PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing the AFC North

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Baltimore Ravens...The Ravens were a very inconsistent team that had trouble producing big plays in the passing game and on defense. So they went out and added Anquan Boldin and two tight ends in the draft. On defense, they added a couple of guys who could be studs in Kindle and Cody, but they could also be huge disappointments If Kindle can't stay healthy and learn to cover, and Cody could eat himself of the roster. On paper, it seems they have improved and should be a stronger team this year.

Cincinnati Bengals...What the hell has gotten into the water over there? Two very good drafts in a row. Palmer has been given new weapons in Bryant, Shipley, and Gresham. The defense could continue to get better if Dunlap and Ghee play to their abilities and the rest of the squad stays healthy. After sweeping the division and making the playoffs last year, I think they could struggle a bit with the schedule. Can Lewis and Zimmer take them to the next level, I wouldn't bet my house on it at this point.

Cleveland Browns...After getting Delhomme, Wallace and McCoy, the brownies seem to be in a much better position at QB. With Harrison and Hardesty in the backfield, they should be OK. But, the receiving corps remains a huge question mark. The Browns played hard down the stretch and were led by a defense that goes all out for Rob Ryan. I think they are better with Holmgren running the show and should win 6-7 games this year.

Pittsburgh Steelers...While I wasn't enamored with our draft, I do think their a couple guys outside of Pouncey(who will be great) who could have an impact this year. Dwyer could become a very good back up to Mendy and help in short yardage and the 4th quarter. Sanders, while I think was taken 2 rounds to early, could develop into a nice slot receiver, working underneath with 8-12 yard routes and on the line with quit outs, allowing him to create after the catch. I'm not sure how much McFadden has left, but we need all the help we can get in the secondary. A healthy Troy is crucial for this defense. I still have concerns with the LBing corps and the O line. And of course the QB situation. Can we get off to a quick start without Ben, and how will he play when he returns. This year seems to have more question marks than in the past, but this team still has the talent and experience to win the division if we can stay healthy and keep Arians from getting pass happy again!

All in all, I think the division will be a dog fight between us, the Bungles and the Ravens. And the Browns could serve as a spoiler as the season plays out. Should be a very interesting season. Can't wait to get it started!

Psyychoward86
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
. I still have concerns with the LBing corps

we can always draft a couple more to make you happy :wink:

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
we can always draft a couple more to make you happy :wink:

I'm all for drafting LBers, but drafting ones that are pro ready and can contribute this year would be even better!:wink02:

mikegrimey
05-02-2010, 01:12 PM
The Ravens are going to be the pre-season favorites, but we still gotta play the games.

I'm not sure there were many people last year that would have predicted the Bengals sweeping both the steelers and ravens. You never know.

Steel Bill
05-02-2010, 01:21 PM
The Ravens are going to be the pre-season favorites, but we still gotta play the games.

I'm not sure there were many people last year that would have predicted the Bengals sweeping both the steelers and ravens. You never know.

Well said Mike, in today's NFL, you never know!

wootawnee
05-02-2010, 11:11 PM

They still gotta score points to win.....Their corners hurt their chances at being great, but we'll see.....

Third Rail
05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
The Ravens could choke in the post season every year (or not make it at all) and Joe Flacco could have a passer rating of 40% and people would still be predicting them to win the AFC North in the preseason.

Granted, they did seem to make some good acquisitions in free agency and the draft, but I swear, analysts talk them up every year and they're never that great.

Crow-Magnon
05-03-2010, 12:13 PM
The Ravens could choke in the post season every year (or not make it at all) and Joe Flacco could have a passer rating of 40% and people would still be predicting them to win the AFC North in the preseason.

Granted, they did seem to make some good acquisitions in free agency and the draft, but I swear, analysts talk them up every year and they're never that great.

Ok, I have to take issue with that. In 2008 Flacco was a third-string rookie QB who was destined to hold a clipboard behind Kyle Boller and Troy Smith for at least his first season. Then Boller was out for the year, lost to a preseason injury, while Smith went down in Week 3 of the preseason with an infection that pushed Flacco into the starting role. No one, and I mean no one with any football smarts, was "talking up" Baltimore and predicting them to win a AFCN title.

Now last season, yeah, they did. After going to the AFCC, the Ravens were picked as a favorite to win the AFCN and/or the SB. But they have never been a team that is talked up as a possible conference champion or SB team year after year after year.

Hopefully (to me), that may change. But in reality, the only thing the Ravens have been consistently talked about over the years is having a great defense. And truth be told, even I get nauseous hearing about "that vaunted, hard-hitting and stifling Ravens defense" when the score is 27-10 in the third quarter.....and Baltimore ain't got the 27. :chuckle:

Third Rail
05-03-2010, 12:21 PM
Ok, I have to take issue with that. In 2008 Flacco was a third-string rookie QB who was destined to hold a clipboard behind Kyle Boller and Troy Smith for at least his first season. Then Boller was out for the year, lost to a preseason injury, while Smith went down in Week 3 of the preseason with an infection that pushed Flacco into the starting role. No one, and I mean no one with any football smarts, was "talking up" Baltimore and predicting them to win a AFCN title.

Now last season, yeah, they did. After going to the AFCC, the Ravens were picked as a favorite to win the AFCN and/or the SB. But they have never been a team that is talked up as a possible conference champion or SB team year after year after year.

Hopefully (to me), that may change. But in reality, the only thing the Ravens have been consistently talked about over the years is having a great defense. And truth be told, even I get nauseous hearing about "that vaunted, hard-hitting and stifling Ravens defense" when the score is 27-10 in the third quarter.....and Baltimore ain't got the 27. :chuckle:

I hear ya, man... mainly because I get tired of hearing Pittsburgh's defense talked up that way too after I see them blow a fourth quarter lead (which they did a LOT last year). The trouble there is that while the Steelers defense is very good, the schemes they use rely on every piece to be in place. If a key player is gone... there goes the game. Secondary with Troy? Brilliant. Without him? Toast. D-Line with Aaron Smith? A brick wall. Without him? Not terrible but not great either.

But anyway, as for you guys... I seriously envy your running game right now... if we had that O-Line and an RB like Rice then I'd be feeling a lot safer with Big Ben being out for 4-6 games.

pancake
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm all for drafting LBers, but drafting ones that are pro ready and can contribute this year would be even better!:wink02:

I would rather draft ones that fit our team, even if we have to wait a year.

The Duke
05-03-2010, 08:07 PM
The ravens are no threat until they can beat us with ben under center

and that hasn't happened since 2006

btw, Cody WILL eat himself out of the league

STEELAMANIA
05-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Right now its too early to say who makes noise......but, I hope Ziggy Hood will start over Diesel because he is too talented to come in only on 3rd downs.....

devilsdancefloor
05-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Coach butler even said during the draft (something like this it is when he is talking after our picks) as long as i have been here we have NEVER had a LB rookie start for us.

Crow-Magnon
05-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I hear ya, man... mainly because I get tired of hearing Pittsburgh's defense talked up that way too after I see them blow a fourth quarter lead (which they did a LOT last year). The trouble there is that while the Steelers defense is very good, the schemes they use rely on every piece to be in place. If a key player is gone... there goes the game. Secondary with Troy? Brilliant. Without him? Toast. D-Line with Aaron Smith? A brick wall. Without him? Not terrible but not great either.

But anyway, as for you guys... I seriously envy your running game right now... if we had that O-Line and an RB like Rice then I'd be feeling a lot safer with Big Ben being out for 4-6 games.

Last year both defenses were talked up, but both of them had big issues. Those announcers have to talk about something.

devilsdancefloor
05-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Baltimore Ravens...The Ravens were a very inconsistent team that had trouble producing big plays in the passing game and on defense. So they went out and added Anquan Boldin and two tight ends in the draft. On defense, they added a couple of guys who could be studs in Kindle and Cody, but they could also be huge disappointments If Kindle can't stay healthy and learn to cover, and Cody could eat himself of the roster. On paper, it seems they have improved and should be a stronger team this year.

Cincinnati Bengals...What the hell has gotten into the water over there? Two very good drafts in a row. Palmer has been given new weapons in Bryant, Shipley, and Gresham. The defense could continue to get better if Dunlap and Ghee play to their abilities and the rest of the squad stays healthy. After sweeping the division and making the playoffs last year, I think they could struggle a bit with the schedule. Can Lewis and Zimmer take them to the next level, I wouldn't bet my house on it at this point.

Cleveland Browns...After getting Delhomme, Wallace and McCoy, the brownies seem to be in a much better position at QB. With Harrison and Hardesty in the backfield, they should be OK. But, the receiving corps remains a huge question mark. The Browns played hard down the stretch and were led by a defense that goes all out for Rob Ryan. I think they are better with Holmgren running the show and should win 6-7 games this year.

Pittsburgh Steelers...While I wasn't enamored with our draft, I do think their a couple guys outside of Pouncey(who will be great) who could have an impact this year. Dwyer could become a very good back up to Mendy and help in short yardage and the 4th quarter. Sanders, while I think was taken 2 rounds to early, could develop into a nice slot receiver, working underneath with 8-12 yard routes and on the line with quit outs, allowing him to create after the catch. I'm not sure how much McFadden has left, but we need all the help we can get in the secondary. A healthy Troy is crucial for this defense. I still have concerns with the LBing corps and the O line. And of course the QB situation. Can we get off to a quick start without Ben, and how will he play when he returns. This year seems to have more question marks than in the past, but this team still has the talent and experience to win the division if we can stay healthy and keep Arians from getting pass happy again!

All in all, I think the division will be a dog fight between us, the Bungles and the Ravens. And the Browns could serve as a spoiler as the season plays out. Should be a very interesting season. Can't wait to get it started!

Nice post , but you are forgetting every time the bungles and the ratbirds get handed a harder schedule they fold. The stains well they are the stains they look good on paper and sadly play like they are paper lion. Delhomme is past his last leg and likes to throw INT's. The walrus doesnt scare me as a GM he doesnt draft well. Our approach is the best we are steady draft and pick up depth through FA. We are going to field a dominate team as usual and wil not be the media darlings like the others in our division. I agree no matter what our records are the ratbirds and steelers will always be a dog fight, but i think we edge them even in our 1st game with out ben. (yes i bleed black and gold and i am wearing my black and gold shades, but i have no reason not too, so far history has proven me right)

tube517
05-05-2010, 11:45 PM
I think Boldin is too injury prone plus Flaccid is not Kurt Warner. Donte Stallworth is worthless

Fire Haley
05-05-2010, 11:50 PM
What is this crap?

Here's my analysis of our opponents...

Browns suck
Benglaz suck
Ratbirds suck

RoethlisBURGHer
05-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Baltimore Ravens: Boldin and Stallworth have to stay healthy. Ain't going to happen. Stallworth is going to go down with a hamstring injury in week two and Boldin is going to probably get beat up too. Stallworth hasn't played in a year after killing a man while driving drunk and has never been considered tough. Boldin is tough but he's leaving a division where the best and hardest hitting safety was on his team to one who has Clark and Polamalu on the Steelers, Roy Williams on the Bengals, and the Browns just drafted two safety's that like to hit. Not to mention Ike and McFadden both don't mind lowering their shoulders too.

Todd Heap is injury prone, and will the two TE's drafted prove to be decent? They were good in college, but the NFL is littered with players that were good in college and are just okay in the League.

The Ravens know they can't rely on just running the ball to get to the Super Bowl, or win the division. But if the passing game falters, they are going to run the rock and control the clock.

Kindle isn't a very big guy, not sure he can stay healthy or cover the TE or RB out of the backfield. He's got a ton of potential but is a classic boom or bust prospect. Cody knows exactly what's expected of him coming from a 3-4 defense in Alabama. But he's not a fit fat guy. He could be a dominant two down NT easily. I think as long as he doesn't eat himself off the roster, he might be a better pick than Kindle.

Also, the rest of the defense is getting old for the most part. Ray Lewis is still the heart and soul of the unit, but he is getting old and eventually that age and all those hits have to catch up with him. Their defensive backfield is not nearly as good as it was even just two seasons ago. Ed Reed has been hurt a lot lately, if they lose him for multiple games this season then don't even bother running on Baltimore, just throw the ball. They won't stop you.

Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals went from a third place schedule to first place in the North. They are going to find that North Division Championship hard to defend. The Bengals did sweep the division. But they also got the Steelers twice without Polamalu, and the Browns before they caught fire.

