PDA

View Full Version : The All-American Canal

Shea
05-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Saw this earlier tonight when watching 60 Minutes and I can't stop thinking about it.

(here's the link if you missed it : http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6453537n)

Just curious to see what others think and feel about this story.

Should the money be spent to add the safety measures that would reduce the number of drownings, or should we leave the canal as is?

Borski
05-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Put some safety features like ladders and such on the Mexican side of the river, that when when they realize they cant get out on the american side they can at least get blackout on the mexico side without dieing.

I oppose Illegal immigration but that doesn't mean we should just let a bunch of people die because they are trying to have a better life.

MasterOfPuppets
05-02-2010, 11:41 PM
i'd stock it with crocodiles...of course i'd put up "beware of croc" signs....:popcorn:

steelerdude15
05-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Stick American troops there to stop them from coming in.

MACH1
05-03-2010, 12:48 AM
i'd stock it with crocodiles...of course i'd put up "beware of croc" signs....:popcorn:

Throw in some piranhas too, gotta have something else for the gators to eat besides illegals. :chuckle:

Borski
05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Over 500 people have drowned in the canal, I think if 20 Americans has drowned something would have been done. Something should be done, these are still people we are talking about.

Godfather
05-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Over 500 people have drowned in the canal, I think if 20 Americans has drowned something would have been done. Something should be done, these are still people we are talking about.

I agree with your take on this.

Even if sneaking into the country is illegal it doesn't deserve death. The ladders would be a great idea.

SteelersinCA
05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
You put up a sign saying, danger, drowning likely and call it a day.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
You put up a sign saying, danger, drowning likely and call it a day.

in english ...:thumbsup:

43Hitman
05-03-2010, 01:21 PM

:rofl:

xfl2001fan
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM

That's not right. Make it a waterproof electronic sign where they press "1" for English and Dos for Espanol. Sheesh. Give em a chance at least.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
they could always put mines on the canal edge ... that might deter them from trying to get to the water ...:thumbsup:

Shea
05-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I wish they would spend the money to add the safety measures that would drastically cut down on the number of people dying in that canal.

This transcends the issue of illegal immigration and has become, in my opinion, one of humanity.

Regardless of how you might feel about what's happening at our borders, surely nobody here wishes these people dead - right?

43Hitman
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I don't wish anyone dead, but if you are knowingly breaking the law and something happens while your committing said crime, and you die as a result of it. I can't really feel sorry for you. Even if you lost your job and were merely robbing a store so you could buy milk for your baby. Sounds harsh I know, but laws are laws.

Borski
05-03-2010, 11:27 PM
They need to streamline the process to become a citizen so people will be more willing to go the legal route. These people obviously want to be here, we should be encouraging people to become citizens not making it so hard that people are willing to risk their lives coming in like this.

And for all the people that don't feel bad about the 500+ people ding for lack of safety measures there was a United State border control officer that died in the canal also while trying to save his Dog. Not that it should matter, people are people.

Crossing the border isnt even considered a felony, its just a misdemeanor, much closer to a traffic violation then robbing a store

MACH1
05-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Crossing the border isnt even considered a felony, its just a misdemeanor, much closer to a traffic violation then robbing a store

Still doesn't make it any less illegal.

fansince'76
05-03-2010, 11:39 PM
They need to streamline the process to become a citizen so people will be more willing to go the legal route. These people obviously want to be here, we should be encouraging people to become citizens not making it so hard that people are willing to risk their lives coming in like this.

If they want to be here that badly, then it seems it would be worth the time and effort to do it legally, no? Anything worthwhile is rarely easy.

Borski
05-03-2010, 11:43 PM
If they want to be here that badly, then it seems it would be worth the time and effort to do it legally, no? Anything worthwhile is rarely easy.

I do think they should do it legally, that still doesn't mean I think we should just let people drowned when a few safety features would save their life.

SteelCityMom
05-03-2010, 11:58 PM

They are willing to put the time and effort into it (well most of them anyways). Most illegals come into this country with nothing in their pockets though (hence the main reason they come here) and it costs over a thousand dollars (at once) to become a citizen. That's the part I feel the government needs to make easier.

Why not just have them pay a small fee, give them a number like everyone else (for tax purposes), an ID card and put their info on file. Send them on their way to find work and pay taxes like other citizens. You know, like how they used to do it on Ellis Isle.

And yes, just saying oh well to people dying in a last ditch attempt to find work shouldn't just roll off our backs. And to those that do say "oh well, they're committing a misdemeanor and the laws the law"...you'll probably never understand until you're in their shoes.

tony hipchest
05-04-2010, 12:09 AM
And yes, just saying oh well to people dying in a last ditch attempt to find work shouldn't just roll off our backs. And to those that do say "oh well, they're committing a misdemeanor and the laws the law"...you'll probably never understand until you're in their shoes. "last ditch attempt"... thats sorta funny, although i assume the pun wasnt intended.

but i hear ya. thats kinda like saying the man that d. stallworth killed had a right to die for jaywalking, therefore the pat/brown/raven shouldnt have been held liable. :noidea:

fansince'76
05-04-2010, 12:21 AM
They are willing to put the time and effort into it (well most of them anyways). Most illegals come into this country with nothing in their pockets though (hence the main reason they come here) and it costs over a thousand dollars (at once) to become a citizen. That's the part I feel the government needs to make easier.

As opposed to the scrimping and saving many of them do to pay a "coyote" to smuggle them in at a cost that's typically several times that amount? However, I agree that the process could be expedited on our end by removing at least some of the bureaucratic red tape involved. Perhaps if the process were made a bit quicker, the services of the "coyotes" would be less sought after.

ricardisimo
05-04-2010, 03:01 AM
I wish they would spend the money to add the safety measures that would drastically cut down on the number of people dying in that canal.

This transcends the issue of illegal immigration and has become, in my opinion, one of humanity.

Regardless of how you might feel about what's happening at our borders, surely nobody here wishes these people dead - right?

You clearly haven't been paying attention during your tenure to our resident Do-Gooder Society Members here at SFF. Regular humanitarians, each and every one of them. :rolleyes:

GoSlash27
05-04-2010, 06:36 AM
I've got a safety measure for ya: Don't get in the (*&^in' water.
They should rename it (in Spanish) "The Canal of a thousand lost souls" and post a picture of every single body found in it right on the fence.

This is not an amusement park ride. It's not the underground railroad. It is a canal.
If anything, they should make it completely impossible to get out of it alive. Whirling blades, concertina wire, snipers.

If you make it safer, that'll just encourage more people to get in. Then when somebody dies they can sue.

43Hitman
05-04-2010, 09:18 AM
They should rename it (in Spanish) "The Canal of a thousand lost souls" and post a picture of every single body found in it right on the fence.

This is not an amusement park ride. It's not the underground railroad. It is a canal.
If anything, they should make it completely impossible to get out of it alive. Whirling blades, concertina wire, snipers.

If you make it safer, that'll just encourage more people to get in. Then when somebody dies they can sue.

:applaudit: Exactly! :hatsoff:

xfl2001fan
05-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Alright, I laughed at that. A bit crude, but it would certainly solve a lot of problems. We don't need to make it completely impossible to get out alive...just make it impossible to get on our side without going through a guarded checkpoint. Everything else is concertina wire, whirling blades etc... (Whirling blades...I'm picturing those things from "Phantasm")

MACH1
05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
You clearly haven't been paying attention during your tenure to our resident Do-Gooder Society Members here at SFF. Regular humanitarians, each and every one of them. :rolleyes:

Why don't we just build a bridge and call it "Free Pass". :coffee:

(Whirling blades...I'm picturing those things from "Phantasm")

Just have the little orb's patrol the canal. :chuckle:

Borski
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Alright, I laughed at that. A bit crude, but it would certainly solve a lot of problems. We don't need to make it completely impossible to get out alive...just make it impossible to get on our side without going through a guarded checkpoint. Everything else is concertina wire, whirling blades etc... (Whirling blades...I'm picturing those things from "Phantasm")

Thats what I was saying with my original suggestion. Put some ladders and stuff on the Mexican side so when they realize they cant get out on our side t least they don't have to drown

xfl2001fan
05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Thats what I was saying with my original suggestion. Put some ladders and stuff on the Mexican side so when they realize they cant get out on our side t least they don't have to drown

Still need guarded checkpoints on our side...just in case. If they're not one of ours...we send em right back to Mexico. Might also catch a few criminals on our side that need to be brought to justice. Just a few ladders on our side...but every one has a small squad of guards.

SteelersinCA
05-04-2010, 07:08 PM

And for all the people that don't feel bad about the 500+ people ding for lack of safety measures there was a United State border control officer that died in the canal also while trying to save his Dog. Not that it should matter, people are people.

Robbing a store is a misdemeanor depending on what you steal.

MasterOfPuppets
05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
i still think stocking crocs is the best idea ...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANzSh64bmTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANzSh64bmTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

MACH1
05-05-2010, 12:47 AM
I still like the Pantasim sphere idea. More efficient. :chuckle:

http://midnightshowing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/phantasm_ball.jpg

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 01:18 AM
I still like the Pantasim sphere idea. More efficient. :chuckle:

http://midnightshowing.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/phantasm_ball.jpg

yeah but sheesh....what does one of those cost ??? like ...probably a hundred grand each ...:hunch: .... we could probably get like.. 100 nile crocs for a hundred thou....:tap:

43Hitman
05-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Mach 1 likes shiny things.:chuckle: