PDA

View Full Version : bill cowhers "who dey..." chant at the parade

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
mega cool and funny, or highly uncharacteristic and unprofessional?

you think he was caught up in the moment or was this a calculated dig at the bengals?

i hate the thought of stealing anything from the bengals, especially their little chant but if its making fun of them then i think its hilarious.

we dey!

SteelerDan43
02-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I thought it was a little of both, it seemed like he kinda caught wind of a crowd chant and ran with it. I would prefer to not sink to the Bengal's level though

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Tony, Cowher did it on two or three different occasions. Now, this is pure speculation on my part but do you think something went down behind closed doors with Cowher and Lewis or Cowher and the Bengal organization after our playoff victory? The reason why I say this is because it was done on more than one occasion yesterday. I can understand doing it once, but doing it more than once is the reason for my speculation and curiousity.

As for thinking it was unprofessional. No, I don't think it was. It was all in fun in my opinion. By no means do I feel we were "stealing" anything from the Bengals. That's for damn sure. The Bengals don't have anything we want.

floodcitygirl
02-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Speaking as a STEELER fan formerly from PA now living in cincy, I've heard that it might have stemmed from all of the trash talking the Bengals gave after they won in Pitt this year and also before the playoff game. The players even made a video with it. In any case, you can't believe all of the whinning going on here about it. Of course they haven't stopped since the playoff game! ( intentional hit on Palmer, Cowher ordered it, Kimmo the assasin, etc etc). Personally I enjoyed greatly what Cowher did. They made the issue of WHO DEY (especially with the video). He simply answered the question...WE DEY!!! I know that some of the STEELER hangouts here have had tshirts printed with WE DEY on them and they're selling out!

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 12:32 PM
As for thinking it was unprofessional. No, I don't think it was. It was all in fun in my opinion. By no means do I feel we were "stealing" anything from the Bengals. That's for damn sure. The Bengals don't have anything we want.

i pretty much equate it with hines ward's riverdance, with a little bit of "in your face, bengals" mixed in. :sofunny:

Ambridge
I kinda cringed when I heard Cowher do it at the parade.

The "Who-Dey" chant that Cowher adapted in mockery had it's one time place in the sun after the playoff game.

83-Steelers-43
Hey, the Bengals asked...........we simply answered. :hunch: :chuckle:

CASTEEL
02-08-2006, 12:42 PM
I kinda cringed when I heard Cowher do it at the parade.

The "Who-Dey" chant that Cowher adapted in mockery had it's one time place in the sun after the playoff game.

I lean toward this feeling myself. While I LOVED seeing Bill grin like a kid at christmas, and it warmed my heart to see all the celebration, I hope I don't have to hear our guys chanting a stupid arse bungle chant ever again! :grin:

ONE FOR THE THUMB.....DONE!!!

SteelerzGirl
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm thinking it had more to do w/the Bengals having won the AFCN, but the Steelers overcoming that, fighting back, and winning the Super Bowl, but who knows...(lol)!

Bust
02-08-2006, 12:57 PM
This has really been bugging me since the parade yesterday and I'm glad someone started a thread about it.

I'm a HUGE Steelers fan and I have the utmost respect and admiration for Coach Cowher, but what he did yesterday embarrassed himself and I feel the organization/city as a whole.

From the first time I heard the Bengals "Who Dey?" chant, I ranked it as maybe the lamest rallying cry ever, perhaps only surpassed by "Cowboy Up!".

Standing in the middle of that crowd yesterday, hearing our city do it not once, but multiple times led by our head coach saddened me. There was no reason for it. Of all the playoff victories, I rank the Bengals as the least important. Why even acknowledge thier existence on such an important day for the Steelers?

To me this is no better than the pathetic New England fans chanting "Yankees Suck" at the Patriots celebrations.

And oh by the way, the Porter led "Who Ride?" sing-a-long was almost just as bad, and apparently that's a Steelers thing. Ugh.

CASTEEL
02-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Now the "Who Ride" chant I didn't have a problem with at all!!!
That's our teams locker room chant, and Joey was being Joey and trying to get everyone pumped up.....

ONE FOR THE THUMB....DONE!

NJarhead
02-08-2006, 02:11 PM
ABSOLUTELY!!!

He brought the STEELERS locker room chant to the fans of Pittsburgh. Whats not to love about that?????

Mamaduck43
02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
I think that after the win over Cincy, the We Dey became kind of like a war cry..... We proved that we could do it..... It was an omen and reminder of that success that kept the team fired up during the playoffs and the SB..... We can all see the change in Cowher this post season, and if this is what it took, then thank goodness it happened....

Next season, it will be something else.....

And another way of looking at it -- who had Terrible Towels first??? How many wannabe imitations have we seen this year??? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

shevdog
02-08-2006, 02:18 PM
When I heard Cowher say that less than a block over from where I was standing I and about everyone else shouted "We Dey!"

I don't care if it may be unprofessional. We definately answered "Who Dey" with an XL exclamation point!

bigbensgirl7
02-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Speaking as a STEELER fan formerly from PA now living in cincy, I've heard that it might have stemmed from all of the trash talking the Bengals gave after they won in Pitt this year and also before the playoff game. The players even made a video with it. In any case, you can't believe all of the whinning going on here about it. Of course they haven't stopped since the playoff game! ( intentional hit on Palmer, Cowher ordered it, Kimmo the assasin, etc etc). Personally I enjoyed greatly what Cowher did. They made the issue of WHO DEY (especially with the video). He simply answered the question...WE DEY!!! I know that some of the STEELER hangouts here have had tshirts printed with WE DEY on them and they're selling out!
If you live in or around Cincinnati...Who Dey is all you hear these days!!! I for one thought it was hilarious when Bill did that...because he is simply awnsering the question they were asked time and time again.....WE DEY BABY!!!!!!!
AFCN Champs < SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stlrs4Life
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I thought it was hilarious! We Dey!

drizze99
02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
I thought it was great!

WE DEY!

Livinginthe past
02-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Thats the kind of move i'd expect of a low rent smack talker like Joey Porter.

The Steelers done all the talking that needed to be done on the pitch as they beat the Bengals when it really counted.

As a coach, you never give the opposition any extra motivation.

Who here thinks that come the start of next year the Bengals wont be a huge threat to the AFC North and the AFC as a whole?

NM

augustashark
02-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Thats the kind of move i'd expect of a low rent smack talker like Joey Porter.

The Steelers done all the talking that needed to be done on the pitch as they beat the Bengals when it really counted.

As a coach, you never give the opposition any extra motivation.

Who here thinks that come the start of next year the Bengals wont be a huge threat to the AFC North and the AFC as a whole?

NM

Low rent smack talker???????

Can you explain what a high rent smack talker is?

Dumb post LITP, I don't think that anyone said that cincy will not contend next year! As far as a coach never giving "extra motivation" makes me laugh......If you think that Cowher chanting who dey is going to make cincy a better team, then you make my point that you know little about the game of football! Unbelieveable!

melroseplace
02-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I thought it was funny. Cowher's from the area so he grew up loving the Steelers and hating the Bengals. I took it as the Bengals being the first team we overcame in the playoffs, the first team no one thought we would beat. but we did it and then went on to beat everyone else to become Super Bowl champs :tt:

Sharkissle29
02-08-2006, 05:23 PM
you guys need to lighten up a little....its just cowher having a good time

GX624
02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
It was funny the first time, after the Wild Card game, because Cowher looked so goofy when he forgot the punchline. It was cute the first time at the parade, then, like a bad comedian, he over-did it. It was an Uncle Bill moment.

Porter's "Who's Ridin' We Ridin'" is a tribute to riding The Bus. It's appropriate, gets the team's juices flowin', and is fun. Especially with the bounce. He just needs a vocal coach to come in and teach him how to scream from down in his gut so he doesn't squeak so much. LOL

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 05:32 PM

!

ty law and rodney harrison. (or anyone on the patriots)

while litp will contend that his team would never talk smack or break rank, i know otherwise.

Livinginthe past
02-08-2006, 05:38 PM

Dumb post LITP, I don't think that anyone said that cincy will not contend next year! As far as a coach never giving "extra motivation" makes me laugh......If you think that Cowher chanting who dey is going to make cincy a better team, then you make my point that you know little about the game of football! Unbelieveable!

I should have known you would need this explaining to you, Stalker.

If you call someone a lowdown dirty rat, it doesn't automatically mean that there is such thing as a highup dirty rat.

It also doesnt mean that there is such a thing as a lowdown hygenically impressive rat either.

Surely you understand enough about the English language to know that you cant just substitute the opposite meaning of a word at the beginning of a descriptive phrase and expect it to make any sense?

I just thought of another example to help you.

If I was to call you a cheapshot, desperate Stalker - it doesnt mean that there is such a thing as a cheap shot, rational Stalker....ok?

By the way - its an accepted fact that you don't really talk football - only lame smack.

NM

Livinginthe past
02-08-2006, 05:40 PM
ty law and rodney harrison. (or anyone on the patriots)

while litp will contend that his team would never talk smack or break rank, i know otherwise.

Show me where Belichick did it, or anything similar?

Show me where any recent Patriots coach did it?

You cant Tony.

I know you cant.

This was about how coaches should be above petty needling of opposition - stick to the topic.

Think before you post.

NM

augustashark
02-08-2006, 05:48 PM
I should have known you would need this explaining to you, Stalker.

If you call someone a lowdown dirty rat, it doesn't automatically mean that there is such thing as a highup dirty rat.

It also doesnt mean that there is such a thing as a lowdown hygenically impressive rat either.

Surely you understand enough about the English language to know that you cant just substitute the opposite meaning of a word at the beginning of a descriptive phrase and expect it to make any sense?

I just thought of another example to help you.

If I was to call you a cheapshot, desperate Stalker - it doesnt mean that their is such a thing as a cheap shot, rational Stalker....ok?

By the way - its an accepted fact that you don't really talk football - only lame smack.

NM

You are such a fool! You were the one that said cowher was giving "extra motivation" to the Bengals! Yep, you know your football!

Low rent means what section 8? "highup dirty rat"!!!!! You are such an idiot!!!

You crack me up!!!!!!!!!

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Show me where Belichick did it?

Show me where any recent Patriots coach did it?

You cant Tony.

I know you cant.

This was about how coaches should be above petty needling of opposition - stick to the topic.

Think before you post.

NMnice joey porter reference, then. maybe its belichicks fault for not sending cowher the manual he wrote on how to properly celebrate a sb win at a parade. get real and get your head out of the clouds. why dont you show me where belichick has played professional football and has engaged in the type of bravado that goes on in the locker room that may inspire a little smack or ribbing. its 2 different coaching styles. while you think yours is perfect and the benchmark, cowher is a players coach who doesnt rule with an iron fist. he has much personality and he likes to have fun. he doesnt force his players to behave and act the way he does. and he doesnt try to create little cowher robots.

you think cowher is scared of firing up the bengals? or upsetting marvin lewis? maybe marvin can pin "we dey" up in the locker room right next to chad johnsons list and still photos of their "rap/funk" video. lol

floodcitygirl
02-08-2006, 05:55 PM
If you live in or around Cincinnati...Who Dey is all you hear these days!!! I for one thought it was hilarious when Bill did that...because he is simply awnsering the question they were asked time and time again.....WE DEY BABY!!!!!!!
AFCN Champs < SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I truly think that people who live outside of this area can't fully understand how obnoxious these Bengal fans have been with the who dey bit, especially toward STEELER fans. I have been rather low key about the whole WE DEY thing personally but after all the *stuff* going on around here in this past week, I think I'll go get me my own WE DEY shirt! In other words, I couldn't agree more! WE DEY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blurp:

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 06:03 PM
you guys need to lighten up a little....its just cowher having a good time

I agree 100%.

Livinginthe past
02-08-2006, 06:11 PM
nice joey porter reference, then. maybe its belichicks fault for not sending cowher the manual he wrote on how to properly celebrate a sb win at a parade. get real and get your head out of the clouds. why dont you show me where belichick has played professional football and has engaged in the type of bravado that goes on in the locker room that may inspire a little smack or ribbing. its 2 different coaching styles. while you think yours is perfect and the benchmark, cowher is a players coach who doesnt rule with an iron fist. he has much personality and he likes to have fun. he doesnt force his players to behave and act the way he does. and he doesnt try to create little cowher robots.

you think cowher is scared of firing up the bengals? or upsetting marvin lewis? maybe marvin can pin "we dey" up in the locker room right next to chad johnsons list and still photos of their "rap/funk" video. lol

All im reading here is "Nope, sorry LITP - I cant back up my previous assertion"

I said I dont think its classy for coaches to indulge in snack talk - there is a reason why Cowher finds himself in the tiny miority in respect of other head coaches on this matter.

Thanks anyway.

NM

Livinginthe past
02-08-2006, 06:12 PM
You are such a fool! You were the one that said cowher was giving "extra motivation" to the Bengals! Yep, you know your football!

Low rent means what section 8? "highup dirty rat"!!!!! You are such an idiot!!!

You crack me up!!!!!!!!!

You don't need to be so embarrassed about not understanding basic English - there is help out there if you can find the courage to ask.

I do feel kinda sorry for you - so I wont keep picking on your obvious weaknesses.

By the way, all i've been hearing for the last couple of days is how the betting odds on next years SB will 'fire the Steelers up even more' - so why wouldnt a rival coach mocking your team's motto do likewise?

Have a go at answering and ill try to patient with you this time.

NM

PisnNapalm
02-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Personally I love it!! We more than answered the Bengals. It's all smack talk right?

Who Dey? WE DEY!

GoStillersGo
02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
I opened this thread expecting to see a video link.

Now -- who's got one? :wink:

augustashark
02-08-2006, 06:44 PM
You don't need to be so embarrassed about not understanding basic English - there is help out there if you can find the courage to ask.

I do feel kinda sorry for you - so I wont keep picking on your obvious weaknesses.

By the way, all i've been hearing for the last couple of days is how the betting odds on next years SB will 'fire the Steelers up even more' - so why wouldnt a rival coach mocking your team's motto do likewise?

Have a go at answering and ill try to patient with you this time.

NM

Just give me how Cowher saying who dey will help the Bengals?

That is all I'm asking from you!

Harrison is one of the biggest smack talkers around, has been since his charger days.

How does it feel knowing Your pats are just like everyone else this year LOSERS!

How does 5th place taste?

How does it feel to loose at a place where the Steelers went in and just handed it to the Broncos?

How does it feel that even with your good 3 out of 4 years, you are still two down to the Steelers?

How does it feel that our tradition just kicks the shit out of yours?

How does it feel knowing that the Fins will take over the AFC EAST?

How does it feel knowing that you will not have a running game next year?

How does it feel to work for $8/hr?

How does it feel to still live with your mother?

How does it feel when your sister stands to piss and you SIT?

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 07:13 PM
All im reading here is "Nope, sorry LITP - I cant back up my previous assertion"

I said I dont think its classy for coaches to indulge in snack talk

NM

actually, bill parcells (who did coach the patriots right?) engaged in "snack talk" all the time. the tuna, wanting to go to the grocery store and cook all the meals.......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

have fun spinning cowhers smack talk, if thats what you call it (pretty weak of you to think that way) into something that diminishes the steelers win or cowher as a coach. i guess since your "cold hard football facts" bible has been blown to smithereens you need something else to hang your hat on.

i figured as much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"and as far as staying on topic and answering the thread this was the question:

mega cool and funny, or highly uncharacteristic and unprofessional? no commentary on joey porter was required. think before you post.

"

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 07:25 PM

NM
damn dude you wanted me to back up YOUR assertion, not mine! i never said belichick starts or talks smack (not in the open anyways). but his little atlanta/vick/injury report tirade was definitely "petty". cursing out steelers trainers as they tried to help his injured player? definitely "petty".

holier than thou attitude strikes again.

(time to re-visit post #23 in this thread)

warning: mention anything slightly negative about anything having to do the patriots and litp is likely and able to fly off the handle and twist your words WAY out of context.

harp79
02-08-2006, 07:45 PM
there is a reason why Cowher finds himself in the tiny miority in respect of other head coaches on this matter.

Thanks anyway.

NM

Backup this assertion. Link?

BB2W
02-08-2006, 07:49 PM
LITP has become very bitter after the Steelers Superbowl win... actually since the Pats got bounced from the playoffs. I also find his screen name funny now.

PittsburghGirl
02-08-2006, 08:12 PM
I am sooo sick of all this crap!!

First----we get to hear from the shi&*^ Seacickens about how they were sooo robbed!

Now we get to listen to our own fans bitch and moan about something that is actually a part of our team and fan base! As long as I have been a Steeler fan (27..and counting) I have always known that smack talk and bladeness is a part of -- if not -- defines the attitude and fierceness that Steeler fans are made of.

I have sat back so long and listened to how EVERYONE disrespects the Steelers-

NO matter how SUCCESSFUL we are- and Finally- now that we won the BIG ONE-
WE will never get the RESPECT that we sooo DESERVE -- that which has been comming to us for a long time!!

Cowher, the team, and the rest of this Steeler Fan base should proudly shout, "WHO dey, and of course.......WE DEY- WE DEY are da ones who won it all- so give us some G'D' RESPECT!!!!! And WHO RIDE... well...who do you guess.....

Obviously not the SeaChickens....

Stop this nonsense ---------- or go to their Forum!!!

AMEN

Haiku_Dirtt
02-08-2006, 08:20 PM
If the Bengals vocal leaders more closely personified Palmer then they wouldn't be in this mess. The only talking I ever heard from him is that he thought they should have beaten the Steelers the first game in Cincy. And isn't that what you want to hear from a QB?

The Bengals HC and Chad Johnson & Co. opened the rivergates wide open when the talking became sh.t-talking and the verbal attacks became somewhat personal.

Respect is a two-way road. Disrepect is a ten-lane freeway. Punch that accelerator Cowher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PittsburghGirl
02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
THANK YOU!

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2006, 09:02 PM
If anyone needs proof we are going through the withdrawal pains of having nothing substantive to discuss as we enter the offseason they just need to read this thread :)

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
When TJ took out the towel and shined his shoes with it..all bets were off.. they deserved it. It was freekin hysterical after all the talk and smack theyve done to us.

bigbensgirl7
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
WHO DEY??? WE DEY!!!!!!

Mr. Clean
02-08-2006, 09:19 PM
I had no problem with it. in fact, I thought it was funny.

As for what anybody outside of the Steeler Nation thinks about it, I could not care less. The Bengals deserve to be humiliated.

theSteeler
02-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I loved it and plan on taunting the Bungles about next year, too, when they ride their trailers up here to Pittsburgh...

...when those scumbags parade our Towel around by wearing it like a bib, like Chad Johnson did, or to shine their shoes with, like Doushmanzadeh did, then whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Plus, I don't think there is any love lost between Coach and Marvin Lewis.

WE DEY...as in Super Bowl Champions!

Milkman
02-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Piss on the Bungles and their sorry-ass fanboys!

Livinginthe past
02-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I am sooo sick of all this crap!!

First----we get to hear from the shi&*^ Seacickens about how they were sooo robbed!

Now we get to listen to our own fans bitch and moan about something that is actually a part of our team and fan base! As long as I have been a Steeler fan (27..and counting) I have always known that smack talk and bladeness is a part of -- if not -- defines the attitude and fierceness that Steeler fans are made of.

I have sat back so long and listened to how EVERYONE disrespects the Steelers-

NO matter how SUCCESSFUL we are- and Finally- now that we won the BIG ONE-
WE will never get the RESPECT that we sooo DESERVE -- that which has been comming to us for a long time!!

Cowher, the team, and the rest of this Steeler Fan base should proudly shout, "WHO dey, and of course.......WE DEY- WE DEY are da ones who won it all- so give us some G'D' RESPECT!!!!! And WHO RIDE... well...who do you guess.....

Obviously not the SeaChickens....

Stop this nonsense ---------- or go to their Forum!!!

AMEN

Ja Mein Fuhrer.

Obviously the board is under new management.

NM

Livinginthe past
02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Just give me how Cowher saying who dey will help the Bengals?

That is all I'm asking from you!

Harrison is one of the biggest smack talkers around, has been since his charger days.

How does it feel knowing Your pats are just like everyone else this year LOSERS!

How does 5th place taste?

How does it feel to loose at a place where the Steelers went in and just handed it to the Broncos?

How does it feel that even with your good 3 out of 4 years, you are still two down to the Steelers?

How does it feel that our tradition just kicks the shit out of yours?

How does it feel knowing that the Fins will take over the AFC EAST?

How does it feel knowing that you will not have a running game next year?

How does it feel to work for $8/hr?

How does it feel to still live with your mother?

How does it feel when your sister stands to piss and you SIT?

Ouch must have hit another sore spot.

Tsk tsk such profanity in the main forum....next thing you'll be hitting me with your handbag.

NM

Livinginthe past
02-09-2006, 02:23 PM
LITP has become very bitter after the Steelers Superbowl win... actually since the Pats got bounced from the playoffs. I also find his screen name funny now.

Not at all bitter - you can trust me when I say this about myself - I am totally unbiased.

Ya can't win it every year - im a realist.

The screen name does look a little funny now - but i'll stick with it - im too lazy to change.

NM

augustashark
02-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Ouch must have hit another sore spot.

Tsk tsk such profanity in the main forum....next thing you'll be hitting me with your handbag.

NM

I ask you 11 legit questions and this is your response!

Listen, if you need someone to teach you about football and how to talk about football I will be more then happy to do so.

I know that you are busy during the mornings (Dora,Blues Clues are on tv) so lets make it around say 2pm.

Livinginthe past
02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I ask you 11 legit questions and this is your response!

Listen, if you need someone to teach you about football and how to talk about football I will be more then happy to do so.

I know that you are busy during the mornings (Dora,Blues Clues are on tv) so lets make it around say 2pm.

Before you throw yourself in the deep end, why not try to ease yourself in slowly to 'football talk' - try responding to the odd topic without profanity or insults.

Maybe you could do your own review of the SB 'Refs controversial calls' video that cgesolo so kindly provided.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5256

Ill be watching your progress with limited interest.

NM

TapOut64
02-09-2006, 04:36 PM
All I know is that it made me laugh.

augustashark
02-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Before you throw yourself in the deep end, why not try to ease yourself in slowly to 'football talk' - try responding to the odd topic without profanity or insults.

Maybe you could do your own review of the SB 'Refs controversial calls' video that cgesolo so kindly provided.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=5256

Ill be watching your progress with limited interest.

NM

I'd rather not, thanks though.

Btw you completly screwed up the above thread. Your points were, well.....Pointless! Your bitching and crying about Haggens being offsides is laughable at best. You and I both know that when it comes to talking x's and o's, you come up alittle short(just like in real life). A day late and an inch short, there gave you a new screen name.

You are the most condescending prick on this msg board and I will CALL you out every chance I get.

Riddle me this mental midget, take your time though I don't want you to go crazy and use the spoon to smack your testicles again!

Tell me why you think the pats will win the afc east? Everyone is going to be picking miami! Answer this and we will continue to talk football.