First round draft pick, TE Gresham out of Oklahoma, should start. He's not that good of a blocker, but he will open up the seam. Chad Ochocinco is back for another season and they got Bryant across from him. Jordan Shipley could win the slot receiver position in training camp. But this all means nothing if Carson Palmer keeps declining.

Their defense was surprisingly good last year. I think it will be good this year, but it might not be as good. There will be a season's worth of game tape to watch and take notes on.

Cleveland Browns: No matter what they say, there is a power struggle in Cleveland. Mike Holmgren has come in as team President, and he's already made some changes to the teams offense, putting in some West Coast Offense. He also went and got two QB's who know how to run a WCO, and then drafted a third who's skill set is perfect for it. Mangini knows that if he doesn't improve upon last season's 5 wins, he is out the door.

The receiving corps are weak. No real big play threat. Josh Cribbs doesn't have a defined role. Robiske didn't get much PT last season. Mosoqoi has better hands than Butterfingers Braylon, but that isn't saying much. They did bring in a TE who can be a safety valve for whichever QB plays, but if he's the only option he won't be for long.

Last year's win streak was on the legs of the run game offensively. Nobody knows if Harrison can handle a full-season workload. The RB they drafted has had only season healthy in his college career, not exactly a shining ray of health.

The defense played hard for Mangini at the end of the season. I expect the defense to be decent this season. But decent isn't exactly good. The defensive backfield is still a question mark. They brought in Brown and drafted Haden. But safety is still up in the air with the only current starter being Abe Elam at that position.

Six wins is a possibility, but it won't be enough to save Mangini's job.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben is gone for four to six games. Art Rooney wants more of a focus on running the football. So we drafted Pouncey and Dwyer. While Ben is gone, this team is going to lean on Mendenhall and Dwyer to control the clock. When Ben comes back, then other teams are really in trouble. We have the best QB when it comes to creating something out of nothing. After four to six weeks of a pounding run game, teams are going to have to respect that. Ben can come in and use that to help go over the top with play action.

The defense gets Troy Polamalu back. He's the glue of the defensive backfield. We also traded for Bryant McFadden. He was a bust in Arizona, but they don't get the pressure that the Steelers do. He will be able to cover for long enough for our LB's to get to the QB. He also will get his nose in and tackle. He's a huge upgrade over William Gay. The presence of McFadden will also help Ike Taylor. Gay was so bad, he required a safety to cheat towards his side of the field for help. That left Ike alone with no help over the top too often.

The division battle is going to be between the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals. The Browns won't compete for the division, but they could spoil one of these team's chance at the division and/or wild card. I say the Steelers win the division, the Ravens finish second, and the Bengals back to third.

Steel Bill
05-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Baltimore Ravens: Boldin and Stallworth have to stay healthy. Ain't going to happen. Stallworth is going to go down with a hamstring injury in week two and Boldin is going to probably get beat up too. Stallworth hasn't played in a year after killing a man while driving drunk and has never been considered tough. Boldin is tough but he's leaving a division where the best and hardest hitting safety was on his team to one who has Clark and Polamalu on the Steelers, Roy Williams on the Bengals, and the Browns just drafted two safety's that like to hit. Not to mention Ike and McFadden both don't mind lowering their shoulders too.

Todd Heap is injury prone, and will the two TE's drafted prove to be decent? They were good in college, but the NFL is littered with players that were good in college and are just okay in the League.

The Ravens know they can't rely on just running the ball to get to the Super Bowl, or win the division. But if the passing game falters, they are going to run the rock and control the clock.

Kindle isn't a very big guy, not sure he can stay healthy or cover the TE or RB out of the backfield. He's got a ton of potential but is a classic boom or bust prospect. Cody knows exactly what's expected of him coming from a 3-4 defense in Alabama. But he's not a fit fat guy. He could be a dominant two down NT easily. I think as long as he doesn't eat himself off the roster, he might be a better pick than Kindle.

Also, the rest of the defense is getting old for the most part. Ray Lewis is still the heart and soul of the unit, but he is getting old and eventually that age and all those hits have to catch up with him. Their defensive backfield is not nearly as good as it was even just two seasons ago. Ed Reed has been hurt a lot lately, if they lose him for multiple games this season then don't even bother running on Baltimore, just throw the ball. They won't stop you.

Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals went from a third place schedule to first place in the North. They are going to find that North Division Championship hard to defend. The Bengals did sweep the division. But they also got the Steelers twice without Polamalu, and the Browns before they caught fire.

First round draft pick, TE Gresham out of Oklahoma, should start. He's not that good of a blocker, but he will open up the seam. Chad Ochocinco is back for another season and they got Bryant across from him. Jordan Shipley could win the slot receiver position in training camp. But this all means nothing if Carson Palmer keeps declining.

Their defense was surprisingly good last year. I think it will be good this year, but it might not be as good. There will be a season's worth of game tape to watch and take notes on.

Cleveland Browns: No matter what they say, there is a power struggle in Cleveland. Mike Holmgren has come in as team President, and he's already made some changes to the teams offense, putting in some West Coast Offense. He also went and got two QB's who know how to run a WCO, and then drafted a third who's skill set is perfect for it. Mangini knows that if he doesn't improve upon last season's 5 wins, he is out the door.

The receiving corps are weak. No real big play threat. Josh Cribbs doesn't have a defined role. Robiske didn't get much PT last season. Mosoqoi has better hands than Butterfingers Braylon, but that isn't saying much. They did bring in a TE who can be a safety valve for whichever QB plays, but if he's the only option he won't be for long.

Last year's win streak was on the legs of the run game offensively. Nobody knows if Harrison can handle a full-season workload. The RB they drafted has had only season healthy in his college career, not exactly a shining ray of health.

The defense played hard for Mangini at the end of the season. I expect the defense to be decent this season. But decent isn't exactly good. The defensive backfield is still a question mark. They brought in Brown and drafted Haden. But safety is still up in the air with the only current starter being Abe Elam at that position.

Six wins is a possibility, but it won't be enough to save Mangini's job.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Ben is gone for four to six games. Art Rooney wants more of a focus on running the football. So we drafted Pouncey and Dwyer. While Ben is gone, this team is going to lean on Mendenhall and Dwyer to control the clock. When Ben comes back, then other teams are really in trouble. We have the best QB when it comes to creating something out of nothing. After four to six weeks of a pounding run game, teams are going to have to respect that. Ben can come in and use that to help go over the top with play action.

The defense gets Troy Polamalu back. He's the glue of the defensive backfield. We also traded for Bryant McFadden. He was a bust in Arizona, but they don't get the pressure that the Steelers do. He will be able to cover for long enough for our LB's to get to the QB. He also will get his nose in and tackle. He's a huge upgrade over William Gay. The presence of McFadden will also help Ike Taylor. Gay was so bad, he required a safety to cheat towards his side of the field for help. That left Ike alone with no help over the top too often.

The division battle is going to be between the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals. The Browns won't compete for the division, but they could spoil one of these team's chance at the division and/or wild card. I say the Steelers win the division, the Ravens finish second, and the Bengals back to third.

Solid post! Dammit, I wish the season started tomorrow!!!

Prok
05-06-2010, 10:28 PM

Reminds of Cowher's 90's Steelers ?

Well except Flacco is a tad better than O'Donnell. Maybe. lol

I also see the clowns playing the spoiler role this year. I believe they even play all 3 rivals the last 3 weeks?

Like others have noted, it all comes down to how well we play weeks 1 through 4 imo.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Solid post! Dammit, I wish the season started tomorrow!!!

Me too! Instead I have to deal with the Pirates and Indians in MLB once the Stanley Cup Playoffs are over.

Psyychoward86
05-07-2010, 09:28 PM

Keith Butler says he has never had a rookie LB start in Pittsburgh......and trust me, it's not because they arent good enough, it's because of the legendary LB corp standing before them.

Prok
05-07-2010, 10:07 PM
What is this crap?

Here's my analysis of our opponents...

Browns suck
Benglaz suck
Ratbirds suck

Yet another Killer gem.

:chuckle:

markymarc
05-08-2010, 12:30 PM
While I hate the Brownies, Rats and Bungles, I would not be surprised to see the AFC North being 1 of the better divisions in all of football.