PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: A look around the negotiating table

polamalubeast
05-09-2010, 12:24 AM
On the Steelers: A look around the negotiating table at who is being served and who isn't
Sunday, May 09, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-GazetteLimas Sweed at work last weekend in No. 80.All seems quiet on the contract front with the Steelers, except with kicker Jeff Reed. There is nothing doing with other players such as LaMarr Woodley, Ike Taylor and Willie Colon.

Those three could become unrestricted free agents in March. Taylor will, unless he signs a new contract. Woodley and Colon might, depending on whether there is a new collective bargaining agreement.

Reed's agent met with Steelers executives Kevin Colbert and Omar Khan in Pittsburgh Tuesday and believes the team wants to negotiate a multiyear contract before July 15. As the franchise player, Reed must sign a new deal by July 15 or his one-year tender of $2.814 million will take effect.

"We had a good conversation," agent Don Henderson said. "We're working on it."

Henderson said both sides want to get a longer deal done and thinks it will happen.

There is nothing, CBA or otherwise, stopping the Steelers from negotiating a contract extension with their coach, it just does not seem to be occurring. The Steelers always extended Bill Cowher's contract when he had two years left on it except in 2006, and the coach resigned after that season.

Mike Tomlin has said he will not talk about his contract and his agent has not responded to messages or emails on the matter. The Steelers employ the same policy with their coach as with their players -- they will negotiate up to the start of the season but not after that.

Few starting jobs will be at stake in training camp
For all the problems the Steelers had last season when they collapsed to go 9-7, there will be little competition for starting jobs in training camp: Left cornerback, right guard and maybe inside linebacker. And quarterback, of course, for the first four games.

Injuries could change that, and there will be many more battles going on behind the starters. At left cornerback, it appears it will come down to Bryant McFadden or Keenan Lewis. At right guard, Maurkice Pouncey, Trai Essex and Ramon Foster. At inside linebacker, two seats for James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote.

Foote always seemed to be the ideal mack linebacker who stays closer to the line of scrimmage than the buck that is James Farrior. Timmons is the one who seems more suited to back up Farrior. But that is not the case, apparently. If Farrior is replaced, it would be with Foote.

Sweed made the call, and it was wrong number ...
Limas Sweed's Achilles injury that likely will cost him the 2010 season is the latest jinx to befall those Steelers who wore the No. 80. As part of his fresh start following two difficult seasons after the Steelers drafted him in the second round, Sweed turned in his old No. 14 for No. 80 this spring.

Perhaps, it was not such a good idea. The previous two No. 80s became infamous. The Steelers released Cedric Wilson after he was accused of hitting his girlfriend. Plaxico Burress is in jail after shooting himself in the leg.

Another who wore No. 80 was known for the same thing that dogged Sweed, dropped passes. Jahine Arnold was a fourth-round draft pick from Fresno State in 1996, dubbed "JaClang" for the sound footballs made bouncing off his hands.

Then there was Mark Stock, who wore No. 80 in 1989. He dropped a pass in a playoff game from Bubby Brister near midfield as the Steelers were mounting a last-minute drive against Denver, down by one. Had he caught that pass, they might have pulled it off because they had sure-footed Gary Anderson ready to kick. He kicked a 50- yard field goal in overtime to beat Houston in their first playoff game that season, and his range was longer in the thin Denver air. Had Stock caught that pass, the Steelers might have beaten John Elway to go on to the AFC championship game in Cleveland.

Sweed should have done more research before switching to it. Jack Butler, however, wore that number proudly with the Steelers from 1951-59 and should be in the Hall of Fame. But Butler's career ended with a terrible leg injury on the field that nearly cost him his life.

If Sweed overcomes this latest setback, he should look into switching jersey numbers again.

There is a silver (and gold) lining
Something good will come out of Ben Roethlisberger's suspension. He will help retired football players, kids, education and medical research with what could be more than $3 million in fines (lost salary) if he misses six games (seven weeks) because of commissioner Roger Goodell's suspension.

According to the NFL, player fines collected by the league have been used to support retired player programs, including the NFL Player Care Foundation and NFLPA Players Assistance Trust; disaster relief initiatives; and other charities supporting youth, education and sports-related medical research.

Roethlisberger was not the only one fined for his misdeeds. The NFL also fined the Steelers $200,000 because their quarterback misbehaved. And that money will go to good use as well. The money lost when clubs are fined because one of their players was suspended helps fund programs dealing with the league's drug policy, steroids, and NFL player-development programs.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10129/1056769-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0nP2zsdwY

MexicanSteel
05-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I love Reed acuracy , but I want a kicker that can make a touchback every once in a while. Please

pete74
05-09-2010, 06:04 AM
i cant belive the league fined the steelers $200,000 because of what ben did in the offseason. thats just insane in my mind. there not his babysitter

HometownGal
05-09-2010, 06:24 AM
i cant belive the league fined the steelers $200,000 because of what ben did in the offseason. thats just insane in my mind. there not his babysitter

I agree - what a crock of :bs: :mad:

I hope they can get Reed signed to a long term contract. :hope: I also hope they can come to terms with both Woodley and Taylor who are both key pieces of our D. C'mon FO - get 'r done!

solardave
05-09-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm surprised Goodell didn't fine Ben's parents for not raising him right. COS is right.

