PDA

View Full Version : Even Steelers' Ward favors return to emphasizing run game

Galax Steeler
05-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Hines Ward's personal goals would be achieved more easily in an offense that leaned heavily on the pass. As he plays into his football dotage, the more he adds to his receiving statistics, the closer he can get to the Hall of Fame.

Instead, the most-productive receiver in Steelers history is the latest to join the growing list in the organization who believes the offense must run more consistently in 2010.

"Last year, we had a prolific offense," Ward noted. "We had two 1,000-yard receivers, a 1,000-yard back and a 4,000-yard quarterback, and we were out of the playoffs. Go figure that."

Others have been doing just that. It began when Steelers president Art Rooney said in January, "We need to figure out how to get better running the football."

It continued in March when coach Mike Tomlin affirmed his intent to improve his ground game.

"We've got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that's how we desire to play football, and it increases our chances of winning," Tomlin said. "It makes us a more dominant football team."

To that end, the Steelers spent their weekend minicamp using a variety of players at fullback -- Frank Summers, who played some there as a rookie; converted rookie defensive tackle Demetrius Taylor, running back Isaac Redman and tight ends David Johnson and Sean McHugh, who have played the position for the Steelers.

"I see us working on it more in walk-throughs," Summers said of the running game. "There's more emphasis on it, we're going over it in meetings."

Other circumstances should speed the process, including the suspension of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for at least the first four games of the season and the trade of receiver Santonio Holmes.

Ward sees the Steelers running more, particularly in the early part of the season when Roethlisberger is not available.

"Yeah, I do, just to be more balanced. I mean it's great to put up numbers but to complement our defense -- who weren't as powerful as they normally are -- we have to control the ball more, time of possession. I suspect we can."

Ward believes Roethlisberger's desire and ability to pass influenced some of the strategy.

"We don't try to throw the ball. It's just, in some cases, Ben likes to run the no-huddle and, when you run the no-huddle, you add probably about 10-15 more attempts to your passing plays. So, when he throws 20-25 times, add 10-15 more attempts by doing the spread huddle.

"It's something that works for us. We were good, we just have to be better in the red zone. I don't think we had problems driving up and down the field, but we have to do a better job when we get down in the red zone and put more focus and emphasis on that."

Ward also said they can return to a strong running game behind Rashard Mendenhall and the addition of rookie Jonathan Dwyer.

"I predict we'll be more balanced. Look for Mendenhall, for us to use a lot of him. Dwyer looks like he's coming on strong. Who knows? I would like to be a more-balanced team, I think it complements our defense and makes us a better ball team."
New helmet for Big Ben

Roethlisberger, who had been wearing a more traditional looking helmet, has switched to a Riddell Revolution Speed helmet that provides more head protection. He wore the helmet during his two spring practices April 19-20. Roethlisberger missed a game in Baltimore in November because of concussion-like symptoms from a hit the previous game.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10125/1055623-66.stm#ixzz0n2kd5ik7

Steelers>NFL
05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Ward - quit talking too much. Some Steeler fans say you talk to much.
But I do not mind. After all, you are da man. You do not do stupid things
to put you or team in harms way. :sofunny:

SteelGhost
05-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Smart thoughts from a great player who wants another ring before retiring :applaudit:

Kudos to Hines :tt02:

Edman
05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
"Ben likes to run the no-huddle..."

Of course he does. It works. But we don't. Why is that coach?

revefsreleets
05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
We've drafted personnel over the last two drafts that better fit that scheme. Naturally, we'll see that play out on the field.

Also, this statement cannot be ignored:
"We don't try to throw the ball. It's just, in some cases, Ben likes to run the no-huddle and, when you run the no-huddle, you add probably about 10-15 more attempts to your passing plays. So, when he throws 20-25 times, add 10-15 more attempts by doing the spread huddle.

So the BA haters want to see the no-huddle more AND run the ball more. That's, um......a problem.

Dino 6 Rings
05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Running means less double teams for our WR's as well. So its natural for the #1 target, Ward, (with Holmes gone) will want to see less double teams and more one on one situations for him to make catches against.

fansince'76
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
So the BA haters want to see the no-huddle more AND run the ball more. That's, um......a problem.

It's not on Madden! :chuckle:

steelpride12
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
It makes sense. Def. with Ben being out up to 6 games they will need to emphasize the run so the pass will be much easier to connect. The run game is Steeler's football whether you like it or not.

revefsreleets
05-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm all for running the ball more...as long as it, you know, actually works.

SteelGhost
05-05-2010, 01:04 PM
There won't be "no-huddle offense" for 4 to 6 games, so they better be ready to run the ball effectively. This offseason has been veeery entertaining so far :popcorn:

XxKnightxX
05-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Put Jason Worilds at Fullback if theyre that desperate to find one. Hes number 25 on the video.:tt02:

Sl0ggZI1rZM

wootawnee
05-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Running the ball beats up and wears out defenses and the clock = wins........We got to get our nohuddle redzone going with awesome running attacks......

polamalubeast
05-05-2010, 05:46 PM
The important thing for the steelers was better run in certain situations.

If our ground game is not good, it must pass.

The steelers have a record of 7-2 since 2008 when he gets less than 70 yards rushing.

So for me, the running game is important in the 3rd and 2 situation or in the red zone, but the rest is the passing game, which is most important.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Ward is such a hater. :headshake:

JoshF
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Not only would I love to see a return to a running game, but I completely agree that its what is needed. I've actually dabbled in some football statistics recently, and using some logistic regression have found that rushing yards gained have a far greater impact than do passing yards gained on winning a game. But of course why that is is debatable.

All in all, I can't wait for a return of the Steelers running game. I just rewatched SB XL, and damn Jerome Bettis was just amazing.

steelerchad
05-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Not only would I love to see a return to a running game, but I completely agree that its what is needed. I've actually dabbled in some football statistics recently, and using some logistic regression have found that rushing yards gained have a far greater impact than do passing yards gained on winning a game. But of course why that is is debatable.

All in all, I can't wait for a return of the Steelers running game. I just rewatched SB XL, and damn Jerome Bettis was just amazing.

I think this is in part due to protecting a lead in the second half. I used to have the same arguement in favor of Ben vs. other QB's. People said he didn't throw much, well yea because we were always running out the clock instead of slinging it all over the place trying to catch up from 2 scores down. Some of the QB's with the gaudiest passing yards stats are the ones on losing teams that are always playing catch up.

solardave
05-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm all for running the ball more...as long as it, you know, actually works.

With the Hosses we'll have back there (if we use a true fullback) it'll work. I'm not even talking all the time just line up with a fullback to keep the D honest. When they stack 8 in the box and we stomp them down they'll be hoping we start throwing the ball.

St33lersguy
05-07-2010, 03:53 PM
This sounds like good news, I have about had it with the shotgun and they need to run the ball more.

markymarc
05-08-2010, 01:23 PM
As long as we score more points than the opponent, then do whatever it takes to win games.