career, he had just 6 receptions over 40 yards (3 in the past 4 years)...compare that to Wallace who had 6 just last year. Why should we compare him to Wallace? Well he's taking over Wallace's old position as #3 and if he can't stretch the field, it will hurt everyone. That's all I needed to see but if you are not convinced, Wallace had 20 catces for more than 20 yards last year...Randel El had 5.

i will make a note, but also look at the fine offense he played in. he was much more productive with Kordell and Tommy Gun for a couple of years. May the best player win, but i like ARE in the slot.. no, he does not have Wallace's speed, but Wallace does not have ARE's smarts.

43Hitman
05-03-2010, 08:27 AM
What a crying shame. :shake01: I really had high hopes for this young man this season. I hope the Steelers don't cut him, allow him the time to rehab and give him a shot next season. :hope:

Me too, I was really looking forward to seeing some progress this season with him. I have made it well known in the past that I am a full supporter of Sweed. I think threads were even locked in some of those discussions. lol.

Good luck Sweed and heal quickly, most of us are pulling for you man.

43Hitman
05-03-2010, 08:30 AM
i will make a note, but also look at the fine offense he played in. he was much more productive with Kordell and Tommy Gun for a couple of years. May the best player win, but i like ARE in the slot.. no, he does not have Wallace's speed, but Wallace does not have ARE's smarts.

Yeah, that a good point. El is a savvy vet and knows all the little tricks to getting separation. Also, El had Campbell throwing to him the last few years, with no other threats playing beside him. El is a role player and will do just fine back here in the Black & Gold.

Third Rail
05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Shame about Sweed. Hopefully it's not a serious injury but man, if it is, that really has to suck to be in his shoes (no pun intended). He was clearly really hoping to make an impact this season and even if it turned out poorly, at least he would have had the chance.

Damn, I hate injuries.

memphissteelergirl
05-03-2010, 10:04 AM

So true...he was really looking to prove himself this year.

Get well soon, Limas!

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM

What smarts does ARE have? lol Is that just a way to convert his age into wisdom? lol AREs numbers in Pittsburgh were not too impressive either. I think the Redskins saw that Super Bowl pass and overpaid. Please note that for most of the years in Wash he was a starter so that should have given him even MORE opportunity.

During ARE time in Pitt (4 years) he only had 3 receptions for over 40 yards and they all came that final year when he was a starter. He went 3 years with none as a second round pick. That final year as a starter he only had 1 TD reception. In fact in his 4 years at Pitt, he only had 7 TD receptions. Compare that to Wallace who had 6 TDs in his rookie season.

I really hope Sanders can beat ARE.

I'm not at all sure why we signed Arnez battle. It may be fore the 9 tackles he made...presumably on ST. What was shocking to me is that he fumbled the ball 6 times punt returning last year. After 5, they should have benched him. he only had one good year tackling on ST so I wouldn't call him a ST ace. In the previous 4 years, e had 5 tackles. Last year could have been a fluke. I hope they cut him.

BlastFurnace
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
What smarts does ARE have? lol Is that just a way to convert his age into wisdom? lol AREs numbers in Pittsburgh were not too impressive either. I think the Redskins saw that Super Bowl pass and overpaid. Please note that for most of the years in Wash he was a starter so that should have given him even MORE opportunity.

During ARE time in Pitt (4 years) he only had 3 receptions for over 40 yards and they all came that final year when he was a starter. He went 3 years with none as a second round pick. That final year as a starter he only had 1 TD reception. In fact in his 4 years at Pitt, he only had 7 TD receptions. Compare that to Wallace who had 6 TDs in his rookie season.

I really hope Sanders can beat ARE.

ARE isn't going anywhere. I think this was a good signing for us. Originally, he was going to be our #4, but thanks to Santonio's idiocy, he is now our #3. I still think this was a good signing though.

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 12:45 PM
ARE isn't going anywhere. I think this was a good signing for us. Originally, he was going to be our #4, but thanks to Santonio's idiocy, he is now our #3. I still think this was a good signing though.

I know he is not going anywhere. He will make the team just out of respect of experience. Fine. I just want him to be number 4 or 5 and not number 3 unless BA can figure out a way to incorporate some of his passing into trick plays.

Antonio Brown is a confident guy too. Remember he told Michael Irvin to
tell everyone he was the best at the combine.

revefsreleets
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
As a person, I hope Sweed makes a full recovery ASAP.

As a Steeler, I'm glad we can finally put "The Sweed experiment" failure behind us and move on.

solardave
05-03-2010, 12:47 PM

If you think that's funny you are an idiot!!!

BlastFurnace
05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I know he is not going anywhere. He will make the team just out of respect of experience. Fine. I just want him to be number 4 or 5 and not number 3 unless BA can figure out a way to incorporate some of his passing into trick plays.

Antonio Brown is a confident guy too. Remember he told Michael Irvin to
tell everyone he was the best at the combine.

We can thank Santonio for ARE being upgraded to the #3. That wasn't the original intent.

I think we have the makings of a solid WR corp. It all depends on how Mike Wallace does. If he sophmore slumps, bad news.

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
We can thank Santonio for ARE being upgraded to the #3. That wasn't the original intent.

I think we have the makings of a solid WR corp. It all depends on how Mike Wallace does. If he sophmore slumps, bad news.

The Steelers knew about the positive test and maybe they were pondering trading Santonio but he accelerated it with his actions (glass/twitter). They had told Randel El he could help out for 3rd. We were all baffled but now it makes sense.

BlastFurnace
05-03-2010, 01:07 PM
The Steelers knew about the positive test and maybe they were pondering trading Santonio but he accelerated it with his actions (glass/twitter). They had told Randel El he could help out for 3rd. We were all baffled but now it makes sense.

You're probably right about that. ARE probably leaked out some info...about him being the 3rd receiver...earlier than he should have.

Dino 6 Rings
05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, I was one of the hold outs hoping Sweed turned his carreer around...this sucks big time.

Nadroj 20
05-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Has anyone heard any updates? I still haven't heard the complete extent of the injury.

pancake
05-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I really hope we keep him and give him that final chance that he didn't get this year.

STEELAMANIA
05-03-2010, 01:44 PM
I guess i have to change my sig.......what a bummer.

Indo
05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Has anyone heard any updates? I still haven't heard the complete extent of the injury.

Possible Ruptured Achilles tendon

This is from Bleacher Report:

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b3YQX

Steelers' Sweed May Be Done for Season

5/02/2010 6:18 PM ET By JJ Cooper

JJ Cooper
NFL Blogger
Any hope Limas Sweed had of turning his pro career around in 2010 may already be over.

The troubled Steelers wide receiver injured his Achilles' tendon during the team's final minicamp practice this week. If further tests show that it's ruptured, Sweed's season is already finished. That would be a disappointing third season for the wideout who's already been placed on injured reserve once for off-the-field emotional issues and spent two seasons often dropping the few passes thrown his way.

Sweed was looking at a difficult road to a roster spot with the Steelers, who drafted two wide receivers last month and have brought in free agents Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle to go with Hines Ward and Mike Wallace. But Sweed was the one big receiver among Pittsburgh's wideout candidates and there was a chance that he could have made a case to be a deep threat for a team that has plenty of possession receivers.

The 2008 second-round choice caught seven passes in his first two seasons. If he does have to be put on injured reserve, he still is under contract for 2011, but at some point Sweed's potential will be outweighed by all of his difficulties getting on the field.

(But I still haven't heard/found any "official" final reports/ MRI results)

theplatypus
05-03-2010, 02:36 PM

At this point there haven't been any updates on Sweed's condition. All of the out for season, negotiate a settlement talk is pure speculation.

pancake
05-03-2010, 04:37 PM
At this point there haven't been any updates on Sweed's condition. All of the out for season, negotiate a settlement talk is pure speculation.

PG say he had surgery today and could be out 4-6 months. He could be put on the PUP list and come back after week 6...

Fire Haley
05-03-2010, 04:43 PM
PG say he had surgery today and could be out 4-6 months. He could be put on the PUP list and come back after week 6...

He's cursed. He's done.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Really. Only four to six months. He may be back in September then if his rehab goes well.

ricardisimo
05-03-2010, 05:33 PM
For those who'd really like to see him back sooner:

According to emedicinehealth.com, a person with such an injury will miss four to six months of activity, however, "With motivation and rigorous physical therapy, elite athletes may return to athletics as early as 3 months after injury."