Galax Steeler
05-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Then there was Mark Stock, who wore No. 80 in 1989. He dropped a pass in a playoff game from Bubby Brister near midfield as the Steelers were mounting a last-minute drive against Denver,

I remember that what a way to loose a game we should have beat Elway in that game.

There is a silver (and gold) lining
Something good will come out of Ben Roethlisberger's suspension. He will help retired football players, kids, education and medical research with what could be more than $3 million in fines (lost salary) if he misses six games (seven weeks) because of commissioner Roger Goodell's suspension.

Exactly because of Roger Goodell what a jerk.:mad:

AllD
05-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Woodley and Tomlin are the two biggest unsigned needs. Reed is a great FG kicker, but one dimensional on KOs bordering on Roy Gerela territory.

Woodley will most likely get a one year contract because of restrictions under the existing system. We can start sweating after that. Who knows what is going on between Tomlin and the Rooneys. It would be a mistake on both sides if he were not renewed at a reasonable salary.

steelerdave1969
05-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I love Reed acuracy , but I want a kicker that can make a touchback every once in a while. Please

I think that I would rather have the accuracy on FG's and that is not easy at Heinz Field. With better special teams play they can make up for the short kickoffs of Reed's

MasterOfPuppets
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Woodley and Tomlin are the two biggest unsigned needs. Reed is a great FG kicker, but one dimensional on KOs bordering on Roy Gerela territory.

Woodley will most likely get a one year contract because of restrictions under the existing system. We can start sweating after that. Who knows what is going on between Tomlin and the Rooneys. It would be a mistake on both sides if he were not renewed at a reasonable salary.

i thought with no CBA in place, a player had to have 6 seasons in before becoming a UFA...:noidea:

Free agency changes in 2010

In 2010, unless the CBA is extended, the rules will change so that players don't become "Unrestricted Free Agents" until they have at least six years of experience. They will be "Restricted Free Agents" if they have three–five years of experience. There will also be limitations imposed on which clubs are allowed to sign free agents. This is part of a set of rule changes written into the CBA designed to encourage the owners and the NFLPA to negotiate a new CBA: the players lose some free agency rights, and the owners lose the salary cap.[19]

so isn't woodley a RFA for 2 more years after this season ??

MexicanSteel
05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I think that I would rather have the accuracy on FG's and that is not easy at Heinz Field. With better special teams play they can make up for the short kickoffs of Reed's

:iagree: I know its hard to made tha FGs in heinz field but do you know if sepulveda can made the kickoffs ??

:tt03::tt03::tt03:

AllD
05-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Woodley's salary can only be increased 30% or something like that by rule. He was making under $500k per season and he deserved an annual multi-million $ contract.

steelreserve
05-09-2010, 08:10 PM

I agree - what a crock of :bs: :mad:

The only reason why the team got fined is because if one of your players gets suspended without pay, instead of keeping all the cash that you're now not paying him, you have to give a quarter of it back to the league. Nobody "decided" to fine the Steelers or set the amount at $200,000 by making a personal decision Just a mathematical formula based on a league accounting rule that's been there for several years, basically. Nothing sinister going on, no OMG Goodell is out to screw the Steelers again. Just a standard rule that would apply to any team who has a player get suspended.

Part of the fine was also for Holmes' four-game drug suspension, by the way.

steelreserve
05-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Woodley's salary can only be increased 30% or something like that by rule. He was making under $500k per season and he deserved an annual multi-million $ contract.

I really don't see why we don't get a multi-year contract negotiated for him at a few million a year, then "release" him before training camp -- and what do you know, 30 seconds later he turns around and re-signs with us. The rule only applies to re-signing your own players who were under contract. If he's not under contract, even if it's for a few minutes, the way I see it, we can give him whatever we want.

ricksteelers55
05-09-2010, 09:00 PM

And maybe we should consider replacing Sepulveda by a Punter who can do Kickoffs ??? I mean we spent a high 4th round pick on him,he's not a bad punter but just doesnt live up to his draft value IMO

I say if we can find a decent punter with skills for kickoffs I say go for it.

Heck we won the SB with Mitch Berger,I dont think it can be worse....oh yeah forgot PAUL ERNSTER !!!!

Psyychoward86
05-09-2010, 11:25 PM
when did they implement this 30% rule? Just this year because of the uncapped year right?

Steely McSmash
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I really don't see why we don't get a multi-year contract negotiated for him at a few million a year, then "release" him before training camp -- and what do you know, 30 seconds later he turns around and re-signs with us. The rule only applies to re-signing your own players who were under contract. If he's not under contract, even if it's for a few minutes, the way I see it, we can give him whatever we want.

If you release him he'd have to clear waivers before you could re-sign him.

Steelers>NFL
05-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Ben could start his good deed of turning his life around by donating $200,000.00 of
his money back to the Steelers.

BigBen'sSwagger
05-10-2010, 02:13 PM
On the Santonio fine thing.

Why would they penalize the team that got rid of the player instead of the one who picked up the troubled player. I figure the fine is to keep teams from trying to hold onto players who have bad reps. but what do I know.

markymarc
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
While it may be more difficult to resign Woodley without a new CBA, I really hope they can resign him along with Reed, Taylor and get deals done for Colbert and Tomlin.

Now get it done Omar and the Rooneys :tt02: