PDA

View Full Version : Steelers daily digest: McFadden could play crucial role in 2010

Galax Steeler
05-07-2010, 04:01 AM
PITTSBURGH - In 2009 the Steelers offensive unit set all kinds of records, yet the team failed to make the playoffs following its Super Bowl championship season, finishing 9-7.

The problem stemmed not from offense, but surprisingly the defensive side of the ball. Pittsburgh posted a turnover ratio that was -3, which ranked 25th in the league. To compare that to the Super Bowl season, the team boasted a +4 ratio.

Even worse was the fact the cornerbacks - Ike Taylor, William Gay, Deshea Townsend, Joe Burnett, and Keenan Lewis combined for just two interceptions, which ranked behind Cleveland and Detroit, two of the worst teams in the league.

Most thought the team would address that need in the draft, but instead of grooming a player who may or may not have been NFL ready, the team went back to the future and traded the 155th pick to Arizona for Bryant McFadden, who left the Steelers via free-agency in March of last year.

"You know what you are getting in September through December football," Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said of McFadden. "But you also know [that] this is a guy that can stand up and play winning football for you in January, which heís done for us in the past."

McFadden signed a two-year, $10 million deal to be the missing link with Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in Arizona, but struggled his only year with the Cardinals.

"I was accustomed to doing things a certain way, learning things a certain way, speaking the terminology a certain way." McFadden said. "Coming over to a new program and a new coordinator, it kind of hindered me at times because I always went back to the way that I was used to doing things before"

Although most call the Cardinals Pittsburgh West, McFadden offered a different view, especially when it came to the defensive scheme.

"Coach LeBeau is a veteran guy who has done a lot in this league. And thatís one guy that I wouldnít mind playing for and giving my all for,' McFadden said. "Not to take anything away from the coordinators out there in Arizona, but itís different. Itís a big difference. Itís like comparing Michael Jordan to Scottie Pippen or something like that."

Admittedly while he was shocked about the trade back to Pittsburgh, he is excited to be back with a team and system is is accustomed to.

"Being in the system for four years, the same system for four years, of course the comfort level is going to be there for me," McFadden said. "I thought the reunion happened 20 years down the line, but I guess we'll start a little earlier."

McFadden, who has signed a three year deal, has played 67 games during his career and has 205 total tackles, along with seven interceptions, and is expected to have an immediate impact for the team.

"Whatever the situation is, I'm coming to help and be consistent with the Steelers defensive back," McFadden said. " I expect to come in there and do what I have to with a lot of energy and being physical."

He is also the fourth former Steeler to return this off-season. The Steelers previously re-signed wide receiver Antwaan Randle El inside linebacker Larry Foote and quarterback Byron Leftwich, whom they got for a seventh round draft pick from Tampa and is now taking snaps with the first team while Ben Roethlisberger is under suspension.

"As a rookie he helped us beat Indianapolis in a playoff game, and go to the Super Bowl,'' secondary coach Ray Horton said. "We feel that, that was a huge pick up for a fifth round pick. Sometimes guys fit better in certain schemes. We understand what he is, and we are excited to have him back. "

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m5d7-Steelers-daily-digest-McFadden-could-play-crucial-role-in-2010

solardave
05-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Welcome back Mac.

Steelers>NFL
05-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Welcome back B-Mac!
He is a solid vet at a bargain price.

Men of Steel
05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
now allot of ppl are expecting B-MAC to play a whoooole lot better than willie g. that being said, he has allot to live up to. failure isnt acceptable around pittsburgh. and this guy needs to go big, or go home.

welcome back b-mac.
hope u help us kick offensive ass!!!!
:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Merchant
05-07-2010, 12:37 PM
LOLLL @ the Michael Jordan/Scottie Pippen comment. Ba-zing

Steelerfreak58
05-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Love the trade its money! We know exactly what he is capable of doing and did a great job while he was here with us. With Troy back playing and him in the corner the defense will once again prove to be the premier defense in the league.

revefsreleets
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Three things: 1) He's an upgrade over Gay, and that really can't be overstated, and 2) This creates even more competition, which can only increase the level of actual play at that spot, and, finally, 3) With a higher level of play, and Troy and Clark playing safety behind these CB's, it will elevate Ike's game, which suffered because they had to change schemes and responsibilities drastically last year to make up for Gay's shortcomings.

Prok
05-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Love the trade its money! We know exactly what he is capable of doing and did a great job while he was here with us. With Troy back playing and him in the corner the defense will once again prove to be the premier defense in the league.

He's a much better tackler than Gay as well.

Hopefully this trade puts an end to those GD frustrating 10 yard cushions our CB's give damn near every play. Get him up at the line and get them to PLAY PHYSICAL LeBeau !!

:tt:

Dino 6 Rings
05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
"Steelers daily digest: McFadden could play crucial role in 2010"

No Shiiiit!!!

Seriously.

solardave
05-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Hopefully this trade puts an end to those GD frustrating 10 yard cushions our CB's give damn near every play. Get him up at the line and get them to PLAY PHYSICAL LeBeau !!

:tt:He's a much better tackler than Gay as well.

Ask A. Peterson LOL.

Prok
05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
He's a much better tackler than Gay as well.

Ask A. Peterson LOL.

lol That did suck watching Gay get trucked.

Why on earth he didn't be the aggressor on that play will always baffle me. What DEFENDER squats and waits for a RB to get to him?? Sheesh just watch Troy or Clark tackle and LEARN, Willie.

:banging:

Psyychoward86
05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
"Not to take anything away from the coordinators out there in Arizona, but itís different. Itís a big difference. Itís like comparing Michael Jordan to Scottie Pippen or something like that."

LOL, in other words, this is a nicer way of giving Arizona a big middle finger :flipoff:

steelerdude15
05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I really hope that he does make an impact on our defense. He's a good player and is a help in our CB area. I also hope that Ike has a better year as well... They also need to make more interceptions coming up this season!

markymarc
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I was jumping up and down when they announced that we got back McFadden on the draft show. I welcome back McFadden with open arms and he WILL play a crucial role in our improved secondary play in 2010.