PDA

View Full Version : Figured out Sweeds dropping problem

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 03:21 AM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/98773784.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5F1C7DDD5AA4CCD20 821A6960CA713A804CC4D4E1A4E68EB8

Take a look at this picture. Do you find it odd? If you look at the ball and its trajectory, you see the ball is going straight to him ...not with a severe arc up then coming down...and it is not a low ball that he is catching lower than his chest.

Now notice his thumbs. His thumbs are pointing up. If you look at others trying to make this kind of catch, you'll see they have their thumbs to the inside facing each other so the thumbs areat the bottom when they make the catch with this kind of straight catch.

The way Sweed has his hands are typically the way a receiver has their hands if they are catching an arched ball on the way down or a ball destined for the lower half of his body (lower than the chest area). In this position, if the ball is higher up, it is hard to move your hands up and still catch it. You would just want to catch it coming down and let your body position choose where it falls in your hands. It would be easy to go lower...but not higher and not left or right.

I think most of you would agree with me that the ball is almost to him yet it is horizontal so it is not coming from an arched position on its way down (or not a major arc...might be slight). If he misguesses the speed of the ball or his jump, it's over.

Try putting your hands like his and then try moving to the left or right...can't...you'd have to move your body. Try going up...can't. Drops, drops.

What do you guys think?

pete74
05-03-2010, 03:43 AM
i think it just looks that way because the angle of the photo

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 03:43 AM
What do you guys think?

I think we need a picture.:chuckle:

Steelers>NFL
05-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Ok John Madden...

GBMelBlount
05-03-2010, 08:15 AM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/98773784.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F5F1C7DDD5AA4CCD20 821A6960CA713A804CC4D4E1A4E68EB8

What do you guys think?

I think how catches the ball is less important to me than it was a few days ago.....

Just sayin...

SteelerEmpire
05-03-2010, 08:29 AM
If you notice his pinky fingers should be angled inward toward each other to provide a brace for the ball so it won't fall "down", toward the ground, once it hits his hands. All 4 parts of the axis must be accounted for (horizontal positive and negative, vertical positive and negative) to make a good catch because the centripetal force of the ball (the ball spinning) will force it to where ever theirs an open space or weakest area of his grasp... hence... a dropped ball. I caught 9 of every 10 passes as a WR in HS... those were the days... Those gloves that WR's wear now-a-days don't help either. Notice Lynn Swann never wore gloves...

Nadroj 20
05-03-2010, 09:14 AM
He just needs to not think about it and catch the ball. The moment the thought "OMG I have to catch this pass" comes into his head....its going to mess him up.

Dont think about it limas.

CanadianSteel
05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
I noticed that Limas seems to want to drop to the ground after a catch much of the time.... and falls kinda awkward .... not sure this helps him ....

Men of Steel
05-03-2010, 09:20 AM
... and if you look close enough, theres a clumsy receiver in the pic.
:hatsoff:

klick81
05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't think this matters much anymore.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Sweed can't catch because because of the one thing this picture doesn't show... Troy Polamalu bearing down on him at 100 mph, ready to take his head off...

But I think the OP's thoughts fit into the category of "over-analysis leads to paralysis..."

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Sweed can't catch because because of the one thing this picture doesn't show... Troy Polamalu bearing down on him at 100 mph, ready to take his head off...

But I think the OP's thoughts fit into the category of "over-analysis leads to paralysis..."

Ha Ha...lol Nobody took me seriously. Just try it. Position your hands like that and have your kid or wife or whomever throw you a straight ball and see if you can adjust like that.

The one thing I'll say is that is often a position some leave their hands in while waiting for someone to throw the ball and people can adjust in less than a second. The is a midpoint where one has to decide whether they will have their hands in that position (for a low ball) or with thumbs in and down (for a high ball) but that ball looks almost there. Maybe it is going to head to that mid point (or lower) and he just chose that position and the ball looks that way because the photogropher is so low. IDK.

SteelCurtain0815
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I definitely see what you are talking about with the way his hands are positioned. That would be extremely difficult to catch footballs consistently with your thumbs in the air instead of pointing to the inside. That's why I think the ball has to be heading to his lower body. There's no way Sweed could have made it this far by catching a football like that. Someone would have taught him different.

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
I definitely see what you are talking about with the way his hands are positioned. That would be extremely difficult to catch footballs consistently with your thumbs in the air instead of pointing to the inside. That's why I think the ball has to be heading to his lower body. There's no way Sweed could have made it this far by catching a football like that. Someone would have taught him different.

