PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin contract situation and Cowher

steel9guy
05-13-2010, 10:53 PM
I know this won't happen and I really like Tomlin but everyone talks about how the Steelers haven't given him a new contract yet. Isn't it a little odd that Bill Cowher is still waiting for the right job. Could he retake the team? I know the Steelers and Tomlin will likely reach a deal but am I the only one who is wondering this? Personally I want Tomlin to stay because I think he's going to be an great coach at the end of his career. :tt04::tt02::helmet:

zulater
05-13-2010, 11:10 PM
You or I have as much chance of coaching this team as Cowher does Steelguy.

Vincent
05-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I heartily doubt that Benny's "Big Night Out" would have happened during a Cowher administration. And if it had, Benny'd be on injured reserve about now.

The Rooneys are speaking through MT's "extension". It ain't there.

fansince'76
05-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I heartily doubt that Benny's "Big Night Out" would have happened during a Cowher administration.

Really? Who was the coach when "Benny" defied the advice of most and wound up face planting into a car windshield almost killing himself? Hmmm.... :scratchchin:

Vincent
05-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Really? Who was the coach when "Benny" defied the advice of most and wound up face planting into a car windshield almost killing himself? Hmmm.... :scratchchin:

That's why I think this episode would have come to blows. :chuckle:

'Sides, that was a much younger Benny.

:couch:

MACH1
05-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Arians has a better shot at being head coach than Cowher does.

fansince'76
05-13-2010, 11:29 PM
That's why I think this episode would have come to blows. :chuckle:

Ben would probably still be trying to get all the spittle off of himself. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
05-13-2010, 11:30 PM
keep your ears open around used car salesman... they got all the NFL info...:thumbsup:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5313/ericmanginilionsbrowns.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/i/ericmanginilionsbrowns.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Vincent
05-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Ben would probably still be trying to get all the spittle off of himself. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

So he "slipped". He's still on IR.

DanRooney
05-13-2010, 11:52 PM

There was no crime committed by Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet. In fact, the accident wasn't even his fault. A senile old woman failed to yield.

With the dual sexual assault allegations...who knows?

MasterOfPuppets
05-13-2010, 11:58 PM
There was no crime committed by Roethlisberger for not wearing a helmet. In fact, the accident wasn't even his fault. A senile old woman failed to yield.

did he have a motorcycle license? :popcorn:

steelerdude15
05-14-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm pretty sure that Mike will get a contract extension.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 12:17 AM

Riding without a license isn't illegal? OK.

And as far as the dual sexual assault allegations are concerned, considering no charges were filed in one case, and the other is a civil case filed by a woman possessing, shall we say, quite a lively imagination, think I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt there as to whether or not a crime was actually committed.

Vincent
05-14-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm pretty sure that Mike will get a contract extension.

If we have a stellar season he will. If not...

BlastFurnace
05-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I know the response that I will get on this, but I will throw it out there anyway. I'm a member of two other boards and there are threads on both boards where people heard Ed Bouchette say on ESPN Radio that the Rooney's are not very happy with Tomlin.

Although people will slam Bouchette, Wex, and others....it is a little strange that Tomlin hasn't been extended yet. I do believe that it will get done though.

revefsreleets
05-14-2010, 09:55 AM
keep your ears open around used car salesman... they got all the NFL info...:thumbsup:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5313/ericmanginilionsbrowns.jpg (http://img214.imageshack.us/i/ericmanginilionsbrowns.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Just to, you know, keep it real....mostly because I'm the anti-bunker map when it comes to tossing out quotes and citing sources and such.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/bill_cowher_is_a_hit_in_clevel.html

Bill Cowher is a hit in Cleveland Browns' territory

By Mike Starkey (http://connect.cleveland.com/user/mstarkey/index.html)

February 22, 2008, 12:10PM

Bill Cowher, the long-time coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, visited enemy territory today as the keynote speaker for the Cleveland Auto Show dealer's breakfast.
Cowher, who played for the Browns and later was an assistant under Marty Schottenheimer, stepped down as Steelers coach a year ago to spend time with his family. He was rumored as a possible candidate for the Browns job at the start of last season when there was speculation that Romeo Crennel might be fired.
In a question-and-answer session following his speech, Cowher was asked if he'd ever want to come back and coach in Cleveland.
"I'd love to come back," Cowher said. "If there's a place I'd like to come back to, this is it."
He quickly added, "Don't get me wrong. I'm not coming back."
Cowher, who worked as a pre-game host on CBS this past season, praised Crennel.
"Romeo has done the hard work and now he's reaping the rewards," Cowher said. "He's a great head coach and you (Browns fans) should support him."
As he finished his speech, Cowher received a standing ovation from the crowd. He was asked if he ever expected that to happen in Cleveland.
"No one would ever believe me if I told them it did," he said.

Vincent
05-14-2010, 09:55 AM
I know the response that I will get on this, but I will throw it out there anyway... the Rooney's are not very happy with Tomlin.

They're not. His job is to manage the team and he doesn't have control of it. The extension situation says it all.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I know the response that I will get on this, but I will throw it out there anyway. I'm a member of two other boards and there are threads on both boards where people heard Ed Bouchette say on ESPN Radio that the Rooney's are not very happy with Tomlin.

Although people will slam Bouchette, Wex, and others....it is a little strange that Tomlin hasn't been extended yet. I do believe that it will get done though.

Cowher walked away from the team. He quit on us before his final season even began. He just didn't care that year.

IF Tomlin were to be allowed to walk away at the end of his contract, he would have a ton of suitors. The division rival Browns and Bengals would both be interested, depending on how their respective seasons go.

As for Bouchette's claim that the Rooneys are upset with Tomlin, I cannot see why. He hasn't had a losing season, he's had two playoff appearances and won a Super Bowl.

Are they upset because of Ben's transgressions? What do they expect Tomlin to do about that? He is the Steelers head coach, not a babysitter. If the Rooneys want Ben to stay out of trouble they should do what Jerry Jones did with Pacman....hire a babysitter for him.

As for an earlier comment that Ben's sexual assault problem wouldn't have happened under a Cowher regime, I don't buy that. Bill Cowher, like Tomlin, isn't a babysitter. He can't control what players do when they aren't at the Steelers facilities. We had a player selling drugs under the Cowher regime.

X-Terminator
05-14-2010, 10:16 AM
And here we go with more "speculation" and "wishful thinking." :coffee:

I will bet that Tomlin gets his contract extension before TC starts, then we can finally put all of this "idle speculation and wishful thinking" to rest once and for all.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Are they upset because of Ben's transgressions? What do they expect Tomlin to do about that? He is the Steelers head coach, not a babysitter. If the Rooneys want Ben to stay out of trouble they should do what Jerry Jones did with Pacman....hire a babysitter for him.

As for an earlier comment that Ben's sexual assault problem wouldn't have happened under a Cowher regime, I don't buy that. Bill Cowher, like Tomlin, isn't a babysitter. He can't control what players do when they aren't at the Steelers facilities. We had a player selling drugs under the Cowher regime.

Yep, and another one (falsely) accused of sexual assault. As has been pointed out already in another thread by another poster, I can't get over the irony of people claiming that Tomlin only won a SB because of "Cowher's players," but when "Cowher's players" get in trouble, it's somehow Tomlin's fault. Can't have it both ways, folks. :coffee:

BlastFurnace
05-14-2010, 10:54 AM
And here we go with more "speculation" and "wishful thinking." :coffee:

I will bet that Tomlin gets his contract extension before TC starts, then we can finally put all of this "idle speculation and wishful thinking" to rest once and for all.

I'm certainly not wishing Tomlin to leave. Just passing along information for discussion purposes.

RoethlisBURGHer
05-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Yep, and another one (falsely) accused of sexual assault. As has been pointed out already in another thread by another poster, I can't get over the irony of people claiming that Tomlin only won a SB because of "Cowher's players," but when "Cowher's players" get in trouble, it's somehow Tomlin's fault. Can't have it both ways, folks. :coffee:

I said the exact same thing.

Cowher's players are the ones getting in trouble.

X-Terminator
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm certainly not wishing Tomlin to leave. Just passing along information for discussion purposes.

No problem, didn't intend to single you out, but rather the media (Bouchette, in this case) once again trying to create a story, IMO, and feeding the "wishes" of many Steelers fans who have had it in for Tomlin since the day he was hired.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 11:21 AM

And Tomlin is being blamed for it. But when they won the SB, Cowher got (and still gets) the credit for it by many of the same folks who now blame Tomlin for their offseason transgressions. Irony. Seems to me if Cowher won SB XLIII by proxy in these folks' minds, then he should be the one catching the flak for "his" players' transgressions, not Tomlin.

revefsreleets
05-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Why CAN'T they have it both ways?

Remember, this board also spawned a bloc of "deep thinkers" who were (and probably still are) convinced that Ben calls plays that work and Arians calls the plays that don't.

I, too, think he'll be signed by mid-summer...

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Riding without a license isn't illegal? OK.

And as far as the dual sexual assault allegations are concerned, considering no charges were filed in one case, and the other is a civil case filed by a woman possessing, shall we say, quite a lively imagination, think I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt there as to whether or not a crime was actually committed.

