View Full Version : Tomlin: It is way too early for a QB decision

mesaSteeler
05-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Tomlin: It is way too early for a QB decision
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_679223.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 3, 2010

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Sunday he will take his time in sorting out the competition at quarterback.

Byron Leftwich again ran the first-team offense during an abbreviated practice. But after the Steelers concluded mini camp, Tomlin said Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch will also get work with the starters during the 12 voluntary practices the team will hold May 18 through June 10.

The three are vying to start while Ben Roethlisberger serves a six-game suspension that could be reduced to four games for good behavior.

Tomlin indicated that he won't settle on a starter until some time during training camp, which starts at the end of July.

"Some of the evaluation-oriented things can't take place in shorts," Tomlin said of when he will name the No. 1 quarterback. "So it's on my radar, but not very high on the to-do list at this point. It will be addressed at some point."

Tomlin said one reason Leftwich ran the first-time offense during the five practices the Steelers just held was so he could work with the starters after not being with the team in 2009.

"The other guys will get opportunities," Tomlin said.

When asked if any of the quarterbacks had separated themselves during mini camp, Tomlin said: "What is it, May 2? You guys are killing me."

The competition at quarterback, however, will continue to be scrutinized. Leftwich, Dixon and Batch all have had success in the past while filling in for Roethlisberger.

Leftwich, whom the Steelers re-acquired in a trade with Tampa Bay on April 20, said the competition among the three is friendly.

He echoed Tomlin's sentiments when asked if anything should be read into his working with the first-team offense during mini camp.

"It's too early to say," Leftwich said. "I'm just going to keep working my butt off."

Upcoming schedule

The players will get a couple of weeks off before the Steelers resume offseason practices. Here is the schedule for the 12 practices, which are voluntary:

May 18-20

May 25-27

June 2-4

June 8-10

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 03:57 AM
I can see Leftwich getting the nod here. He has the experience and unless Dixon shows something he will remain the no.2 quarterback.

HometownGal
05-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Well - the one thing we pretty much know for certain is that Batch won't be the starter come opening day. It will come down to Lefty v. Dixon and hey - may the best man win. :thumbsup:

ricardisimo
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Well - the one thing we pretty much know for certain is that Batch won't be the starter come opening day. It will come down to Lefty v. Dixon and hey - may the best man win. :thumbsup:

More interesting to me is the question of who gets cut. Someone absolutely has to get cut, no? Only Jon Gruden would go into the season with four QBs on the roster. I have to assume that Batch's injury history will make the decision a bit easier.

fansince'76
05-03-2010, 05:23 PM
More interesting to me is the question of who gets cut. Someone absolutely has to get cut, no? Only Jon Gruden would go into the season with four QBs on the roster. I have to assume that Batch's injury history will make the decision a bit easier.

I think Batch will be carried as insurance on the 3rd string until Ben's suspension is over, then he'll be released. A suspended player doesn't count against a team's roster limit for the duration of their suspension, I don't think.

Sharkissle29
05-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I hope Dixon wins the job, but feel comfortable with Lefty running the offense as well. Time will tell

sharkweek
05-04-2010, 12:37 AM
I dont know how Lefty did in Tampa last year but he did lose to the job to a rookie. That right there tells me Dixon will be the starter come Game 1.

Leftwich fits into our scheme really well and was successful in all of his playtime with us. He even did better than Ben in a replacement scenario because he would release the ball sooner. (I'm not saying he's better than Ben, but the skill set he brought matched up better in that situation)

That being said, I think there is something special about Dixon and think he is right on the cusp of having true starting potential so I won't be surprised if he wins the job in training camp / preseason, although I think Leftwich will be given plenty of chances to make his case.

I don't expect much from Batch, other than to continue serving as a mentor.

MACH1
05-04-2010, 12:42 AM
I dont know how Lefty did in Tampa last year but he did lose to the job to a rookie. That right there tells me Dixon will be the starter come Game 1.

Dixon couldn't beat out a fragile old man for the second spot last year, so what's that tell you?

scsteeler
05-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Dixon couldn't beat out a fragile old man for the second spot last year, so what's that tell you?

It Tells me that last year Batch had more experience because of how long he had been with the team and Dixon was still learning and this is a new year.

Galax Steeler
05-04-2010, 04:18 AM
It Tells me that last year Batch had more experience because of how long he had been with the team and Dixon was still learning and this is a new year.

Agreed I don't think Batch will be much of a threat this year.

rthorsn
05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I really love having Leftwich back on the Steelers. I think he is a first class player,amazing backup. and even better teammate. With that being said I would love to see Dixon get some snaps this season. I am very curious to see what he can do for a few games. I was very impressed with him last year in the game against the Ravens.

Psyychoward86
05-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I dont see why Batch is completely left out of the equation of possibility by everyone. He knows every trick in the book. That doesnt count for anything? I know were all aware of his injury history, but that doesnt mean he's going to get hurt everytime he plays.

markymarc
05-08-2010, 11:50 AM
When Ben returns from his 4 game suspension, Charlie Batch will be waived IMO. It's very obvious that the starting job is between Lefty and Dixon. Kudos to Tomlin for not making a decision right now. I still believe Dixon has a very good shot at being our starter the first 4 weeks.

This is the perfect opportunity to see what you have in Dennis Dixon. Let's not forget he almost beat the Ravens in Baltimore when only finding out about being the starter the night before the big game. This will be his 3rd season and it's time to find out if he can be our future backup or not. Just let the kid play and Lefty can back him up until Ben returns.

AlleghanyAdams87
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Making this an open competition is the best possible way to do this, and out of all this mess, the FO shows why we win consistently. But why does it have to be somebody getting cut? Maybe a trade, although very unlikely. Someone has a great chance to do some showcasing and Dixon could make or break his career with this situation right here.

alex
05-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Just support Leftwich!

SteelKnight
05-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Basically Tomlin said he will know before training camp begins but e won't say. We'll just wait to see who runs the first team at the START of training camp.

tube517
05-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Although, I like Leftwich, I think too many people are giving him the job. Saying that he should get the job after he only played 6 quarters for us? Dixon played 4 against Baltimore. People forget he played only one half against Washington and a meaningless game against Cleveland. Sure, he is the veteran and has more experience than Dixon but that doesn't mean he gets the job handed to him. LIke I said, I like Byron and I'm glad they brought him back but I would not discount Dixon too quickly.

May the best man win. :drink:

steelpride12
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM
I have to take Lefty in this situation. Dixon will get their someday, but he is not ready yet. Byron already proved what he is capable of for the Steelers regardless of his poor play last season in Tampa, but hey man the best man win!

shinoff2183
05-13-2010, 02:18 AM
As far as batch I like the guy, but when he has been in the game, the ****er makes me nervous. Same with byron.

When dixon was in that game against the ravens I had confidence, I honestly thought they didnt let him throw, or be a QB for lack of better words.

I think dixon is are best bet for these few games, but I just make bottle caps.

shinoff2183
05-13-2010, 02:22 AM
I have to take Lefty in this situation. Dixon will get their someday, but he is not ready yet. Byron already proved what he is capable of for the Steelers regardless of his poor play last season in Tampa, but hey man the best man win!

From what I remember byron won one game, and the punt block recovered by dare I say william gay put them in nice field postion with the recovery.

I like william and few people have admitted gay was just as bad as Taylor last year, and taylor is praised upon!

zulater
05-13-2010, 06:09 AM
Just support Leftwich!

Just support whoever lines up behind center for the Steelers be it Leftwich, Dixon, Batch, or Ben when he comes back. :tt02:

Personally I expect Leftwich to start the first 4 games, but I'd be delighted if Dixon plays at such a high level through training camp and the pre season that he wrestles the job away from Byron.

markymarc
05-17-2010, 06:27 PM
While I thought it was great getting Lefty back, I would like to see Dennis Dixon be given a chance to show he belongs at the #2 spot behind Ben. Unfortunately I think Mike Tomlin will be going with experience in Lefty. Keep fighting DD!