PDA

View Full Version : Why the Pittsburgh Steelers Should Run the Option

Galax Steeler
05-16-2010, 07:02 AM
Gone are the days of Bill Cowher in Pittsburghóand with him the days of an unexpected play.

No more passes from the wide receivers or the running backs, no more reverses, and no more throwing the defense off of their game.

Iím proposing that the Pittsburgh Steelers bring that age back.

Letís throw something at opposing defenses that stop them in their tracks and leaves them scratching their heads in wonder and amazement.

Letís run the option.

Letís give it a shot. At least for the first four games when the team will be without Ben Roethlisberger. Letís give Dennis Dixon, Maurkice Pouncey, and Jonathan Dwyer a shot at running an offense that all three are very familiar with.

Iím not suggesting that we make it the centerpiece nor the focus of the offense, but letís at least run it a few times.

If Bruce Arians wanted, he could make the veer work in the NFL. At least for a time.

Think about it, not only are the Steelers going to need an offensive spark with our most prolific playmaker sidelined for a quarter of the season, but three players at the least would be put in an offensive scheme in which they have excelled in the past.

Of course, I doubt it happens because Arians is comfortable with running his offense his way and no one elseís opinion matters. We all know how that goes.

Not to mention it would make the fullback a central point of the offense, perhaps allowing Dwyer and Mendenhall to be in the same backfield, and that would go against Arians's offensive scheme as well.

But, look at it this way.

If it DOES happen, Dixon has the speed and agility to get off to a fast start and certainly has the footwork to make some defenders miss no matter how big or fast they are. Look at the Ravens game when he got out of the pocket.

In reality, the option is never going to be a legitimate NFL offense, especially not in a Bruce Arians-run Pittsburgh offense, but it can and has worked for many of the players that are currently on the roster.

Iím afraid, though, that to make it through the games sans Roethlisberger that the team is going to need a shock value aspect to it.

At any rate, thinking outside of the box is never a bad thing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/392356-pittsburgh-steelers-options-everywhere

I know this is from the Bleacherreport but to me it makes alot of sense to do this. Though it will never happen.

St33lersguy
05-16-2010, 07:21 AM
It ain't going to happen because it doesn't involve lining up 4 or 5 WRs in the shotgun on obvious running downs.

Cmdurand21
05-16-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't think Dixon ran an option in college. Doesn't Oregon play a Spread?

Either way, the Option has never worked in the NFL for a reason. The "Wildcat" is a different story. I'm sure they will get creative with the ball either way.

Chidi29
05-16-2010, 09:14 AM
This just reeks of another "Bash Arians" article.

solardave
05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Gone are the days of Bill Cowher in Pittsburghóand with him the days of an unexpected play.

No more passes from the wide receivers or the running backs, no more reverses, and no more throwing the defense off of their game.

Iím proposing that the Pittsburgh Steelers bring that age back.

Letís throw something at opposing defenses that stop them in their tracks and leaves them scratching their heads in wonder and amazement.

Letís run the option.

Letís give it a shot. At least for the first four games when the team will be without Ben Roethlisberger. Letís give Dennis Dixon, Maurkice Pouncey, and Jonathan Dwyer a shot at running an offense that all three are very familiar with.

Iím not suggesting that we make it the centerpiece nor the focus of the offense, but letís at least run it a few times.

If Bruce Arians wanted, he could make the veer work in the NFL. At least for a time.

Think about it, not only are the Steelers going to need an offensive spark with our most prolific playmaker sidelined for a quarter of the season, but three players at the least would be put in an offensive scheme in which they have excelled in the past.

Of course, I doubt it happens because Arians is comfortable with running his offense his way and no one elseís opinion matters. We all know how that goes.

Not to mention it would make the fullback a central point of the offense, perhaps allowing Dwyer and Mendenhall to be in the same backfield, and that would go against Arians's offensive scheme as well.

But, look at it this way.

If it DOES happen, Dixon has the speed and agility to get off to a fast start and certainly has the footwork to make some defenders miss no matter how big or fast they are. Look at the Ravens game when he got out of the pocket.

In reality, the option is never going to be a legitimate NFL offense, especially not in a Bruce Arians-run Pittsburgh offense, but it can and has worked for many of the players that are currently on the roster.

Iím afraid, though, that to make it through the games sans Roethlisberger that the team is going to need a shock value aspect to it.

At any rate, thinking outside of the box is never a bad thing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/392356-pittsburgh-steelers-options-everywhere

I know this is from the Bleacherreport but to me it makes alot of sense to do this. Though it will never happen.

You never know. We just might see some option plays. Arains is hard headed but I also think if he screws up this year (meaning we don't run more) he may not last the season.
So far we are staying with the Rooney philosophy but we have other owners now and they will have a say. I foresee suttle changes starting this year. For one less faith in Tomlin if we don't win more games than 9. I think that's why they're not negotiating his extension. He is on a short leash. NFL I'm affraid even with the Steelers stands for Not For Long!

Steely McSmash
05-16-2010, 11:19 AM
I think they're more risk adverse with the QB in the pro so he's not going to run that much.

Also, in the NFL, the speed in the backfield makes it difficult to have success with the option.

That's why the wildcat makes sense, it's an option offense with no risk to the QB. The pre-snap motions make it difficult for the whole defensive team to flow to one side.

NEPAsteeler
05-16-2010, 11:21 AM
FIRE ARIANS! :chuckle: :flap:

St33lersguy
05-16-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't care what we run as long as it is not whatever that system is called that Arians likes to run

Steelerfreak58
05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
The speed of the NFL doesn't allow the Option as much of an option. Every player on a defense moves laterally way too quickly and closes off a field side to make it a viable play. Not to mention the value of a QB in the NFL and the possibility of a running start hit from multiple players.

MasterOfPuppets
05-16-2010, 05:53 PM
the option never has , and never will, work in the NFL

steeldawg
05-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Ummm No!

steelreserve
05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Either way, the Option has never worked in the NFL for a reason.

the option never has , and never will, work in the NFL

The option works fine in the NFL when you use it as a trick play. We used to do that in the Slash days and have quite a bit of success.

Basically, I don't care whether it's the option or the fleaflicker or something else, but we really ought to be mixing in a few surprises on offense. That's one dimension that's been completely MIA since Cowher quit on us.

I'm sure someone will completely misread that and say "OMG U JUST WANT TO RUN THE WILDCAT EVERY PLAY, WHY R U SO STUPID LOOK HOW WELL IT WORKED FOR MIAMI THEY DIDNT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS OMG U WANT KORDELL TO BE THE QB ILL JUST TRUST THE COASHING STAFF INSTEAD OF U THANKS" ... to which I say, that wasn't what I meant a all, so EABOD.

Galax Steeler
05-17-2010, 04:27 AM
If Dixon fills in for Big Ben then I can see it a working. I just feel like we are going to have to throw something at them while Ben is out. If Leftwich gets the start then there is no way it will work.

solardave
05-17-2010, 05:02 AM
If Dixon fills in for Big Ben then I can see it a working. I just feel like we are going to have to throw something at them while Ben is out. If Leftwich gets the start then there is no way it will work.

If Leftwich starts I can see us using Dixon like we did Stewart in his rookie year like a slash player. Run the wildcat with him.