PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Spots

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 12:03 AM
I have an idea that I'd like to get some feedback on.

I miss the way all our Steelers used to retire with the team before FA started. I think fans like having heroes.

I have an idea which I might send in. I think each team should have 4 spots on their Roster called "Team Legend" spots. These players' salaries don't count towards the cap as long as it is less than 8 million (biennually adjusted) per player. In addition the spot is in addition to the 53...therefore, each team may have 57 players (if they have 4 Legends).

In order to be a "Legend", a player must have been drafted by or originally signed as an undrafted free agent with the team (no other teams), made the team and stayed with the same team for at least 10 years.

According to this rule, currently we would have 3 players who qualify (Ward, Aaron Smith, and Casey Hampton).

I'd like to know what you guys think of the rule, any suggestions you have to improve it and what major problems or opposition you see to it.

Thanks.

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 12:10 AM
I think the rule would help encourage teams to let players retire with them and it might encourage players to try to stick with the same club, understanding the bennefits towards the end and understanding that the club is less likely to dump them.

For example, this year, since we would have only had 3 Legacy players, we could have kept someone like Deshea Townsend as the fourth. He would have qualified.

The only resistance I see would come from Owners in that, it could be potentially an extra 32 million per year being paid towards players but they can write the language such that it is included in the max expenditure before the Salary cap is raised so it doesn't cost anything extra. For exampleif the cap specifies that it will be 55 percent of what is taken in, they can change it to 54 percent and reserve a percent to cover legacy, etc.

FSUBoo
05-03-2010, 02:03 AM
That would be a huge sign of respect from the teams to the players that have sacrificed so much, but I can't really see this ever happening.

Very original idea nonetheless

RoethlisBURGHer
05-03-2010, 10:59 AM
I love the idea, but the NFL would never go for it, and neither would the owners.

stlrtruck
05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
I like it. I say send it to the commish, I mean we've already got NO!

Godfather
05-03-2010, 01:05 PM
It's an awesome idea. Which means Baddell will never go for it.

pancake
05-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I love the idea, but the NFL would never go for it, and neither would the owners.

I'm with you on this one.

AllD
05-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Too complicated because some players change teams for issues other than money, starting or contending are examples.

canadasteel
05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I think it would be a great rule. Remember seeing Woodson in a Ravens uniform, or Franco with the Seahawks?

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I think it would be a great rule. Remember seeing Woodson in a Ravens uniform, or Franco with the Seahawks?

Yeah. Both Woodson and Franco would have qualified.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback.

To the one guy who said some people leave their teams to go to contenders...well that person is not a "Team Legend" trying to make his team a contender...but I understand. Those who leave because they are not made into a starter is also understandable but that player is also not a "Team Legend". This rule doesn't punis people for leaving but instead rewards people for staying, rewards teams for being loyal, and delivers heroes to fans.

If anyone has Goodelles e-mail, please let me know. The one I found Roger.Goodel2@nfl.net did not work. I'm not in the mood to send a written letter unless I know for sure it will reach him.

pete74
05-03-2010, 06:26 PM
would love that rule more then anything but I unfortunatly don't see it happening