NJarhead
05-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Read that too. I want him back sooner just so we can see what we've got. There IS that outside chance that he could contribute despite his brief history.

OneForTheToe
05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
You know, I'm no doctor, but I have attempted to play doctor on a few occasions. :checkit::nono::angel: Achilles' tendons can be career ending, but my guess is that it might be worse for a linemen that a wide-out. At least a wide-out is more often vertical when impacted.

BigBen'sSwagger
05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Guess I am in the minority but I wish Limas well on his endevors after football. I do not want Limas to make the team, I don't trust him. What if he has a great year then folds in the post season when we need him most??? Sorry for being a downer just my 2cents.

theplatypus
05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Guess I am in the minority but I wish Limas well on his endevors after football. I do not want Limas to make the team, I don't trust him. What if he has a great year then folds in the post season when we need him most??? Sorry for being a downer just my 2cents.

What if?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Face it, folks...he's done for this season. There is NO way they would even attempt to hurry him back. It's not like he's even needed on this team, and I don't think they'd try to do any long-term damage by rushing him back too soon.

We've probably seen the last dropped ball from Sweed in a Steelers jersey forever...

NJarhead
05-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Face it, folks...he's done for this season. There is NO way they would even attempt to hurry him back. It's not like he's even needed on this team, and I don't think they'd try to do any long-term damage by rushing him back too soon.

We've probably seen the last dropped ball from Sweed in a Steelers jersey forever...

That really doesn't jive with what Tomlin was saying however.

theplatypus
05-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I was just watching the Steelers-Vikings game on NFL Replay and they had an blurb about Sweed. In a nutshell the Team expects him back for the season.

Boomerang
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Good luck Limas hope you recover well and fight for a place in our team.

SteelCurtain0815
05-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Has anyone heard any new news on Sweed's injury? I'm really hoping it's not as serious as what people are saying...

STEELAMANIA
05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
That leaves Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sanders, Battle, ????????

PalmerSteel
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Has anyone heard any new news on Sweed's injury? I'm really hoping it's not as serious as what people are saying...

Limas Sweed had surgery on Monday to repair his torn Achilles tendon, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Our View: While it's not outside the realm of possibility, Sweed is highly unlikely to get on the field in 2010. Considering he reeled in just one ball before getting injured last season, it's fair to say that his career could be in jeopardy. Stay tuned.

there was a 50/50 chance he made this team anyway. now its not even debatable IMO. tomlin can say what he wants right now, but he will get an injury settlement before the season starts and wont play for us, if anyone else, again. wasted draft pick.......:banging:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I believe I read today where if they only place him on the IR he counts toward the 80 players on the roster. If they do a waived/injury settlement, he can still be placed on IR (I think) but he does NOT count toward the 80 total allowable players.

We all know they won't waste his roster space...

SteelKnight
05-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Limas Sweed had surgery on Monday to repair his torn Achilles tendon, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Our View: While it's not outside the realm of possibility, Sweed is highly unlikely to get on the field in 2010. Considering he reeled in just one ball before getting injured last season, it's fair to say that his career could be in jeopardy. Stay tuned.

there was a 50/50 chance he made this team anyway. now its not even debatable IMO. tomlin can say what he wants right now, but he will get an injury settlement before the season starts and wont play for us, if anyone else, again. wasted draft pick.......:banging:

Stallworth was unproductive for his first 3 years. I'm glad they didn't cut him.

revefsreleets
05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Stallworth was unproductive for his first 3 years. I'm glad they didn't cut him.

Stallworth had as many TD's in his first three seasons as Sweed has CATCHES in his first two. He caught one bomb in '75 that nearly equaled Sweed's TOTAL yardage so far. I'd say maybe Nate Washington would be a more apt comparison. Sweed is so uber UNproductive, there really is no good comparison as far as successful WR's go....

I can't for the life of me understand even at this late date why so many people cling to the failed Sweed experiment? Sometimes players are great in college and can't cut it in the Pro ranks. For every Hines Ward, there are probably 15 Limas Sweed's, and there's really not much sense continually throwing good money after bad concerning these busts....

