PDA

View Full Version : The stand-up guys

mesaSteeler
05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
Friday, May 07, 2010
The stand-up guys
F. Dale Lolley, the Observer-Reporter's veteran Steelers beat reporter, provides an inside view for Pittsburgh and the rest of the National Football League.

With all of the scrutiny surrounding the Steelers this offseason for the off-field exploits of a few members of the team, the unfortunate thing is that the other 50-plus players are also being drug through the mud.

With that in mind, here are just a few – remember, this is just a few – of the great guys in what is actually a very good locker room:

Troy Polamalu: It should surprise nobody that Polamalu is a gentleman off the field. Polamalu is somebody you'd want to sit down and have dinner with and talk about anything but football. Troy and his wife, Theodora, are very involved with The Pittsburgh Foundation.

James Farrior: He sometimes jokingly plays bad-guy with the media, but Potsy is always available win or lose. The other players look up to him and he's always thoughtful with his answers. Has his own charity, the James Farrior Foundation, which is involved in a number of fundraisers.

Max Starks: Always available in good times and bad - actually most of the offensive linemen are - Starks has probably had a little more adversity than some of the other guys on the front line. But he's never run from it. Big charity, a fund to promote childhood literacy and education at The Pittsburgh Foundation.

Ryan Clark: Obviously, helping those who deal with the sickle cell trait is near and dear to Clark's heart. He's active in charity work with that. He's also a standup guy.

Chris Hoke: Calls everybody 'bro' and never has a bad word to say about anything or anyone. His pre-practice dance routine is legendary among his teammates. (Anyone have a video link for this dance? - mesa)

Brett Keisel: Everybody loves Keisel and the guy whose locker is right beside Keisel, our next nice guy. . .

Heath Miller: It's weird that Miller's roommate at training camp and on the road has always been Roethlisberger. You'd be hard-pressed to find two guys with two more different personalities.

Charlie Batch/Byron Leftwich: I'm putting these two guys together because the reality is that they're practically the same guy when it comes to handling off-field stuff. Both very professional and well-liked by their teammates. A couple of class acts.

posted by Dale Lolley at 6:01 PM 7 Comments Links to this post

Psyychoward86
05-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Chris Hoke: Calls everybody 'bro' and never has a bad word to say about anything or anyone. His pre-practice dance routine is legendary among his teammates.

Omg, i really want to see that

wootawnee
05-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Omg, i really want to see that

LoL....I went to the Oakland Game in 07(horrible game for Ben)..And I could not beleive how high Hoke can jump......During a comercial timeout while everyone is standing around at the line, there was Hokey, jumping up and down like a dude on a trampoline.........That kick returner we had in 08 did that and I hated it, but when Hokey does it, its kinda funny/cool/awkward/neat......

my 2 Cents....

steelerdude15
05-08-2010, 12:19 AM
This is a really nice article, thanks for the read mesa. :thumbsup: Of course, this won't make it to the big news people... only negative news sells. :banging:

Galax Steeler
05-08-2010, 04:11 AM
It goes to show you that we have alot of guys that contribute alot of there time to help others.

stillers4me
05-08-2010, 05:35 AM
The problem with the article is that if you add Ben to the list, with his Make a Wish and Ronald McDonald connections, and The Ben Roetholisberger Foundation's donations to police departments and canine units across the country...well, hey ! He's a pretty stand up kind of guy, too!

But nobody is saying anything about all that stuff, are they?

solardave
05-08-2010, 06:01 AM
The problem with the article is that if you add Ben to the list, with his Make a Wish and Ronald McDonald connections, and The Ben Roetholisberger Foundation's donations to police departments and canine units across the country...well, hey ! He's a pretty stand up kind of guy, too!

But nobody is saying anything about all that stuff, are they?

We know Ben does good stuff. It's just that you don't see Potsy or Troy or any of these other guys out whorin' around. Stupid is as stupid does.

StainlessStill
05-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Hoke came to my local High School for that Steelers basketball game for charity. Hokie made it more than twice and each time he was nicer than the last... possibly the nicest guy I've ever met. True people's person who will give you the last 20 dollars in his wallet if you asked him and he wouldn't even ask you why you needed it. A great all around, genuine dude.

AllD
05-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Those guys don't go bar hopping and cruise for drunk chicks.

siss
05-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Isn't Bens nest friend on the team Brett Keisel?

zulater
05-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Isn't Bens best friend on the team Brett Keisel?

Ben is reportedly close to both Keisel and Heath Miller. Usually high character guys wont associate much with a guy who's a total dick.:noidea:

Leads me to believe Ben isn't nearly the bad actor the media would have us believe.

siss
05-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Ben is reportedly close to both Keisel and Heath Miller. Usually high character guys wont associate much with a guy who's a total dick.:noidea:

Leads me to believe Ben isn't nearly the bad actor the media would have us believe.

He also is close to the O-line and Charlie Batch. I really think a lot of this stuff about him not being a good teammate was from early in his career.

Prok
05-08-2010, 11:26 AM

I can't recall one instance where Ben has even shown a hint of bad temper with the media. Seems every interview i've watched he ALWAYS held himself accountable and never once even hinted at a teammate being to blame.

Remember the "protection issues" with Peyton Manning a few years ago? Ben hasn't even come close to saying anything like that. Not once.

I don't buy this bad guy BS one bit. He's human just like the rest of us for sure. But he's NOT a locker room cancer.

siss
05-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I can't recall one instance where Ben has even shown a hint of bad temper with the media. Seems every interview i've watched he ALWAYS held himself accountable and never once even hinted at a teammate being to blame.

Remember the "protection issues" with Peyton Manning a few years ago? Ben hasn't even come close to saying anything like that. Not once.

I don't buy this bad guy BS one bit. He's human just like the rest of us for sure. But he's NOT a locker room cancer.

I have friends that go to camp every year and they always talk about how Ben is joking around with everyone and how he seems at ease with everyone. I call BS on that stuff.

Prok
05-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I have friends that go to camp every year and they always talk about how Ben is joking around with everyone and how he seems at ease with everyone. I call BS on that stuff.

I went to camp a couple times last year and came away thinking the same. I think since Ben doesn't believe in giving the media ammo that they drum up ammo on their own at times maybe.

:noidea:

O Sensei
05-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Whats alarming to me personally is that in every personal interaction I've had with the guy...Ben, he has come across as very down to earth, having a good sense of humour and willing to take a joke. It seems directly at odds with much of what is being reported. I see a confidant, fun loving, generous young man on the occasions where he has come into my business.

stillers4me
05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Whats alarming to me personally is that in every personal interaction I've had with the guy...Ben, he has come across as very down to earth, having a good sense of humour and willing to take a joke. It seems directly at odds with much of what is being reported. I see a confidant, fun loving, generous young man on the occasions where he has come into my business.

I've only seen him at camp and in interviews on TV and he always comes across as articulate, intelligent and humble. He always shoulders the blame, even when it was obvious it wasn't. And then there's the injury myth.....he never talks about his aches and pains, it's the media that always brings it up. Once when asked, instead of talking about his own injuries, he stated that all the the guys in the locker room have injuries of one sort of the other and that he'd be fine. I watch the media ask players and QB's on other teams about their injuries and when they talk about them they don't get called drama queens, only Ben. It seems like the media had it out for Ben from the beginning....even after bringing home two trophies, he can't do anything right. Maybe when they dig into his head, they'll discover this is what drove him over the edge. :chuckle:

siss
05-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Stupidity by reason of the media...that might be a new one.

solardave
05-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Those guys don't go bar hopping and cruise for drunk chicks.

Amen. Dermonti still lives near UK (the best player ever to come out of U.of K.) in Nicholasville,Kenntucky. He came to my Grandson's school and autographed his Steeler hat. He is one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. He does that kind of stuff all the time.

markymarc
05-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Unfortunately the media have nothing better to do at this time.

steelerchad
05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
Friday, May 07, 2010
The stand-up guys
F. Dale Lolley, the Observer-Reporter's veteran Steelers beat reporter, provides an inside view for Pittsburgh and the rest of the National Football League.

With all of the scrutiny surrounding the Steelers this offseason for the off-field exploits of a few members of the team, the unfortunate thing is that the other 50-plus players are also being drug through the mud.

With that in mind, here are just a few remember, this is just a few of the great guys in what is actually a very good locker room:

Troy Polamalu: It should surprise nobody that Polamalu is a gentleman off the field. Polamalu is somebody you'd want to sit down and have dinner with and talk about anything but football. Troy and his wife, Theodora, are very involved with The Pittsburgh Foundation.

James Farrior: He sometimes jokingly plays bad-guy with the media, but Potsy is always available win or lose. The other players look up to him and he's always thoughtful with his answers. Has his own charity, the James Farrior Foundation, which is involved in a number of fundraisers.

Max Starks: Always available in good times and bad - actually most of the offensive linemen are - Starks has probably had a little more adversity than some of the other guys on the front line. But he's never run from it. Big charity, a fund to promote childhood literacy and education at The Pittsburgh Foundation.

Ryan Clark: Obviously, helping those who deal with the sickle cell trait is near and dear to Clark's heart. He's active in charity work with that. He's also a standup guy.

Chris Hoke: Calls everybody 'bro' and never has a bad word to say about anything or anyone. His pre-practice dance routine is legendary among his teammates. (Anyone have a video link for this dance? - mesa)

Brett Keisel: Everybody loves Keisel and the guy whose locker is right beside Keisel, our next nice guy. . .

Heath Miller: It's weird that Miller's roommate at training camp and on the road has always been Roethlisberger. You'd be hard-pressed to find two guys with two more different personalities.

Charlie Batch/Byron Leftwich: I'm putting these two guys together because the reality is that they're practically the same guy when it comes to handling off-field stuff. Both very professional and well-liked by their teammates. A couple of class acts.

posted by Dale Lolley at 6:01 PM 7 Comments Links to this post

Farrior's fundraser is this weekend in Richmond, VA. I'll be taking my kids there. He usually has a good turnout from his Steeler teammates. I haven't seen a complete list, but Bettis, Heath, and Fast Willie are suppossed to be there. I believe Hines was there last year.

Indo
05-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Let's not forget Aaron Smith as one of the Stand-up guys...

Since his son was diagnosed, he does a lot of work with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

And I agree with everything above about Ben---the media has created this public perception of him that is simply not accurate