PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think it was?

3 to be 4
02-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Steeler fans. You know better than I would. Bill Cowher did such a fantastic job turning this team around after the Bengal loss. They were a completely different team the next week vs the Bears. Did he give a speech? Did he change something up? What excatly happened do you think? this Steeler season is going to make a great book.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Steeler fans. You know better than I would. Bill Cowher did such a fantastic job turning this team around after the Bengal loss. They were a completely different team the next week vs the Bears. Did he give a speech? Did he change something up? What excatly happened do you think? this Steeler season is going to make a great book.

He told them to play or he was going to throw them under the BUS !!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 to be 4
02-07-2006, 10:24 PM
no seriously, has anything come out in the papers there about what Cowher did or said? or the players? it was like night and day.

tony hipchest
02-07-2006, 10:29 PM
no seriously, has anything come out in the papers there about what Cowher did or said? or the players? it was like night and day.actually there has and i will try to find a link. i saw an interview with several players talking about his speech cause they didnt neccessarily get it at firs but he kept referring it to them along their run.

he told them the story of christopher columbus. everyone thought the world was flat but columbus was sure it was round. no one but him believed. the theme was to not let history dictate the present or future and despite what everyone else thought he knew this was a sb team on the beginning of a long tuff journey. i think the story is in postgazette.com

Ambridge
02-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I heard an interview with Willie Parker today and he said the Steelers mindset really seemed to change after the Steelers lost to Cincinnati and the day after the game a "Very Pissed-Off" Bill Cowher distributed a sheet of paper to every player on the team then told them to go watch the game film and give themself a very honest grade/report on their game performances and then turn the sheets back..........Cowher then stormed out of the locker room.

tony hipchest
02-07-2006, 10:46 PM
heres the one i read:

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/06034/649277.stm

and some others:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/02/07/sogrid07.xml&sSheet=/sport/2006/02/07/ixsport.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/02/06/snap.judgments/

3 to be 4
02-08-2006, 05:07 AM
well, i have to say, ive been guilty of tweaking Cowher for a long time, and being a fan of a rival combined with some of the playoff performances helped drive that, but this season knocked some sense into me. Short of Belichick taking that ragtag bunch of football players he had in 2001 and winning a Super Bowl with it, I cant remember a more impressive coaching job. He probably DID have the creds to get into the Hall before, but this was his shining moment that cemented it big time. It puts him ahead of Shanahan too as Shanahan had Elway and Davis.
Bill Cowher, please accept my apologies. You are a great hall of fame coach (bowing ..bowing)

JustaFan
02-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Not to take anything away from Cowher & his assistant coaches, but alot of their late season success was that the team just started getting healty. Ben got healthy, Parker got healthy, Bettis got healty & the o-line got healty.

If that bengirls game was played two weeks later, the Steelers win, no dought, and are then probably the #2 or at worst the #3 seed instead of a #6.

Tim
02-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Personally, I think it was the mentality the team adopted. I know all the sports journalists out there were getting tired of the "It's us against the world" theme that all the Steelers kept going on about, but I really think it helped.

I think it kept them focused throughout the playoffs. Let's not kid ourselves, the Super Bowl, as a game, was pretty awful, our real Super Bowl was beating the Colts/Broncos in successive weeks on the road.

The coaches put together some great game plans and our guys were focused enough to execute them perfectly.

SalukiSteelers
02-08-2006, 08:54 AM
You know, I think that the smack that trash talking idiot Chad Johnson was running after the game was all the motivation the team needed.

melroseplace
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I think it was a combination of a lot of things that made our guys start playing the way they did. I certainly give Cowher a lot of credit for it tho

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
There was a meeting after the Bengal and Colt defeats. What was said in that meeting we will never know, but it worked to perfection. In my opinion I feel it was a combination of both the coaching staff and players getting together and getting on the same page and realizing what they had to do in order to compete for the Super Bowl.

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
There was a meeting after the Bengal and Colt defeats. What was said in that meeting we will never know, yes we will:

Steelers' voyage inspired by a longer one in 1492
Friday, February 03, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PONTIAC, Mich. -- Notre Dame players promised to win one for the Gipper, the most famous pep talk in football history. Now comes news leaked from Steelers players yesterday that coach Bill Cowher may have topped that one.

Like Knute Rockne's Gipper speech to the Irish, Cowher's talk has inspired the Steelers for the past seven games, even if many of them laugh about their coach's attempt to move them.

After all, winning one for Christopher Columbus is a tough sell.

The story never became public until now. It began the day after the Steelers lost to the Cincinnati Bengals Dec. 4 to tumble to 7-5. Cowher spoke to his team that Monday and delivered a pep talk and compared their seemingly impossible journey to the one Columbus faced in 1492 when he set off across the ocean blue.

"We were getting a pep talk and, out of nowhere, coach Cowher brought out that Christopher Columbus sailed here and nobody thought he could do it," defensive end Brett Keisel revealed, laughing. "It was hilarious. We were all just like, that's the first time I heard Christopher Columbus come up in a football pep talk."

the link to the rest of the story is on p. 1 of this thread. when i read this story last friday i had a really good feeling about the game.

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh that's right. I remember hearing Cowher talking about Christopher Columbus on KDKA news. Missed the full story though.

Thanks Tony.

clevestinks
02-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Ben got healthy for one, and we needed that, he came back early from surgery, to three really tough games, he needed to get one win to get rolling.

Marvell Smith getting healthy helped also. Getting Townsend back helped

4xSBChamps
02-08-2006, 04:15 PM
There is NO 'one-thing' that led to this team's Championship run:

* getting healthy was essential for the late-season surge

* keeping the faith, while many around them took a pass

*a healthy-balance of seasoned players, and youthful exuberance, with a 'kick-azz' attitude

* Coach Cowher finally getting/or 'instilling' attention-to-detail (no pre-Championship Game videos THIS year!)

* a "REFUSE-TO-LOSE"/"WILL-TO-WIN" attitude (woulda been easy to fold the tents early in Cincy and/or Indy after the non-interception/fumble return)

Ya can't BOTTLE it, ya can't BUY it, and ya' can't SELL it, either:
all you can do is WORK AT IT!!!!!
:nw:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Ben's beard was all we needed.