PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Willis Cashes In: 5 Years, $50 Million

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Pro Bowl LB Willis signs five-year, $50M extension with 49ers

NFL.com Wire Reports

The San Francisco 49ers announced Tuesday that three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis has signed a five-year contract extension through 2016, and a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the deal includes $29 million guaranteed and is worth a maximum of $50 million

It's another big offseason splash by new 49ers personnel chief Trent Baalke, who took charge after general manager Scot McCloughan's abrupt departure in March.

Locking up Willis for the long haul makes sure the 49ers keep their defensive leader after they bolstered their offense in the draft with two top linemen.

"I am very proud of what Pat has been able to accomplish," 49ers coach Mike Singletary said in a statement released by the team. "He is the epitome of what a 49er is all about. Pat has had to overcome a lot in his life and has maintained the ability to stay focused on his goals. Before it is all said and done, he may go down as one of the best to play the position.

"I am thankful that our organization has realized Pat is one of the core pieces to this puzzle, and I am excited for our community, fans, coaches and players that we will have Pat here for a very long time."

Willis, a first-round pick (11th overall) by the 49ers in the 2007 NFL draft, has led the team in tackles in each of his first three seasons. He also has made 48 consecutive starts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d817f3d55&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Being an inside linebacker, I wonder if this will have much effect on Woodley's deal?

Ness
05-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Glad we have him locked up finally. Now it's time to take care of Vernon Davis.

revefsreleets
05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
This is EXACTLY why we just drafted 2, possibly 3 OLB's.

It's the "Eagles plan". Draft replacements a year or two before the FA's demand crazy money.

Willem Gerber
05-05-2010, 08:14 AM
This is good...the man deserves it.

steelreserve
05-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Being an inside linebacker, I wonder if this will have much effect on Woodley's deal?

Probably not, since Woodley isn't anywhere near as good.

I mean, sorry, but this guy is a perennial All-Pro whose best years are still ahead of him.

Still, $10M is too much for any linebacker to be making if you ask me. It'll screw up your whole salary cap if there's even a season after this year.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2010, 09:59 PM
This is EXACTLY why we just drafted 2, possibly 3 OLB's.

It's the "Eagles plan". Draft replacements a year or two before the FA's demand crazy money.

Meh. Aren't they commanding "crazy money" at most positions? Is OLB that much different?...

revefsreleets
05-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Meh. Aren't they commanding "crazy money" at most positions? Is OLB that much different?...

Yes, which is exactly why we drafted OLB's. It really doesn't matter what position we are discussing, it's solid strategy to have replacements lined up in advance. In fact, it's a nice luxury to be able to do so.

Concerning the comment about Willis being so much better than Woodley. That's relative. Last year Willis had an astonishing 152 tackles, but only 4 sacks. Wood only had 62 tackles, but he had 13.5 sacks. They play different positions in different kinds of defenses. I'm not taking anything away from Willis, who is amazing, but want to bolster Woodley, who be a multiple-year Pro-Bowler and also will only get better.

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
for a better idea of what kinda money woodley might be looking for, look at demarcus wares 7 year, 79 million contract..