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
That leaves Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sanders, Battle, ????????

I can see Battle being retained as a STer...but I will be surprised if Antonio Brown doesnt bump him as a WR in addition to being our RS.

SteelGhost
05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Stallworth had as many TD's in his first three seasons as Sweed has CATCHES in his first two. He caught one bomb in '75 that nearly equaled Sweed's TOTAL yardage so far. I'd say maybe Nate Washington would be a more apt comparison. Sweed is so uber UNproductive, there really is no good comparison as far as successful WR's go....

I can't for the life of me understand even at this late date why so many people cling to the failed Sweed experiment? Sometimes players are great in college and can't cut it in the Pro ranks. For every Hines Ward, there are probably 15 Limas Sweed's, and there's really not much sense continually throwing good money after bad concerning these busts....

Neither do I revs :noidea: At this point they should not waste a roster spot in Limas, maybe that's the reason they drafted Emmanuel Sanders IMHO

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-05-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm inclined to believe that if Sweed was drafted just one round lower (3rd) then this story might not get the attention it does. Afterall, there are plenty of 3rd round receiving busts. But as a second rounder, who came as Ben's "tall receiver" I think it probably gets a little more play...

Shoot, Weegie Thompson did more than Sweed ever did...

XxKnightxX
05-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I think another reason that we tend to cling on to Sweed so much is because we dont want him to become like Mike Vrabel. Underused and when he goes with another team they play lights out. Theyre just milking the cow people

revefsreleets
05-05-2010, 04:55 PM
He's like a Yugo the Steelers bought new. Unfortunately, they overpaid. Now the car, although only two years old, pretty much doesn't run and has been in and out of the shop repeatedly. Rather than just take the loss on the thing and move on, some fans are just SURE if we just take it into the shop and spend a LITTLER more money on it, THIS time the investment will pay out.

Only problem is, even if you get the Yugo up and running, it's still just a Yugo.

NJarhead
05-05-2010, 05:11 PM
He's like a Yugo the Steelers bought new. Unfortunately, they overpaid. Now the car, although only two years old, pretty much doesn't run and has been in and out of the shop repeatedly. Rather than just take the loss on the thing and move on, some fans are just SURE if we just take it into the shop and spend a LITTLER more money on it, THIS time the investment will pay out.

Only problem is, even if you get the Yugo up and running, it's still just a Yugo.

While that is funny as hell, the "Yugo" will still get you to where you want to go once it's running.

SteelKnight
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Stallworth didn't have a good first 3 seasons. In his third season he had 111 yards. In those 3 seasons he averaged less than 2 catches per game. He had catches of 16, 20 and 9. Let's not sugar coat it. At the same time, we should not be comparing exact numbers because Stallworth played in way more games in those seasons.

My point is you never know. I'm not saying Sweed will be a Stallworth but what I am saying is I'd like to see him get one more chance...just 1 more though.

T&B fan
05-05-2010, 05:47 PM

yup same as Polishing :poop: its still :poop:

pete74
05-05-2010, 06:56 PM

i definatly agree with you. alot of these members here had some vision of sweed coming in this year and catching 80 some balls but it wasnt going to happen. he is a bust and odds are he probably wouldnt of made the roster even if he was 100% healthy. he is just another really good college athlete who couldnt ever adjust to the pro's

tomko89
05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
We are Stacked at WR
galloway
ward
wallace
BAker
Saunders
etc...

NJarhead
05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
We are Stacked at WR
galloway
ward
wallace
BAker
Saunders
etc...

We don't have Galloway anymore

Correct - He is now a Washington Redskin.

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
We don't have Galloway anymore

or baker

cloppbeast
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
I can't for the life of me understand even at this late date why so many people cling to the failed Sweed experiment? Sometimes players are great in college and can't cut it in the Pro ranks.

Well, he's only been in the league 2 years, he's had probably a total of 20 passes thrown to him, so I'd say it's a bit premature to count him a bust. So he dropped 2 big catches, Holmes also dropped like 5 in one game alone against Chicago last year. The difference: Holmes has had many chances prove he can catch, Sweed hasn't.

steelerchad
05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Sweed's career as a Steeler is over IMO. This injury is 2010 season ending. The Steelers will pay him some minimum injury settlement and then release him. There may not be football in 2011. It could be 2012 before he plays football again, if ever.

I had hoped he could step up this year and produce as a # 3 or #4 with Holmes gone. I thought maybe the Holmes thing could have been just the break he needed to get 1 more chance to prove himself. Not to be I guess.

BigBen'sSwagger
05-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, he's only been in the league 2 years, he's had probably a total of 20 passes thrown to him, so I'd say it's a bit premature to count him a bust. So he dropped 2 big catches, Holmes also dropped like 5 in one game alone against Chicago last year. The difference: Holmes has had many chances prove he can catch, Sweed hasn't.

Only been in the league 2 years. Hell he was drafted in the 2nd round and can't even crack the starting line up. He left the team last season for reasons we can only speculate on but it wasn't physical so was it mental??? He had problems in college as well face it he's a mental case and even though I salute his work ethic he doesn't have the mental stamina to make a difference. It is a shame but I sincerely wish him luck in his lifes work after football.

NJarhead
05-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Sweed's career as a Steeler is over IMO. This injury is 2010 season ending. The Steelers will pay him some minimum injury settlement and then release him. There may not be football in 2011. It could be 2012 before he plays football again, if ever.

I had hoped he could step up this year and produce as a # 3 or #4 with Holmes gone. I thought maybe the Holmes thing could have been just the break he needed to get 1 more chance to prove himself. Not to be I guess.

Only been in the league 2 years. Hell he was drafted in the 2nd round and can't even crack the starting line up. He left the team last season for reasons we can only speculate on but it wasn't physical so was it mental??? He had problems in college as well face it he's a mental case and even though I salute his work ethic he doesn't have the mental stamina to make a difference. It is a shame but I sincerely wish him luck in his lifes work after football.

Both great arguments.

Psyychoward86
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
We are Stacked at WR
galloway
ward
wallace
BAker
Saunders
etc...

galloway is gone, ward is nearing retirement, Wallace hasnt been tested against a starting CB yet, baker is playing arena football, we dont know jack about how Sanders is going to play until we see him play, Same with Antonio Brown. ARE is only a temporary solution to help, and Battle isnt that young and he's not a starter.

It sounds pessimistic, but im trying to analyze for everyone all the things that can go wrong. Im just reminding everyone that the worst crap imaginable can happen. Heck, just look at us last year, losing to some of the NFL's bottom feeder teams.

I feel like we're still pretty good at wide receiver, but we probably arent in perfect shape for the long term, YET.

NJarhead
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
galloway is gone, ward is nearing retirement, Wallace hasnt been tested against a starting CB yet, baker is playing arena football, we dont know jack about how Sanders is going to play until we see him play, Same with Antonio Brown. ARE is only a temporary solution to help, and Battle isnt that young and he's not a starter.

It sounds pessimistic, but im trying to analyze for everyone all the things that can go wrong. Im just reminding everyone that the worst crap imaginable can happen. Heck, just look at us last year, losing to some of the NFL's bottom feeder teams.

I feel like we're still pretty good at wide receiver, but we probably arent in perfect shape for the long term, YET.

That wasn't because of our offense. Our offense learned how to win a game on their own when ST's wasn't screwing it up or our secondary wasn't getting torched. Unless I'm mistaken, we never lost a game by more than 7 points.

pete74
05-06-2010, 03:56 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Limas_Sweed_was_headed_to_Tampa/2537482

sounds like we were going to trade him to Tampa before his injury then tampa pulled out.

Galax Steeler
05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/Limas_Sweed_was_headed_to_Tampa/2537482

sounds like we were going to trade him to Tampa before his injury then tampa pulled out.

That is ashamed we couldn't have got him dealt before he got injured.:banging:

pete74
05-06-2010, 04:31 PM
i think everyone except for a few members here knew he was a bust

revefsreleets
05-06-2010, 05:13 PM
i think everyone except for a few members here knew he was a bust

Ummmm....no. There were a LOT of members, including many in "the braintrust" (The Social Group, I mean...of course) who were absolutely convinced that, no matter what, no matter how many glances up at the goalline or jumbotron that would have otherwise resulted in TD passes that probably would have won games, no matter how many OTHER dropped balls, no matter how many this, that, or the other, Sweed was GOING to pan out and the rest of us sane people were just flat out wrong.

