PDA

View Full Version : Texans' LB Cushing Suspended

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Texans LB Cushing violates NFL drug policy, suspended four games

NFL.com Wire Reports

The NFL announced Friday that Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing received a four-game suspension for violating its policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Cushing, the 2009 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, can practice with the team and play in preseason games. However, he will miss regular-season contests against the Indianapolis Colts (home), Washington Redskins (road), Dallas Cowboys (home) and Oakland Raiders (road). He'll be eligible to return for an Oct. 10 home game against the New York Giants.

Kevin Bentley is the backup at outside linebacker, but the Houston Chronicle reported that Zac Diles will move from the weak side to replace Cushing for four games. Xavier Adibi, a third-year veteran, or Darryl Sharpton, a fourth-round draft pick out of Miami, will take Diles' spot.

"We were disappointed to learn that Brian has been suspended for the first four games of the 2010 season," Texans general manager Rick Smith said in a statement released by the team. "Brian is a productive member of our team and this is a significant loss, but we have to be prepared to win without him."

Cushing was hounded by rumors of steroid use before he became a pro, but the Texans were undeterred and drafted him 15th overall last year. They said then that they found no truth to those rumors during their draft preparations, and Cushing strongly denied at the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine that he had used performance-enhancers.

"I don't understand where it is coming from," Cushing told NFL.com. "I was tested last December at USC and passed, one of several tests I have passed. I was tested this morning here at the combine and those results should be out in a couple of weeks to a month, I believe. I think people are trying to find something, anything, that would detract from what I have done on the field. You learn in life if it's not one thing, it's the other. I hope once I pass the test here that this will be put behind me. I'm really hoping for that."

Cushing had promoted a Friday night appearance on NFL Network's NFL Total Access on his Facebook page before posting the following message Friday afternoon: "Had to cancel NFL Network and all other interviews due to a family emergency. Heading to airport to fly back to NJ to be with the fam."

Cushing didn't provide any further details about the emergency. He's from New Jersey and had been in school in California this week.

Cushing posted 134 tackles, four sacks, four interceptions and two forced fumbles while helping Houston go 9-7 -- the first winning record in franchise history. He was a runaway winner over Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd in NFL Defensive Player of the Year balloting. However, Bills safety Donte Whitner suggested Friday on Twitter that the honor be stripped from Cushing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81802fd9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

steelerdude15
05-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Sucks for him... I wonder how Texans fans feel about it?

Fire Haley
05-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Juiced.

http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/77424/photos/PHOTO_3208627_77424_6971988_ap_320X240.jpg

Psyychoward86
05-07-2010, 10:30 PM
I wonder if he'll pull a Shawne Merriman and magically suck once he gets off the 'roids

XxKnightxX
05-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Hes had his suspiciouns as a juicer since his High School days hes one of the main reasons NJ schools implemented steroid and PED testing for Football. Hes been known to take crazy supplements back in his HS and USC days so that probably triggered the red flag on his test. Idk , sucks to be him, but join the Shawne Merriman and Rodney Harrison Club.

XxKnightxX
05-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Juiced.

http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/77424/photos/PHOTO_3208627_77424_6971988_ap_320X240.jpg

Yeah and He was Huge in HS and when he went to USC he shrunk to a shrimp size. Just like the used car salesman source. My equipment manager and OL coach were coaches at Bergen Catholic and they without a doubt knew that he took steroids. But dont take it from me but this incident kinda solidifies the suspicions.

silver & black
05-08-2010, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't doubt that upwards of 75% of all NFL players are on the juice.... most of them just don't get caught.

I really don't care if they are or they aren't... it's been going on since roids were introduced... it won't stop any time soon, no matter what the consequence for getting caught. Unless the penalty is a lifetime banishment from the NFL... that is the ony deterent that I can see working.

Fire Haley
05-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Welcome to the club

2005 Defensive ROY - Shawne Merriman - suspended in 2006.

Psyychoward86
05-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Welcome to the club

2005 Defensive ROY - Shawne Merriman - suspended in 2006.

I think they should strip players of titles like that if they're caught with something like steroids :noidea:

Steel-Bryan
05-08-2010, 02:57 PM
This dude went to my school. Everyone in BC loves him, wonder whats gunna happen monday.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Cheat the game, four game suspension.

Get a BJ in a bathroom, six game suspension that conditionally can be reduced to four games.

IMHO, the priorities of Goodell sucks.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Looks like he might get striped of his DRoY award.