Thanks for being the first one to try to see what I was saying. I'm going to hope the ball is headed down and the photographers angle is misleading us. When you see the others, their hands are not like Sweeds.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Ha Ha...lol Nobody took me seriously. Just try it. Position your hands like that and have your kid or wife or whomever throw you a straight ball and see if you can adjust like that.

The one thing I'll say is that is often a position some leave their hands in while waiting for someone to throw the ball and people can adjust in less than a second. The is a midpoint where one has to decide whether they will have their hands in that position (for a low ball) or with thumbs in and down (for a high ball) but that ball looks almost there. Maybe it is going to head to that mid point (or lower) and he just chose that position and the ball looks that way because the photogropher is so low. IDK.

Ha! No, I see what you're saying...I was just messing around.

What I'd be curious to see is a number of pictures to make comparisons to, specifically those which are IN GAME, and not necessarily one like this where the concentration level might not be at its peak.

but i think we can also safely assume is that the coaching staff is all over this, trying to see what the issue is... i'm guessing these guys are analyzed to no end...

wootawnee
05-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I think he just dropped 2 balls.........This thread is ridiculous.....

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 05:27 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201005/xfreed_steelers050110_2_330.jpg

]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201005/20100503mf_sweed_330.jpg

Wallace is on top and Sweed is on bottom there is not much difference in the two in the way they catch the ball.

St33lersguy
05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Doesn't help that the reciever in the picture sucks

Florida_Steelers_Fan
05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
My fear is that we'd start seeing pictures of Sweed in which his eyes were shut...:dizzy:

Psyychoward86
05-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Doesn't help that the reciever in the picture sucks

lol

STEELAMANIA
05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
It really doesn't matter now that Sweed is likely gone.

SteelKnight
05-03-2010, 11:52 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201005/xfreed_steelers050110_2_330.jpg

]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201005/20100503mf_sweed_330.jpg

Wallace is on top and Sweed is on bottom there is not much difference in the two in the way they catch the ball.

In this picture, you can see the difference in hand position for a ball that will be in the upper part (compare that to the first picture. Maybe he caught that one. lol

I'll admit that in the first one the ball could be projected to end up down if it is going slow enough. Maybe the camera angle is making it look weird. Hmmm...

pepsyman1
05-04-2010, 12:13 AM
In this picture, you can see the difference in hand position for a ball that will be in the upper part (compare that to the first picture. Maybe he caught that one. lol

I'll admit that in the first one the ball could be projected to end up down if it is going slow enough. Maybe the camera angle is making it look weird. Hmmm...

In this picture, you can see that there is no Fanavision screen to split his attention toward, hence he might actually catch it. lol

Wallace108
05-04-2010, 12:26 AM
My fear is that we'd start seeing pictures of Sweed in which his eyes were shut...:dizzy:

:rofl:

Seriously though, I get what you're saying about the hand positioning, SteelKnight. But when seeing replays of his drops, it always seemed to me he was looking for defenders and taking his eyes off the football. You can't catch it if you don't see it.

Steeldude
05-04-2010, 12:35 AM
how do you know sweed isn't still in the process of rotating his hands?

i wish they would outlaw gloves. WRs who wear gloves are insecure about their catching ability.

7willBheaven
05-04-2010, 01:37 AM
You cant tell crap from the picture...a still image does not show the whole process...where his hands begin...where they end up...etc. On top of that...some people catch differently...just like some people write left handed...some right...people are different. There is not just ONE way to catch a ball...to throw a ball...etc. Like others said...to much over analyzing of a picture that doesnt tell the whole story.

Some people harp on Sweed's drops, when there havent been that many. He's had 7 catches in 2 years...of 12 thrown his way...1 was a hail mary and the another was thrown kinda into the ground almost. Either way its not THAT bad...I wouldnt be surprised if Holmes had more drops last year than Sweed did in his 2 years. I hope this injury isnt the end of him...i had a good feeling this year for him.

solardave
05-04-2010, 06:27 AM
I think the problem was in his head and that's why they down played it. It won't matter this year unfortunately. I really was hoping he'd turn it around.

zulater
05-04-2010, 06:30 AM
I noticed that Limas seems to want to drop to the ground after a catch much of the time.... and falls kinda awkward .... not sure this helps him ....

I've noticed after a pass Limas tends to drop to the ground, but generally I think it's in an attempt to see where the ball rolled off to.