And if you disagree, they'll (deflect, cough cough) and tell you all about Ted Ginn Jr.

pete74
05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Ummmm....no. There were a LOT of members, including many in "the braintrust" (The Social Group, I mean...of course) who were absolutely convinced that, no matter what, no matter how many glances up at the goalline or jumbotron that would have otherwise resulted in TD passes that probably would have won games, no matter how many OTHER dropped balls, no matter how many this, that, or the other, Sweed was GOING to pan out and the rest of us sane people were just flat out wrong.

And if you disagree, they'll (deflect, cough cough) and tell you all about Ted Ginn Jr.

what are you talking about?? i always said and belive that sweed will never be a starter and never had starter potential in the nfl

ricardisimo
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Sweed is god, and is just biding his time, learning the system. You'll see. And there's something else I'm supposed to say...? Oh, yeah... something about Ted Ginn. So there!

Psyychoward86
05-06-2010, 08:12 PM
what are you talking about?? i always said and belive that sweed will never be a starter and never had starter potential in the nfl

he's right, (this was kind of before you joined the forums)

tony hipchest
05-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Sweed is god, and is just biding his time, learning the system. You'll see. And there's something else I'm supposed to say...? Oh, yeah... something about Ted Ginn. So there!

stop it.

you might make him cry.... the hater still hasnt gotten over texas beating osu.

(but if you really wanna see the waterworks, just point out how the dunce imbicile vince young is still 10X>>>>>> troy smith.)

:sofunny:

Aussie_steeler
05-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Call me a sucker, but I still hold out hope for a cinderella story for Limas Sweed.

Hell I even hold out hope for a cinderella story for Ryan Mundy, Tony Hills, Kraig Urbik, Matt Spaeth and the rest of the battlers on the roster. It may never eventuate, but I still hold hope.

When Sweed is out of the league for good I will make my determination. ( Just as I will for Ted Ginn, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vernon Gholston etc)

But I know one thing for sure and certain - I would gladly let you call be a bust ( and any other name for that matter) as I strolled into the Hall of Fame ( for busts) with my superbowl ring.

You know it really is in the steelers best interest that Sweed be officially stamped as a bust. That woud make everyone so so happy and the roster so much stronger.

sherlock
05-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Call me a sucker, but I still hold out hope for a cinderella story for Limas Sweed.

Hell I even hold out hope for a cinderella story for Ryan Mundy, Tony Hills, Kraig Urbik, Matt Spaeth and the rest of the battlers on the roster. It may never eventuate, but I still hold hope.

When Sweed is out of the league for good I will make my determination. ( Just as I will for Ted Ginn, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vernon Gholston etc)

But I know one thing for sure and certain - I would gladly let you call be a bust ( and any other name for that matter) as I strolled into the Hall of Fame ( for busts) with my superbowl ring.

You know it really is in the steelers best interest that Sweed be officially stamped as a bust. That woud make everyone so so happy and the roster so much stronger.

Great post Aussie! :hatsoff:
For some, probably, psychological reason I also root for the "write off",regardless of team or sport.

devilsdancefloor
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I have hope for every young man that is wearing black and gold. It is a shame he got injured because it sounded like he was coming around. but we may never know. i hope they put him on IR if it is a ruptured tendon.

DanRooney
05-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Sweed is definitely done with after this injury. It's his contract year and say he does come back say week 4 or 5 and does well. Do we resign him? I don't think it'll be worth it no matter how many yards he gets. It's a lose-lose situation for us.

I'm hoping Emmanuel Sanders can fill Santonio's huge void. They are both 5'11 but Sanders is listed at a good 15 lbs lighter at 180 lbs. Hopefully he can bulk up another 10 lbs before the season starts...

Dino 6 Rings
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm sad, I wanted the guy to pan out. Really I did.

However I was very careful to point out, that highly drafted kids out of Brown's Texas team's, very rarely find success quickly in the NFL.

Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams, Vince Young, Tony Hills, Michael Huff, Chris Simms, Roy E Williams, and now...Limas Sweed.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Sweed placed on IR

Steelers wide receiver Limas Sweed was placed on the Reserve/Injured List today after clearing NFL waivers. Sweed was Waived/Injured on Monday after injuring his Achilles’ tendon during the final day of the team’s mandatory minicamp on May 2.

