PDA

View Full Version : If Marino had played with the steelers ...

polamalubeast
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
In your opinion, how the steelers have won SB between 1983 to 1999?

Prok
05-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Then the holier than thou crowd would have run him out of town for some reason or other. Bubby would have been most popular Steeler (for a bit).

:chuckle:

Godfather
05-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Well, let's see.

1984: Marino beat us head to head in the AFCCG. If he's in black and gold we at least make the Super Bowl.

1987: We missed the playoffs by one game after Mark Malone threw one TD and eleven interceptions down the stretch. Probably don't win a Lombardi but we make the playoffs for sure and anything can happen.

1992: Instead of a first year starter with no playoff experience we have a seasoned veteran at QB. That means no pick-six in the red zone against the Bills, we probably end up in the Super Bowl.

1994 and 1995: We don't come up just short in 1994 or throw two picks in 1995.

1997: Marino doesn't throw two picks in the last five minutes against Denver.

Now, even with Marino a couple of those teams find a way to lose. That's what happens in football...but I'll say he wins at least two.

BlastFurnace
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I think an equally interesting question is what if we didn't make that 1990 trade with Dallas and we stay at 17 and draft Emmitt Smith.

Merchant
05-09-2010, 08:11 PM
He wasn't meant for the Steelers. The offnese would've transformed into an aerial circus. That's not who we are.

fansince'76
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
At LEAST two. IMO, we beat Dallas in SB XXX because we had their D sucking wind and on the ropes late in the game when O'Donnell threw the final backbreaking INT, and instead of Terrell Davis running the ball down the Packers' throats in SB XXXII, it would have been the Bus in his prime doing it. And we'd be working on Lombardi #9 or 10 as opposed to #7 right now.

Steeldude
05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I think an equally interesting question is what if we didn't make that 1990 trade with Dallas and we stay at 17 and draft Emmitt Smith.

IMO, dallas' O-line and their O-line coach(i always forget his name) made smith.

Psyychoward86
05-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I said 2 just because of how dam good Cowher's units were in the 90's other than the QB situation and sometimes the special teams. I think Super bowl XXX is ours for the taking if Marino was on our squad, and at least one other...

72gator
05-10-2010, 12:36 AM
The rumor was that Marino was on drugs, supposedly started by PSU students:noidea: That is why we passed on him. Any old guys remember that? He really would have looked good in the black and gold.

Galax Steeler
05-10-2010, 04:26 AM
I think hind sight is 20/20 there is alot of what ifs in the world. We could have won 5 super bowls with him or we could have won none we will never know.

Steelerfreak58
05-10-2010, 04:28 AM
The thought of this makes me want to cry every time I think about how the 80s and 90s would have went with Dan at the helm. Serious wtf was the FO thinking passing up on a hometown boy with an arm stronger then anything anyone had seen in a long time? Damn I need tissue now.:wink02::wink02:

zulater
05-10-2010, 07:07 AM
The rumor was that Marino was on drugs, supposedly started by PSU students:noidea: That is why we passed on him. Any old guys remember that? He really would have looked good in the black and gold.

Marino may have experimented with cocaine in college, it was pretty common back then. It shouldn't have stopped the Steelers from drafting him.There was more than one Steelers on the roster back then that had used it. I think the biggest problem Marino had was the change in coaching at Pitt from his Junior to Senior season. Foge Fazio was good guy but a lousy head coach.

GoSlash27
05-10-2010, 07:24 AM
I think it's weird that so many fans are convinced that all it takes to win SBs is a franchise QB and an otherwise unremarkable team. :noidea:

The XXX fiasco was a blown timing route. Maybe Marino would've made the same throws, maybe not.

LambertLunatic
05-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Serious wtf was the FO thinking passing up on a hometown boy with an arm stronger then anything anyone had seen in a long time? Damn I need tissue now.:wink02::wink02:

As I recall, Marino was widely considered to be the best player in college heading into his senior season, but his senior season was much less impressive than his jr year. He was considered to be a risky pick at a position that we thought was going to be filled by Bradshaw for a few more years. Bradshaw was backed up by Stoudt (who actually looked good when he played during Brad's injuries) and a guy we drafted in the 1st round a few years earlier (Malone).

In hindsight, Marino wouldv'e been the best pick for us, but Chuck Knoll forgot to bring his crystal ball to the draft.

Others said that we'd have won super Bowls in '87, '92, '94, and '97 with Marino, but what if we'd have won 1 more game in '86 because of Marino? We'd have never been able to draft Rod Woodson, who was more valuable to the team than Marino would've been.

We must also remember than in Miami, Marino had Claton and Duper to throw to, whereas in Pgh, he'd have been throwing to Dwight Stone and Charles Lockett. He might not have done quite as well here.

solardave
05-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Well, let's see.

1984: Marino beat us head to head in the AFCCG. If he's in black and gold we at least make the Super Bowl.

1987: We missed the playoffs by one game after Mark Malone threw one TD and eleven interceptions down the stretch. Probably don't win a Lombardi but we make the playoffs for sure and anything can happen.

1992: Instead of a first year starter with no playoff experience we have a seasoned veteran at QB. That means no pick-six in the red zone against the Bills, we probably end up in the Super Bowl.

Now, even with Marino a couple of those teams find a way to lose. That's what happens in football...but I'll say he wins at least two.
I agree here. I also think the 95 SB against Dallas we would have won because he isn't bought by JJ.

HometownGal
05-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Then the holier than thou crowd would have run him out of town for some reason or other. Bubby would have been most popular Steeler (for a bit).

:chuckle:

Sad but true. Steelers fans have historically been very hard on their QB's. :shake02:

Bubby was my most "popular" Steeler for a while. :wink:

I took a wild guess and said two. One player does not a team make and we were pretty much a running team during that time. I do think we would have had a more balanced and reliable offensive attack with Dan behind center though.

WeegiesWarriors
05-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Those NFC teams were pretty tough during most of Marino's career. Let's just say he wasn't the missing piece to the puzzle during the hazy 80's. I don't know if plugging Marino into the existing lineup would have made much of a difference until Cowher came in and breathed new life into the defense.

I might buy the argument that a couple of teams in the 90s had a chance, but who's to say that by then Marino (a hot head to begin with) wouldn't have forced his way out of Noll's trapping and run first offense?.. which by then had become archaic. Marino wouldn't have had those passing record years early on because Noll wouldn't have thrown it. Having a formula that had won 4 Super Bowls in the 70's Noll insisted upon sticking with it during the 80's. It wasn't until late 80's with Brister they even tried a shotgun formation. No hot shot rookie from the local university would have changed Noll's views.

Noll liked his QB's to have big arms. Bradshaw's gun is one of the strongest of all time and even Mark Malone had a rocket (problem with him is he'd miss the ocean standing on the beach). That was a knock on Marino coming out of college that he obviously proved wrong. That and the other allegations.

stlrtruck
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I went with 2.

With the other weapons we had on those other teams, Marino could have easily brought home two more, and I believe we definitely wouldn't have lost 95 to Dallas!

wootawnee
05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Those NFC teams were pretty tough during most of Marino's career. Let's just say he wasn't the missing piece to the puzzle during the hazy 80's. I don't know if plugging Marino into the existing lineup would have made much of a difference until Cowher came in and breathed new life into the defense.

I might buy the argument that a couple of teams in the 90s had a chance, but who's to say that by then Marino (a hot head to begin with) wouldn't have forced his way out of Noll's trapping and run first offense?.. which by then had become archaic. Marino wouldn't have had those passing record years early on because Noll wouldn't have thrown it. Having a formula that had won 4 Super Bowls in the 70's Noll insisted upon sticking with it during the 80's. It wasn't until late 80's with Brister they even tried a shotgun formation. No hot shot rookie from the local university would have changed Noll's views.

Noll liked his QB's to have big arms. Bradshaw's gun is one of the strongest of all time and even Mark Malone had a rocket (problem with him is he'd miss the ocean standing on the beach). That was a knock on Marino coming out of college that he obviously proved wrong. That and the other allegations.

You would have stuck with it to if you had the qb's he did........

tony hipchest
05-10-2010, 11:10 PM
i'll say 4-5. when marino retired, there was thaoughts that he may play for the steelers or vikings in 2001.

if we hadnt dumped unitas, and if we had drafted marino, we would be the NY yankees or boston celtics of football. it would be unfair.

those are 2 simple mistakes that coulda meant the worls as far as legacy is concerned.

good thing is the steelers are still the best with 6.

Spidey
05-11-2010, 05:09 PM
The XXX fiasco was a blown timing route. Maybe Marino would've made the same throws, maybe not.

when the chips are down, timing routes blow, if your a great qb, in the biggest game of your life, take responsibility, the reciever breaks, see it, drill the sucker in there, . . . don't throw the ball 10 yards away from the receiver where you think he should be!

I'll never forgive O'Dummell! EVER!:banging:

Chidi29
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
i'll say 4-5. when marino retired, there was thaoughts that he may play for the steelers or vikings in 2001.

if we hadnt dumped unitas, and if we had drafted marino, we would be the NY yankees or boston celtics of football. it would be unfair.

those are 2 simple mistakes that coulda meant the worls as far as legacy is concerned.

good thing is the steelers are still the best with 6.

