PDA

View Full Version : I might be late on this Jonathan Dwyer news but...

lionslicer
05-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Jonathan Dwyer failed a drug test at the 2009 combine, and every team shyed away from him this year even though he passed it this year. Steelers trade Holmes for breaking the substance abuse policy, then draft this guy, doesn't make much sense to me :P

BlastFurnace
05-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Jonathan Dwyer failed a drug test at the 2009 combine, and every team shyed away from him this year even though he passed it this year. Steelers trade Holmes for breaking the substance abuse policy, then draft this guy, doesn't make much sense to me :P

The drug he took was for something he needs for an underlying medical condition that he has. If it was an issue, the Steelers would not have taken him.

lionslicer
05-03-2010, 11:31 AM
The drug he took was for something he needs for an underlying medical condition that he has. If it was an issue, the Steelers would not have taken him.

I didn't know, sorry :P
I just heard it from some random person, and it was all over the internet when I looked it up, I didn't see anything on him having a medicine until like 5 seconds ago and I was comming back to change the thread, but its too late now.

But I read a lot of teams didn't want to take him because he played out of the 3 point stance in the back field for a majority of his college career and would have trouble playing from the traditional running back stance in the NFL.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I didn't know, sorry :P
I just heard it from some random person, and it was all over the internet when I looked it up, I didn't see anything on him having a medicine until like 5 seconds ago and I was comming back to change the thread, but its too late now.

But I read a lot of teams didn't want to take him because he played out of the 3 point stance in the back field for a majority of his college career and would have trouble playing from the traditional running back stance in the NFL.

I think three things dropped Dwyer on most draft boards.

1) Rumor of "failed: drug test......which ended up being his A.D.D. medication (which he did indeed report beforehand).
2) The fact that he played his senior year at around 240-245 lbs....teams that were looooking for an everydown back wrote him off as strictly a power back. (He is now down to a a more svelt 230 lbs)
3) His slow 40 time...same as above, he was viewed as too one dimensional by some teams.

I thought that his tape shows that he has a pretty good upfield cut and a GREAT stiff arm...I think he could be a perfect compliment to Mendenhall.

solardave
05-03-2010, 11:44 AM

It makes sense when you find out the drug is for ADHD which he's been taking for many years. He's clean and a steal where we got him.

fansince'76
05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I think three things dropped Dwyer on most draft boards....

I heard it was because he lacked suddenness and glide. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Sharkissle29
05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I think three things dropped Dwyer on most draft boards.

1) Rumor of "failed: drug test......which ended up being his A.D.D. medication (which he did indeed report beforehand).
2) The fact that he played his senior year at around 240-245 lbs....teams that were looooking for an everydown back wrote him off as strictly a power back. (He is now down to a a more svelt 230 lbs)
3) His slow 40 time...same as above, he was viewed as too one dimensional by some teams.

I thought that his tape shows that he has a pretty good upfield cut and a GREAT stiff arm...I think he could be a perfect compliment to Mendenhall.

40 times and game speed are two totally different monsters.

if you look at his highlight reel, he is burning defensive backs, some that even have an angle on him. To be honest, i dont really care about his 40 speed, what i saw on tape was a guy thats probably a lot faster than he should be being that big.

Should be a fun one to watch

BlastFurnace
05-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I heard it was because he lacked suddenness and glide. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

:rofl:

Thankfully, we still have the Suddenness and Glide in camp.

Every time I see Redmond run, I can't help but think of that.

BlastFurnace
05-03-2010, 12:01 PM
On his pay site, Wexell said that Dwyer showed more burst and speed than the coaches expected.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2010, 12:03 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
05-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I wonder if playing at Georgia Tech hurt his stock as well. They run that funny wing t option formation, so that could have played into some decision making. Also, it was a really deep RB draft class when you were looking for a role player/2nd stringer.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-03-2010, 12:06 PM
40 times and game speed are two totally different monsters.

if you look at his highlight reel, he is burning defensive backs, some that even have an angle on him. To be honest, i dont really care about his 40 speed, what i saw on tape was a guy thats probably a lot faster than he should be being that big.

Should be a fun one to watch

Exactly....too many teams relied on outside scouting reports and missed out on a player.

pancake
05-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I am excited to have him in black and gold. He doesn't look slow on his high-light tape...

Galax Steeler
05-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I am excited to have him in black and gold. He doesn't look slow on his high-light tape...

Agreed it looks like he has a great acceleration when he hits the holes hopefully he will make the transition into the nfl with no problem.

steeltheone
05-03-2010, 03:08 PM
He is not a draft steal till he proves something.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2010, 03:49 PM
He is not a draft steal till he proves something.

exactly.... i think people are putting the cart in front of the horse... :doh:

The Duke
05-03-2010, 06:46 PM
exactly.... i think people are putting the cart in front of the horse... :doh:

All I'm hoping is he is good enough to give mendenhall a breather every once in a while. And that he doesn't fumble while he does it

Still, for what he's displayed in college he's great value in the 6th round

AllD
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM

"I tried marijuana one time. I don't know what I was doing, I was on coke at the time."
-Rodney Dangerfield.

Steeldude
05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
is he a run-you-over type of RB? the highlight films don't show much. people thought gerhart was a run-you-over type of back, but he is actually more of a run-around-you type of RB(similar to eddie george). the run-you-over RB looks to be a dying breed.

MasterOfPuppets
05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
All I'm hoping is he is good enough to give mendenhall a breather every once in a while. And that he doesn't fumble while he does it

Still, for what he's displayed in college he's great value in the 6th round

" great value" , remains to be seen. that label was put on him by the draft geeks , not pro scouts, thats why he was there in the 6th.every team had several chances at him and even the steelers passed him up a few times in the 5th ...which is where "the tank" was dubbed as "great value" ... is he still considered "great value" ? i'm not hatin on the guy, i hope like hell he does turn out to be great value, but i'm gonna wait to see if he even makes the active roster before i get to excited about him.

Psyychoward86
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
is he a run-you-over type of RB? the highlight films don't show much. people thought gerhart was a run-you-over type of back, but he is actually more of a run-around-you type of RB(similar to eddie george). the run-you-over RB looks to be a dying breed.

he gets a lot of yards. how about that :wink:

scsteeler
05-04-2010, 02:47 AM
After looking at Dwyer's highlight videos he has great vision when running and can make that little move that causes a defender to miss him.

WeegiesWarriors
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Paul Johnson, coach of GT, whom I'm a huge fan of, must have Dwyer pan out in order to sell his triple at a major D1 university. Being a fan of the triple I hope he can do it, but it remains to be seen if he can recruit in that offense at that level.

I watched GT every chance I got. I like Dwyer. He did more than just play fullback in that offense. Many plays were called for him to get the edge... not true sweeps, but in a sense as close to a sweep as you get out of the option offense for a fullback. Even on those the LB's have to play their assignment giving Dwyer a bit of an edge he wouldn't have in a pro offense. It will be interesting to see if he can translate to the pros. When's the last true option FB to convert to HB in the pros? Not many in the past couple decades for sure. Lack of sample size hurt his stock imo. Nobody wanted to take a chance.

markymarc
05-08-2010, 10:49 AM
IMO Jonathan Dwyer will be a great and welcome compliment to Rashard Mendenhall. I get the whole draft steal debate and no one knows until the regular season rolls around, but personally I feel NFL General Managers are going to be kicking themselves for not picking up this kid.

Major kudos to Colbert and Tomlin for giving Dwyer a shot in Pittsburgh.

WH
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
"I tried marijuana one time. I don't know what I was doing, I was on coke at the time."
-Rodney Dangerfield.

Is there a comedian better at one liners?

No.