PDA

View Full Version : Best Guitarist of all time (Top 5)

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 01:44 PM
I looked and never found a thread in which we have discussed this.

Give your top five and reasons.

1) Eric Clapton- Perfect example of why speed isnt the prime factor in determining talent. All he does is play the guitar perfectly...the perfect note at the perfect time.

2) Jimi Hendrix- Haunting riffs...actually used "feedback" as a musical tool...pioneer in the use of sterophonics.

3) Chet Atkins- Master of the"choke style" of guitar playing - his first three fingers would play melodies while his thumb played the alternating bass accompaniment...even if you hate country music you would appreciate the genius of this man.

4) Stevie Ray Vaughan- Could make any rock song sound like the blues...his style is so unique that you could tell it was Stevie Ray when you heard the song for the first time.

5) Jimmy Page- I have never been as big of a fan of Led Zeppelin as I am of Page...one of the best technical guitarists ever.

What do you think?

AllD
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
You forgot Eddie Van Halen.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
You forgot Eddie Van Halen.

He would be in my top 10....no doubt!

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
kinda hard to leave this dude off the list...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sMWTqUuSh4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-sMWTqUuSh4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

stlrtruck
05-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't know if I can rate them 1-5 but in my top 5:

Jimi Hendrix
Joe Satriani
Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Steve Vai

The Patriot
05-05-2010, 02:15 PM
...not a fan of Zeppelin? :surprise::splat:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't know if I can rate them 1-5 but in my top 5:

Jimi Hendrix
Joe Satriani
Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Steve Vai

I love Satriani... add him and Carlos Santana to my top 10 also.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 02:20 PM
...not a fan of Zeppelin? :surprise::splat:

Blame it on my freshman college roomate....he played NOTHING but Zeppelin and Floyd....24 hours.....every...freakin....day.
:willy:

TheWarDen86
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
As far an an innovator, Eddie Van Halen (although not a HUGE fan) should be in the top 5.
I'd probably put Lindsay Buckingham up there somewhere too. If not in the T5 then in the T10. He never gets the credit he deserves.

If we weren't exclusively talking Rick Guitar, then Andre Segovia as well.

I can't help but feel as though I'm forgetting someone....

Anyway, your list is tough to debate LLT. Comes down to preference I guess.

SteelersinCA
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Santana, Stevie Ray, Steve Vai, Clapton, Hendrix. Can't rank them.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
As far an an innovator, Eddie Van Halen (although not a HUGE fan) should be in the top 5.
I'd probably put Lindsay Buckingham up there somewhere too. If not in the T5 then in the T10. He never gets the credit he deserves.

If we weren't exclusively talking Rick Guitar, then Andre Segovia as well.

I can't help but feel as though I'm forgetting someone....

Anyway, your list is tough to debate LLT. Comes down to preference I guess.

I felt the same way about "forgetting someone"

I'm surprised I havn't had anyone argue the Chet Atkins pick..but MAN the dude was impressive!!!

Indo
Good Thread!

I would have to agree that Clapton is God.

Your order is also VERY good. But let me throw in these names as food for thought:

Steve Vai---saw him play in a small venue (The House Of Blues) in New Orleans. Technically Perfect. Makes sounds that the guitar Should Not Be Able to Make.
His Disciples include Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson

B.B. King: do I need to say more? Again re-iterating that speed is not always what it's about. With B.B. the spaces between the notes sometimes are more important than the notes. Can make a guitar cry.

Robert Johnson: Legend says he sold his soul to the Devil so that he could play guitar. Listen to his music. He never played the same phrase twice in a song. It sounds like primitive blues when you first listen to it; but listen again. And again. It is extremely complex. Eric Clapton said that Robert Johnson's music is impossible to duplicate because no one can figure out exactly how he played those songs.
People try to duplicate them---no one succeeds.

Django Reinhardt: Known as the Father of Jazz Guitar. Again, very complex

David Gilmour: The whole essence of Pink Floyd was/is dependent upon his guitar. The melodies he played draw you in, surround you. The notes have color...Even if you don't know a song on the radio, you KNOW when Gilmour is playing the guitar.

There are a whole bunch of great guitarists---

Jeff Beck; Kenny Wayne Shepherd;Billy Gibbons;Dwayne Allman;Any of the Skynyrd guitarists; Alex Lifeson; Eddie Van Halen, and the list goes on and on

My top 5 ELITE Guitar Players of All Time:

1) Eric Clapton
http://www.sytner.co.uk/ferrari/maranello-egham/about-us/news-and-events/datafinder/news/~/media/News/2010/02/Eric_Clapton_1328_19597098.ashx

2)SRV ---I think he takes what Hendrix did to a New Level. I like his version of Voodoo Chile' and Little Wing better than Hendrix's originals
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/indiekid999/Stevie_Ray_Vaughan.jpg

3)David Gilmour
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kss1lqIFhn1qap2n2o1_400.jpg

4) Jimmy Hendrix
http://420bloomington.com/images/JHpurplehaze.jpg

5) Two-Way tie between BB King and Robert Johnson
http://www.bluescentric.com/blues/robert_johnson/robert-johnson_1.jpg
http://relentlesspoa.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/bb-king.jpg

Bonus Question(s):

What is B.B. King's REAL first name and
What does "B.B." stand for?

(no cheating---who knows WITHOUT Googling it?)

SteelMember
wow. Just 5 huh.

Well, you have listed some very good options there LLT. I personally love them all.

1. Jimi Hendrix - definately at the top if not "the" top. The guitar was a toy in his hands.

2. Stevie Ray - Texas blues "is" Stevie Ray.

3. Jimmy Page - Very versitile and talented. He was a very "technical" player, but on stage he more than often was more sloppy than anything... and he still made it sound good.

4. Eddie Van Halen - The hammer on/finger tapping. He can make the guitar talk better than Frampton could ever imagine.

5. Yngwie Malmsteen - In the mold of a Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Tony MacAlpine. Great classical training converted to shredding metal.

Honorable Mentions:

Randy Rhodes - Ozzy (solo) would never have been Ozzy without this guy.
Alex Lifeson - Very melodic and technical. fast or slow... he could pick it.
Tom Morello - The concept of dj scratching to the guitar. innovative player.
Dimebag Darrell - ok. maybe not too many people like Pantera, but this guy could rip it up.

SteelCityMom
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
A top 5 is nothing without Yngwie Malmsteen or Zappa.

Other 3 on my list would be Hendrix, Tony Iommi, and Jimmy Page.

One of my favorites that only gets an honorable mention is Alexi Laiho.

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
jeff beck is another you could make a strong case for...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1yGB6d_3n58&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1yGB6d_3n58&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Good Thread!

I would have to agree that Clapton is God.

Your order is also VERY good. But let me throw in these names as food for thought:

Steve Vai---saw him play in a small venue (The House Of Blues) in New Orleans. Technically Perfect. Makes sounds that the guitar Should Not Be Able to Make.
His Disciples include Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson

)
actually i believe vai is a disciple of satriani.... vai took lessons from satriani. :wink02:

Satriani began teaching guitar, with his most notable student at the time being fellow Long Island native Steve Vai. While he was teaching Vai, he was attending Five Towns College for studies in music.

In 1978 Satriani moved to Berkeley, California to pursue a music career, not long after Satriani arrived in California, he resumed teaching. His students included Vai, Kirk Hammett of Metallica, David Bryson of Counting Crows, Kevin Cadogan from Third Eye Blind, Larry LaLonde of Primus / Possessed, Alex Skolnick of Testament, Rick Hunolt (ex-Exodus), Phil Kettner of Lz Rockit, Geoff Tyson of T-Ride, and Charlie Hunter.

ricardisimo
05-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Paco de Lucia
Andres Segovia
Leo Kottke
David Gilmour
Jeff Beck

I think Jonny Greenwood is closing fast on this list.

Indo
05-05-2010, 03:10 PM
actually i believe vai is a disciple of satriani.... vai took lessons from satriani. :wink02:

OOPS! You're absolutely right (I'm a dumbass)---I meant to say he's a Protege of Satriani

Satch and Vai teamed up with Johnson to play the G3 Tour (can't remember what year---mid-'90s)

Indo
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
And, yes, Paco de Lucia is a phenomenal guitarist---he's in my top 10

revefsreleets
05-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Believe it or not, Prince. He's incredibly underrated as a guitar player. I also like Keith Richards a lot for his riffs and solo's, not necessarily his technicality.

A few other names that deserve mention:
Phil Keagy
Ritchie Blackmore
Frank Zappa
Mark Knopfler
Brian May
Buck Dharma

Not necessarily saying all these guys deserve top 5 consideration, but regarding influence and/or innovation, I'd say they all have a place in the discussion at least...

Indo
05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Dick Dale and Ry Cooder should be in the discussion as well

Aussie_steeler
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
How about a little southern hemisphere perspective

Best Accoustic guitar player that we have

Tommy Emmanuel

6lbvSBNLLoo&feature=related

And of course there is only one guitar rock god

:tt03:Angus :tt03:Angus :tt03: Angus :tt03:Angus

icIygHdSGFc&feature=related

He may not be top 5 but he will always be number 1 to us Aussie's

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
For the generation who never got to see the effortless guitar playing of Chet Atkins...Here is a clip.

Remember...forget about the genre and watch the technique. I have heard hard core rockers refer to Atkins as a major influence....watch and you can see why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Svm_Vnntyk&a=xY2Bd03tPg4&playnext_from=ML

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 03:53 PM
How about a little southern hemisphere perspective

Best Accoustic guitar player that we have

Tommy Emmanuel

:thumbsup:

very nice.

And of course there is only one guitar rock god

:tt03:Angus :tt03:Angus :tt03: Angus :tt03:Angus

He may not be top 5 but he will always be number 1 to us Aussie's

He would be on a lot of peoples list!!!

WH
05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
We need a Top 5 drummers thread. And if Neil Peart isn't at the top of all your lists....i'm going to put gum in your hair.

Guitarists.
Stevey Ray Vaugh
Satriani
Hedrix
Keith Richards

and this guy

m3gMgK7h-BA

MACH1
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Here's a few more

Randy Rhodes
Zakk Wylde
Ted Nugent

Indo
05-05-2010, 04:14 PM
"Guitar Toes" is pretty Amazing, but can he play Eruption

And yes, Neil Peart is the Best Drummer of All Time---even though someone will say that Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's drummer (Carl Palmer) is better.

High on the list are Jon Bonham, Keith Moon, and David Grohl. Everybody always includes Ringo Starr---personally I don't think he was that great. He just played for a REALLY good band.

Show me this, Guitar Toes:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_lwocmL9dQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_lwocmL9dQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TheWarDen86
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
"Guitar Toes" is pretty Amazing, but can he play Eruption

And yes, Neil Peart is the Best Drummer of All Time---even though someone will say that Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's drummer (Carl Palmer) is better.

High on the list are Jon Bonham, Keith Moon, and David Grohl. Everybody always includes Ringo Starr---personally I don't think he was that great. He just played for a REALLY good band.

Dave Lombardo (Slayer) would also be high on that list. In fact, I'd put him ahead of Moon, Bonham, definitely Grohl and there's no doubt in my mind that he'd give Neil Peart a run for his money.

Indo
05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree...

I find that the "BEST" Guitarist, Drummer, Bassist, Kazoo, etc. player
is completely dependent on one's mood at the time and also on one's bias for any particular musical genre because LLT is right---Chet Atkins WAS a phenomenal guitarist, but he doesn't make too many ALL-Time lists.

Leo Fender was a HUGE fan of country music and "invented"/developed his guitar for the "twanginess" that he revered in Country music. Interesting that his guitar became, at the time, one of the two front-runners (along with the Les Paul Classic) for Rock Musicians.

Bonus Question Answers:

B.B. King's real name is Riley King
B.B. stands for "Blues Boy". He picked up this name when he was DJing at a radio station...all in his autobiography (Wikipedia has it somewhat wrong, apparently. Wow. Wiki is wrong...there's a surprise)

AllD
05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T12wRBAhcTY

Dazed and Confused

WH
05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T12wRBAhcTY

Dazed and Confused
that's what i like about high school girls, I get older they stay the same age.

alright alright allllrigghhht.

Indo
05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
The Fender Strat in the hands of a master....
(tuned 1/2 a step down, of course)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDRPazZySzE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDRPazZySzE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

AllD
05-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Mick Taylor of the Rolling Stones, Can't You Hear Me Knockin' is probably the most underrated and underpaid player from that era.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
The Fender Strat in the hands of a master....
(tuned 1/2 a step down, of course)

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vasteeler
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
after reading all the responses its hard to narrow down

hendrix
slash
bb king
jack white(not yet maybe a few more years)
page/srv/robert randolph

Indo
05-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the privilege of watching Stevie Ray play at the New Orleans Jazz Fest several months before he died. Such a shame because he had just gotten his life straightened out---off of booze and cocaine----when his plane went down.

I was against the stage rail---close enough for him to sweat on me!
His hands were Lightning! And he played like he was from another Planet

R.I.P. SRV

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I had the privilege of watching Stevie Ray play at the New Orleans Jazz Fest several months before he died. Such a shame because he had just gotten his life straightened out---off of booze and cocaine----when his plane went down.

R.I.P. SRV
the really sad part is, outside of the blues community, he got very little recognition until AFTER he died...

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 04:58 PM

R.I.P. SRV

Very cool.

I remember watching Clapton and Eddie Van Halen together on a televison show when I was in high school....(I think it was Austin City Limits...but not sure)

I remember they would talk and then play a little...then talk aboout technique...play a little.....

At one point Eddie went into a nice riff and played for about a solid minute at unbelievable speed....he finished and the crowd went crazy. As soon as it got quiet...Clapton started playing the same riff without even looking at his guitar and the crowd went NUTS!!!! Eddie was laughing his butt off, and when the crowd erupted, he knelt in front of Clapton and did the "bow"....very funny and very cool to see.

I can remember thinking at the time..."Wow...Clapton actually chooses to not play that style...but it doesnt mean that he can't"!!!

Indo
05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
To MOP:

Yes...I'm fascinated by the conviction that he had----to be one of the Grand Masters
He played guitar on David Bowie's "Let's Dance" album. When Bowie asked him to go on tour and be his guitar player, Stevie Ray said "No, thank you. I'm going to make my own album". That's a guy who knew how good he was...
Another factoid---SRV's drummer is Kenny Wayne Shepherd's uncle. KWS apparently used to watch Double Trouble rehearse...and he has emulated SRV's style ever since...right down to the "KWS" on his guitar strap. He copies SRV's version of "VoodooChile" in concert...

To LLT:

Yes...the Grand Masters can play it all
I have seen most of the favorites that I listed (and many more, of course)
But the SRV show and the Clapton show were my favorites
Saw David Gilmour / Pink Floyd in the Superdome
BB King in a small venue in New Orleans (The Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts). I always love seeing them in the more intimate venues

There's a movie called Crossroads which makes reference to the Crossroads where Robert Johnson allegedly sold his Soul to the Devil to be able to play guitar like no other. Ralph Maccio plays a character who is a guitar player searching for the "hidden" 29th song of Robert Johnson; the 29th song being part of the Robert Johnson legend.
At the end of the movie there is a Showdown between the Devil's Guitarist (played by Steve Vai) and Ralph Maccios character. Of course the Devil's Guy loses and bows down at Ralph's feet (actually I can't remember if he actually bows down; I think he just scurries off in shame...). It's a pretty good movie. Your story of Eddie VH doing that with Clapton reminded me of it

Indo
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
BTW,
Remember Clapton played with Cream---VERY psychedelic rock
and the Yardbirds, and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and Derek and the Dominos (did I miss anybody) and then went solo...Slowhand was very "country-ish" in parts and had songs like "Cocaine" that's anything but country.
He can and has done it all...
One of the reasons he's at the Top of my list

GutterflowerSteel
05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
BTW,
Remember Clapton played with Cream---VERY psychedelic rock
and the Yardbirds, and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, and Derek and the Dominos (did I miss anybody)

Blind Faith :wink02:

Not in any particular order, but my favorite guitarists are:

Jimmy Page - I'd love him just for his solos in Ten Years Gone
Nancy Wilson of Heart (she never gets the credit that she's due)
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Prince (incredible live)

steelerdude15
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Slash would be my favorite of all time... Let's see... Jimi, Slash, Jimmy Page, Eddie V.H.., and Syn. Gates.

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Blind Faith :wink02:

Not in any particular order, but my favorite guitarists are:

Jimmy Page - I'd love him just for his solos in Ten Years Gone
Nancy Wilson of Heart (she never gets the credit that she's due)
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Prince (incredible live)
lol...i knew it was a matter of time before you jumped into this thread. its pretty obvious your a music lover. i would have thought you would be more of a joan jett fan than nancy wilson though ...:noidea:

GutterflowerSteel
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM
lol...i knew it was a matter of time before you jumped into this thread. its pretty obvious your a music lover. i would have thought you would be more of a joan jett fan than nancy wilson though ...:noidea:

Naaah - NANCY is the queen :thumbsup: Heart was a huge influence on me, vocally. I've seen them 10X over the years, I think. They were my first big rock concert :tt03: Joan Jett's from Rockville, MD, though.

How could I forget to include Slash?!

BTW, did you hear about this - can't believe it's right here in town - with Paul Rodgers, yet :

http://www.outlawjam.com/

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Naaah - NANCY is the queen :thumbsup: Heart was a huge influence on me, vocally. I've seen them 10X over the years, I think. They were my first big rock concert :tt03: Joan Jett's from Rockville, MD, though.

How could I forget to include Slash?!

BTW, did you hear about this - can't believe it's right here in town - with Paul Rodgers, yet :

http://www.outlawjam.com/

:jawdrop: ...peg bundy in fredneck ...:applaudit:
thats a nice lineup ... is it a one day event ?
i seen jackal at shiley acres WV , ..they put on a damn good show. :thumbsup:
i may have to look into the details for this one.

GutterflowerSteel
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
:jawdrop: ...peg bundy in fredneck ...:applaudit:
thats a nice lineup ... is it a one day event ?
i seen jackal at shiley acres WV , ..they put on a damn good show. :thumbsup:
i may have to look into the details for this one.

SHILEY ACRES!!! That's a blast from the past :drink: always had a lot of fun there. Dixie Road Ducks, Wrathchild ... I missed the concert with Blackfoot and The Outlaws.

Tickets for OutlawJam go on sale this Saturday through Ticketbastard. It's a one day event.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Naaah - NANCY is the queen :thumbsup: Heart was a huge influence on me, vocally. I've seen them 10X over the years, I think. They were my first big rock concert

Here you go Gutterflower....a great example of what you are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpNqB4dnT4&feature=related

The first 1:20 minutes are classic

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 06:51 PM
SHILEY ACRES!!! That's a blast from the past :drink: always had a lot of fun there. Dixie Road Ducks, Wrathchild ... I missed the concert with Blackfoot and The Outlaws.

Tickets for OutlawJam go on sale this Saturday through Ticketbastard. It's a one day event.
yeah, after i posted i went back and found the details...:doh:

what ever happend to shiley acres ? the 2 times i was there ( kix show) they had a nice crowd ...:noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 07:43 PM
rolling stone magazine's top 100
http://www.hotguitarist.com/guitar_artists/guitar_players.htm
eddie van halen at 70 and angus young at 96 while jerry garcia is at 13 ? garbage list :thmbdown:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3. B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder Click to answer
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
28 Stephen Stills
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service
33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
35 John Fahey
36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's
37 Bo Diddley
38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac
39 Brian May of Queen
40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
41 Clarence White of the Byrds
42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
44 Scotty Moore
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townsend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed
53 Mickey Baker
54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple
56 Tom Verlaine of Television
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead
61 Ike Turner
62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band
63 Danny Gatton
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour
67 Link Wray
68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
73 Trey Anastasio of Phish
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure
77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat
78 Robbie Robertson of the Band
79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)
80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids
81 Derek Trucks
82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
87 Joan Jett
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper
91 Robby Krieger of the Doors
92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5
94 Bert Jansch
95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine
96 Angus Young of AC/DC
97 Robert Randolph
98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer
99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

GutterflowerSteel
05-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Here you go Gutterflower....a great example of what you are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpNqB4dnT4&feature=related

The first 1:20 minutes are classic

Thanks, LLT :hug:

Wow, Midnight Special looks pretty good on YouTube lol

fansince'76
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Just my opinion:

1. Hendrix

2. Clapton

3 and on: everyone else.

And since I haven't seen his name here at all, I think Alvin Lee is an extremely underrated guitarist as well.

silver & black
05-05-2010, 08:40 PM
eddie van halen at 70 and angus young at 96 while jerry garcia is at 13 ? garbage list :thmbdown:

1. Jimi Hendrix
3. B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
28 Stephen Stills
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
35 John Fahey
37 Bo Diddley
39 Brian May of Queen
44 Scotty Moore
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townsend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed
53 Mickey Baker
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
61 Ike Turner
63 Danny Gatton
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
67 Link Wray
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure
81 Derek Trucks
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
87 Joan Jett
94 Bert Jansch
96 Angus Young of AC/DC
97 Robert Randolph

Great list. I'll add a few more names to it... Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush... which only us "old" people will know about...LOL, Adrian Legg, Dan Auerback of the Black Keys, Alex Skolnick, Robin Trower, Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers.

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Great list. I'll add a few more names to it... Frank Marino of Mahogany Rush... which only us "old" people will know about...LOL, Adrian Legg, Dan Auerback of the Black Keys, Alex Skolnick, Robin Trower, Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule and the Allman Brothers.

wow i forgot all about robin trower ..bridge of sighs..:thumbsup:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0d1HilfLxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x0d1HilfLxA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

allman brothers at #2

tony hipchest
05-05-2010, 09:18 PM

any top 100 list that doesnt include joe satriani is 100% pure crap. :poop:

TheWarDen86
05-05-2010, 09:26 PM

Even one of his pupils nearly cracked the top 10. AND they dissed my hero Lindsay Buckingham??? Man, that guy gets no love.

I agree; :poop:

GBMelBlount
05-05-2010, 09:37 PM

1. Jimi Hendrix
3. B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
28 Stephen Stills
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
35 John Fahey
37 Bo Diddley
39 Brian May of Queen
44 Scotty Moore
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townsend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed
53 Mickey Baker
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
61 Ike Turner
63 Danny Gatton
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
67 Link Wray
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure
81 Derek Trucks
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
87 Joan Jett
94 Bert Jansch
96 Angus Young of AC/DC
97 Robert Randolph

Garbage list, no kidding....and unless I missed it, Satriani isn't even on there.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Crap, just saw this after I posted.

Agreed. :drink:

SteelCityMom
05-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Forgot one of my favorite new (well, newer than Hendrix and Malmsteen) guitarists...Michael Romeo of Symphony X. Dude is just sick.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qT-aERl5rwY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qT-aERl5rwY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And since drummers was brought up...my top 5 are Moon, Bohnam, Peart, Danny Carey and my all all time favorite...Stewart Copeland.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPc83j4z4UY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cPc83j4z4UY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wee7mwlGPyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wee7mwlGPyA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 07:38 AM
@mom - Danny Carey is very good. I put him in with the likes of Chad Sexton-311.

ok, my "best drummers" would be...

1. Buddy Rich

2. Bonzo

3. Peart

4. Copeland

5. McBrain

Some really great studio/instructional guys like:

Jojo Mayer
Steve Gadd
Dave Weckl
Tommy Igoe

at the moment, my favorite "live" drummer is Shannon Larkin - Godsmack

Kindjunior
05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Its Peart and then everyone else....ask any drummer in the world

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Its Peart and then everyone else....ask any drummer in the world

Yes, Peart is great no denying, but he does seem to fall in love with his triplets too much.

His double bass helps a little too.

Buddy Rich tore it up wearing a 3-piece suit with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. :chuckle:

I do give extra kudos to Neil though. He changed his technique from match grip to traditional grip after a lotta years playing one way, and you can hardly "hear" the difference. I know this may not sound like a lot, but when you've pretty much depended on one way (for almost your entire career) of getting power and speed in your stroke, it's harder than you think.

ricardisimo
05-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Interesting list, but putting Cobain in front of Beck? I was glad to see Mick Ronson and Zappa on there. Satriani never floated my boat, he's a great technician, but he has nothing to say and puts me to sleep, so whatever.

The big problem for me is Ali Farka Toure. If you put him on the list, it means the Africans are in the competition, in which case there should be at least another twenty or thirty of them on any list like this that means anything.

Franco, D'Gary, Diblo Dibala, Zexie Manatsa, Smokey Hangaala, Baaba Maal... and on and on. These are global heavyweights, and leaving them off is simply criminal.

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes, Peart is great no denying, but he does seem to fall in love with his triplets too much.

His double bass helps a little too.

Buddy Rich tore it up wearing a 3-piece suit with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. :chuckle:

I do give extra kudos to Neil though. He changed his technique from match grip to traditional grip after a lotta years playing one way, and you can hardly "hear" the difference. I know this may not sound like a lot, but when you've pretty much depended on one way (for almost your entire career) of getting power and speed in your stroke, it's harder than you think.
if you like the double base, then check out mike portnoy of dream theater

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jBnK7fC4yj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jBnK7fC4yj0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Indo
05-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Almost as if he took a page right out of Peart's "Playbook"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q-BRee2bAho&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q-BRee2bAho&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Indo
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
BTW, Peter Criss is no slouch

Who remembers this from "ALIVE!"?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3iCfddqdA7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3iCfddqdA7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Indo
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
And here's some dude that I've never heard of---just happened to run across this when I was watching some Peart videos.

This guy's good...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QtIUyPukSTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QtIUyPukSTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2010, 12:34 PM
i love this video... i watch it alot. :thumbsup:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvjuG_jMF6I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JvjuG_jMF6I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Indo
05-06-2010, 12:38 PM
The same guy when he was SEVEN!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8cvKImVadE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8cvKImVadE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey, this is great and all talking about drummers (I know I haven't exactly helped either), but THIS thread is supposed to be about the GUITARIST.

You know, the single, "most important" person in the band.

Just ask any guitarist, and he'll tell ya. :chuckle:

Which reminds me of one of my favorite light bulb jokes....

How many guitarist does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one, but a hundred others to say they could have done it better. :laughing:

anyway... :hunch:

Indo
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
The Godsmack vid is Insane!
I've seen them twice, but they didn't use the double drum kit in either show

I love to see bands that highlight the percussion section! There's something about the sound of drums (especially "Tribal" drums) that just gets people going

The end is cool---YYZ(Rush) to Aerosmith to Zep to...

Yeah. I'll be watching this a lot, too!

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 12:59 PM

I love to see bands that highlight the percussion section! There's something about the sound of drums (especially "Tribal" drums) that just gets people going

FYI - Sully was a drummer for over 20 yrs before he started the band Godsmack.

SteelCityMom
05-06-2010, 01:01 PM
We might as well start including bassists into this discussion.

Sheehan
Entwistle
Pastorius
Phil Lesh
Geddy Lee

I'm only giving Flea and Claypool honorable mentions (though I LOVE them). Anybody can learn how to slap a bass though.

Sheehan is just SICK SICK SICK.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5omFFeLEXFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5omFFeLEXFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SteelCityMom
05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
BTW, Peter Criss is no slouch

Who remembers this from "ALIVE!"?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3iCfddqdA7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3iCfddqdA7s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Imagine if he wasn't drunk all the time!

Peter's one of my favorites...my brother made sure of that when I was younger.

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2010, 01:13 PM

you may enjoy this as well...:thumbsup:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8LWz7zrOEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8LWz7zrOEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Indo
05-06-2010, 01:15 PM
FYI - Sully was a drummer for over 20 yrs before he started the band Godsmack.

Just the kind of useless information that I love---(like Riley and Blues Boy) my brain is full of it!

Why is the Rush song called "YYZ"?

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
We might as well start including bassists into this discussion.

Sheehan
Entwistle
Pastorius
Phil Lesh
Geddy Lee

I'm only giving Flea and Claypool honorable mentions (though I LOVE them). Anybody can learn how to slap a bass though.

Sheehan is just SICK SICK SICK.

Steve Harris
Dave Ellefson
Cliff Burton
Robert Trujillo

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Why is the Rush song called "YYZ"?

I've heard it was the code for Toronto airport, and the songs arrangement has something to do with the letters YYZ in morse code.

Am I close?

MasterOfPuppets
05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
bassist

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Flea(Red Hot Chili Peppers)
John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
Geddy Lee (Rush)

Indo
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I've heard it was the code for Toronto airport, and the songs arrangement has something to do with the letters YYZ in morse code.

Am I close?

YES!

All airports have a three-letter code

Pittsburgh's is PIT
New Orleans' is MSY and
Toronto (where RUSH is from) is YYZ

each airport broadcasts its code in Morse Code and Peart, in all of his songwriting genius, made a song based on the Toronto code, YYZ

I see that your head is also full of Useless Information!

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I see that your head is also full of Useless Information!

HEY!

:chuckle:

too many years being a broke, college student playing trivia in a bar for beer money. :wink02:

vasteeler
05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
The same guy when he was SEVEN!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8cvKImVadE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8cvKImVadE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Are you kidding me SEVEN YEARS OLD . i will never play my drums again .
that was incredible :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

vasteeler
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
peter criss should not even be mentioned with the other drummers.his solos are painful to sit through

devilsdancefloor
05-06-2010, 05:31 PM
@mom - Danny Carey is very good. I put him in with the likes of Chad Sexton-311.

ok, my "best drummers" would be...

1. Buddy Rich

2. Bonzo

3. Peart

4. Copeland

5. McBrain

Some really great studio/instructional guys like:

Jojo Mayer
Steve Gadd
Dave Weckl
Tommy Igoe

at the moment, my favorite "live" drummer is Shannon Larkin - Godsmack

you have to include Mickey Hart in the drummer discussion

TheWarDen86
05-06-2010, 05:35 PM
bassist

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Flea(Red Hot Chili Peppers)
John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
Geddy Lee (Rush)

Dude from the Who was pretty bad ass too.

Does the bassist have to be alive? Because the obvious choice is Cliff.

SteelCityMom
05-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Dude from the Who was pretty bad ass too.

Does the bassist have to be alive? Because the obvious choice is Cliff.

Entwistle is from The Who...and yeah, he's pretty damn bad ass.

Between him, Billy Sheehan and Jaco Pastorius it's very hard for me to choose who's the best. No list is complete without those three on it though.

This Italian dude (Gianni Serino) is pretty sick as well. From what I understand he does private lessons and is a concert bassist. Puts Les Claypool and Flea to shame though in the slap bass department.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1QwgkrG0N4k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1QwgkrG0N4k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqVelOLYC5E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqVelOLYC5E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

ricardisimo
05-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Mingus
Jaco
Les Claypool

tony hipchest
05-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Puts Les Claypool and Flea to shame though in the slap bass department.

i cant read this thread and see this phrase w/o thinking of this-

mLi3dZ9IgKA

MACH1
05-06-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.s9.com/images/portraits/30214_Tiny-Tim.jpg

vasteeler
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Mingus
Jaco
Les Claypool

you beat me to jaco, that dude was badass
you also cant leave off victor wootin(sp)

Indo
05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Back to the Guitar

Someone (I think it was Ric) mentioned Paco de Lucia

For those of you that have never heard of him, watch these:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdE0-aiuZuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdE0-aiuZuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYkz30RL_GU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYkz30RL_GU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Clapton is at the top of my list,
But I wonder if He can do That

TheWarDen86
05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.s9.com/images/portraits/30214_Tiny-Tim.jpg

:rofl:

That jacket is classic. I wish I had one. :chuckle:

Mistah_Q
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Sad to have read the whole thread and not seen Laurence Juber mentioned once. He was the lead guitarist for Paul McCartney's Wings, and now does a lot of work with Al Stewart (remember "Year of the Cat"? Juber didn't play in that song, but... that guy.)

And even in his older age, he's still got it -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hxlu_jEd5A

GBMelBlount
05-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Sad to have read the whole thread and not seen Laurence Juber mentioned once. He was the lead guitarist for Paul McCartney's Wings, and now does a lot of work with Al Stewart (remember "Year of the Cat"? Juber didn't play in that song, but... that guy.)

And even in his older age, he's still got it -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hxlu_jEd5A

I had a few albums of theirs...Red Rose Speedway and Venus & Mars..

He also played a James Bond theme song (googled) .... very cool as I just finished watching a Bond movie about 20 minutes ago...

theplatypus
05-08-2010, 07:54 AM

R.I.P. SRV

Pretty sure that I've got a copy of this show.

ricardisimo
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Back to the Guitar

Thanks for those. Great stuff. I haven't listened to him in over a year now. Time to break out those tapes and LPs again.

silver & black
05-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Back to the Guitar

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdE0-aiuZuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdE0-aiuZuM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYkz30RL_GU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RYkz30RL_GU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Damn... that guy can play!

ricardisimo
05-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Check out my man D'Gary:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcKzjnew98Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcKzjnew98Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The Africans shall not to be overlooked, if I have anything to say about it.

Steeldude
05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
herman li of dragonforce