Oh jeez. Strap onto your belts he was riding with an expired permit. omfg.

The severity in riding with an expired permit is far less severe than two alleged sexual assaults, charges or not. Just saying that Cowher had a better hold over his team than Tomlin does. The Steelers have never had an offseason like this.

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 11:34 AM

Cowher's players are getting in trouble during the Tomlin era. You can't have it both ways. It's either Cowher's players getting in trouble and Cowher's second Super Bowl, or Tomlin's SB guys messing up big time because of his lackadaisical coaching style. It's time for him to realize that he can't use the 'they're grown men, they can do whatever they want' excuse. Obviously repercussions happen all the way down the organization even though they may be for individual stupidity.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
The severity in riding with an expired permit is far less severe than two alleged sexual assaults, charges or not. Just saying that Cowher had a better hold over his team than Tomlin does. The Steelers have never had an offseason like this.

Tomlin's a coach, not a frigging babysitter, and neither was Cowher. Pinning all this on a perceived lack of managerial/coaching acumen on behalf of the head coach is laughable.

X-Terminator
05-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Tomlin's a coach, not a frigging babysitter, and neither was Cowher. Pinning all this on a perceived lack of managerial/coaching acumen on behalf of the head coach is laughable.

But not surprising, considering many in our fanbase feel the need to find a scapegoat for everything.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the head coach being responsible for what the players do in their personal lives. So far, I'm coming up empty. Should my boss be responsible for what I do when I'm not on the clock? Come on now - use your brains!

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Cowher's players are getting in trouble during the Tomlin era. You can't have it both ways. It's either Cowher's players getting in trouble and Cowher's second Super Bowl, or Tomlin's SB guys messing up big time because of his lackadaisical coaching style. It's time for him to realize that he can't use the 'they're grown men, they can do whatever they want' excuse. Obviously repercussions happen all the way down the organization even though they may be for individual stupidity.

A franchise QB almost dying as a result of riding on an expired permit was really no big deal though, right? Seems to me by your logic if Cowher had such masterful command of his players' offseason behavior, it wouldn't have happened.

memphissteelergirl
05-14-2010, 11:49 AM
No problem, didn't intend to single you out, but rather the media (Bouchette, in this case) once again trying to create a story, IMO, and feeding the "wishes" of many Steelers fans who have had it in for Tomlin since the day he was hired.

You got that right, X.

revefsreleets
05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm LOLing at this thread...

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 11:53 AM
But not surprising, considering many in our fanbase feel the need to find a scapegoat for everything.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept of the head coach being responsible for what the players do in their personal lives. So far, I'm coming up empty. Should my boss be responsible for what I do when I'm not on the clock? Come on now - use your brains!

Would your boss still have you employed if you were accused of sexual assault by two different woman twice in one year? How about if your actions caused his company to be fined? Say you were one of the most important people in your company and the CEO said you were indefinitely leave without pay for 3 months out of year because it was giving the company a tarnished image. I'd be willing to say your boss wouldn't be too happy with you. I'm pretty sure he would at least have a talk with you and say if you get yourself into this mess again, you have to go. That's what the Rooney's basically told Ben. While Tomlin, clueless as ever, said 'he's a grown man...'

I think I've made my point.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Would your boss still have you employed if you were accused of sexual assault by two different woman twice in one year? How about if your actions caused his company to be fined? Say you were one of the most important people in your company and the CEO said you were indefinitely leave without pay for 3 months out of year because it was giving the company a tarnished image. I'd be willing to say your boss wouldn't be too happy with you. I'm pretty sure he would at least have a talk with you and say if you get yourself into this mess again, you have to go. That's what the Rooney's basically told Ben. While Tomlin, clueless as ever, said 'he's a grown man...'

Not Tomlin's call as to whether Ben remains employed with the Steelers or not. Wouldn't have been Cowher's either. And you know for a fact that Tomlin and Ben didn't talk behind closed doors about this? OK.

Yes you did, a ridiculously deeply flawed one.

memphissteelergirl
05-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Not Tomlin's call as to whether Ben remains employed with the Steelers or not. Wouldn't have been Cowher's either. And you know for a fact that Tomlin and Ben didn't talk behind closed doors about this? OK.

*golf clap*

Well played, sir! :applaudit:

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Whether he did or not is unknown. You're dealing with ifs while I'm dealing with facts. We do know Tomlin merely said 'he's a grown ass man' to all of his offseason adventures like an assclown. You don't say those kind of things publicly like that involving something of this severity. Since you've been a supposed fan since '76, don't you find it odd that the Rooney's haven't extended his contract?

Contrary to what you believe, there are careers in this world where you have to hold a good image in and outside your job. Most military officers, most CEOs of big companies, etc. I really don't know if you work at a fast food joint or are a manager of Sony but these things should be well known, especially of someone of your age.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Whether he did or not is unknown. You're dealing with ifs while I'm dealing with facts. We do know Tomlin merely said 'he's a grown ass man' to all of his offseason adventures like an assclown. You don't say those kind of things publicly like that involving something of this severity.

Fine, Mr. PR Expert, what the hell was he supposed to say?

Contrary to what you believe, there are jobs in this world where you have to hold a good image in and outside your job. Most military officers, most CEOs of big companies, etc. I really don't know if you work at a fast food joint or are a manager of Sony but these things should be well known, especially of someone of your age.

Yeah, no shit. That's why he was suspended. Also ultimately not Tomlin's call. That was my point. Tomlin's his coach, not his mother. Tomlin also doesn't sign his paychecks, the Rooneys do. And attempting to compare the standards of military conduct to the standards of conduct of NFL players? Again, laughable.

Curtain_of_Steel
05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Its Ben fault cowher won't be coaching here. Just another thing we can blame Ben on, lol

I'll take Tomlin.

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Fine, Mr. PR Expert, what the hell was he supposed to say?

Maybe something on the lines of 'with the severity of the issue I'm going to talk to Ben about his questionable decisions and putting himself in these situations behind closed doors.' I think it would come off a little more professional than 'he's a grown ass man, he can do whatever he wants.'

Yeah, no shit. That's why he was suspended. Also ultimately not Tomlin's call. That was my point. Tomlin's his coach, not his mother. Tomlin also doesn't sign his paychecks, the Rooneys do.

The point is the suspension could have possibly been avoided if Tomlin stepped in after the McNulty crap.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
The point is the suspension could have possibly been avoided if Tomlin stepped in after the McNulty crap.

The McNutty crap was, is, and always will be nothing more than a cash grab.

kirklandrules
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
So let's take a look at some high level facts regarding Ben and see if we can blame Tomlin:

Ben crashes head first riding his bike without a helmet even though Cowher and others provided clear warning
Ben is accused of sexual assault by an obvious nutjob looking for a pay day, causing him to pay a ton for a high-priced lawyer
Ben goes out on his birthday, in Georgia, accompanied by 2 off-duty policy officers as body guards and a +300lbs right tackle. He's accused of sexual assult and has to pay his expensive legal team more.

Now, hindsight is 20/20, but what the hell was Tomlin supposed to do after the second point? If the "victim" in the second point wasn't a wack-job, then maybe Tomlin should have locked him down. But knowing she's a nut, not sure you really say anything more than "make better choices of who you're popping, son".

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 12:26 PM
The McNutty crap was, is, and always will be nothing more than a cash grab.

I agree.

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 12:29 PM
It's not just Tomlin with Ben. James Harrison had his domestic dispute, Jeff Reed is fighting towel dispensers, Spaeth is pissing in public, and Santonio couldn't seem to stop smoking weed. I mean if I was coaching this team I would be beyond pissed off at this point.

X-Terminator
05-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Yes you have, while completely missing my point. If I do something stupid and it ultimately harms the company's image, then yes, I can be fired. Other than that, the company is not interested in what I do in my personal life, period, and it is NOT his job to monitor me 24x7 to make sure I'm on the straight and narrow, which is exactly what you think Tomlin should be doing. Point is, my boss is my EMPLOYER, not my babysitter, and if I get into trouble, it's MY fault, not his.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 12:42 PM
It's not just Tomlin with Ben. James Harrison had his domestic dispute, Jeff Reed is fighting towel dispensers, Spaeth is pissing in public, and Santonio couldn't seem to stop smoking weed. I mean if I was coaching this team I would be beyond pissed off at this point.

Yeah, our team was full of choirboys when Cowher was running the ship.

12/24/01: Plaxico Burress - Cited for carrying an open bottle of Corona beer in Cleveland at 1:45 a.m. Christmas Eve, arrest warrant issued when he failed to appear

5/11/02: Plaxico Burress - Arrested on a charge of public intoxication in Virginia Beach, Va.

7/12/02: Marvel Smith - Arrested on marijuana possession charges in Tempe, Ariz.

2/18/06: Trai Essex - Arrested, charged with disorderly conduct at nightclub in Miami.

5/27/06: Santonio Holmes - Holmes was among hundreds of people arrested for disorderly conduct as part of a police crackdown on revelers who annually converge on Miami Beach during the Memorial Day weekend.

6/19/06: Santonio Holmes - Holmes was arrested and charged by Columbus, Ohio, police with two misdemeanor counts of domestic violence and simple assault.

8/6/06: Barrett Brooks - Arrested after fleeing from Pittsburgh police on a motorcycle and charged with fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, driving at an unsafe speed and other traffic violations.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

And that's just what happened between 2000-06, not 1992-99. Also not included was the (false) allegation against Bettis in '02 for sexual assault.

X-Terminator
05-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, our team was full of choirboys when Cowher was running the ship.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/nfl/arrests-database/

And that's just what happened between 2000-06, not 1992-99.

None of that matters, because what's happening now would not have ever happened under Cowher, because he ruled with an iron chin...even though other players kept getting into trouble. It was all an illusion.

Using DanRooney's logic, all of those incidents must have been Cowher's fault for not holding their hands every hour of every day like he expects Mike Tomlin to do.

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
None of that matters, because what's happening now would not have ever happened under Cowher, because he ruled with an iron chin...even though other players kept getting into trouble. It was all an illusion.

Using DanRooney's logic, all of those incidents must have been Cowher's fault for not holding their hands every hour of every day like he expects Mike Tomlin to do.

Players get into trouble all over the NFL on all teams. But on offseason like we've had in the past two years with the quality of players? Not even close. Big deal of Sean Mahan or Chucky Okobi gets a public intoxication charge. Having your star players being suspended for X amount of games is an entirely different situation.

I didn't say anything was Tomlin's fault. You're making up stupid conclusions. I'm saying Tomlin should man up and take control of his team. Not turn the shoulder and say they can do whatever they want. His job is to WIN games. He's not going to do that with Dennis Dixon and Randle El in the starting lineup. Sorry.

fansince'76
05-14-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm saying Tomlin should man up and take control of his team. Not turn the shoulder and say they can do whatever they want. His job is to WIN games. He's not going to do that with Dennis Dixon and Randle El in the starting lineup. Sorry.

Even if Tomlin would have taken a sterner tone publicly regarding the Georgia incident than he did, the damage had pretty much already been done and Ben still would've gotten six games. :noidea:

X-Terminator
05-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Players get into trouble all over the NFL on all teams. But on offseason like we've had in the past two years with the quality of players? Not even close. Big deal of Sean Mahan or Chucky Okobi gets a public intoxication charge. Having your star players being suspended for X amount of games is an entirely different situation.

I didn't say anything was Tomlin's fault. You're making up stupid conclusions. I'm saying Tomlin should man up and take control of his team. Not turn the shoulder and say they can do whatever they want. His job is to WIN games. He's not going to do that with Dennis Dixon and Randle El in the starting lineup. Sorry.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention much to the types of players being suspended around the league. Burress ring a bell? How about Vick? You think the Steelers are the first team to have star players suspended by the league??? Burress getting himself suspended pretty much KILLED the Giants last season and exposed Eli as the mediocre QB that he is. So this sort of thing isn't exactly new.

And really, to agree with FS76, what good would it have done for him to take a sterner voice after the Ben incident? Plus, I think the fact that Tomlin was NOT present when Ben gave his initial statement after standing behind him the first time speaks for itself. I think that sent a very clear message to Ben, and by proxy, the team, that enough is enough. You can SAY anything you want...but actions speak FAR louder.

DanRooney
05-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Apparently you haven't been paying attention much to the types of players being suspended around the league. Burress ring a bell? How about Vick? You think the Steelers are the first team to have star players suspended by the league??? Burress getting himself suspended pretty much KILLED the Giants last season and exposed Eli as the mediocre QB that he is. So this sort of thing isn't exactly new.

And really, to agree with FS76, what good would it have done for him to take a sterner voice after the Ben incident? Plus, I think the fact that Tomlin was NOT present when Ben gave his initial statement after standing behind him the first time speaks for itself. I think that sent a very clear message to Ben, and by proxy, the team, that enough is enough. You can SAY anything you want...but actions speak FAR louder.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the Giants but their WRs were the least of their concerns last year.

We lost our #1 WR for the season (sort of speak) much plus Ben is suspended for 4-6 games. Vick's crime was by far the worst but it seems like our organization was punished the worst. You didn't see Art Rooney say, "Ben can do what he wants. I don't care if he does it again next year."

X-Terminator
05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the Giants but their WRs were the least of their concerns last year.

We lost our #1 WR for the season (sort of speak) much plus Ben is suspended for 4-6 games. Vick's crime was by far the worst but it seems like our organization was punished the worst.

No, but Burress being out definitely didn't help matters.

And I agree that the Steelers were punished the worst, and I don't feel they should have. Not by a long shot. What Ben allegedly did and what Vick and Burress did aren't even in the same area code based on the simple fact that Ben was never charged with anything other than being a dumbass. Blame the idiot "commissioner" for that.

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-14-2010, 07:55 PM
The head coach IS NOT RESPONSIBLE for micro-managing what his players are doing of every moment of the offseason when the guys ARE NOT ON THE CLOCK.

If you guys are noticing a change in policy and "the way things are run" with the Steelers, you are missing the personnel change that actually has some bearing on this, the way we handle player contracts, player discipline, team standards, and policies-- not Mike Tomlin, but the absence of the elder statesman, Mr. Rooney.

Since turing the team over to his son, the Steelers have made SOME changes to the way they do business. They never used to sign aging players to $57 million contracts, $102 million contracts. They used to be a run-first team.

As with all major changes, there will be an adjustment period. But in the end, persistence wins, and so will the Steelers. Mike Tomlin is not going anywhere....

rick723
05-14-2010, 11:51 PM

SHE is lucky Ben didn't break out his Johnny and shove it at her, he may have if he could of got his face out the windshield.

steelersfan782
05-15-2010, 03:09 AM
Get rid of Tomlin and bring Cowher back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be the best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!

stillers4me
05-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Ariens hasn't gotten offered a contract extension, yet, either. What are the odds that one of them stays and one of them goes?

Michael Keller
05-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I am hoping Tomlin does not get his extension this year. He has much to do before I am convinced he is a capable head coach. Now I am sincerely hoping that he does do a great job this year and he gets his extension or renewal but I want to be convinced.
1-He does not seem to be in the flow of the game standing on the sidelines.
2-When he make side line decisions they are often absolutely terrible. i am not sure he can think on his feet.
3-The Steelers seem to get beaten in the second half and often the 4th quarter that indicates the possibiity of poor half time coaching adjustments.
4-He makes statements to the press and he does not follow up. He impresses me as a BSer and i do not think he is even a good one.

Trust me I hope I am wrong but what is the proof? Getting back to the play offs and getting back to Steeler football. He deserves this chance for at least one more year. I likie organizational stability and not firing a coach for bad season or two and he is young but I not certain he is the man for the job.

STEELAMANIA
05-15-2010, 11:22 AM
NO WAY does Cowher ever come back to the Steelers. It took him too long to find a qb and stop playing Martyball. He was a great motivator and players coach, but I hoped he learned that the qb was the most important position on his team.......

STEELAMANIA
05-15-2010, 11:25 AM
I am hoping Tomlin does not get his extension this year. He has much to do before I am convinced he is a capable head coach. Now I am sincerely hoping that he does do a great job this year and he gets his extension or renewal but I want to be convinced.
1-He does not seem to be in the flow of the game standing on the sidelines.
2-When he make side line decisions they are often absolutely terrible. i am not sure he can think on his feet.
3-The Steelers seem to get beaten in the second half and often the 4th quarter that indicates the possibiity of poor half time coaching adjustments.
4-He makes statements to the press and he does not follow up. He impresses me as a BSer and i do not think he is even a good one.

Trust me I hope I am wrong but what is the proof? Getting back to the play offs and getting back to Steeler football. He deserves this chance for at least one more year. I likie organizational stability and not firing a coach for bad season or two and he is young but I not certain he is the man for the job.

There arent any coaches out there who can replace Tomlin. Not right now......Name one if you can hahahahhaa

43Hitman
05-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Since when are grown men not accountable for their actions? I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how it's Tomlin's or Cowher's fault for some of the players acting like idiots. I think people just need to let this National Enquirer type of stuff go and start focusing on some of the more positive aspects of the team. You know, like some of the nice signings we had this off-season and that we probably just drafted a stud Center for the next 10 or so years.

43Hitman
05-15-2010, 11:44 AM
He impresses me as a BSer and i do not think he is even a good one.

Wha? :uhh: So is he a good BSer or not? :confused:

St33lersguy
05-15-2010, 12:52 PM
I seriously doubt Cowher will coach the steelers

steel9guy
05-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Personally I love Tomlin as our coach. We had a bad year. Cowher had bad years too.....

devilsdancefloor
05-15-2010, 09:04 PM
you who thing tomlin is gone i am wondering if you and tone been hitting the weed at 420. We change head coaches ever few decades unlike the stains who change every few years. Coaches get paid to coach NOT hold the hands of their players. If you want to go as far to say every player that has gotten in trouble was drafted or signed by the cowher staff. I dont think that the chin would have done anything different then what coach tomlin has done. As far as placing ben on IR that is in itself one of the funiest things i have read here in a long time.I am sure the chin would have chewed on bens ass for a while, but who says coach tomiln hasnt done the same thing shit rolls down hill i am sure Art II chewed on tomlin a bit and in turn coach did some chewing of his own. I am looking forward to many years of tomlin being our coach. :drink::tt03::tt03:

Michael Keller
05-16-2010, 03:18 PM
There arent any coaches out there who can replace Tomlin. Not right now......Name one if you can hahahahhaa

Please explain to me when you say "Not right now".

steelreserve
05-16-2010, 06:27 PM
The way Cowher mailed it in during his last season, I'm not exactly clamoring to have him back. Did we all forget about that? And as I recall, he also had quite a reputation for choking away the big games and making some questionable play-calling decisions in those games.

Meh. The grass is always greener.

HometownGal
05-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Since when are grown men not accountable for their actions? I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how it's Tomlin's or Cowher's fault for some of the players acting like idiots. I think people just need to let this National Enquirer type of stuff go and start focusing on some of the more positive aspects of the team. You know, like some of the nice signings we had this off-season and that we probably just drafted a stud Center for the next 10 or so years.

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

Best post of the thread and I agree 100%. :drink:

Michael Keller
05-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Wha? :uhh: So is he a good BSer or not? :confused:

Depends upon the failure or sucess of his efforts. Forced to answer the questions today I would say he BSed his way with the Rooneys to get the job. Really did a poor job of making statements last season and not backing them up. Like pending lineup changes. Adding to this opinion if he does not get a contract extension this year it is a sign that Art Rooney has reservations also.

Quite frankly he does not impress me in substance or style. I simply do not observe any great coaching qualities. [B] I encourage you to enlighten me if in fact you do see such qualities. [/B I will respectfully consider them .

]Trust me I want to be wrong and The next two seasons will give MT the chance to prove he is worthy of the job.

Edman
05-17-2010, 10:40 AM
If the Rooneys (Art II in particular) are upset with Tomlin because of Ben's lack of maturity for a 28-year old grown man, then I really don't like the direction this team and organization is going.

markymarc
05-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Mike Tomlin is a very good head coach and should and will be our coach in the future.

JackHammer
05-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Yeah and Eric Peagram was snorting coke and missing drugs tests so he could go to the NBA all star game, and Bam Morris was getting caught with pounds of weed in his car, and Greg Lloyd was abusing his son....... all under Cowher's watch.....

rich4eagle
05-19-2010, 08:05 PM
:tt02::tt03:I know this won't happen and I really like Tomlin but everyone talks about how the Steelers haven't given him a new contract yet. Isn't it a little odd that Bill Cowher is still waiting for the right job. Could he retake the team? I know the Steelers and Tomlin will likely reach a deal but am I the only one who is wondering this? Personally I want Tomlin to stay because I think he's going to be an great coach at the end of his career. :tt04::tt02::helmet:

So far Tomlin has been vastly overrated. His game decisions and all have not been overwhelming rather less that sufficient.

Maybe, just maybe Cowher will I want to come back..........and he would be an upgrade in my view:tt04::tt03::tt03:

ricksteelers55
05-19-2010, 10:50 PM
I think it would be easier to just say,look I wish we have Bill Cowher back or I love Tomlin better instead of starting the comparison game.

I believe that at some point yes Tomlin benefit a very good team and well coached left by Cowher.

But I also believe that Tomlin helped our secondary to get better(not last year) when we won SB 43.

I admit that I liked Cowher better because I like his style better then the smooth and close to players type but it doesnt mean I want Tomlin to go or dont like him.I just think Bill was the identity of the Steelers and was the coach when I started cheering for the Steelers(1994).

Overall only the Rooneys know what they want to do with Tomlin's contract and if he is on the hot seat,but no matter what happen we will always have a good man who can help us win it all.

BTW: I think that if we really want to see what kind of coach Tomlin is we will have to wait another 3 to 5 years until he really has ''HIS'' team.So no more ''it was Cowher's team'' it will be his team.

DanRooney
05-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah and Eric Peagram was snorting coke and missing drugs tests so he could go to the NBA all star game, and Bam Morris was getting caught with pounds of weed in his car, and Greg Lloyd was abusing his son....... all under Cowher's watch.....

Cowher was our coach for 15 years.

Tomlin has been our coach for 3. At this rate we'll make the Bengals roster look like choir boys.

Steeldude
05-20-2010, 12:44 AM
i think many people feel tomlin won a SB based on a team the cowher era built. similar to switzer winning his SB. IMO, tomlin is a talker who hasn't grasped on how to achieve what he preaches. i am most interested on seeing how this year works out. another poor, underachieving season and he may be gone.

that being said, i wouldn't blame tomlin for everything last year. there are other items that come into play also.

memphissteelergirl
05-20-2010, 09:29 AM
For now and the forseeable future, Mike Tomlin is the coach.

I suggest some of you malcontents get the eff over it.

X-Terminator
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
For now and the forseeable future, Mike Tomlin is the coach.

I suggest some of you malcontents get the eff over it.

This.

If it were up to the malcontents, we'd be the Raiders or Redskins, changing coaches every 2 years. I don't know about you, but I'd rather NOT have the Steelers turn into either of those teams.

steelax04
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't understand how "Cowher's Team" carried Tomlin to his SB victory, but they couldn't carry Cowher through his lame duck season.

BigBen'sSwagger
05-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Wow

This thread is growing faster than I can keep up!!!

Who's to say that the Rooney's are not impressed with the way Mike is handling the team on the field instead of off it???

I can not agree more that no matter who the coach is they can not control every player all the time. It is not their job to do so. It is their job as to how they get the team to perform and so maybe just maybe that is where the issue is.

Remember the last Superbowl season? Seemed all year long the Defense carried the Offense. I particularly remember the cryboys game when the D kept giving the O chance after chance in their end of the field to get some early points and they couldn't do a damn thing. Then in the closing minutes Ben leads us on a final drive that ties the game and finally the D closed the deal with a pick 6. I am not so sure the Rooney's were all that impressed with the way the Offense performed and maybe they think like some of us that Ben not B.A. were the reasons for those late game wins.

3rd and one against the worst rush defense and we go empty set!?!?!? They not only were the worst but were also missing starters!?!?!? Real head scratcher, but rather than get rid of B.A. we keep him. HMMM

pittguy578
05-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I think people are forgetting that when it comes to marketing, perception is reality. The Rooneys are concerned because of a fan revolt. The Rooney's pride themselves on the "Steelers Image" -good citizens on and off the field-putting the team first, hard working, not full of egomaniacs. If the Steelers lose that image, they become just another NFL franchise and lose their luster. The Rooney's have never dealt with this kind of turmoil of the field. Yes, Ben have have ridden his motorcycle without a helmet under Cowher...and that was dumb of Ben, but that didn't call his character into question-people thought that was dumb, but it didn't make the public think he was a "bad person" which is what most people think now. I do not think Tomlin has the respect of his players in terms of looking to him for leadership and guidance-they look at him as a peer. not an elder. Coaches and players will come and go, but image is something that takes a lifetime to build and it can be gone in a second and image in the NFL=money.

pittguy578
05-20-2010, 08:19 PM
i think many people feel tomlin won a SB based on a team the cowher era built. similar to switzer winning his SB. IMO, tomlin is a talker who hasn't grasped on how to achieve what he preaches. i am most interested on seeing how this year works out. another poor, underachieving season and he may be gone.

that being said, i wouldn't blame tomlin for everything last year. there are other items that come into play also.

Cowher and Tomlin won under the teams the Rooney's built. The Rooney formula has been working since the 70's when they perfected it-that is proven by the numbers in terms of playoff games, playoff wins, and SB trophies. The Steelers always make sure their head coaches have a top notch staff, and the Rooneys make sure they draft "good" players who can keep their egos in check in terms of putting the team first.

A head coach is part babysitter and part ego checker. I think Bill Cowher kept everyone's ego in check and made sure no one was bigger than the team-and if someone messed up off the field, they would be hearing about it and get their asses chewed out, if not dropped from the team or reduced playing time. I can't picture Tomlin getting in these guys faces and putting the smack down when they need it.

zulater
05-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Maybe the reluctance of the Rooney's to extend Tomlin's contract is due to the uncertain labor situation football finds itself in? As of now there's probably less than a 50/50 chance there's going to be a 2011 season, so why be locked into paying a coach millions of dollars not to coach?

Or maybe there's some sort of language they're working on in case of a lockout where they'll pay Tomlin a portion of his salary and they're just trying to work out the details? Maybe they're even hoping that someone else lays the groundwork for that sort of stipulation so they don't have to come across as the heavy?

scsteeler
05-21-2010, 12:02 AM
I heartily doubt that Benny's "Big Night Out" would have happened during a Cowher administration. And if it had, Benny'd be on injured reserve about now.

The Rooneys are speaking through MT's "extension". It ain't there.

If you are saying that Tomlin is the reason Ben is doing what he is doing then you are way wrong. It seems Ben's situation has been going on since he became a Steeler but is now just coming to light. No coach can control what a player does on his own time.