AP revoting on defensive rookie, All-Pro after Cushing breaks policy

NFL.com Wire Reports

Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was voted NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year at the end of the 2009 season -- part of The Associated Press' annual awards honoring outstanding on-field performance. However, as a result of Cushing's violation of the NFL's performance-enhancing drug policy and his admission that he took a "nonsteroidal" banned substance, AP is taking a revote for defensive rookie and All-Pro outside linebacker honors.

Cushing received five All-Pro votes and made the second team. He's still among the nominees in the revote, and ballots are due by noon ET Wednesday.

"This is the first time we've encountered an issue like this," said Lou Ferrara, AP's managing editor for sports and entertainment. "Because these awards are based on on-field performance, we consider it necessary to review the matter and allow for a revote, especially after concerns were raised by many of our voters."

Cushing was a runaway winner for the defensive rookie award in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. He received 39 votes, easily beating Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd, who had six.

Texans owner Robert McNair said Monday he knew during the season that Cushing had "an issue" with the NFL, but he didn't have details from the league of what it concerned.

McNair criticized the suspension and appeal process because, he said, it doesn't provide enough information to the team.

"The club is left completely out of the loop on that," McNair said. "We're not even notified, it's the league and the player and the players' union. All we know is what's been announced at this point in time."

Cushing is suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2010 season, even though he said he took the substance in September, the first month of the 2009 schedule. He appealed the ban, and a final decision was handed down last week.

"Brian had mentioned that he had an issue there, but we don't know what any of the details are, we don't know what doctors he may have consulted with, we don't know what evidence that the league might have had ... which is a very bad position to be in because we're the guy that's got the investment in the player. The league doesn't have any money invested in the player, the union doesn't have any money invested in the player, and yet they get the information and we don't.

"So it's a sensitive area because it is sort of like medical information and there's confidentiality and this sort of thing. But I think it's something that needs to be addressed in the next collective bargaining agreement."

The NFL didn't immediately comment on McNair's statement.

Cushing will not be eligible for next season's Pro Bowl -- he made the AFC team last January but didn't play, citing several injuries -- or any NFL-sponsored awards such as Super Bowl MVP. He can participate in all training-camp and preseason activities, then must leave the Texans for the first four weeks of the season. Cushing can return Oct. 4.

A first-round draft pick out of USC, Cushing had 133 tackles for the Texans, who went 9-7, their first winning record. He also had four sacks, four interceptions and two forced fumbles -- numbers that normally belong to a seasoned veteran.

Cushing's case differs from San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, who won the 2005 defensive rookie award, then tested positive in the 2006 offseason for steroids contained in a supplement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8180cb8d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

RoethlisBURGHer
05-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I can't believe that he didn't get suspended during last season. He failed the test in September. WTF took so long?

Psyychoward86
05-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Looks like he might get striped of his DRoY award.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8180cb8d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I think they should strip players of titles like that if they're caught with something like steroids :noidea:

Oh i totally called it! :chuckle:

Who do you guys think will get DROY?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Jarius Byrd was runner up last season, so he is probably the front runner.

Fire Haley
05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Now we know

Report: Cushing's positive test was for 'hCG'

Suspended LB Brian Cushing's positive test last September was reportedly for abnormally elevated levels of "hCG" -- a non-steroidal substance produced naturally by the body.

The catch is, it's also a popular combo agent during anabolic steroid cycling, and the same thing Manny Ramirez was suspended for in 2009. When injected, hCG can restore testicular size (which is affected by steroids), in addition to produce testosterone.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37082678/sports/player_news

Dino 6 Rings
05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Just more proof that USC under Pete Carrol was a Dirty Freaking Program from TOP to Bottom!

Nadroj 20
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
It's official Cushing keeps his title

Fire Haley
05-12-2010, 02:44 PM
NEW YORK - Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing has won a revote and will keep The Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award he won in January.

yep - I guess the AP sportswriters keep their kickbacks

RoethlisBURGHer
05-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Now we know

Report: Cushing's positive test was for 'hCG'

Suspended LB Brian Cushing's positive test last September was reportedly for abnormally elevated levels of "hCG" -- a non-steroidal substance produced naturally by the body.

The catch is, it's also a popular combo agent during anabolic steroid cycling, and the same thing Manny Ramirez was suspended for in 2009. When injected, hCG can restore testicular size (which is affected by steroids), in addition to produce testosterone.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37082678/sports/player_news

The reason that it's banned in the NFL is because it can mask the use of steroids. There is a certain natural level of it in the male body. Also the only way it can be detected in urine is if it was actually being taken by the user. Why would a male take a female fertility drug? He wouldn't unless he wants to hide something.

I don't care what he says, he is never going to admit to taking steroids. He was on them, plain and simple.

Fire Haley
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Any bets that he comes back next year as a 215 lb safety?