PDA

View Full Version : Bires: Ben's transgressions could cost Batch

mesaSteeler
05-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Bires: Ben's transgressions could cost Batch
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/may/05/bires-bens-transgressions-could-cost-batch.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Wednesday May 5, 2010 12:11 AM

PITTSBURGH — Lost in all the fallout from Ben Roethlisberger’s suspension is the fate of Charlie Batch.

It may be that because of Roethlisberger’s escapades that Batch may be out of a job in October.

Think about it.

When Roethlisberger returns from his suspension — whether it’s six games or if it’s reduced to four as expected — the Steelers could have four quarterbacks on their roster. That’s one too many.

So one will have to go.

And who might be the unlucky QB who’s told his services are no longer needed?

Even though there was speculation before the NFL Draft that Roethlisberger might be traded, he wasn’t. So he’s staying despite his seedy reputation.

If the season-opener were played today, Byron Leftwich would be the starter. He was a solid backup to Roethlisberger in 2008, and was acquired the moment the Steelers caught wind of the severity of Roethlisberger’s suspension.

Last weekend at minicamp, coach Mike Tomlin quickly put Leftwich in with the first-team offense. So it makes sense that Leftwich, 30, will be here for the long haul.

Running the second-team offense at minicamp was third-year pro Dennis Dixon.

He’s still a project, but the Steelers like his progress and potential. So he’s not going anywhere.

That means that Batch, who’s 35 and injury prone, will eventually have to go, even though the Steelers will have to incur the remainder of his 2010 contract.

On one hand, it would be sad to see Batch leave ... especially if it is because of Roethlisberger’s transgressions.
Advertisement Click here

Batch is such a high-character guy.

He does so much for the community, especially in the Homestead area where he was born and attended high school.

Batch oversees the Best of the Batch Foundation, which offers after-school programs and a basketball league for kids in disadvantaged communities.

On April 14 when Dan Rooney, the Steelers chairman emeritus and the U.S. ambassador to Ireland, received the AFL-CIO Citizen of the Year award, he refused comment regarding Roethlisberger. But Rooney did have high praise for Batch.

“I think players have to be special. I think we have a special man right here with Charlie, as far as what he does, what his foundation does for children in this community,” Rooney said. “I think that that’s the way they should be.”

Over the past six years, Roethlisberger and Batch have forged a close relationship.

But now, Roethlisberger may be the guy who ends Batch’s pro career.

A lot could happen between now and the Oct. 17 game against Cleveland, a game Roethlisberger may be allowed to play in.

Injuries happen, even in the preseason. Just ask Batch, who missed the entire 2004 and 2008 seasons due to injury.

But if all the Steeler quarterbacks stay healthy, that will eventually spell doom for one of them ... and it will likely be Charlie Batch who’ll be odd man out.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

stillers4me
05-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Ben is da debil.

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
if charlie wasn't a china doll , then maybe they wouldn't have had to pick up lefty... its his own faulty the steelers don't feel confident with him, not bens....sorry charlie...:wave:

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/2736/charly1g.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/charly1g.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

AllD
05-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I would bet that the Steelers cut Lefty over Batch if necessary because of his community involvement. Lefty also left to go to Tampa and Batch was offered more than Lefty to stay. Lefty can always have Sweed's slot.

MasterOfPuppets
05-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I would bet that the Steelers cut Lefty over Batch if necessary because of his community involvement. Lefty also left to go to Tampa and Batch was offered more than Lefty to stay. Lefty can always have Sweed's slot.
yep...they gave up a draft pick and signed him to a 2 yr contract just to cut him.. i guess having him workout with the first team O is to throw other teams off ? :chuckle:

wootawnee
05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I think its time for Charlie to hang up the cleats and grab the whistle.......Homeboy.......

fansince'76
05-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Can I have Bires' job?

I think Batch will be carried as insurance on the 3rd string until Ben's suspension is over, then he'll be released.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=817504#post817504

vindrow
05-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I wonder who will be the first to blame global warming and 9/11 on Ben.

BigBen'sSwagger
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
What a pathetic opinion from a pathetic media type. The saddest part of all is this guy gets paid to write garbage like this.

I am just waiting to hear how Ben is the reason the pirates can't field a good team.

Psyychoward86
05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
actually, he is kind of right. Not a lot of teams carry around 4 QB's on the roster. Mostly just the teams with an unsettled situation at QB. We are NOT unsettled. This suspension does not changes a lot for us, but it really doesnt change who "The Guy" under center is.

Everyone talks about how the starting job is going to be Leftwich or Dixon, but dont count out Batch yet.

Even if he is released, he damn well better come back to Pittsburgh as an assistant coach, or special assistant for player personnel just like Mean Joe Greene.

Hoping for the best :tt04:

polamalubeast
05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I am just waiting to hear how Ben is the reason the pirates can't field a good team.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Psyychoward86
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM

whoa whoa, hey now. That ones actually true :flap:

Fire Haley
05-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Think about this.

If Ben's brain damage didn't leave him with permanent beer-goggle eyes he wouldn't hold onto the ball so long.

steelwalls
05-05-2010, 11:26 PM
lol... good grief.

Yeah its all Ben's fault Batch is not ahead of the other 2 guys on the roster.

rick723
05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
I wonder who will be the first to blame global warming and 9/11 on Ben.

That would be Obamski, he will also say Bush was in on it too. OH and Bush tripled the debt just before he left

LambertLunatic
05-06-2010, 06:46 AM
It may be that because of Roethlisberger’s escapades that Batch may be out of a job in October.

That's assuming that Batch stays healthy until October.

SteelMember
05-06-2010, 08:59 AM
A couple...

A few...

but not a Batch.

solardave
05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Bires is FOS. Ben is not responsible for Charlie losing his job. I believe Leftwich would have been signed anyway.
If Ben got hurt in game one would his injury cause Charlie to lose his job. I'm not defending Ben. I'm just sayin'!
The fact is Charlie gets hurt thinking about playing and needs to coach!

SteelGhost
05-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Can I have Bires' job?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=817504#post817504

Hey FS, I'm sure you can do a lot better job tan Bires :thumbsup:

Kindjunior
05-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but dont they get a roster exemption from Bens suspension, allowing them to carry 4 qb's? And if they are on the roster at the start of the season , dont we have to pay all 4 anyway?

Prok
05-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Think about this.

If Ben's brain damage didn't leave him with permanent beer-goggle eyes he wouldn't hold onto the ball so long.

Ahhhhhhhhh, we have a winner.

:drink:

Tone's Toes
05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Batch should be kept around as a coach or something. Seems he's the guy Ben goes to on the sideline to talk over most things that happen during the game. He even went to Batch the year Batch was injured and spent the whole year on the sideline in street clothes..

Dino 6 Rings
05-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, um being over the hill and broken has nothing to do with him being behind a guy that can't make the team in Tampa Bay and a kid out of Oregon known for being a spread offense type QB.

Sure thing, its all Ben's fault....

Can't live with em...pass the beer nuts.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I like Batch a lot. He's a great guy and he's more of an extra coach than a backup QB.

However, he is not a good backup quarterback. He's more fragile than fine crystal. When Ben Roethlisberger went down with a concussion in the Chiefs game last season, Batch came in and was immediately hurt and missed the next few weeks.

It is not Ben's fault that Batch is the most injury prone backup QB in the National Football League. That's the reason that when Big Ben comes back from his suspension, Batch will be more than likely cut. If the coaching staff had the faith that Batch could stay healthy in relief of Big Ben for four to six games, they would have never traded for Lefty. Heck, they might have traded for Lefty even if Ben never got horny in a bar.

HometownGal
05-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Batch will be out of a job next season because he flat out stinks as a QB - even in a back up role. Great guy, great teammate and definitely staff material, but his days behind center are long behind him imho.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Batch will be out of a job next season because he flat out stinks as a QB - even in a back up role. Great guy, great teammate and definitely staff material, but his days behind center are long behind him imho.

Thats the truth. I cant help think the guy had the best job since Cliff Stoudt though......holding a clipboard, getting paid NFL QB money and collecting SB rings is a sweet gig.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Well, we can see how no matter what goes wrong this year, it will be Ben's fault.

Batch gets cut, bens fault.

Menendhal gets over used, Bens fault

Ward's mouth gets lock jawed, Ben's Fault

Holmes become a legalize marijuana grower after his next 1 year suspension, Yes sir, its Ben's fault.

Start 0-4, Bens fault

Start 4-0 Ben's fault.

Win's his 3rd superbowl with Ben as QB, yup its on Ben. Dam that guy.

SteelGhost
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM

I agree HTG, well said :thumbsup:

Curtain_of_Steel Re: Bires: Ben's transgressions could cost Batch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, we can see how no matter what goes wrong this year, it will be Ben's fault.

Holmes become a legalize marijuana grower after his next 1 year suspension, Yes sir, its Ben's fault.

Start 0-4, Bens fault

Start 4-0 Ben's fault.

...or ...Win their 3rd superbowl despite of Ben being the QB, yup its on Ben. Damn that guy :chuckle:

LVSteelersfan
05-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Have to agree with you on this one. I can't believe they ever let Batch throw an out route. That is a scary pick 6 waiting to happen. He has no arm strength any more. I don't think they ever should have signed him again in the first place. I certainly don't feel sorry for someone who has collected millions of dollars for playing less than half a dozen games over the past 4 or 5 years.

Prok
05-07-2010, 05:23 PM

Start 0-4, Bens fault

Start 4-0 Ben's fault.

LOL Nice post.

Ask any clowns fan if they'd love to have our "problems" ? Oh yeah, they'd all buy in.

Ask any clowns fan in private if they'd rather have our QB issues than theirs ?

They'd sell their soul.

:drink:

Galax Steeler
05-08-2010, 04:59 AM

I disagree the Steelers get paid to win superbowls. Batch and his community involvement will not get them a superbowl. I thank Batch for what he does but it is time for him to go.

markymarc
05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
This article made me laugh. Of course it's Ben's fault Charlie will be released once he comes back from his suspension. I would be willing to bet that even if Ben was not suspended the Steelers would have made an effort to bring back Lefty and then cut ties with Batch. Thanks for your services Charlie, but it's time to join the coaching ranks.

stillers4me
05-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Getting Byron back has been the blessing in disguise out of the whole mess.

SteelPride1207
05-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I like Batch alot...but the guy is the 4th best QB on the roster and therefore deserves to be labeled: MOST EXPENDABLE.

Prok
05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Getting Byron back has been the blessing in disguise out of the whole mess.

Agreed. As good a person as Batch allegedly is, he's not a very good QB at this point.

And let's face it. Our Steelers are about WINNING GAMES, as they should be.

Getting Lefty back gives us the experienced starter we need to hold the fort down until Ben returns. I tend to think we'll keep 4 QB's on the roster this year due to the Rooney's loyalty to Batch though. Unless we end up needing the roster spot to replace an injured player or something.

markymarc
05-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I like Batch alot...but the guy is the 4th best QB on the roster and therefore deserves to be labeled: MOST EXPENDABLE.

I agree, but of course it will give some fans something to talk about once Batch is cut when Ben returns. IMO it's time to see Charlie Batch as a QB coach.