PDA

View Full Version : JaMarcus Russell is talking to guess who.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Bengals have reached out to former Raiders QB Russell's reps

NFL.com

It started Tuesday with a tweet from wide receiver Chad Ochocinco, who said he'll see JaMarcus Russell in the Cincinnati Bengals' June minicamp. Later, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the Bengals are among the teams that have contacted the quarterback's representatives.

Nothing is imminent, La Canfora reported, but the Bengals, who have J.T. O'Sullivan as their backup to quarterback Carson Palmer, are a potential suitor.

Russell, whom the Oakland Raiders released last week, plans to take his time in picking his next team and is focused on getting himself into shape and weighing his options, the source said. Those close to Russell hope his release serves as a wake-up call for the former No. 1 overall pick, who in 31 career games has thrown 18 touchdowns and 23 interceptions for a 65.2 rating.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81812a28&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

steelerdude15
05-12-2010, 12:49 AM
What a joke, why would anyone want him?

tony hipchest
05-12-2010, 12:50 AM
damn! i guessed the raiders. :doh:

...getting himself into shape and weighing his options....,

i'll take 'what is an oxymoron' for $100, alex.

Galax Steeler
05-12-2010, 04:46 AM
damn! i guessed the raiders. :doh:

i'll take 'what is an oxymoron' for $100, alex.

:toofunny: What are the Bungholes a thinking.:rofl:

CantStop85
05-12-2010, 01:42 PM
:toofunny: What are the Bungholes a thinking.:rofl:

Since we're not bringing him in to be a starter, I don't see much of a problem with it. Take a flier on a guy who was talented enough to be the #1 overall pick and see if there's any chance of salvaging his career. Best case scenario: you get a future franchise QB, worst case scenario: you cut the guy after preseason and move on.

stlrtruck
05-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Since we're not bringing him in to be a starter, I don't see much of a problem with it. Take a flier on a guy who was talented enough to be the #1 overall pick and see if there's any chance of salvaging his career. Best case scenario: you get a future franchise QB, worst case scenario: you cut the guy after preseason and move on.

With Oakland, does that really count as a #1 overall pick?

Not saying he can't salvage his career but saying he's a #1 pick and taking a chance because of that....hmmm...that's reaching.

Now don't get me wrong, I do believe that players can revamp their lost careers by switching teams, and there is a part of me that Russell could just do that - even in bungal country.

St33lersguy
05-12-2010, 03:06 PM
He is a perfect fit

AllD
05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I have lost any remaining respect for Marvin Lewis. I wouldn't ask Russel to throw water on me if I was on fire.

silver & black
05-12-2010, 07:19 PM
You might as well start moving on now.

He wasn't talented enough to be the #1 overall pick... he was lucky enough to have a good game against ND, and lucky that the Raiders had the #1 overall pick... only Al Davis would waste it on this loser.

tube517
05-12-2010, 07:26 PM
That's why the call them the Bungles.

KeiselPower99
05-12-2010, 08:03 PM
How many scouts had him as the best qb in that draft? They all need fired if they did.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-12-2010, 08:16 PM
JR was in a very bad position in Oakland. That is where careers go to die.

However, he didn't help the problem showing up for TC heavier than many defensive tackles. He was the last one in the door and the first one out many reports said. He didn't want to do the work that came with the monster contract he received. Every once-in-a-while he showed flashes of how good he could be.....then he would kill that flash with a stupid Kordell Stewart-esque interception.

St33lersguy
05-12-2010, 09:25 PM
I predicted that Russell was going to go to the browns. So far right state, wrong team

Nadroj 20
05-12-2010, 09:28 PM
I predicted that Russell was going to go to the browns. So far right state, wrong team

This was my first thought as well, i can not believe that any team is even considering this guy to hold a clip board :doh:

Godfather
05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
JR was in a very bad position in Oakland. That is where careers go to die.

However, he didn't help the problem showing up for TC heavier than many defensive tackles. He was the last one in the door and the first one out many reports said. He didn't want to do the work that came with the monster contract he received. Every once-in-a-while he showed flashes of how good he could be.....then he would kill that flash with a stupid Kordell Stewart-esque interception.

Well, maybe getting cut shook him up and he learned something.

I agree with CS85. There's no risk and plenty of reward for the Bengals. Ochocinco isn't DHB--he can stay on his feet while running a route and can catch a ball that hits him in the numbers.

steelreserve
05-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Russell, whom the Oakland Raiders released last week, plans to take his time in picking his next team and is focused on getting himself into shape and weighing his options, the source said.

Translation: He's been sitting around at home smoking weed all day.

I agree with CS85. There's no risk and plenty of reward for the Bengals. Ochocinco isn't DHB--he can stay on his feet while running a route and can catch a ball that hits him in the numbers.

Yeah ... plenty of reward in the same way there'd be plenty of reward for us bringing in Tommy Maddox.

I don't really think the better receivers will help anyway. If they catch the one ball that hits them in the numbers, they'll still miss the other 19 that skipped five yards in front of them in the dirt, or sailed 10 yards over their heads and 10 yards out of bounds.

Did you even see this guy play? It was absolutely painful to watch. If the Bengals hire him as a hot dog vendor, he'll probably still find a way to cost them a couple of games.

revefsreleets
05-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I can't seem to find any criminal record for Russell.

Why would the Bengals be interested in him?

fansince'76
05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't really think the better receivers will help anyway. If they catch the one ball that hits them in the numbers, they'll still miss the other 19 that skipped five yards in front of them in the dirt, or sailed 10 yards over their heads and 10 yards out of bounds.

Did you even see this guy play? It was absolutely painful to watch.

Not all that much, but what I did see led me to believe he was nothing more than a slower, fatter version of Kordell. Your description of 19 in 20 passes being either one-hoppers in the dirt in front of WRs or rockets that sail 10 feet over their heads out of bounds pretty much summed up Kordell's passing ability in a nutshell.

wootawnee
05-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I was wondering if the Bengals were looking at J Russell at tight end?........Might be better for him than QB..........At least he would play.......He is one huge dude.......Got wildcat possibilities written all over it..........Plus he don't need any more money, he took all of the Raiders with him when he left...........:coffee:

Bng_Hevn
05-13-2010, 12:49 PM
It is pretty pathetic that he is NOW trying to get into shape. These kids coming out of college today have absolutely no morals or integrity.

Soak a team for as much as you can while you lay on your fat arse until they cut you and THEN put in the work in order to fleece another team with a big contract. Once THAT contract is signed, lay around again.

It seriously makes me ill to think that these losers a financially set for life, assuming they are at least a little financially responsible.

But the scout statement is correct - they should all be fired. If I were dependent on a scout's info and chose Russell as the #1 overall pick and this happened, that scout would sink with him.

Indo
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
An interesting "tidbit":

Raiders owner Al Davis, who drafted Russell over the objections of his then-head coach Lane Kiffen, finally agreed to pull Russell midway through last season, a move that was popular in the locker room.http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/05/lsu_coach_les_miles_hopes_jama.html

In Russell's defense, he was a pretty damn good QB at LSU. So you can't really blame the scouts. But, like a certain rock-handed receiver we all know, some players just can't make the jump to the NFL.

Some LSU stats:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146755

revefsreleets
05-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Those are very "Tebow-like" numbers...

Psyychoward86
05-13-2010, 06:44 PM
An interesting "tidbit":

Raiders owner Al Davis, who drafted Russell over the objections of his then-head coach Lane Kiffen, finally agreed to pull Russell midway through last season, a move that was popular in the locker room.http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/05/lsu_coach_les_miles_hopes_jama.html

In Russell's defense, he was a pretty damn good QB at LSU. So you can't really blame the scouts. But, like a certain rock-handed receiver we all know, some players just can't make the jump to the NFL.

Some LSU stats:

Um no, he never had anywhere near the merit that is deserved in a #1 overall draft pick.

Indo
05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Um no, he never had anywhere near the merit that is deserved in a #1 overall draft pick.

I agree with you completely

Add to that the fact that he had the audacity to "hold out" for almost half a season.

I'm just saying that he was probably slightly above the average college QB when he played for LSU
(Tebow-esque, as Revs observed)

What's amazing to me is the degree to which he has crashed and burned in the NFL
(something I don't think Tebow will do because of his work-ethic-----whether he becomes a starting QB or not is another matter altogether...)

Bng_Hevn
05-15-2010, 08:47 AM
There is more to look at than stats, like character, work ethic etc.

Peyton Manning was a can't miss because his attributes were not a "flash in a pan".

Scouts need to be able to analyze players better, after all, that is their job.

steelreserve
05-16-2010, 07:39 PM

Some LSU stats:

I think THESE are the stats they should've been looking at ... they tell a completely different story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=146755&year=2006
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=146755&year=2005
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=146755&year=2004

Yeah, he did fine against teams like Fresno State and Louisiana-Lafayette. When it was teams like Auburn, or Florida, or Tennessee ... not so much. That should have identified him right away as a guy who was getting by on natural talent alone, but when he went up against anyone skilled, they gave him a lesson on how to play football.

Add to that the fact that he had the audacity to "hold out" for almost half a season.

In hindsight, that looks like the smartest move he ever made. Better get every penny you can out of that first deal, JaMarcus, because that's probably all you ever get.

MasterOfPuppets
05-16-2010, 08:03 PM
i soooo hope the bengals sign him ...:applaudit: