PDA

View Full Version : Steeler's Average Prospect Rating and Comparison

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
The draft season never really ends for me...(sorry). I was just doing a statistical comparison of teams draft picks and came across something interesting and possibly may give us all reason to think that this draft class has a pretty good possibility of success.

I assigned each prospect a number using NFL.com's draft prospect rating....added up each teams prospects ...and divided by the number of prospects...For instance:

Round 1 Maurkice Pouncey.....8.4
Round 2 Jason Worilds ............6.2
Round 3 Emmanuel Sanders 7.8
Round 4 Thaddeus Gibson.....7.0
Round 5 Chris Scott..................5.5
Round 5 Crezdon Butler...........2.2
Round 5 Stevenson Sylvester 2.0
Round 6 Jonathan Dwyer........7.1
Round 6 Antonio Brown...........3.8
Round 7 Doug Worthington....5.8

Adding up the ratings it equals 55.8. Dividing that by 10 (the number of prospects) equals a Steeler draft prospect average rating of 5.5.

Now the amazing thing that I came across when doing this analysis is in the comparison do those 5 teams that recieved the highest draft grade by the experts. Here is how they rated out using the same breakdown:

Raiders....4.9
Panthers..5.0
Dolphins..5.0
Seattle......5.4
49ers........5.5

Those players with no draft grade were assigned a 2.0 (which in all actuality is very generous and raised the draft greade of these 5 teams).

Based on these numbers we actually had one of the better drafts this year. If anyone is interested I could do a statistical breakdown of the AFC North.

I understand that there are other variables to be considered...but still very interesting.

St33lersguy
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
So I guess we reached for a backup project passing up bette players who actually filled pressing needs in the 2nd round then drafted a guy who didn't recieve a grade in the 5th.

tony hipchest
05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
great excersize LLT. thanks for the legwork. i followed NFL.com's draft tracker and these rankings during the draft for rounds 3-7. i definitely noted in the later rounds how the rankings would consistantly drop, yet alot of our picks were significantly higher than the majority in the same rounds (tells me we drafted for some value even if was a subjective value scoring system conjured up by prospect graders, and some pretty damn good analysts).

im curious... it seems our draft rating average may even be undervalued due to having so many late round and comp picks.

if you get rid of our 2 late 5ths and the late 6th = 47.8/7= 6.8 (thats pretty damn good just counting our primary picks and also considering we also got mcfadden and leftwich).

i see no reason NOT to have optomism with how this draft turned out. if you can, i wouldnt mind seeing the ravens, as i feel they found real good value, and the eagles and patriots (who always for some reason are the gold standard- and also had multiple picks).

So I guess we reached for a backup project passing up bette players who actually filled pressing needs in the 2nd round then drafted a guy who didn't recieve a grade in the 5th.

:rolleyes: :coffee:

i guess 'we' missed the point of this entire thread, huh? :dang:

GBMelBlount
05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for posting LLT.

if you get rid of our 2 late 5ths and the late 6th = 47.8/7= 6.8 (thats pretty damn good just counting our primary picks and also considering we also got mcfadden and leftwich).

Neat Observation.

tony hipchest

i see no reason NOT to have optomism with how this draft turned out

Agreed. Still a crap shoot imo but it appears we had a reasonably good draft.

fansince'76
05-11-2010, 07:03 PM

:rolleyes: :coffee:

i guess 'we' missed the point of this entire thread, huh? :dang:

No, more like he deliberately took the OP out of context to whine about the draft again. :coffee:

tony hipchest
05-11-2010, 07:21 PM
im kinda suprised the draft whiners are still at it.

i think LLT and i both woulda been more than happy if the steelers made a philadelphia type move to go up and get earl thomas (as a potential back up for troy).

but the more and more i look at it, the more and more i am pleased and looking forward to how these guys are developed.

they seem to all have great character, quality of work effort, tons of upside, healthy resume, and genuine love for the game.

Sharkissle29
05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
sylvester will be a stud....

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-12-2010, 04:12 AM
im kinda suprised the draft whiners are still at it.

i think LLT and i both woulda been more than happy if the steelers made a philadelphia type move to go up and get earl thomas (as a potential back up for troy).

but the more and more i look at it, the more and more i am pleased and looking forward to how these guys are developed.

they seem to all have great character, quality of work effort, tons of upside, healthy resume, and genuine love for the game.

Agreed...I would have loved to have drafted Earl Thomas...due to his versatility in playing CB and backing up the safety position. But I am not dissapointed at all.

According to NFL.com...We went into this draft with needs at CB, DL,QB, RB & OL.

CB...Taken care of with the trade for Bryant McFadden and in the development of Keenan Lewis (injured last year so we still haven't seen his true worth)...also picked up a "project" CB in Crezdon Butler.

DL...Doug Worthington rated as a 4-6 round prospect and we got him cheap in the 7th. I am hoping he pans out gives us three young prospects at one of our "oldest" positions.

QB...Taken care of with the signing of Byron Leftwich.

RB....HUGE score at this position with the drafting of Jonanthan Dwyer.

OL...Upgraded early in the draft with Maurkice Pouncey ....Chris Scott is a "wait and see" prospect at OT.

I would had that we had an immediate need to add depth to the WR...OLB...and ILB positions and did so very well. Not to mention that many of these players will upgrade our ST's.

Aussie_steeler
05-12-2010, 05:06 AM
The draft season never really ends for me...(sorry). I was just doing a statistical comparison of teams draft picks and came across something interesting and possibly may give us all reason to think that this draft class has a pretty good possibility of success.

I assigned each prospect a number using NFL.com's draft prospect rating....added up each teams prospects ...and divided by the number of prospects...For instance:

Round 1 Maurkice Pouncey.....8.4
Round 2 Jason Worilds ............6.2
Round 3 Emmanuel Sanders 7.8
Round 4 Thaddeus Gibson.....7.0
Round 5 Chris Scott..................5.5
Round 5 Crezdon Butler...........2.2
Round 5 Stevenson Sylvester 2.0
Round 6 Jonathan Dwyer........7.1
Round 6 Antonio Brown...........3.8
Round 7 Doug Worthington....5.8

Adding up the ratings it equals 55.8. Dividing that by 10 (the number of prospects) equals a Steeler draft prospect average rating of 5.5.

Now the amazing thing that I came across when doing this analysis is in the comparison do those 5 teams that recieved the highest draft grade by the experts. Here is how they rated out using the same breakdown:

Raiders....4.9
Panthers..5.0
Dolphins..5.0
Seattle......5.4
49ers........5.5

Those players with no draft grade were assigned a 2.0 (which in all actuality is very generous and raised the draft greade of these 5 teams).

Based on these numbers we actually had one of the better drafts this year. If anyone is interested I could do a statistical breakdown of the AFC North.

I understand that there are other variables to be considered...but still very interesting.

Great job LLT. Your statistical analysis got me thinking about how other grading services would treat our draft in comparison to the rest of the AFC North.

I used the Profootball Weekly draft guide ( courtesy of the guru of all SF draftgeeks)

1. Ravens
Kindle 6.35
Cody 5.65
DIckson 5.5
Pitta 5.7
Reed 5.37
Jones 5.35
Harewood 5.21

Average 5.597

2. Browns
Haden 6.25
Ward 5.5
Hardesty 5.4
McCoy 5.85
Lauvao 5.35
Asante 5.4
Mitchell 5.55
Geathers 5.25

Average 5.569

3. Bengals
Gresham 6.3
Dunlap 5.45
Shipley 5.4
Ghee 5.45
Atkins 5.39
Muckelroy 5.35
Hudson 4.6
Briscoe 5.23
Stephens 5.05

Average 5.357

4. Steelers
Pouncey 6.15
Worilds 5.5
Sanders 5.4
Gibson 5.4
Scott 5.15
Butler 5.2
Stevenson 4.9
Brown 5.2
Dwyer 5.39
Worthington 4.9

Average 5.319

Using the grading chart for players ratings and loosely using it to grade a teams overall grade

First round grade -- 5.95 or above
Second round grade -- 5.55 to 5.94
Third round grade -- 5.42 to 5.54
Fourth round grade -- 5.35 to 5.41
Fifth round grade -- 5.25 to 5.34
Sixth / seventh round grade -- 5.12 to 5.24

1. Ravens - 5.597 2nd round grade
2. Browns - 5.569 2nd round grade
3. Bengals - 5.357 4th round grade
4. Steelers - 5.319 5th round grade

Here is another perspective for everyone to consider.

Personally I like the results of your statistical analysis better LLT.:drink:

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Great job LLT. Your statistical analysis got me thinking about how other grading services would treat our draft in comparison to the rest of the AFC North.

I used the Profootball Weekly draft guide ( courtesy of the guru of all SF draftgeeks)

1. Ravens
Kindle 6.35
Cody 5.65
DIckson 5.5
Pitta 5.7
Reed 5.37
Jones 5.35
Harewood 5.21

Average 5.597

2. Browns
Haden 6.25
Ward 5.5
Hardesty 5.4
McCoy 5.85
Lauvao 5.35
Asante 5.4
Mitchell 5.55
Geathers 5.25

Average 5.569

3. Bengals
Gresham 6.3
Dunlap 5.45
Shipley 5.4
Ghee 5.45
Atkins 5.39
Muckelroy 5.35
Hudson 4.6
Briscoe 5.23
Stephens 5.05

Average 5.357

4. Steelers
Pouncey 6.15
Worilds 5.5
Sanders 5.4
Gibson 5.4
Scott 5.15
Butler 5.2
Stevenson 4.9
Brown 5.2
Dwyer 5.39
Worthington 4.9

Average 5.319

Using the grading chart for players ratings and loosely using it to grade a teams overall grade

First round grade -- 5.95 or above
Second round grade -- 5.55 to 5.94
Third round grade -- 5.42 to 5.54
Fourth round grade -- 5.35 to 5.41
Fifth round grade -- 5.25 to 5.34
Sixth / seventh round grade -- 5.12 to 5.24

Personally I like the results of your statistical analysis better LLT.:drink:

Very nice!!!

But take into consideration that we met ALL draft needs. Teams like the Ravens picked up two TE's and ignored their CB deficiency.

(Those are the variables that I was talking about.)

...and that reminds me....I have the updated PFW POST-draft info...if you want it.

Aussie_steeler
05-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I would really love to get my hands onto the BLESTO and quadra data LLT.

That would make for a really interesting post draft analysis.

Even just to see how favourable commercial scouting services compare with the REAL scouting analysis.

Does any know if the BLESTO and quadra has ever been released or leaked?

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
I would really love to get my hands onto the BLESTO and quadra data LLT.

That would make for a really interesting post draft analysis.

Even just to see how favourable commercial scouting services compare with the REAL scouting analysis.

Does any know if the BLESTO and quadra has ever been released or leaked?

I think the Blesto top 10 was leaked in 2007...but I will have to verify if that is true.

If we has the information that Blesto and the National (thats what Quadra is called now) was privy to....it would make mock drafts alot easier. Alot of times we wonder why people slide in the draft only to find out later that one of these organizations "knew" something. The public and some of the teams not affiliated with either organization only becomes aware of it after the draft.

pete74
05-12-2010, 03:49 PM
sylvester will be a stud....

sylvester will never start a game for the steelers

Aussie_steeler
05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I think the Blesto top 10 was leaked in 2007...but I will have to verify if that is true.

If we has the information that Blesto and the National (thats what Quadra is called now) was privy to....it would make mock drafts alot easier. Alot of times we wonder why people slide in the draft only to find out later that one of these organizations "knew" something. The public and some of the teams not affiliated with either organization only becomes aware of it after the draft.

Do you think that Mayock, McShay, Kiper, Kirwan and all the other pro services lay their hands on BLESTO and National?

I'd think they would nearly have to at some stage due to their connections.

I also wonder sometimes if the drafting process has a little bit of the old boys club rules applied. You know the one where someone really does something despicable and the word is put around ( by the league or GM's) that this guy will NEVER play in the NFL.

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Do you think that Mayock, McShay, Kiper, Kirwan and all the other pro services lay their hands on BLESTO and National?

I'd think they would nearly have to at some stage due to their connections.

I also wonder sometimes if the drafting process has a little bit of the old boys club rules applied. You know the one where someone really does something despicable and the word is put around ( by the league or GM's) that this guy will NEVER play in the NFL.

I think they have connections....but as high as they rank players such as Ciron Black, would suggest that they didnt have the interview and medical results that the teams had.

Sharkissle29
05-12-2010, 05:28 PM

gotta love the underdog!

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-12-2010, 05:28 PM

Dude plays HUGE in big games ...in the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl he had eight tackles, one tackle for loss... broke up a pass.... and had the interception for a touchdown at the end of the game to win the game.

Take a look at his film at the 2008 Sugar Bowl.... he had seven tackles... Terrrorized the Alabama QB with three sacks... and had a fumble recovery.

He started for three years and finished his career with close to 270 tackles.

I think he has done enough to at least make us think that he has a chance t be a player.

tony hipchest
05-12-2010, 05:44 PM

Personally I like the results of your statistical analysis better LLT.:drink:here again, the fewer draft picks, the higher the rating.

if it makes you feel any better, i did the same as above and took out the 2 lower fifths, and the final sixth, and it improved our rating to 5.42 which raises us above the bungs. :noidea:

anyways, im perplexed why anyone would be writing off sylvester so quickly.

pete74
05-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Dude plays HUGE in big games ...in the 2009 Poinsettia Bowl he had eight tackles, one tackle for loss... broke up a pass.... and had the interception for a touchdown at the end of the game to win the game.

Take a look at his film at the 2008 Sugar Bowl.... he had seven tackles... Terrrorized the Alabama QB with three sacks... and had a fumble recovery.

I think he has done enough to at least make us think that he has a chance t be a player.

i think he looked decent but i still cant see him doing the same in the pros. hopefully im wrong but i dont see him or butler ever playing in a game

St33lersguy
05-12-2010, 08:31 PM

I think he was brought in solely for special teams with no intent of him being a starter. I also read on a draft site that he is not a good fit in the 3-4

tony hipchest
05-12-2010, 10:28 PM
i think he looked decent but i still cant see him doing the same in the pros. hopefully im wrong but i dont see him or butler ever playing in a game

I think he was brought in solely for special teams with no intent of him being a starter. I also read on a draft site that he is not a good fit in the 3-4

well it is settled then.

while your opinions are duly noted, your analysis leaves alot to be desired.

the steelers never bring in any 6th rounder with intent on being a starter.

get with the program guys! this shit aint rocket science. :doh:

:banging:

Psyychoward86
05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
gotta love the underdog!

aint that the truth

http://www.steelergridiron.com/history/images/donnie_shell_jpg.jpg

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/parker.jpg

http://readandreact.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/steelers_james_harrison_slams_browns_fan.jpg

:chuckle::tt04:

pete74
05-13-2010, 04:18 AM
well it is settled then.

while your opinions are duly noted, your analysis leaves alot to be desired.

the steelers never bring in any 6th rounder with intent on being a starter.

get with the program guys! this shit aint rocket science. :doh:

:banging:

this is a board of opinion and yours is not the right one like you seem to always think. you constantly bash and belittle members who's opinion differ from your own but thats not going to roll with me.

Aussie_steeler
05-13-2010, 05:22 AM
LLT and I were trying to analyse some draft data to see what could be extracted.

The thread was at a point of discussing BLESTO data and instead it turns into sylvester bashing and eventually racial claims.

Why cant this board seem to stay on the OP's original intent of late? A fair bit of time has been invested by LLT and myself regarding this topic and it had to be pretty bloody obvious to even the most casual observer.

Might as well pull the chain and flush this thread.

Should have continued crapping on Sylvester in this thread
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=51710&highlight=sylvester+stevenson&page=4

revefsreleets
05-13-2010, 10:31 AM
The Steelers don't draft LBers to start right away. Period.

They look for guys who have the unique skill-set they demand, bring them in and groom them for a few years.

Steely McSmash
05-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Nice work in the OP.

A lot of the boost is from picking up Dywer. If you dropped him to a more typical 2-3 value, you'd see about a half point drop.