Or even getting rid of Len Dawson. :doh:

Chidi29
05-12-2010, 02:43 PM

According to Dan Rooney, John Clayton - when he was first starting out as a reporter for Pittsburgh - told Rooney that Marino would be an all-star.

Dan brought it up to Art and company in pre-draft talks but let it slip out that it was Clayton, some random no-name, who recommended him. Once the guys heard that, they scoffed at the idea.

Don't know if that's true but that's what Dan Rooney wrote in his book. At the very least, there had to have been other reasons why we passed on him.

Another positive outcome that could have come out of us taking Marino was that the player we did take, defensive tackle Gabe Riveria (I think that was his name, just going off of memory) may have never been invovled in that car crash that left him paralyzed.

BlastFurnace
05-12-2010, 04:29 PM
when the chips are down, timing routes blow, if your a great qb, in the biggest game of your life, take responsibility, the reciever breaks, see it, drill the sucker in there, . . . don't throw the ball 10 yards away from the receiver where you think he should be!

I'll never forgive O'Dummell! EVER!:banging:

There is more to it than that. That was Corey Holliday's fault just as much as it was Neil's. Funny how no-one ever criticizes Andre Hastings for dropping that easy pass that would have gone for 20 yards the play or two before.

wootawnee
05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Neil O'donnell got sent packing...........Cowher said see ya.........Man if we had a guy, those defenses we had back then were better than todays........They were huge......

BlastFurnace
05-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Neil O'donnell got sent packing...........Cowher said see ya.........Man if we had a guy, those defenses we had back then were better than todays........They were huge......

That's not what happened at all to Neil.

The Steelers offered him a 5 year /$18 million Dollar Deal. He turned it down for a 5 year / $25 Million Dollar deal with his hometown team.

They hardly sent him packing. He left on his own.

alex
05-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Well, let's see.

Great.Marino is strong!

markymarc
05-17-2010, 07:19 PM
I will go with 2 more super bowl victories if Marino would have been our QB. Then we could be talking about being the first NFL team to double digit super bowl trophies :tt02::tt02:

HeinzWebster
06-28-2010, 06:48 PM
In '83 Marino would have taken over for Cliff Stout by mid-season, gotten benched for Terry in that 'last-hurrah' win over the Jets in Week 15, we would have made playoffs but the next year Dan would not have caught-on/gelled as quickly with the offense like he did with the pass-happy/already-suited-for-him Dolphins' O. We may have had a better record than 9-7 and made the playoffs but we would not have escaped the AFC. In '85 we certainly would have made the playoffs again and after an off-year in '86 that would have still happened, in the '87 strike-shortened year instead of an 8-7 record, Dan not only takes us to the playoffs, but BACK TO THE SUPER BOWL! Very sadly, however, John Stallworth & Donnie Shell in both their last game experience something that they and Chuck have never experienced....a Super Bowl DEFEAT. We at least give Washington a close game unlike Denver did, but it would be Doug Williams' day. After another bad year in '88, we make the playoffs in both '89 (no, no 10-92 embarassments weeks #1 & #2) and also in '90 and then after a disappointing '91, Chuck still calls it a career. Cowher's first year....not only we clinch homefield advantage, but better than 11-5 and make ANOTHER TRIP to the Bowl! However, Jimmy's Boys sadly get their way with us, and it isn't close either. Two years later, 1994 - REDEMPTION! We make it back to the Bowl and prevent Steve Young from ever getting that Ring, then a year later we get our SIXTH at the expense of now Switzer's Boys (no MVP gift to Larry Brown)! In '96, with THE BUS now onboard, we become the first team ever to THREE-PEAT over Green Bay and then in '97 win a FOURTH-in-a-row, again over Green Bay - preventing BRETT FAVRE from yet getting HIS Ring. No season-ending 5-game-losing streak in '98, we make the playoffs again, but no Super Bowl. No playoffs in '99 but due to different circumstances these past 17 years, Dan sticks around and leads Steelers to playoffs once again in '00 and then sticks around to lead us to not ONE, but TWO MORE (BACK-TO-BACK) Super Bowl victories first over the Rams, then over Tampa Bay! Yes, no comeback-story for Tommy, still no title for Tampa, and no title for Billicheck/Brady until the next year (2003) where the Steelers do have that dismal season and Dan calls it a career at age 42, passing the baton to........yep!

TWELVE RINGS we would have had by now!! (4 from Terry, SIX from Dan, and so far 2 from Big Ben) Go Steelers!!