PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Inc. on Bryant McFadden

mesaSteeler
05-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Scouts Inc. on Bryant McFadden
May, 17, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

By James Walker

Cornerback Bryant McFadden is back with the Pittsburgh Steelers after a one-year hiatus, and based on the team's recent minicamp, he is the favorite to be the starter in 2010.

McFadden took more money last season to sign a free-agent deal with the Arizona Cardinals, only to be traded back to Pittsburgh on draft day. The AFC North blog checked in with Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson to get a recap on McFadden last season and to look ahead.

Williamson: "I thought McFadden was mildly disappointing in Arizona. The expectations may have been a little too high, and I don’t think his supporting cast helped him as much as it did in Pittsburgh -- the pass rush wasn’t as strong. They asked McFadden to do a little more man [coverage] than he would’ve liked. He is ideally suited to be a little ways off the line, letting things develop in front of him, and attack things vigorously downhill to try and break the play up. He does that really well, and I think that's generally what the Steelers ask out of their corners. Not to mention, with all the off-the-field things that have gone on in Pittsburgh, I don't think it's a coincidence they've brought back several strong locker room guys from the Super Bowl teams."

steelerdude15
05-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I'm very glad that we brought back McFadden. I'm also happy we brought back ARE and Foote, more leadership in the locker room and on the field. Troy and Aaron are back healthy and we got a great first round draft pick. Even with the Ben accusation and Holmes being traded, it's been a pretty good offseason. :thumbsup:

Steeldude
05-18-2010, 01:35 AM
i hope mcfadden plays a lot better than he has in the past.

with polamalu back lebeau won't play the weak defense he was playing last year.

mikeyg
05-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Scouts Inc. on Bryant McFadden
May, 17, 2010
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

By James Walker

Cornerback Bryant McFadden is back with the Pittsburgh Steelers after a one-year hiatus, and based on the team's recent minicamp, he is the favorite to be the starter in 2010.

McFadden took more money last season to sign a free-agent deal with the Arizona Cardinals, only to be traded back to Pittsburgh on draft day. The AFC North blog checked in with Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson to get a recap on McFadden last season and to look ahead.

Williamson: "I thought McFadden was mildly disappointing in Arizona. The expectations may have been a little too high, and I don’t think his supporting cast helped him as much as it did in Pittsburgh -- the pass rush wasn’t as strong. They asked McFadden to do a little more man [coverage] than he would’ve liked. He is ideally suited to be a little ways off the line, letting things develop in front of him, and attack things vigorously downhill to try and break the play up. He does that really well, and I think that's generally what the Steelers ask out of their corners. Not to mention, with all the off-the-field things that have gone on in Pittsburgh, I don't think it's a coincidence they've brought back several strong locker room guys from the Super Bowl teams."

I always felt McFadden was over-rated. He is a decent corner, but not elite. We did well not to overpay him, although our mistake was not locking him up the year b4 FA - but with his agent (Rosenhaus I think), we knew it was going to be a challenge to keep him

that being said, he is clearly an upgrade over our debacle from last year. He is not a top 20 guy in this league, but he does fit well into our system

LambertLunatic
05-18-2010, 08:20 AM

He played pretty good in the past. He didn't play well last year, but I think that was just a case of him being in the wrong system. He's proven himself in our system.

I also think that Gay will be a good player for us. He played the nickle pretty good in 2008 and also filled in nicely that same year when subbing for an injured mcfadden. Although he played poorly last year, I think that was an abnormalty for him. I might catch some heat for saying this, but I look for our secondary to be the best it's been in a long time.

solardave
05-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I think with B-mac starting we will improve in pass coverage. He knows our system and if Troy stays healthy we will be pretty good.

wootawnee
05-18-2010, 10:12 AM
B-mac is a stellar football player......He hits and tackles as good as any corner in the league.......He is one of the exceptions that could become a saftey if he wanted to......Glad to have ya back B-mac......

BlastFurnace
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm thrilled to have him back.

vasteeler
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM

i really hope they have a better plan this year incase he goes down again

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Another good thing about bringing Foote and McFadden back is I can break this picture out again.

http://www.everyjoe.com/emqb/files/2008/12/espnmagdec292008cover_edited-2.jpg

Well no Townsend but its still a sweet photo.

I loved that 2008 defense.

[<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WfIE2cPgbr4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WfIE2cPgbr4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

polamalubeast
05-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Another good thing about bringing Foote and McFadden back is I can break this picture out again.

http://www.everyjoe.com/emqb/files/2008/12/espnmagdec292008cover_edited-2.jpg

Well no Townsend but its still a sweet photo.

I loved that 2008 defense.

I love :tt03::hug:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I thought that McFadden was gonna be a bust when we picked him, because he got burnt in man coverage a lot in college. But, he did play "off man" very well for us as a Steeler and apparently struggled in more of a true man system with the Crydinals.

2 big things about this fact...............McFadden coming back to play in an off man system that better suits him is good. I think Joe Burnett is potentially better in playing off man coverage than McFadden is. :jawdrop: and I havent even seen if Keenan Lewis is weighing 199 lbs or 215lbs this season.

stillers4me
05-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I have that 2008 defense picture with them all around Dick Lebeau in the locker room. We may even be able to get Dick Lebeau to sign it for us. A friend of my husband's plays softball with Coach Dad's son here in Cinci and he said he can get it signed by the Great One himself!