Because Sweed has cleared waivers, he will not count against the Steelers’ 80-man roster limit. Sweed, a third-year veteran from Texas, will miss the entire 2010 season while recovering from his injury.

The Steelers replaced Sweed on their offseason roster by signing first-year wide receiver Isaiah Williams. Williams signed with the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted rookie in 2009, but was released prior to the regular season.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Sweed-placed-on-IR/eed4b7cf-5b78-4040-8ae7-cf4833f78992

Merchant
05-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Damn.. nothing seems to be going right for this guy.

Men of Steel
05-11-2010, 05:22 PM
well... goodbye limas.:doh:

hope u have success elsewhere... cuz it shure as hell will never be in pittsburgh.
i had really high hopes for you, as well as many many many others did as well.

but all is not lost. hope ya keep fighting to get a chance somewhere else.
hope you heal fast and get back on track soon.

thanks for the... uuummm... memories? (dropping TDs etc) :noidea:

:wave:

MasterOfPuppets
05-11-2010, 05:31 PM
well... goodbye limas.:doh:

hope u have success elsewhere... cuz it shure as hell will never be in pittsburgh.
i had really high hopes for you, as well as many many many others did as well.

but all is not lost. hope ya keep fighting to get a chance somewhere else.
hope you heal fast and get back on track soon.

thanks for the... uuummm... memories? (dropping TDs etc) :noidea:

:wave: ummmm...you do know putting him on IR means he's STILL a steeler. :doh:

stlrtruck
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd like to see Sweed get a one year extension with an opportunity to prove himself and fight for a roster position. I still believe the kid has talent and can play, but for some odd reason it hasn't happened. It would be a shame if he went somewhere else and finally pushed through his issues.

Men of Steel
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
ummmm...you do know putting him on IR means he's STILL a steeler. :doh:

ummm.... you do know this IR situation ruins his chances of ever playing for this team. more than he already ruined himself!

i dont see him being on this team much longer. especially with the addition of our new receivers.

THIS was after all THE YEAR he HAD TO PROVE HIMSELF. or else it most likely would be BYE BYE LIMAS.

and what happens???....

he ends up in IR. GREAT.............

see ya limas.

MasterOfPuppets
05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
ummm.... you do know this IR situation ruins his chances of ever playing for this team. more than he already ruined himself!

so then whats your theory on why the steelers put him on IR instead of just cutting him out right ?. its not like he has a huge contract with big guaranteed money that'll kick in if he's cut. players on IR collect the same pay they would than if they were on the active roster, so why keep a player hanging around that has zero chance of EVER playing for the team ? :noidea:
unless of course they want him back next season to compete for a roster spot.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
05-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Maybe they can give him a hand transplant while they are at it...

Men of Steel
05-13-2010, 10:11 AM
so then whats your theory on why the steelers put him on IR instead of just cutting him out right ?. its not like he has a huge contract with big guaranteed money that'll kick in if he's cut. players on IR collect the same pay they would than if they were on the active roster, so why keep a player hanging around that has zero chance of EVER playing for the team ? :noidea:
unless of course they want him back next season to compete for a roster spot.

yea.. ur right about that.
i dunno man... every single season this guy is given high hopes.. but he just goes out and gets slapped around. :doh:

yet he's given more chances than ive ever seen any team give a single player who has not proven anything. Steel pride for taking him in the 2nd round and not wanting to accept he's a bust? who knows....

oh well. this years hasnt even started and im gonna repeat what ive been saying for the last few years.....
" We'll Get 'em Next Year Limas!"
:noidea:

revefsreleets
05-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Sweed has a 4 year contract. It's not costing the Steelers all that much more than an injury settlement to keep him. He'll miss this year and have his one last shot (provided he makes a 100% recovery) next year.

It really won't hurt his stat line much. He'll just drop from 3.5 catches for 34.5 yards PER YEAR to 2.333 catches for 23 yards PER YEAR. I'm sure he'll turn it around and make the Pro Bowl next year...

pittshorn
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
that sucks. Seems like he was always dinged up in college too